RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Top 10 Players of the Decade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 11/25/19 4:57 pm    ::: Top 10 Players of the Decade Reply Reply with quote

1. Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 4x WNBA champion, 2014 MVP, 2013 Finals MVP, 7x All-WNBA Team, 2x All-Defensive Team, 6x All-Star, 6x top 5 in win shares, 2011 Rookie of the Year

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/25/20954627/wnba-10-best-players-2010s-decade-maya-moore-no1-minnesota-lynx-championships-criminal-justice

2. Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 2014 WNBA champion, 2014 Finals MVP, 7x All-WNBA, 5x All-Star, 7x top 3 in 3-pointers made, 7x top 10 in points per game

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/22/20954621/wnba-10-best-players-2010s-decade-diana-taurasi-no2-phoenix-mercury-goat-greatest-winner-attitude

3. Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 2016 WNBA Champion, 2013 MVP, 2016 WNBA Finals MVP, 6x All-WNBA Team, 1x All-Defensive Team, 5x top 10 in points, 4x top 10 in steals

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/21/20954620/wnba-best-10-players-2010s-decade-candace-parker-no3-los-angeles-sparks-single-motherhood-tnt-media

4. Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics, Chicago Sky)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 2019 WNBA champion, 2x MVP (2015, 2019), 5x All-WNBA Team, 6x All-Star, 6x top 5 in points per game, 7x top 3 in PER, 2013 Rookie of the Year

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/20/20954618/wnba-10-best-players-decade-2010s-elena-delle-donne-no4-washington-mystics-chicago-sky-mvp-champion

5. Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx, Chicago Sky)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 2x WNBA champion, 2017 MVP, 2x Finals MVP, 3x Defensive Player of the Year, 7x All-WNBA, 8x All-Defensive Team, 5x All-Star, 8x top 5 in rebounds

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/19/20954614/wnba-10-best-players-decade-2010s-sylvia-fowles-no5-minnesota-lynx-chicago-sky-mvp-champion-dynasty

6. Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 2016 WNBA champion, 2016 MVP, 5x All-Defensive, 5x All-Star, 5x top 5 in win shares, 2012 Rookie of the Year

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/14/20954613/wnba-10-best-players-of-2010s-decade-nneka-ogwumike-los-angeles-sparks-mvp-leader-wnbpa-president

7. Tina Charles (New York Liberty, Connecticut Sun)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 2012 MVP, 8x All-WNBA, 4x All-Defensive, 7x All-Star, 8x top-5 in rebounds, 2010 Rookie of the Year

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/13/20954612/wnba-players-of-2010s-decade-tina-charles-no-7-new-york-liberty-connecticut-sun-mvp-activism

8. Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 2014 WNBA champion, 2x Defensive Player of the Year, 5x All-WNBA, 6x All-Defensive, 6x All-Star, 7x top 3 in blocks

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/12/20954610/10-best-wnba-players-of-the-2010s-brittney-griner-no-8-phoenix-mercury-defensive-representation

9. Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta Dream)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note in the 2010s: 6x All-WNBA, 7x All-Defensive, 5x All-Star, 3x steals leader

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/11/20954607/10-best-wnba-players-2010s-decade-angel-mccoughtry-atlanta-dream-entrepreneur-ice-cream

10. Sue Bird (Seattle Storm)

Honors, achievements and numbers of note this decade: 2x WNBA champion (2010, 2018), 3x All-WNBA, 5x WNBA All-Star, 5x top-three in assists

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/11/8/20954216/wnba-top-10-players-decade-2010s-sue-bird-seattle-storm-wnba-championship-megan-rapinoe

PostPosted: 11/25/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How did you pick and choose which achievements were noteworthy to mention in your post? Like, why is it noteworthy how many times Taurasi, Parker and Delle Donne finished Top 10 in scoring, but not how many times Charles, Ogwumike, Moore, McCoughtry or Griner (the last two being two of three players to lead the league in scoring twice in the 2010s) did it?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 11/25/19 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three players with multiple 1st team All WNBA mentions in the decade were left out while two players with fewer are included. Three players who won MVP in the decade were left out while four players who didn't are included.

Lindsey Whalen had a superior decade to Sue Bird by any reasonable measure. Putting Bird on the list over Whalen smacks of UConn bias, as does the whole list.

PostPosted: 11/25/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The list isn't the creation of Genero, but of the Swish Appeal writer Cat Ariail, whom Genero is summarizing.

UConn bias? I don't see that. Is Ariail somehow connected to UConn? I doubt it. She has a B.A. from Sewanee, an M.A. from Georgia, a Ph.D from Miami, and is on the faculty of MTSU. Would she have had a different opinion if Moore, Taurasi, Charles and Bird had perfomed exactly the same in the decade but had played at Stanford? I doubt it.

It could be Moore or Taurasi or Charles or Bird bias, but it's pretty thin gruel to blame it on the school.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/25/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
... Three players who won MVP in the decade were left out while four players who didn't are included...

In fairness, two of those MVPs played in less than a third of the decade, and shouldn't have been included.

NO idea why Catchings got snubbed, though.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/25/19 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn bias? I don't see that. Is Ariail somehow connected to UConn? I doubt it. She has a B.A. from Sewanee, an M.A. from Georgia, a Ph.D from Miami, and is on the faculty of MTSU.

If you think that the only people who have bias towards a particular school are alumni, then you haven't interacted with enough college sports fans.

justintyme

PostPosted: 11/26/19 4:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
pilight wrote:
... Three players who won MVP in the decade were left out while four players who didn't are included...

In fairness, two of those MVPs played in less than a third of the decade, and shouldn't have been included.

NO idea why Catchings got snubbed, though.

Yeah being one of the top 5 or 6 players in the league each and every year should be weighted much heavier on a "best of the decade" than someone who was the best one or two years, but either weren't in the league or wasn't even in the conversation then rest of the time.

If you were drafted in the last 3 years, I don't even understand how you would be in the conversation for this. No one who missed 70% of a season would ever be considered for an "All-WNBA" team, no matter how exceptionally they played the other 30% of the time. So why is it different for an "All Decade" team?

PostPosted: 11/26/19 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the text in the first installment, this list was designed to be composed of the 10 players with the combined best play on the court and social presence. The author is an acknowledged Taurasi fan.

When including social presence and on-court play it is difficult to see Charles so low on the list. Griner also should have ranked higher. I am unsure what Taurasi's social presence is.

At the halfway point, the editor of Swish Appeal started a poll asking people to submit their top 5 for the decade, unranked. She then posted the results and ranked them due to number of unranked votes. With Diana on 88% of the ballots, she proclaimed her the #1 of the decade and used that to start a poll as to whether that made Diana the GOAT.

Currently, that poll has Diana well under 50%.

PostPosted: 11/26/19 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the 2nd top 10 decade list (SI being the first) that has been posted on ReKell, that left Whalen off the their list. She doesn't get the credit for her role in Lynx championship runs. Maybe it's because some people don't believe she was the best player at her position during those runs, or her teammates were more responsible for the success.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/26/19 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Yeah being one of the top 5 or 6 players in the league each and every year should be weighted much heavier on a "best of the decade" than someone who was the best one or two years, but either weren't in the league or wasn't even in the conversation then rest of the time.

There's a player on the list who had only one top 5 MVP finish in the decade while two players with multiple top 5 finishes were left out.

PostPosted: 11/26/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You would think being the starting point guard in the Finals 8 times would count for more than it does.

It's a pretty small list who have accomplished that.

PostPosted: 11/26/19 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:
You would think being the starting point guard in the Finals 8 times would count for more than it does.

It's a pretty small list who have accomplished that.

In fairness, only six of them were in this decade

PostPosted: 11/26/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True enough. I was thinking in terms of all-time though. She certainly seems overlooked as a point guard vs. Sue, Dawn, and Ticha. I remember Geno's praise for her at her retirement ceremony.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: