RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

First Impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/18/19 5:59 pm    ::: First Impressions Reply Reply with quote

-By and large, the Top 15 have played like I expected them to. What hasn’t:
-Lexie Hull has been Stanford’s best player so far, which is somewhat surprising, but a good sign for Stanford considering she is a sophomore (and from my home state Cool ). Chalk the too-close loss to Gonzaga up to their youth. This was the first game where Kiana Williams NEEDED to score for them to win, and Lisa Fortier is a fantastic coach.
- Chennedy Carter doesn’t need to prove to anyone that she is a scorer at this point. She needs to start taking advantage of the attention she is drawing and pass the freaking ball. Neither Erika Ogwumike nor Nancy Mulkey needed to score in double digits for Rice to come within a bucket of the first major upset of the season. Hmmmmmm......
-Maryland has started 3 different freshmen at the point each of the last 3 years. 17-18’s starting point guard was sent to the bench last year and has yet to play this season. Last year’s was moved to a different (admittedly more natural) position. Maryland has a lot of talent. They will probably win the B1G, but they ain’t getting close to the F4.
-I’d be surprised if Florida State doesn’t take the ACC. Never underestimate the power of senior leadership.
-This is Indiana’s best team in the history of the program. They are Maryland’s biggest threat in-conference and I can easily see Ali Patberg getting PoY.
-Arkansas’ my late-season dark horse so far. I will always love Mike for what he did for UW, and he has an Elite 8 win under his belt with a very similar style of team.
-Lisa Fortier is a very good coach (see above).
-Kelley Harper is too.
-So is Charli Turner Thorne, the kind of coach who gets the best out of her players. Unfortunately for the first time in a long time, almost everyone else in the PAC 12 has better players. I think this is the season that her inability to recruit elite is going to be exposed.
-Flip flop that sentiment with Karen Aston. Great recruiter. That 25 point loss at home to Aari Arizona SHOULD be one of the last nails in that coffin.

I’ll add more as I think of them.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/18/19 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a caveat. Stanford did beat Gonzaga, but Lisa Fortier is still a great coach and that team can stay in Portland for the tournament while you ship Stanford elsewhere.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/18/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The freshman posts around the country making an impact. Pretty astonishing really. Boston at SoCaro. Prechtal and Belibi at Stanford. Brown and Jones (great names for a combo!) at OrSU. Others? I think the inexperience will hurt those teams in some matchups, but all the experience being gained will only help them in the longer term.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/18/19 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon looking better than advertised is the biggest surprise to me.

PostPosted: 11/19/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The freshman posts around the country making an impact. Pretty astonishing really. Boston at SoCaro. Prechtal and Belibi at Stanford. Brown and Jones (great names for a combo!) at OrSU. Others? I think the inexperience will hurt those teams in some matchups, but all the experience being gained will only help them in the longer term.

Key is doing a pretty good job at Tenn, although not as dominant as Boston or some of the others.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/19/19 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ashley Joens is balling out. Just had a 30 point 20 rebound game. That’s insane for a 6’0” shooting guard.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/19/19 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Ashley Joens is balling out. Just had a 30 point 20 rebound game. That’s insane for a 6’0” shooting guard.

The fact that they were playing Texas Southern might have had something to do with that. They have a totally cupcake nonconference schedule, playing North Dakota State, North Dakota, Southern, and North Alabama, among other lower ranked teams...

taropatch

PostPosted: 11/20/19 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first look at #22 South Florida who gave Baylor all they could handle today -- game ended with Baylor atop by a dozen. That game tonight was closer than the score indicates. The Bulls have perimeter shooters and Baylor does not. And they can play D. No Lauren Cox for Baylor but still all that talent on the floor struggled to hit the 30's by the end of the first half. A note of interest, two thirds of South Florida's roster hails from Europe. I believe they will give Geno's squad a run for their money in the AAC.

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/20/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

-Kellie Harper is a very good basketball coach, you can tell by the eye test and results the Lady Vols are improved.

(The only q will be can she and her staff recruit elite HS talent?)

-Duke is now losing in all games and recruiting wars; it's no secret Duke is now sub-par, judging the results, the lack of fans and the lack of consistent top talent coming into Durham. When will they finally get rid of Joanne?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/20/19 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
-Kellie Harper is a very good basketball coach, you can tell by the eye test and results the Lady Vols are improved.

-Duke is now losing in all games and recruiting wars; it's no secret Duke is now sub-par, judging the results, the lack of fans and the lack of consistent top talent coming into Durham. When will they finally get rid of Joanne?

Kellie picked up a couple of 4-star recruits in Tess Darby and Destiny Salary. I think she will get the best out of them, and if she continues to coach this group and win like she has been, the elites will come. A winning program draws them. And there is that Tennessee name.

PostPosted: 11/20/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last season Tenn started 8-0

In 2018 Tenn started 15-0

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/21/19 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Kellie picked up a couple of 4-star recruits in Tess Darby and Destiny Salary. I think she will get the best out of them, and if she continues to coach this group and win like she has been, the elites will come. A winning program draws them. And there is that Tennessee name.

Agree-I predict Tennessee gets a blockbuster recruiting class with the HS sophomore class. Gives her a chance for Harper a chance to show herself and most juniors probably have an idea of where they're going.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/21/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Agree-I predict Tennessee gets a blockbuster recruiting class with the HS sophomore class. Gives her a chance for Harper a chance to show herself and most juniors probably have an idea of where they're going.

One of the things I'm amazed by is the emergence of senior post player Kamera Harris. Holly almost never played her, but Kellie has her coming off the bench and she has very good hands, something she never showed in 3 years with Holly. There are also a few things I'm seeing that are reminiscent of the Pat days, like the increase in speed and decrease in heft of KK, and much better defense and rebounding by all.

PostPosted: 11/21/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tynice Martin is back for WV.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/21/19 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Tynice Martin is back for WV.

Yeah, we know. And so?

PostPosted: 11/21/19 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wasn't sure how that story was gonna play out. Best case scenario for her and her team, it should get them a better Seed.

BTW, I started this post. It was meant to be a about providing general thoughts of the season so far. Never was it meant to be a discussion about any one team's performance, and certainly not about that one team's recruiting. So, maybe don't intentionally be a dick on my own thread when you're the one that tried to derail it in the first place?!?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/22/19 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My comment about Tynice Martin was not intended to derail your thread. But we do know she's back (and some of us think, for various reasons, that maby she shouldn't be.....however, that's an opinion) My "And so?" was meant to ask, show me the difference.....and you could have, without being snippy.

Nor have I been the only one talking about Tennessee, so you can get off that too, please.

PostPosted: 11/22/19 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Last season Tenn started 8-0

In 2018 Tenn started 15-0

I'm ready for someone to hand Tennessee a big s""t sandwich.

And I'm ready for CKH to choke on it.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/23/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That seems a little harsh. Shocked

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/23/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haters gonna hate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: