RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Another shooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/26/19 9:42 am    ::: Another shooting Reply Reply with quote

Sierra'Li Wade, player at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, was shot and killed last night, apparently while playing basketball at home. Details not available. The rest of the team was/is already at Tenn for the scheduled game tonight.

https://thecount.com/2019/11/26/sierrali-wade-shot-u0fa-student-killed-shooting-lake-village/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/26/19 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Sad.

Did I miss why the team left without her?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/26/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be any more info available about the incident, nor an announcement as to whether tonight's game will be played as scheduled.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/26/19 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More info:

Quote:
Officials with Arkansas State Police said the Lake Village Police Department received a call around 5:58 p.m. of people that were shot at the Henry Augustus Johnson Park, also known as the Luna Street Court.

When investigators arrived to the scene, they found Wade and her brother suffering from gunshot wounds.

Wade was transported to Chicot Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Family and friends said the 5’2 guard for the U.A.P.B Golden Lions Women’s Basketball team was home for Thanksgiving break.

When the shooting occurred, witnesses said the park was full with children and adults playing. At the time, Wade was talking to her brother outside of the court gates.

Google Maps picture of Luna Street Court at:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3395231,-91.2798728,3a,90y,211.16h,79.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFhixnYp6oiRbXq76UdNl6A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/27/19 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But why would she be at home, playing basketball on the city court, when her team is at Tennessee for a game? I think there’s a piece being left out.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 11/27/19 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
But why would she be at home, playing basketball on the city court, when her team is at Tennessee for a game? I think there’s a piece being left out.

They have 18 players on their roster, 6 of whom haven't played this season. I would guess she isn't the only one who's simply not on the travel squad.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/27/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read that she'd gone home to spend the holiday with family. They played the game last night, Tenn won 92-51. UT provided counselors, prayers, etc for the UTPB team, whose coach seemed very appreciative.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/27/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on the story. This is just so sad, and so unnecessary. Stories like this enrage me no end. We are fast becoming a Third World nation.
https://www.wate.com/news/tennessee-rallies-around-arkansas-pine-bluff-basketball-team-during-tragedy/

PostPosted: 11/27/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

Per article posted earlier:

"18-year-old freshman walk-on Sierra-Li Nicole Wade was shot and killed in her hometown of Lake Village, Ark. on Monday night. Wade, who was also an ROTC cadet, did not travel with the team and instead went home to spend Thanksgiving with her family."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: