RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I said she would be the easy choice. She’s already there and knows all the players. Just because Pokey failed doesn’t necessarily mean it was Sides’ fault. Who’s decision was it to not stick with McCowan as a starter when she first showed merit? Other than that big blunder, I don’t think Pokey did that bad of a job. GM-wise she knocked it out of the park. Picked up Laney. Made the right draft choices. Picked up Burke off the waiver.

I am surprised that Pokey was fired.Just when things were picking up they fire the coach???? I was looking forward to next years team when Vivans came back and she and cCowen would get together. It will take time and they should have given Pokey another year to see how it would go. Shaking my head.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Shades wrote:
I said she would be the easy choice. She’s already there and knows all the players. Just because Pokey failed doesn’t necessarily mean it was Sides’ fault. Who’s decision was it to not stick with McCowan as a starter when she first showed merit? Other than that big blunder, I don’t think Pokey did that bad of a job. GM-wise she knocked it out of the park. Picked up Laney. Made the right draft choices. Picked up Burke off the waiver.

I am surprised that Pokey was fired.Just when things were picking up they fire the coach???? I was looking forward to next years team when Vivans came back and she and cCowen would get together. It will take time and they should have given Pokey another year to see how it would go. Shaking my head.

Pokey lost three quarters of her games in three seasons. Even this year, when things are "looking up" they lost two-thirds of their games. There was no reason to think that Pokey would do any better next year, especially given that she had bungled using her lottery picks the last two. Don't give her the change to potentially F up with a No. 1 pick.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the Fever were more on the up-and-up than most other teams. They were 7-13 in games decided by single-digits, and if they win 10 of those instead of 7, they're a playoff team. And then who knows what would've happened to Pokey. Guess that feel-good season finale home win wasn't enough to prove that to the front office. Still, I understand why they fired her, especially if they have others in mind as her replacement.

Shades wrote:
GM-wise she knocked it out of the park. Picked up Laney.

Laughing I can't take those two sentences seriously in that order. Signing Laney ain't knocking anything out of the park, especially since she shot almost 50% in Connecticut and only 35% here. She was definitely worse in her bigger role.
Also, Pokey could've picked DeShields instead of Mitchell last year, as it's harder to find an athletic two-way wing than a volume shooter with limited PG experience. McCowan sort of fell into her lap (if both McCowan and Brown were Picks 1 & 2, that would've put Pokey's GMing skills to the test). I personally don't agree that she knocked it out of the park in her time there as the GM, but I've never liked Head Coaches doubling as the GM anyway.

bballnut901

PostPosted: 09/09/19 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of potential next year if young players like the Mitchells, Vivians and McCowan make strides in the offseason. Big T could be scary good next year if she continues to improve. Wheeler is a great PG to run the team and the prospect of adding Cox or Ionescu is outstanding. Pick a good coach and the future is bright.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/10/19 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also the PR value in bringing in someone new ...

And Pokey didn't set the bar all that high, really.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2019/09/09/indiana-fever-fire-coach-and-general-manager-pokey-chatman/2262914001/

Quote:
Catchings is adamant that the pieces are there for a successful future. Things looked to be trending in the right direction with the development of young players such as 2018 draft pick Kelsey Mitchell and 2019 pick Teaira McCowan, and other players have shown flashes.

"I'm excited," Catchings said about the future of the team. "I think we did a great job getting Teaira. (There's) excitement about Kelsey Mitchell, Erica Wheeler and what she can do. There are a lot of great pieces to build around."

In other words, Pokey the GM knocked it out of the park... or at least didn’t screw things up.

Quote:
Catchings said she won't be the coach.

"Absolutely not," she said. "My vision is growing the franchise."

Sounds like she might want to be the GM though.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Catchings said she won't be the coach.

"Absolutely not," she said. "My vision is growing the franchise."

Sounds like she might want to be the GM though.

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1171174727286689792

Quote:
She said she hopes the same person will fill both roles, but they are concentrating first on finding the right fit as coach.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Fever have a really good foundation and hopefully will be getting Ionescu in the draft. Getting a good coach is not going to be that easy though. Lately going for former assistants seems to be a roll of the dice. (Or is a crap shoot?)

pilight

PostPosted: 09/10/19 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think the Fever have a really good foundation and hopefully will be getting Ionescu in the draft. Getting a good coach is not going to be that easy though. Lately going for former assistants seems to be a roll of the dice. (Or is a crap shoot?)

Hiring a new coach is always a crap shoot

PostPosted: 09/10/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://media.tenor.com/images/0b2e8973ec3973837672e19df74f09ff/tenor.gif

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/19 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3U8S2fLElQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RHW

PostPosted: 10/15/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season Review: The Indiana Fever improved dramatically in 2019, but the best is yet to come

By Justin Carter

https://winsidr.com/2019/10/15/season-review-the-indiana-fever-improved-dramatically-in-2019-but-the-best-is-yet-to-come/

Shades

PostPosted: 11/08/19 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do you think about Kelly Schumacher-Raimon as an idea for the head coach of the Fever? She’s a current assistant for the Aces and she has Fever/Catchings ties.

Quote:
Indiana’s first-round duo represents the first time the Fever has selected twice in the first round of the draft since picking Tamika Catchings and Kelly Schumacher in 2001.

herna220

PostPosted: 11/25/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the team's Instagram story link the new head coach will be named tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/indianafever/

toad455

PostPosted: 11/25/19 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious who it might be?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/25/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The name I heard had them going down the "assistant no one's really heard of" route, but that was a while ago and I have no idea if it stuck.

PostPosted: 11/25/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The name I heard had them going down the "assistant no one's really heard of" route, but that was a while ago and I have no idea if it stuck.

hmmmm...

Darius Taylor(Atlanta asst.)
Christie Sides(Indiana asst.)
Latricia Trammell(LA asst.)

pilight

PostPosted: 11/25/19 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sides just took a job at Louisiana-Monroe, plus she's close with Pokey. That seems like an unlikely choice.

PostPosted: 11/26/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Announcement at 11am

toad455

PostPosted: 11/26/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Announcement at 11am

Surprised nothing has been leaked or hinted at.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/26/19 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Announcement at 11am

Howard Megdal already said it's Marianne Stanley a half an hour ago.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/26/19 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Announcement at 11am

He's the same guy that said Ionescu was entering the 2019 draft. 🙄

Though he does seem to be pretty clued in on the Mystics.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/26/19 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Announcement at 11am

If true i would not be upset , but how old is she now ? Can she keep up with the Rigorous WNBA schedule at her age now ?

PostPosted: 11/26/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Announcement at 11am

If true i would not be upset , but how old is she now ? Can she keep up with the Rigorous WNBA schedule at her age now ?

She's 65. She'll be the second oldest head coach in the league, behind Thibault.

PostPosted: 11/26/19 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Official announcement:

https://www.wnba.com/news/indiana-fever-announce-marianne-stanley-as-new-head-coach/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: