RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G Stuff 19/20
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/24/19 1:00 pm    ::: B1G Stuff 19/20 Reply Reply with quote

For the first time I can remember, the Big Ten published the top five teams in the pre-season polls vs. the historical three.

https://bigten.org/news/2019/10/21/2019-20-womens-basketball-national-preseason-honors.aspx

2019-20 COACHES BIG TEN PRESEASON RANKINGS
MARYLAND
Michigan State
Indiana
Michigan
Purdue

2019-20 MEDIA BIG TEN PRESEASON RANKINGS
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Minnesota

Kaila Charles was the POY in both polls. See the link for the rest of the All-B1G teams.

Colerr

PostPosted: 10/24/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this will be a repeat of last year, with Rutgers being overlooked and finishing high at the end. We still have a lot of talent.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, the discrepancies (after Maryland) between polls makes it all the more interesting.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/24/19 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that Maryland wasn’t in bold in the media poll means the Terps weren’t a unanimous pick.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/25/19 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My memory tells me Ohio State must have the most Roller-Coasterific trajectory of any Big Ten team in the last decade....I take it they're not gonna be too hot this year, eh? Shocked

PostPosted: 10/26/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OSU has the #3 recruiting class in the country. 8 new players so it's hard to bell.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/27/19 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
OSU has the #3 recruiting class in the country. 8 new players so it's hard to bell.

That means we'll see if McGuff is really all that.

PostPosted: 10/27/19 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, he lost the girl out of same school Hart was from. Since she didn't get any better after her freshman year, I can understand her not wanting to got to OSU.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/27/19 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State is an interesting pick and a confounding one as well. They have a very experienced backcourt with Colley, McCutcheons, and Clouden, Who are all capable of putting points on the board and getting their own shot. But last season with that same backcourt, they struggled on the road against even lowly conference teams. I don't know why followers of the big 10 should expect any different this year

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/30/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan, per various media days, is moving towards "positionless basketball" and will be pressing more. For the second time in two years, they are replacing a 2000+ scorer (Flaherty/Thome).

I would expect the starters to be those with the most experience - Dilk, Johnson, Robbins, Brown and Hillmon. Freshman Izabel Varejao is expected to contribute right away. Our exhibition game is tonight, so I'm curious to see what kind of rotation is used with the others.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/04/19 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER: Shakira Austin wants even bigger things in second season at Maryland

https://www.fredericksburg.com/sports/how-i-spent-my-summer-shakira-austin-wants-even-bigger/article_1e6a5ff1-8ceb-5211-9620-c96c6d1a70e9.html

Quote:
this off-season, Austin’s primary focus has been diversifying her offensive attack with improved ball-handling and adding a pull-up jumper to her arsenal.

“A lot of people and a lot of coaches just see height and so that’s where they put me,” Austin said.

Sounds like A’ja Wilson.

Quote:
As a freshman at Maryland, she averaged 8.4 points per game to go along with 9.5 rebounds in 23.4 minutes per contest. She capped the season with perhaps her best overall performance. She scored 15 points, pulled down 10 rebounds, blocked six shots and recorded three steals in an 85-80 loss to UCLA in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Quote:
She’s been in the weight room adding muscle to what was once a lanky frame. Her father, David Austin, said his daughter now resembles WNBA standout A’ja Wilson who has a toned 6-foot-4 physique.

Quote:
“Even though she plays the center role she should be limitless in what she can do similar to a Brook Lopez or [Antetokounmpo],” David Austin said.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/06/19 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not sure what Minnesota did to make the preseason top 25. The Gophers finished in a 4-way tie for 6th in conference last season and were bounced out in the second round of the WNIT by Cincinnati. Is this still the Whalen effect?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/06/19 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In last nights game against Eastern Michigan, Shay Colley sustained a leg injury and had to be helped off the court. No update on her status. Michigan State, after narrowly leading by two at halftime, Outscored the Eagles 32 to 3 in the third quarter. Nia Clouden lead a deep contingent of double scoring perimeter players in spartan victory

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/06/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I’m not sure what Minnesota did to make the preseason top 25. The Gophers finished in a 4-way tie for 6th in conference last season and were bounced out in the second round of the WNIT by Cincinnati. Is this still the Whalen effect?

I assume it is the Whalen effect.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/06/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
In last nights game against Eastern Michigan, Shay Colley sustained a leg injury and had to be helped off the court.
Hate to see that...

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/06/19 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ariel Young, who was to be a sophomore this year, has disappeared from Michigan's roster. She only played 14 minutes last year but appeared in team photos last month. Her father is an assistant for Florida State's men's team.

Michigan's roster is down to 11.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/06/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota and MSU have the same problem: lack of height. Taiye Bello is probably the best rebounder in the conference but is 6’2 and the Gopher’s only starter over 5’10. MSU starters are 5’5, 5’8, 5’9, 6’1 guards plus Victoria Gaines who has been listed as 6’1 her entire career but is now miraculously 6’3. These teams are going to get crushed by bigger squads. Purdue has a similar issue unless 6’4 Rickie Woltman can make an impact as a freshman.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/06/19 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Minnesota and MSU have the same problem: lack of height. Taiye Bello is probably the best rebounder in the conference but is 6’2 and the Gopher’s only starter over 5’10. MSU starters are 5’5, 5’8, 5’9, 6’1 guards plus Victoria Gaines who has been listed as 6’1 her entire career but is now miraculously 6’3. These teams are going to get crushed by bigger squads. Purdue has a similar issue unless 6’4 Rickie Woltman can make an impact as a freshman.

Outside of Maryland, does any have a multitude of experienced siZe in the post? Michigan has Hillmon but who else? Iowa is depleted. Ohio state has Dorka. Purdue has Harris. Already talked about Minny and Michigan State.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/06/19 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hillmon, according to a recent interview with KBA, is just 6’1” (6’2” roster height) but has a wingspan of 6’7”. She is starting with 6’1” junior Hailey Brown, who has (somewhat quietly) started 61 games already. 6’4” Izabel Varajao will back them up, but I think she’ll give Brown a run for a starting spot.

Others I can think of with some sized experience are:

Kate Cain at Nebraska
Dorka Juhász at Ohio State

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/07/19 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2019/10/21/2019-20-big-ten-womens-basketball-preview-predictions/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/09/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State won last night but Shay Colley did not play after sustaining injury in the first game of the season. The victory last night wasover Detroit Mercy and 14 players entered the game for Michigan State as it turned out to be a rout. Lots of talent in the spartan back court but the front court will be a work in progress.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/09/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan beat Western Michigan last night by 21 in somewhat of a glitchy game. Starters Akienreh Johnson and Hailey Brown played just 12 and 14 minutes, respectively due to very early foul trouble. Kayla Robbins shined with 17 points, and Amy Dilk had her first career double-double.

The mood of opening night was saddened by the loss of our super fan, Chuck Raab, who sat courtside with his signs and big blue fist. https://twitter.com/umichwbball/status/1192810046293307392?s=21

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/12/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
The mood of opening night was saddened by the loss of our super fan, Chuck Raab, who sat courtside with his signs and big blue fist. https://twitter.com/umichwbball/status/1192810046293307392?s=21

Oh my word, that is so sad. I remember that guy well. Way, way back when I was coaching and we played at Michigan, I made it a point to go over to him after the game and thank him for being such an awesome fan and telling him that I wish our team had a fan like him. His antics (meant in the very best of ways) were awesome and you could tell he was having a blast.

May he RIP and condolences to his family, friends and the whole Michigan women's basketball community.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 11/14/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland is a bit of a mess, with Channise Lewis out for the first batch of games.
The freshman center led the team pointguard stats against South Carolina, but that'll be a season outlier.

Who's been playing Point Guard for them?
When do they expect Lewis to be back?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/14/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Maryland is a bit of a mess, with Channise Lewis out for the first batch of games.
The freshman center led the team pointguard stats against South Carolina, but that'll be a season outlier.

Who's been playing Point Guard for them?
When do they expect Lewis to be back?

Owusu is their PG. I was surprised that even when Lewis was available, Owusu started.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: