RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

California @ Connecticut (5) - 11/10/19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
California
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Connecticut
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Shades

PostPosted: 11/05/19 3:44 pm    ::: California @ Connecticut (5) - 11/10/19 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 1:00 PM ET
TV: SNY

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch?id=97c21c2e-c02e-4ee8-b76c-e8bc68531909&rb=true

Audio:
https://tunein.com/radio/California-Golden-Bears-at-Connecticut-(UConn)-Huskies-Nov-10-2019-p1269362/

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=conn

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401169172

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/10/19 4:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/05/19 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Cal fan I would have to define down winning to scoring half the points of UConn to take the Bears. I am curious to see how Cal's foreign contingent will do. Senior center Chen Yue, a 6-7 center from China has largely just played garbage time so far but is supposed to be a significant contributor this season. Sara Anastasieska, an Australian who transferred from UTSA a few years ago, is supposed to be a 3 point threat but got little playing time two years ago and was injured all last season. The other foreigner is Freshman forward Evelien Lutje Schipholt from the Netherlands. She has looked good in Cal's two exhibitions, but UConn appears to be better than Beijing Normal or Vanguard.

I am just hoping that the Bears can go 1-1 in New England. They play Harvard on Friday. The Crimson already beat Cal a few months ago when McKenzie Forbes decided to transfer there a few months ago (she is ineligible this season), but that game will be far more competitive than UConn

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/05/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
, but UConn appears to be better than Beijing Normal or Vanguard.

I am just hoping that the Bears can go 1-1 in New England.

g1. Yes, getting a W will be a tall, tall order this year...but good things are around the corner for y'all (ie all those top recruits coming in). And how can someone with a first name of Charmin be anything but good?!

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 11/10/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

g1. Yes, getting a W will be a tall, tall order this year...but good things are around the corner for y'all (ie all those top recruits coming in). And how can someone with a first name of Charmin be anything but good?!

I heard she is soft.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/19 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I heard she is soft.

but strong! Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where has all the UConn gone. Long time ago...

Guess it's a bit too early to feel too sorry for Geno, but this really does not look good.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 11/10/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Guess it's a bit too early to feel too sorry for Geno, but this really does not look good.

Sweating your pick of UConn? Very Happy

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/10/19 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

So funny.....i've been prepping for my women's basketball coverage today by listening to the Hollies and the Byrds.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/10/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't find the puking emoticon.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/10/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal was picked to finish second to last in the Pac. Are they just really good (probably not as the hideous Harvard loss suggests) or is UConn just really bad? Judging from the gigantic talent difference, UConn should be up by 30 at the half.

Last edited by LitePal on 11/10/19 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/19 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

would not want to be in the UConn lockerroom at half.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 11/10/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Geno hired Holly Warlick to redesign the UConn offense, and that's about the story. I've never seen more "create your own shot" since DT graduated.

UConn missed 12 of the 23 layup attempts, and I don't think that includes the times they had the ball stripped on drives.

This is what happens when players spend 95% of their practice on dribbling skills and 5% on making layups.

But RPI and SOS will see this as a nice win vs a P5 opponent. Rolling Eyes

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/10/19 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly after this game if I were Geno, I'd say F The NCAA and just play Westbrook. This team is so shorthanded after the top 4 it's unwatchable. Nothing of substance will be vacated if you play her because they are clearly not going to be winning the championship this year.

Show some balls Geno. Play Evina.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/10/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The perspective might change somewhat by the end of the season, but as of now it does not look good. A lot of fans on the Boneyard seemed to think that the coach and Uconn history alone was enough to ensure them of a final-four finish.

PostPosted: 11/10/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
The perspective might change somewhat by the end of the season, but as of now it does not look good. A lot of fans on the Boneyard seemed to think that the coach and Uconn history alone was enough to ensure them of a final-four finish.

Actually, that's not the case at all. A majority of posters on BY know this season is work and a Final Four is in question so get your facts straight before posting! As for other comments, it seems like it's always the non-UConn fans coming on here and trying to stir the pot. Always surprised when myrtle hangs in there with the petty..

Howee

PostPosted: 11/10/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
As for other comments, it seems like it's always the non-UConn fans coming on here and trying to stir the pot. Always surprised when myrtle hangs in there with the petty..

DUDE! "Stirring the Pot" is what we fans DO! Razz Laughing Take a deep breath, and relax....it's a looong season ahead, too long to get torqued over this mild thread.

(....and Myrtlicious only *Stirs* her hardest on the 'Tipping' and 'Fantasy' threads. Cool )

PostPosted: 11/10/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't say the sky is falling yet, but the Huskies definitely didn't look like a top 5 team in the country. Maybe Top 25 at best..Cal just found seems and thank goodness for ONO scaring some of those shots into airballs, otherwise Cal may have came out with the W. Walker and Williams need to gel..seems like they were trying to outdo each other wheres at the KLou Phees duo was looking for each other.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/19 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not sure what I said that would be interpreted as 'petty', but to each their own. Linkster is being much harder on his own team than I ever would be...

and I agree UConn will probably be a top 25 team and maybe even a top 16. But we're not used to seeing this type of play from them. Some of it is simply expectations. Walker and Williams are both the real deal and quite fun to watch. Crystal has to adjust to what's around her. They need some three shooting from somewhere. Not convinced Ododa can hold her own against some of the better posts in the country and that will be a problem. What happened to Adebayo? I thought she would be Ododa's backup. Is she injured or just not up to standard?

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/10/19 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think geno's comment re: 2005 is accurate. Crying or Very sad

hey 99- irwin started! WTF

PostPosted: 11/10/19 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm 90% confident UConn would not finish last in the Pac-12.

41% shooting and 12 assists against a weak team is not your grandfather's or granddaughter's UConn.

Micro-observations: ONO still brings the ball down too low, around her hip, on too many rebounds and shots, allowing a dwarf to block or strip her. Griffin seems afraid to take an outside shot even when open. The alleged (by some) best backcourt in the country, Dangerfield and Williams, just ain't . . . with five combined assists and four turnovers. Both have to feed a lot more off penetrations instead of shooting, which also requires the off-ball players to be making intelligent picks and cuts.

Well, it's just the first game. But what a contrast to Oregon.
linkster

PostPosted: 11/10/19 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've trashed the performance already.

I count on UConn to give me a reason not to watch my Giants on Sunday afternoons.

Since seeing Geno's Press conference it looks as if the 2 freshmen were tight as drums. And I realize now that what was missing today was any transition game. UConn never pushed the pace of play and if they are good at anything it's running. Hopefully the freshmen will calm down. Seven of the next nine are away games. All are winnable. Vandi next.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/10/19 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO, #5 HG, #7 PN went up against Chen Yue and Celeste West, both unrated. Yue essentially never even played and West is still out of shape. ONO damn well should have been able to dominate those two. As an athlete, she is certainly a class beyond either of them.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/11/19 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
i think geno's comment re: 2005 is accurate. Crying or Very sad

hey 99- irwin started! WTF

Twyla Perwin baby!

As I said, what does he have to lose? Play Evina. They are not winning either way. It would make the season more watchable, send Twyla back to the bench, give the frosh a chance to develop off the bench as they should. And best of all the season would be vacated anyways! Erased from memory!

Do it Geno. Play Evina.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/11/19 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the bright side, I think we may be better than Harvard.

PostPosted: 11/12/19 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm amazed at the negativity towards UCONN. Yes, this was a bad game, but I see the Huskies having no trouble winning the AAC and likely finishing their time in the league unbeaten. I will be shocked if they are not top 16. There are only a few teams with more talent and no one with a better coach. They may not make the final 4, particularly since they have to travel for the regional, but they will at least make the second weekend of the tournament.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: