RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will Evina Westbrook EVER play for UConn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/25/19 1:09 am    ::: Will Evina Westbrook EVER play for UConn? Reply Reply with quote

Evina Westbrook is being required to sit out this season at UConn. She has two years of college eligibility left. Will she actually use any of them at UConn, and if so, how many?

Evina is already 21. She'll be 22 next September, before the next college season even starts, which also makes her old enough to enter the 2020 WNBA draft in April.

I recall reading that her ambition is to play in the WNBA, preferably at point guard and preferably securing as high a draft spot as possible. Being the starting point guard on an elite team such as UConn would likely have helped that goal. But time's a-wasting, for basketball athleticism peaks at about age 27, and playing for UConn might not burnish her resume much at all.

While Westbrook did not have an eye-popping two-year career at Tennessee, it was pretty good, and everyone will remember that she was the number 1 or 2 ranked player in her high school class. Therefore, in the relatively weak 2020 WNBA draft, it's possible she could be drafted in the first round even without playing at all at UConn, while still getting her degree in May.

But, you say, wouldn't she be better off playing at least one year at UConn to burnish her skills as well as her resume? Crystal Dangerfield will be graduating, so wouldn't Westbrook slide right into UConn's starting lineup at point guard in 2020-21?

No, not necessarily.

Something happened after Westbrook transferred to UConn: Paige Bueckers signed up to show up in Storrs for 2020-21. And Pistol Paige is a better player than Westbrook. While it's possible that Geno might start both Westbrook and Bueckers, having them share the point and off-guard slots like Bird and Taurasi once did, there's no guarantee that Westbrook will start. For one thing, Geno might not want to have a three guard lineup, given that Christyn Williams is likely a lock starter. If Westbrook suspects she may not start next season, much less being the star of the team, she may very well decide that a season at UConn won't enhance her resume much, if at all, and that she's better off jumping to pro ball as soon as possible.

Even if Westbrook plays at UConn for the 2020-21 season, it's difficult to believe she'd stay and play the 2021-22 season too. It's widely expected that the uber-hyped guard, Azzi Fudd, will sign with UConn for 2021-22, Pistol Paige will still be there in the back court, as will senior Christyn Williams. And Westbrook would then be 23 years old. Surely Westbrook would enter the 2021 WNBA draft, especially if Satou Sabally and/or Chennedy Carter had entered (early) in 2020.

Geno knows all this, which surely increases his disappointment in the NCAA's refusal to grant Westbrook a waiver. He wanted her mainly for THIS season, and now he may have her for none.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/25/19 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good question. AFAIK, she's still rehabbing from her knee injury and isn't ready to play yet anyway. That won't help her draft stock in the spring. She would have been better off to stay at Tenn, IMHO.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/25/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how 2 years at Tenn is enough of a resume. Also, Westbrook is in her third year of college and won't get her degree until May 2021.

It's more likely that Walker will opt out in 2020. She also needs a year to get her degree but she is at least playing this season. It usually comes down to finding out who would draft her. And if she goes it opens up more playing time for Westbrook. But I don't see Westbrook staying past 2021 in any case.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/25/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most female players get their degrees in 3 years or just slightly over 3 years. They have to attend summers, so they take either one or two classes (or more) every summer. That is one reason there are so many grad transfers.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/01/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per the BY, Evina had another, unspecified surgery on her left knee yesterday and isn't expected to be ready to play until next season. The whole waiver denial issue is a moot point.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/01/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a good look for Luigi at all, trying so desperately hard to get a waiver from the NCAA to allow Westbrook to play this season, when she was needing so many medical surgeries on her knees. That's almost medieval.

Forcing a player - or trying to force, really - a player to play when she would have been riddled with stitches and mending surgical wounds is something that Tennessee never even thought of forcing Westbrook to do.

For shame, Luigi.......

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/01/20 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by PUmatty on 01/02/20 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/01/20 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Not a good look for Luigi at all, trying so desperately hard to get a waiver from the NCAA to allow Westbrook to play this season, when she was needing so many medical surgeries on her knees. That's almost medieval.

Forcing a player - or trying to force, really - a player to play when she would have been riddled with stitches and mending surgical wounds is something that Tennessee never even thought of forcing Westbrook to do.

For shame, Luigi.......

So, are ethnic slurs ok on this board now?

Not sure what or where the ethnic slur is. Luigi is the first name of the UConn coach, given to him by his parents and with which he was baptized. "Geno" is a nickname.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/02/20 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbrook has had knee surgery. No information as to what was done or if she injured it or if this was a clean-up.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/02/20 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

For shame, Luigi.......

So, are ethnic slurs ok on this board now?

Not sure what or where the ethnic slur is. Luigi is the first name of the UConn coach, given to him by his parents and with which he was baptized. "Geno" is a nickname.

Deleted my post. That is my mistake. I have seen people use that term similar to another "name" slur toward Italian Americans.

My apologies to Conway Gamecock.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/02/20 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the same sort of nonsense as calling Barack Obama "Hussein" or Donald Trump "Drumpf"

PostPosted: 01/02/20 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's the same sort of nonsense as calling Barack Obama "Hussein" or Donald Trump "Drumpf"
Or calling Elizabeth Warren “Pocahontas”?

PostPosted: 01/02/20 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
pilight wrote:

No, at least the other examples are using real or former names of those people

PostPosted: 01/02/20 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
pilight wrote:

NO, that's just purely racist. The others are making fun of people's given names, which is an entirely different thing.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/02/20 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a fact that Luigi IS Geno's name.

It's also true CGC hates UConn, Geno, and likes to throw the barbs, like when he said "Italians do love them their pasta......." to explain Geno's expanding waistline in another thread.

He likes to tiptoe up the line, it seems. Wink

PostPosted: 01/02/20 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

It's also true CGC hates UConn, Geno, and likes to throw the barbs, like when he said "Italians do love them their pasta......." to explain Geno's expanding waistline in another thread.

I have nothing of the sort for CT or Luigi. Unlike CT fans, who have trashed South Carolina players and coaches, I have nothing but respect for them.

And I guess you're going to mount the defense that Italians do not enjoy pasta? It's like getting offended at someone saying "the Swiss do love them their chocolate". You ever been to Switzerland? I have: they had more shoppes selling chocolate treats on every street than they had gas stations.....

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/02/20 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

This is not the first time he has been called out not just for tiptoeing the line but stepping over it and trambling it. He was called out on another board years ago for using Luigi as putting it in its context of not just his alleged hating UCONN, which is so trivial and so irrelevant even dismissed when juxtaposed with these unacceptable racists remarks.

The use of Luigi was and is by no means intended to convey respect or familiarity but rather to ridicule. It is reinforced by your example of getting fat by eating too much pasta. It is akin if one were to say those black people sure like watermelon which is both despicable and intolerable. As a person of Italian descent, I am offended. As a father of a diverse multi-ethnic family, I am enraged.

A couple of years ago he wrote a blatant misogynist post here on this very board, so over the top that it united the likes of disparate fans as myself, ArtBest and several others to absolutely vilify him to a point he left the board as everyone inveighed against him. He thought people had forgotten but we haven't as racism and misogyny are not traits I have ever seen in any other member on this board save for Conway. He needs to go.

PostPosted: 01/03/20 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, no, no

user1688

PostPosted: 01/03/20 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, no, no Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/03/20 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People, can we please stop slandering and slanging each other and get back to the discussion of BASKETBALL?

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by absolutely nobody. Dammit, I miss Queenie!

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/03/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I have nothing of the sort for CT or Luigi. Unlike CT fans, who have trashed South Carolina players and coaches, I have nothing but respect for them.

And I guess you're going to mount the defense that Italians do not enjoy pasta? It's like getting offended at someone saying "the Swiss do love them their chocolate". You ever been to Switzerland? I have: they had more shoppes selling chocolate treats on every street than they had gas stations.....

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/03/20 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
People, can we please stop slandering and slanging each other and get back to the discussion of BASKETBALL?

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by absolutely nobody. Dammit, I miss Queenie!

Completely agree. Maybe we should start a forum where people can take their non-basketball disagreements, and leave basketball threads for discussion of basketball? Oh wait...

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/03/20 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Completely agree. Maybe we should start a forum where people can take their non-basketball disagreements, and leave basketball threads for discussion of basketball? Oh wait...

I agree as this forum has always been devoid of racism and misogyny but when they rear their ugly head, to protect my children, our decency, I shall not ignore it, but rather point it out to make sure it never happens here again. Having walked shoulder to shoulder with Dr. King, Reverand Abernathy and Ceasar Chavez I stand by my post as I hope I never have to write a post like that here again. I said my peace. Done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: