RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/12/19 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its 1 game. Its a lot harder in the WNBA when you have to perform every game. I will wait for the wnba season to see if she is the real deal and can be compared to the likes of Taurasi and Bird.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/12/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird is an exceptional athlete, and in her 20s, was much quicker and faster than Sabrina. It's hard to remember, seeing them in their decline phase, but she and Taurasi were better pure athletes than Sabrina.

All that said, of course, Sabrina's court vision and grasp of the game is off the charts, and can make up for a lot. She's also strong, and like Ticha Penicheiro, uses her size to keep smaller players off her, so she will be able to negate some quickness issues.

It will be very interesting to see how she adjusts, and how quickly. We tend to underestimate the pure athleticism of the WNBA because it's hard to see unless you're sitting courtside, but the 144 women in the league are all extraordinary in one way or another.

PostPosted: 11/12/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, like I said, comparing her to an all-time great like Taurasi is unfair because of the level it suggests for someone who hasn't played a single pro game yet, but it's more about the style than the level. She's a great shooter/scorer who also has exceptional passing vision, which just isn't a combination you see too often, and she also has some of that "I'm gonna drag my team wherever they need to go" attitude that Taurasi plays with. But you can compare Kelsey Mitchell to Cappie Pondexter in a similar way without it being unreasonable - doesn't necessarily mean that Mitchell will ever be the player that Cappie was at her peak.

PostPosted: 11/12/19 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, like I said, comparing her to an all-time great like Taurasi is unfair because of the level it suggests for someone who hasn't played a single pro game yet, but it's more about the style than the level. She's a great shooter/scorer who also has exceptional passing vision, which just isn't a combination you see too often, and she also has some of that "I'm gonna drag my team wherever they need to go" attitude that Taurasi plays with. But you can compare Kelsey Mitchell to Cappie Pondexter in a similar way without it being unreasonable - doesn't necessarily mean that Mitchell will ever be the player that Cappie was at her peak.

Exactly right. Comparisons are fine... within reason.

I just hope Liberty fans can stay calm when Ionescu begins playing for our team. She'll be a rookie. Let's hope she plays like a good or excellent rookie. Let's hope she's Rookie of the Year for 2020. Let's hope she's a genuine star in Season Two or Season Three. Let's not expect her to be Diana Taurasi in her prime in Ionescu's first preseason game.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 11/12/19 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nets have a brand new CEO in less than two months.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/david-levy-shockingly-out-as-nets-ceo-after-55-days/

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/12/19 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, so much for speculation that David Levy might fire Jonathan Kolb and hire his own guy. Maybe Jonathan Kolb fired David Levy. Laughing

PostPosted: 11/12/19 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I told David Levy that it was a bad idea to put those big DEMOCRACY IN HONG KONG posters all over the Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets offices. And especially not to put one on Joe Tsai's door. But David just wouldn't listen. Smile

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/12/19 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well got am email from my rep saying they've moved lib 9ffices to Brooklyn with new 718 numbers so love it at last home

PostPosted: 11/13/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mel Greenberg calls for the Liberty to bring back Richie Adubato!

http://womhoops.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-triumph-of-wnba-baby-boomers-time.html

PostPosted: 11/15/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I just hope Liberty fans can stay calm when Ionescu begins playing for our team. She'll be a rookie. Let's hope she plays like a good or excellent rookie. Let's hope she's Rookie of the Year for 2020. Let's hope she's a genuine star in Season Two or Season Three. Let's not expect her to be Diana Taurasi in her prime in Ionescu's first preseason game.

I won't be. The good thing about her contributions will be that she can be effective even when she doesn't score. That's a huge asset to a team.

PostPosted: 11/15/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

I'd be beyond happy if this happened.

PostPosted: 11/15/19 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I won't be. The good thing about her contributions will be that she can be effective even when she doesn't score. That's a huge asset to a team.

Definitely.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/15/19 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

I'd be beyond happy if this happened.

Hey, Richie A. is only 81 years old. (And 82 on Nov. 23rd.) The Mets brought in 82-year-old Phil Regan in midseason as their pitching coach and he did a good job.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/16/19 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm 81 the only way I take the job is if the fly me to road games on a private jet.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/16/19 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I don't think there's a chance a person that age would want a WNBA job. The travel demands, the early commercial flights, etc. It's fun to think about though. I thought he was still in his 70s.

Patty Coyle is 51. Just saying. Add Ionescu to the current mix of players and you'd be looking at the most individual talent she's ever coached.

PostPosted: 11/16/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My wish list for next head coach:

-Defensive acumen
-Pick and roll emphasis
-Offensive balance/make Tina a co-option rather than a primary

PostPosted: 11/16/19 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mel no Richie was past his use by date in DC let him be in the booth in orlando...belongs in the ring of honor but otherwise no

Heard pokey rumor hope its only as a last resort

Agree we need a D First coach can hope for klopp but he seems happy assisting

Taj if she wants out of college another if consider but no retreads please

PostPosted: 11/16/19 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Taj if she wants out of college another if consider but no retreads please

Interesting. The last 10 WNBA titles have been won by either Cheryl Reeve or a retread.

PostPosted: 11/16/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pokey’s performance tended to be good when she had high end personnel, which wasn’t often. Players did leave; whether that had anything to do with her, I don’t know.

I’ll take anyone regardless of WNBA experience if they fit the criteria the Libs need. They’ll have the talent. They’re just going to require the right structure.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What to Expect When the WNBA’s New York Liberty Move to the Barclays Center in 2020:

Quote:
Barclays is also a new arena (construction was completed in 2012) that isn’t like[ly] to demand the type of consistent or untimely renovations that have pushed other WNBA teams out of their homes in the recent past. There are other advantages to that modernity, as well. “They’re a newer stadium, so they have the ability to expand [and] contract in a way that older stadiums might not necessarily have the ability to do,” Bob Lynch, former Senior VP of Global Partnerships for Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment (BSE), which manages and controls the Barclays Center said. “It's a dark stadium, you don’t notice the gaps I think that you'd notice in other places…they do a really good job to kind of make it feel like there's always a good crowd there.”

https://fortune.com/2019/11/27/new-york-liberty-barclays-center-wnba/

Some interesting links within the article, including one for Arena Digest if you want to know what's happening in the arena world.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its nice to see a posting after so many days in the NYL thread

Every thanksgiving we go around the table saying what we are thankful for this year...of course its always family, and health, but I did think to say Im thankful for playing in Brooklyn and for the First Draft Pick ... I thought it but didn't say it ...it would have taken too much explaining

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/30/19 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

Every thanksgiving we go around the table saying what we are thankful for this year...of course its always family, and health, but I did think to say Im thankful for playing in Brooklyn and for the First Draft Pick ... I thought it but didn't say it ...it would have taken too much explaining

Oh, that weird women's basketball fan! He might as well be collecting antique doorknobs.Laughing

What we really need is some news about the coaching situation. We've got about a month left before January, which is when management has to make decisions on free agents. They can't let this drag on past Christmas. Maybe a coach will be our present in the stocking... or our lump of coal.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Oh, that weird women's basketball fan! He might as well be collecting antique doorknobs.Laughing

What we really need is some news about the coaching situation. We've got about a month left before January, which is when management has to make decisions on free agents. They can't let this drag on past Christmas. Maybe a coach will be our present in the stocking... or our lump of coal.

Ah the thrill of finding an antique doorknob at a flea market !

Dont think we will know about the coach till Jan 2020...
all I can say is :
" Choose wisely , Grasshopper"

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/04/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also thankful here for both. Ionescu has a likability factor in terms of everything I personally want in a player. In light of my winter sports teams being terrible, really looking forward to May.

Hoping the decision making process for a coach is in its later stages. I really wish it was already in place.

PostPosted: 12/06/19 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please forgive me for a brief diversion from the Liberty to our former owner. The Knicks have fired their latest coach, David Fizdale. Here is part of a column from NYC sportswriter Mike Vaccaro:

But he shouldn’t pay alone. He can’t pay alone. The virus that infects the Knicks was never contained to Fizdale’s office; he was simply a carrier. The ultimate problem starts from on high, of course, because this is the owner’s toy and the Knicks have cratered under James Dolan’s thumb. We can have a separate discussion about the many ways Dolan annoys his basketball fans. The simplest truth is this:

Since the 1999-2000 season — that would be 20 years, if you’re keeping score at home — the Knicks have won one playoff series. One. They have four — four! — winning seasons. They have had 10 head coaches, not including interims. They have 626 wins against 938 losses. Look at both sides of that hyphen again: 626-938.

And Dolan has been in charge for most of that.

Two decades of Hideous Lord Jimmy for Knicks fans like myself. At least as a Liberty fan I'm rid of him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 20 of 111

Jump to: