RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

South Carolina (8) @ Maryland (4) - 11/10/19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Maryland
95%
 95%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 20

Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/19 1:23 am    ::: South Carolina (8) @ Maryland (4) - 11/10/19 Reply Reply with quote

College Park, MD - 3:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=b94a4b08-b458-4c4e-8137-68caf20eb90d

Live stats:
https://umterps.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/10/19 11:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
linkster

PostPosted: 10/28/19 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Home team.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/10/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LATE START ON THE DEUCE!

But they still found time for Brenda's pre game pep talk thankfully! I love listening to such insightful knowledge!

"We're gonna run...we're gonna run...we're gonna run some more!"

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/10/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"We're gonna run..." doesn't seem to have worked so far.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/10/19 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes. SoCar up by 14.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Austin has not impressed.
Boston has impressed but clearly needs some conditioning.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/19 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kudos to both these very young teams for scheduling this game so early in the season. shows guts.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/10/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to see them meet again in the tournament, after they've both matured a bit.

SoCar 52-46 with 3 mins left.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/10/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final 63-54. SoCar.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 11/10/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will be following the Gamecocks the next 4 years watching hometown girl Zia Cooke on the big stage now! Looking good!

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/10/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why people think a 2nd meeting would benefit Maryland.

South Carolina has more upside. Younger better talent that has more upside and they host the regionals in South Carolina.

Maryland is Maryland. Out toughed and out coached. What did Pam Bored say? 10 straight losses at home to ranked teams by the Terps?

Howee

PostPosted: 11/10/19 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. Not the flashiest Top Ten matchup I've ever seen, but....it IS November. Laughing AND there were a lotta freshmen playing.

I'm not convinced that MD will have all that easy of a time ruling the Big Ten. Both teams should get much better, as there's plenty of inherent talent and solid coaching.

PostPosted: 11/10/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
kudos to both these very young teams for scheduling this game so early in the season. shows guts.

Guts that didn’t pay off for Maryland.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/19 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

neither team was stellar. 31% for both FG; a total of 3 - 25 from 3 yikes Shocked but SoCaro showed that in a down and out scrapfest they could prevail.

- Amanda Gorman
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/10/19 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was there in person. I am surprised to find the comments above not more negative towards Maryland. It was one of the worst performances by the Terps that I've ever seen. And South Carolina was not exactly great either. It was almost unbearable to be there. A woman a few rows in front of us was doing a crossword puzzle. I was jealous.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/10/19 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I was there in person. I am surprised to find the comments above not more negative towards Maryland. It was one of the worst performances by the Terps that I've ever seen. And South Carolina was not exactly great either. It was almost unbearable to be there. A woman a few rows in front of us was doing a crossword puzzle. I was jealous.

So what’s the problem with them?

linkster

PostPosted: 11/10/19 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

So what’s the problem with them?

The problem is that S Car isn't Delaware or Loyola MD. They are a top 10 team. And the only current top 10 team on MD's schedule, just like last year when S Car lost to MD in Columbia.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/11/19 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone think that either of these teams looked or played like top 10 teams?

I didn't. Or maybe I just need to readjust my expectations for this year.

But Maryland has its perennial overranking, and will still be overranked at the end of the year by reason of its schedule-driven gaudy record. It's an annual tradition.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/11/19 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

But Maryland has its perennial overranking, and will still be overranked at the end of the year by reason of its schedule-driven gaudy record. It's an annual tradition.

I'm starting to think the P12 actually do deserve to have three teams in the top 10. But the P12 teams do tend to struggle against scrambling, play it in the dirt, type teams who can't shoot but have no system so throw you off balance with sheer athleticism. But we're getting better at handling that, so...we will see.

- Amanda Gorman
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/11/19 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

It was a very physical, bump-and-grind contest that is regularly experienced in the SEC, between two teams with a lot of youth on them - particularly in South Carolina's case. And it was the 2nd game of the season for both teams.

I think both teams had large cases of individual players attempting to just drive into the defending 5 of each opponent, rather than trying to pass the ball and work for more open, higher-percentage shots. That resulted in a lot of fouls and jump-ball situations.

It may have been the result of the teams recognizing the officials were calling the game tight and thought they could work to get blocking fouls, or it may have had something to do with both teams not shooting the three very well.

I heard during the game where one of the announcers said that this loss was Maryland's 7th consecutive loss at home to a top 10 ranked opponent. They didn't say non-conference, so that meant total, and I checked and it is true.

So Maryland has only played a total of 7 opponents ranked in the top 10 at home since the 2011-12 season, which was when they last won against a top-10 opponent (back when MD was in the ACC, 63-61 against then-5th-ranked Duke). MD has only played a total of 17 games against top-10 ranked opponents over the last seven (7) seasons, coming into 2019-20. They are 3-14 in that time.

South Carolina is in it's 6th consecutive season of being assured it will plays at least 5 or more games against top-10 ranked opponents. In the same time frame as Maryland above beginning with the 2012-13 season, it is 16-16 (now 17-16) against such opponents. The Gamecocks got a little home losing streak of their own right now, at three: unless #13 Kentucky rises up into the top 10 by the time we play them, we will have 3 top 10 chances to break the streak against Miss State, Connecticut, and Texas A&M.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: