RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/17/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Turks and the Kurds have been killing each other in that part of the world for thousands of years. If Buttigieg thinks getting in the middle of that is wise or would be anything other than an endless deployment with no path to victory, he's out of his mind.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hillary Clinton appears to suggest Russians are 'grooming' Tulsi Gabbard for third-party run

Quote:
Former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton said Thursday the Russians are currently "grooming" a Democrat running in the presidential primary to run as a third-party candidate and champion their interests.

The comment appears to be directed at Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, who has been accused of being cozy with Russia in the past.

"I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said, speaking on a podcast with former Obama adviser David Plouffe. "She's the favorite of the Russians."

Quote:
Gabbard responded on Twitter Friday afternoon to Clinton's comments.

"Thank you @HillaryClinton. You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain," she tweeted.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/politics/hillary-clinton-tulsi-gabbard/index.html

PostPosted: 10/18/19 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabbard already said months ago that she wouldn't run third party. Sore loser laws and simultaneous registration schemes make it unrealistic, if not impossible.

PostPosted: 10/19/19 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Gabbard already said months ago that she wouldn't run third party. Sore loser laws and simultaneous registration schemes make it unrealistic, if not impossible.

She wouldn’t be running to win. She’d be running to suck votes from Democrats, in the way that Jill did.

PostPosted: 10/19/19 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

She wouldn’t be running to win. She’d be running to suck votes from Democrats, in the way that Jill did.

The laws make it impossible for someone who lost in the primaries to run in the general in all but a couple of states. She wouldn't even be able to get on the ballot.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The laws make it impossible for someone who lost in the primaries to run in the general in all but a couple of states. She wouldn't even be able to get on the ballot.

Sore loser laws generally don’t apply to presidential campaigns, she would just have to exit the race prior to those few states that have those rules.

Tulsi and her campaign would have the ability to overcome any administrative and financial restrictions.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sore loser laws generally don’t apply to presidential campaigns, she would just have to exit the race prior to those few states that have those rules.

Tulsi and her campaign would have the ability to overcome any administrative and financial restrictions.

Simultaneous registration accomplishes the same thing. She'd be limited to a handful of states, at best.

All of which is moot, since she's said she won't do it.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In contrast with former Vice President Joe Biden – who said when he announced his campaign that “America’s coming back like we used to be” – Buttigieg counters that “we’ve got to find a new future.”

Quote:
“I’m not afraid to stand, or even fight for, what I believe in,” Buttigieg told USA TODAY. “But when you hear the word 'fight’ so many times, it starts sounding like fighting is the point. That’s where I think we’re at risk of losing our way.”

Quote:
Buttigieg said the willingness he showed in South Bend to try something new – but to test it out first – helps explains why he doesn’t back as big a transformation in health care as the government-run Medicare for all approach favored by Warren and Sanders. Under what he calls his “Medicare for all who want it” plan, people would have the choice of joining a government health program or staying with an employer-sponsored or individual private insurance coverage.

“We’re talking about the biggest innovation in U.S. health care since the innovation of Medicare itself,” he said. “But also, I’m not assuming that it’s going to work for everyone right away. Which is why I think it’s so important not to force people onto it.”

Quote:
“Whenever people have thought the stage is bigger, perhaps, than he could be on, or should be on,” Garcetti said, “he’s always been able to show them he absolutely is ready.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/10/20/pete-buttigieg-mayoral-record-differences-biden-warren/3976814002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/21/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-10-21/zuckerberg-offered-advice-in-hiring-to-buttigieg-in-rare-move

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 10/24/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Klobuchar just became the ninth candidate to clear the hurdles to make it to the November debate.

The others confirmed for November's debate are Biden, Booker, Buttigieg, Harris, Sanders, Steyer, Warren, and Yang.

The invitation list will be finalized on November 13, so candidates still have a couple weeks to make it.

Of the 12 on the stage in October, only Castro, Gabbard, and O'Rourke have failed to qualify so far for the next one. They all have enough donors, but don't have the polling support.

O'Rourke is 2 polls shy. Gabbard is 3 polls shy. Castro hasn't had a single qualifying poll yet.

PostPosted: 10/26/19 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JtPQQjj01kM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 10/26/19 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JtPQQjj01kM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ahhhh, yes. One of Bill's more magnificent monologues. It should be developed into a pre-debate seminar for all Dem contenders. Cool

PostPosted: 11/01/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beto O'Rourke ends 2020 presidential bid

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/politics/beto-orourke-drops-out/index.html

Quote:
O'Rourke told supporters in an email that he will not run for office next year. That means he will also not become a Senate candidate in Texas

PostPosted: 11/01/19 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala Harris shutters offices throughout New Hampshire

Quote:
Sen. Kamala Harris’ campaign has almost completely shuttered its New Hampshire campaign, with no visible activity at any of her offices in the state.

The campaign confirmed it is largely abandoning New Hampshire, keeping only a skeleton crew and canceling an upcoming visit. Harris also will not file in person to be on the ballot, a tradition that garners local media attention.

Harris, one of my initial faves, has not done nearly as well as expected especially since she was wiped-out in debate by the wetsuited wahine. Maybe Tulsi will continue to surf closer to the electoral shore on her slowly growing wave of relative policy sanity.
Genero36

PostPosted: 11/04/19 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="607" height="341" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CPDr9wGNEfg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/CPDr9wGNEfg

PostPosted: 11/06/19 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a (slightly) related theme: Democratic challenger Beshear defeats Republican gubernatorial incumbent for Kentucky governorship, and VA state house goes Democratic also. If KY can do it?? GOOD SIGN! Now let's hope the tide continues in the KY senatorial race.

PostPosted: 11/06/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V9EPQzRQi00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 11/07/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael Bloomberg to enter race?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/469515-bloomberg-preparing-to-enter-presidential-race-nyt

Quote:
People briefed on Bloomberg’s plans told The New York Times that he will file paperwork this week to declare himself a candidate in the Alabama presidential primary ahead of the state’s filing deadline Friday.

PostPosted: 11/07/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michael Bloomberg to enter race?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/469515-bloomberg-preparing-to-enter-presidential-race-nyt

Quote:
People briefed on Bloomberg’s plans told The New York Times that he will file paperwork this week to declare himself a candidate in the Alabama presidential primary ahead of the state’s filing deadline Friday.

ooooh, i'd like to see the numbers inserting him in the matchups.

PostPosted: 11/07/19 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Warren is fizzling out. She has lost the support of Silicon Valley and Wall Street (and of course the taxpayers). Bernie has already suffered a heart attack. So where does that leave the rest of the field? Biden is still running away with the nomination at the moment. Kamala can stick a fork in it. Will this open the door for Buttigieg? Maybe a newcomer gets in (Hillary maybe)?

Kamala, Warren and Bernie have to know that they're not getting it. Will they get out and endorse mayor Pete? Right now it looks to be the only way to knock off Biden. Otherwise this will be a repeat of 2016 in the sense that people didn't get out when should have (like Kasich in 2016) and you end up with a different nominee.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/08/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Warren is fizzling out. She has lost the support of Silicon Valley and Wall Street (and of course the taxpayers). Bernie has already suffered a heart attack. So where does that leave the rest of the field? Biden is still running away with the nomination at the moment. Kamala can stick a fork in it. Will this open the door for Buttigieg? Maybe a newcomer gets in (Hillary maybe)?

Kamala, Warren and Bernie have to know that they're not getting it. Will they get out and endorse mayor Pete? Right now it looks to be the only way to knock off Biden. Otherwise this will be a repeat of 2016 in the sense that people didn't get out when should have (like Kasich in 2016) and you end up with a different nominee.

I do not think she is fizzling out in as dire a way as your post makes it seem. But I do agree with the sentiment that she has lost momentum in recent weeks.

FiveThirtyEight recently (this morning -- November 8, 2019, at 5:58 am) presented polling averages for Democratic presidential candidates in the three weeks before and three weeks after the Oct. 15 debate.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/despite-his-heart-attack-sanders-is-still-solidly-in-third/

Joe Biden is still first, Elizabeth Warren is still second, and Bernie Sanders is still third.

However, per FiveThirtyEight:

--- Of the three leading candidates in the race, Sanders had the largest gain (1.5 points) in the polls after the debate, and Warren actually saw a decline in support (1.7 points).

--- With Warren’s drop and Sanders’s gain, the gap between second and third place shrank by about 3 points in our average, from 6.8 points to 3.6 points.

--- Buttigieg saw the largest gains following the debate — 1.7 points — but his national average is still 10 points lower than Sanders’s.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/08/19 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A month ago Warren was tied with Biden in the RCP national averages. Today Biden has pushed his lead out to almost eight points.

PostPosted: 11/08/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A month ago Warren was tied with Biden in the RCP national averages. Today Biden has pushed his lead out to almost eight points.

Three months ago, Biden's lead over Warren was 15.5 points in the RCP national averages (and Warren was just behind Sanders at that point).

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

Howee

PostPosted: 11/09/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Three months ago, Biden's lead over Warren was 15.5 points in the RCP national averages (and Warren was just behind Sanders at that point).

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

....and three months from NOW?? This is one helluva roller coaster.

Sambista's earlier post is deserving of a revisit: Cool

sambista wrote:

(....and we can now ignore the Beto references)

PostPosted: 11/09/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again,

Sanders and Warren will continue to be dead in the water unless they can convince people of color to vote for them. Regardless of what National Polls say.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 24 of 43

Jump to: