Board Junkies Forums

Olympic Pre-Qualifiers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/18/19 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Canada beat Puerto Rico 84-80 in a surprisingly close game between the #4 and #24 ranked teams. Puerto Rico played zone and Canada couldn't make them pay because they struggled to hit outside shots. Canada also kept throwing crazy passes which led to turnovers. A lot of their problems were self-inflicted. Anyway, with less than a minute left, Puerto Rico tied the game on a 4-point play. After that, it came down to free throws. Canada made six in a row (Nurse, Raincock, Scott), but O'Neill missed both of hers for Puerto Rico. That was unfortunate because Jennifer otherwise had a great game, making numerous tough shots with defenders in her face. She was a major reason why Puerto Rico was able to hang with Canada.

For you rules people out there, this game had an odd call that neither I nor the announcers have ever seen before. In the 4th Quarter, Nurse got fouled while driving to the hoop and her wild toss toward the basket rolled in. She then taunted the Puerto Rican defender. After a long discussion between the referees, Kia drew a technical foul. However, instead of having the defender shoot a free throw, and Nurse follow up with the "and one", they declared the fouls offseting and neither player took a foul shot. Nonetheless, they counted the basket. I don't watch FIBA basketball regularly. Has anyone else ever seen that before?

I havent seen it yet but because technical fouls are now only 1 FT that sounds like the right choice. Similar to when teams get a double technical.

OK, that's a good example. I see where this has some basis in other basketball calls. Thanks.

PostPosted: 11/21/19 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No further explanation of how this works or if there are any draw restrictions.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/21/19 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ooh, we flip-flopped with Korea at #18/#19 in the rankings after the recent qualifiers, and that swapped us between Pot 3 and Pot 4. Could be very important.

Also means that if they have no further draw restrictions, a 4-Euro or 4-Asian qualifying group is now possible. I guess all that waffle about respecting the universality of the Olympic movement could just have meant "we made sure all the regions were represented in our qualifiers - now it's everyone for themselves". Although at the very least they'll have to keep USA and Japan apart as they both auto-qualify.

More trivially, so to speak, how many people can you name in that graphic? I think I'm confident on 12, after that heavy guesswork would be involved...

PostPosted: 11/22/19 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

More trivially, so to speak, how many people can you name in that graphic? I think I'm confident on 12, after that heavy guesswork would be involved...

I recognized 11 and I guessed right on Serbia. Missed Puerto Rico, Japan, Nigeria, and Mozambique. I didn't know the two African players even after I looked them up. Embarassed

PostPosted: 11/22/19 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, same 12 I got. I'd have guessed Jen O'Neill for the Puerto Rican, because they put up the star player for most teams and I know it's not Gwathmey, but after checking the roster photo I'm pretty sure that's Pamela Rosado.

PostPosted: 11/22/19 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it just a bit weird that they put the three white girls in the front row...subconscious racism or what?

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 11/22/19 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I thought it just a bit weird that they put the three white girls in the front row...subconscious racism or what?

Why not conscious racism? With only 3 white girls in 16 it couldn't be random chance. It's clearly not by seeding. It's not by height. It's not by who did well in the WNBA last season.....

Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/25/19 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can you call Taurasi white?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 11/25/19 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

You can call her whatever you like. It's all a social construct.

PostPosted: 11/25/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FIBA made this video with an example draw to explain some of the restrictions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZJRLTBes6A

Besides obvious things, like the United States and Japan not being in the same group, there were a few tidbits. Spain will be in China. Nigeria and Mozambique will be in the same group so that at least one African team will make it. Great Britain and Sweden cannot be draw together.

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

You can call her whatever you like. It's all a social construct.

That said, the United States is virtually the only place that would even entertain the notion that she's non-white.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/25/19 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
FIBA made this video with an example draw to explain some of the restrictions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZJRLTBes6A

Besides obvious things, like the United States and Japan not being in the same group, there were a few tidbits. Spain will be in China. Nigeria and Mozambique will be in the same group so that at least one African team will make it. Great Britain and Sweden cannot be draw together.

Yeesh. So many restrictions that half the draw's practically done already. Essentially, Great Britain are probably going to be playing a playoff against either Puerto Rico or Korea for a spot in Tokyo. We'll definitely be in a group with one or the other.

PostPosted: 11/27/19 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/27/19 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am less than delighted.

PostPosted: 11/27/19 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was rooting for Sweden to qualify, but that's a tough group. Those likely not qualifying: Mozambique, Puerto Rico, Sweden and Great Britain (sorry Richyyy).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/27/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I was rooting for Sweden to qualify, but that's a tough group. Those likely not qualifying: Mozambique, Puerto Rico, Sweden and Great Britain (sorry Richyyy).

Nah, I'd tend to agree that we're probably underdogs in that group. But hell, there was no way we were supposed to make the semis of the Euros, either. You never know.

Puerto Rico are also entirely capable of beating that utterly mediocre Brazil team. I could also see Sweden winning a game somewhere to make their group complicated.

PostPosted: 11/27/19 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Groupings by current FIBA world ranking

Belgrade
Nigeria - #17
USA - #1
Serbia - #7
Mozambique - #43

Bourges
France - #5
Puerto Rico - #23
Brazil - #15
Australia - #2

Foshan
Korea - #19
China - #8
Great Britain - #18
Spain - #3

Ostend
Canada - #4
Japan - #10
Sweden - #22
Belgium - #9

Notable ranked teams missing
#6 Turkey
#11 Belarus
#12 Russia
#13 Greece
#14 Italy
#16 Czech Republic
#20 Latvia

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/27/19 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lord have the days of Russia , Australia , USA & Brazil being the power 4 changed.

PostPosted: 11/27/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada and Spain have risen to the top and can potentially be medal contenders. IMO, I see Spain as the bigger threat to win gold vs. USA then Australia.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/27/19 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Canada and Spain have risen to the top and can potentially be medal contenders. IMO, I see Spain as the bigger threat to win gold vs. USA then Australia.

Agreed , the team that scares me though is serbia. They can get hot from 3 easily , but not sure they can put 4 QTRs together against the Team USA .

PostPosted: 11/27/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm rooting for Spain, France or Belgium. I don't even like any of the players on USA, and I'm not wanting to see Cabbage get a lot of glory either.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/27/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'm rooting for Spain, France or Belgium. I don't even like any of the players on USA, and I'm not wanting to see Cabbage get a lot of glory either.

What if Angel comes back Laughing

PostPosted: 11/27/19 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not big fan of hers either. Besides - would let a player who missed the entire season with injury have a spot on the team? I don't think so. Razz

Anyway, I usually only root for rookies, or players early in their career. If Arike makes the team I'd reconsider, but even if she makes it they will nail her to the bench and let Taurasi and Bird stink it up some more. I don't like the coaches either.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/27/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And a reminder that the USA & Japan are already qualified. So this "tournament" is rather useless for them outside of prepping for the Olympics.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/27/19 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Lord have the days of Russia , Australia , USA & Brazil being the power 4 changed.

It's been quite a while now since Russia & Brazil were reliable threats. Australia is starting to look very shaky as well. Plenty of cracks starting to show in the Opals.

Outside the USA I'm really liking how competitive and unpredictable it is becoming.

PostPosted: 11/28/19 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'm not big fan of hers either. Besides - would let a player who missed the entire season with injury have a spot on the team? I don't think so. Razz

Anyway, I usually only root for rookies, or players early in their career. If Arike makes the team I'd reconsider, but even if she makes it they will nail her to the bench and let Taurasi and Bird stink it up some more. I don't like the coaches either.

You mean like Taurasi, Bird , and Diggins-Smith?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: