RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Becky Hammon...first?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herna220

PostPosted: 11/17/19 11:34 am    ::: Becky Hammon...first? Reply Reply with quote

Did Becky Hammon make history? Gregg Popovich ejection sparks mass coaching confusion

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/did-becky-hammon-make-history-gregg-popovich-ejection-sparks-mass-coaching-confusion/ar-BBWSckZ?ocid=spartanntp

pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since they lost, let Duncan have the credit

PostPosted: 11/17/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Badly handled by Popovich. I wish he HAD felt inclined to make history. If he didn't, he should have had a clear plan in place--and publicly understood--all along. It was certainly possible that he'd get ejected at some point this season. Why create confusion and a situation that may have been awkward for Hammon and Duncan?

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 11/18/19 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't the Official Scorer show who took over as coach ?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/18/19 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Since they lost, let Duncan have the credit

I'm wondering if that's what actually happened. They could just as easily have claimed afterwards that Becky was the one officially in charge. Would have made for a nice story given the scoreline at the time of the ejection.

PostPosted: 11/26/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Earlier in the game while the Spurs were still having the momentum, announcers said that Duncan would be the one with the responsibility to call coach's challenge and such, and by extension I assume he was also the one tasked to call timeouts. So I don't know who was in charge, but I'd say Duncan is certainly the one who lost the game by not calling a timeout to make readjustments after the Blazers had certainly made some to regain the momentum, and before that by wasting a timeout and two points with the ill-advised Coach's challenge. Though there was certainly no visible command structure during the game, so Hammon could have overriden him and called a much needed one herself.

Man, the WNBA has a serious lack of technicals, fights, ejections and flagrants. Laughing Given the nothing from which this ejection escalated, I'd say Becky Hammon's not going to have to wait long to get another shot. Real history would be made when she gets ejected herself. Laughing

jap

PostPosted: 11/30/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
Man, the WNBA has a serious lack of technicals, fights, ejections and flagrants. Laughing Given the nothing from which this ejection escalated, I'd say Becky Hammon's not going to have to wait long to get another shot. Real history would be made when she gets ejected herself. Laughing

Ejected for what? Beating up one of the refs?

PostPosted: 11/30/19 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
PicknLOL wrote:

Ejected for what? Beating up one of the refs?

If she ever plans to move to my part of the world, why not. It's common over here.

Pop gets ejected for arguing with the refs, Becky Hammon takes over the arguing with the refs job, and gets ejected for it. Crossed my mind when the first real situation worth ejecting over came later in the game when Duncan/Hammon had taken over, and wasted their Coach's challenge to boot. I remember screaming YOU NEED TO GO AND ARGUE THAT when Hammon was on screen, realizing afterwards how stupid would that be after you're already down a head coach. (Don't recall what for any longer). Laughing

It should be easier for an assistant to get techs if they wanted to, as they aren't allowed to walk up to the refs to argue anything at all, presumably unless they've taken over for the lead coach after the latter got ejected. But I don't imagine one will ever do that. Both Hammon and Duncan had too much composure. They didn't even dare to call a timeout to scream at their players.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/07/19 5:27 am    ::: Hammon to coach Knicks? Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1203129093547425793

https://highposthoops.com/2019/12/06/becky-hammon-reportedly-showing-interest-new-york-knicks-head-coach-position/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 12/07/19 8:54 am    ::: Re: Hammon to coach Knicks? Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1203129093547425793

https://highposthoops.com/2019/12/06/becky-hammon-reportedly-showing-interest-new-york-knicks-head-coach-position/

Not a bad idea at all. Sign a 4 year, get fired after one season and collect your pay for 3 years w/o doing any work......

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/07/19 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky wrote an open letter to the fans as she left New York. If I recall correctly, she thanked the fans but surprisingly not her coaches or teammates. However, she did thank James Dolan. Now, that's what I call being prescient. Razz

PostPosted: 12/07/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the one hand, Becky deserves better than the Knicks. On the other hand, there are only thirty of these jobs and, if you want one of them, you may not be in a position to turn down one, if it's offered to you.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Genero36

PostPosted: 12/07/19 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she trust Dolan, bless her ❤️.

PostPosted: 12/07/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

She undoubtedly knows him better than any of us do.

It's nice that she's interested in the Knicks. The real question is whether they're interested in her.

PostPosted: 12/07/19 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was an article on one if the sports outlets (I believe CBS) of potential candidates and she was on the list.

I thought she was lining up as the heir apparent to Pop but maybe that is not a sure thing with Duncan also in the wings

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/08/19 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Could there be anyone in the world who trusts Hideous Lord Jimmy?

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 12/08/19 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

If she trusts Dolan, TEST her!

Seriously, this is a horrifically bad idea. The Knicks suck. There's little talent and a universally bad ownership. I know people want to see Hammon get a job so they can crow about "the first woman to be head coach of an NBA team" but consider the team we are talking about here. The Knicks are NOT a prestigious team anymore, they are a flat out joke and if they were a soccer team they'd have been relegated to a lower division YEARS ago.

Is it really worth it to have that first woman getting the top job when it will be for a team that she'll never turn around and when they fire her they'll likely say something to the effect of "we never should've hired a woman in the first place". And don't tell me that f*cking toilet bowl turd James Dolan would never do that.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/08/19 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's not going to get a shot at a good team

PostPosted: 12/08/19 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone's going to be the history maker and Dolan may just do that to up ticket sales since they ain't selling out anymore. Hammon should only take it if it's a guaranteed, multi-year contract. The Knicks probably stick with Miller for the season though, so don't expect a hiring anytime soon.

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 12/08/19 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She's not going to get a shot at a good team

Given that Popovich has allegedly hinted at retirement, sticking with the Spurs with the intention of succeeding him might really be the better option:

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1196596236511563776

And a good team is a fluid notion. She should aim at a team that could be one.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/08/19 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no doubt in my mind that if the choice came down to Hammon vs Tim Duncan, the Spurs would choose Duncan. You're talking about an all-time great, face-of-the-franchise player. There would be an awful lot of pressure from the fanbase to hire Duncan, and management probably doesn't need much persuading to begin with.

PostPosted: 12/08/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are also other possibilities for the Spurs - like 2 time NBA COY Mike Budenholzer, who was an assistant for 18 years for the Spurs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Budenholzer

toad455

PostPosted: 12/08/19 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, she's not the first in line to replace Pop. Don't know why people think she is. And yet her connection to the Spurs is with the Stars and that the second half of her career she played for the Stars, which were owned by the Spurs and sold the team to MGM and moved the team to Las Vegas.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/08/19 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Yeah, she's not the first in line to replace Pop. Don't know why people think she is. And yet her connection to the Spurs is with the Stars and that the second half of her career she played for the Stars, which were owned by the Spurs and sold the team to MGM and moved the team to Las Vegas.

Confused

I think it's safe to say that her connection to the Spurs is the fact that she has been coaching the Spurs for several years ...

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/08/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
There are also other possibilities for the Spurs - like 2 time NBA COY Mike Budenholzer, who was an assistant for 18 years for the Spurs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Budenholzer

Why on earth would Bud walk away from what he's got going with the Bucks, to go back to the Spurs? Unless you have insider information that Antetokuonmpo is not going to re-sign with Milwaukee in 2021, I don't know how you can see Budenholzer coaching San Antonio as being anything other than a step backwards?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: