RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acsuc99

PostPosted: 10/21/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
...aaaaand 1st night kicks off the season.

Molly Bent drills the final 5th ball on the rack- the 2pter-, at the buzzer, to win the 3 pt contest over Anna Meerkat, by 1.

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY! I can just imagine our shock or dismay if she is the 5th starter!

Why didn't Squeaks participate?

Anna Maka-RAT has a very funky shooting form and I for one can't wait for GlennMacgraddy's manifesto examining it. Is Glennmac still around? The Rat looks like one of those sound skilled European white chicks that Oregon has. Nice!

ONO has to be one of the better female dunkers in a while. She dunks with ease and is not labored doing it. I hear Geno always whining about fans and attendance...well...let the ONO dunk Geno and maybe palpable buzz will follow!

Audrey Griffin tried a dunk and like most wimin's players looked foolish attempting it. She seemed to be goated into it by Dangerfield so that's not encouraging that CD has improved her decision making.

Aaliyah Edwards seemed to be enjoying herself. So no Crystal Langhorne sour puss face visit from hell to worry about.

I don't like that the Meerkat shot is released from the nose/mouth area- vulnerable to blockage? But she seems to be a quick thinker/shooter, and is 6', so maybe it doesn't matter.

HAHAHA re Langhorn sour puss. That was the most obvious HELL NO! ever.

Okay, I missed out on everything back then...but what was the story behind Langhorne?

Langhorne went to the sadly now demised UCONN SUPER SHOW with the dreaded class of 2004 Charde Houston and Mel "Put Put" Thomas. Ketia Swanier might have been there to.

While most recruits spotted in public at the joyous SUPER SHOW are usually seen smiling, happy, and enjoying themselves on the road to commitment, Crystal Langhorne sported a sour puss that could be seen from the nose bleeds. Even during the T Shirt toss which gets even the oldest on their feet and out of their seats couldn't entice Crystal to move. She was not enjoying herself and looked like she wanted to be anywhere else. And she did!

linkster

PostPosted: 10/24/19 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn rounds out a tremendous 2020 recruiting class with 6'2 forward Aaliyah Edwards from Canada.

For a look here's her playing this summer for the Canadian National Team vs the watered-down US National Team. Edwards held her own.

https://youtu.be/dtoZeySaWE8

This looks like a great recruiting class, 2 guards, 2 forwards and a post. Some rawness there but tons of talent.

And Paige Bueckers. Wink

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/24/19 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now if we can get that waiver for Westbrook...

PostPosted: 10/26/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

You have to wonder if some of Geno's recent disses of the Lady Vols ("it won't be what it used to...."I didn't want to play them") might have something to do with them blocking the waiver.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/26/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You have to wonder if some of Geno's recent disses of the Lady Vols ("it won't be what it used to...."I didn't want to play them") might have something to do with them blocking the waiver.

Question Can one school block a waiver to be granted to another? Shocked

PostPosted: 11/01/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No waiver for Westbrook.

Crying or Very sad

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/01/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GUESS YOU HAVE TO BE A RICH WHITE GIRL AND GO PLAY FOR MUFFIE TO GET A GOSH DAMN WAIVER.SMH!!!!

Speebs56

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
GUESS YOU HAVE TO BE A RICH WHITE GIRL AND GO PLAY FOR MUFFIE TO GET A GOSH DAMN WAIVER.SMH!!!!

I sort of doubt that Jessica Shepard is rich...

However, I thought the coaching change was typically grounds for granting waiver. Or is THAT as arbitrary as the NCAA chooses?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

However, I thought the coaching change was typically grounds for granting waiver. Or is THAT as arbitrary as the NCAA chooses?

The thing is. Evina decided to transfer BEFORE the coaching change. I don’t think you can compare Shepherd to Westbrook in this scenario.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Posters on here said her dad is a lawyer and I've never met a poor lawyer...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

The thing is. Evina decided to transfer BEFORE the coaching change. I don’t think you can compare Shepherd to Westbrook in this scenario.

Evina ruined her own chances. Had she shut her mouth before transferring about Holly she may have gotten the waiver. This does not surprise me at all.

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Evina ruined her own chances. Had she shut her mouth before transferring about Holly she may have gotten the waiver. This does not surprise me at all.

Maybe. Or not. I don't envy Geno at all. She is pouty and not a particularly good team player.....more like DDS than anyone else, really. Tennessee is, on the whole, much better off without her, skills or not. I wish y'all joy of her.

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serves her right for going back East instead of being a good girl and staying on the West Coast where she could be on a good team. Very Happy Wink

- Amanda Gorman
SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to set some FACTS straight, Evina entered the transfer portal within a few weeks after making the Holly Warlick comments. After the coaching change, she said she would consider staying to play for the new coach. Ultimately, she transferred. She made a mistake, pulled back, and said I'll give it a chance. It didn't pan out and she transferred. She was still taking part in workouts and seemed like she was seriously giving it a go.

So...Jess Shepard voiced her concern as a freshman along with her parents because Yori was always on her for getting in shape. She did all of her damage on the court to opposing teams in limited minutes..however..she helped rally the troops against Yori and she was gone. Jess stayed to play for the next coach to give it a shot..it didn't pan out and she transferred after the 2017 season. Yeah Jess didn't go in record, but she eventually admitted to herself that she needed to lose weight, get fit.

Sooo..why does one get a pass, but not the other? Both wanted change and both listened to what the new coach had to say and both set sail. Yes, Jess played a season, but mainly because Nebraska was her home. To me, it reeks of jealousy and the good girls league...bush

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/01/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Maybe. Or not. I don't envy Geno at all. She is pouty and not a particularly good team player.....more like DDS than anyone else, really. Tennessee is, on the whole, much better off without her, skills or not. I wish y'all joy of her.

Not sure about her being pouty , i know she was very sensitive as a player but i do agree they will be better without her.

PostPosted: 11/01/19 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SD hoops ,

If a player files for a waiver stating "Bad Treatment" or w/e it was then why even consider staying ? She made a mistake ? I changed my mind i might stay then i change my mind again im leaving . Now i left because i was treated poorly by an organization i almost decided to go back too ? Laughing Laughing Poor Evina. She will get her shot next season . Her ultimate goal is to be a WNBA player. She understands her chances are better with UCONN as everyone else does , but the way she tried to play the transfer game left her played out. JMO

PostPosted: 11/01/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Poor Evina"? Oh please. She made her bed, she can lie in it until next season.

PostPosted: 11/01/19 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Serves her right for going back East instead of being a good girl and staying on the West Coast where she could be on a good team. Very Happy Wink

This. (you tell 'em, Myrtlicious!) Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 11/01/19 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm..all these posters didn't have the same attitude toward Jess Shep. Your green and gold chonies are showing..

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/01/19 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno compains that the three-point line didn't get moved back:
https://sports.yahoo.com/geno-auriemma-says-womens-basketball-blew-it-by-not-moving-3-point-line-back-uconn-155248154.html

I kinda think he's right. It will eventually be done so why not now when the men's line is going back?

- Amanda Gorman
Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/01/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Hmm..all these posters didn't have the same attitude toward Jess Shep. Your green and gold chonies are showing..

I can vouch that Myrtle and Howee are the furthest thing from Notre Dame fans. We all shout with glee when Tara masterminds an upset of the Domers. Well, except Howee who ditched the Stanford Bandwagon for some quacks up north. The fact of the matter is that the Jess Shepherd and Evina Westbrook scenarios were extremely different, and one shouldn’t be used to justify the other getting a transfer.

You can dispute the timeline all you want. The fact is, that Evina was put in a difficult situation by a reporter, and said something she probably shouldn’t have. The fact is, Evina decided to leave UT before Holly was fired. The fact is she did have a conversation with Harper in which she reinforced her decision to leave and Harper didn’t get a chance to prove that things would be different. The fact is, UT didn’t place any restrictions that I know of on where Evina could transfer and Harper moved on without her.

While I whole heartedly agree that the transfer process needs reform and more transparency, none of us know what went into the decision to have Westbrook play last season on a bum knee. None of us know what exactly the dynamics were behind the scene between Holly and Evina. The fact is, Evina was successful on the floor but her attitude along with Holly’s inability to raise Tennessee’s level when it was needed caused a pretty bad situation to occur between various invested parties.

I guess, what it boils down to on a basic level for me is the following. Let’s say we had an all-conference player from Wake Forest. A team with a terrible record due to a not so great coach. Let’s say that player publicly said something negative about the coach who was respected despite disappointing results, would the NCAA allow that player to chase a national title elsewhere? While I agree that there needs to be something done to protect the vested interest of the student athlete, I also hesitate to pass judgement. What’s to prevent athletes in the future who are all conference performers from deciding that they don’t like the level of success they’ve attained or the coach and transfer to a program in search of national titles? That’s essentially what this boils down to for me.

I do feel a great deal of sympathy for the situation that Evina has at UT; however, her situation and subsequent coaching change at UT was drastically different to Nebraska and Georgia Tech. In the latter examples, allegations of coaching abuse were validated by independent sources outside of the university which lead to the firing of Yori and Joseph. This did not happen at UT, and strictly by the rules as they stand....Westbrook has to sit. It may not be fair or logical to a UConn fan but...the above are the facts that I’ve heard.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/01/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Geno compains that the three-point line didn't get moved back:
https://sports.yahoo.com/geno-auriemma-says-womens-basketball-blew-it-by-not-moving-3-point-line-back-uconn-155248154.html

I kinda think he's right. It will eventually be done so why not now when the men's line is going back?

Part of it could be not wanting to look like a puppy dog on a leash, following the men.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/01/19 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eversoslightly Off Topic, but....

Coyotes wrote:
In the latter examples, allegations of coaching abuse were validated by independent sources outside of the university which lead to the firing of Yori and Joseph.

Yori? I didn't think there were any abuse allegations against her except for some disgruntled players being unhappy. Am I missing something....?

PostPosted: 11/02/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I agree that Westbrook shouldn't have qualified for a waiver, I strongly disagree that Tenn will be better without her. They are sadly lacking at the PG position now. Massengill can't take control of the offense and is a mediocre shooter and defender, and Horston is unlikely to shine as a freshman. Green isn't a PG either, although she may have a great season at SG. Westbrook would have been a huge asset this year, particularly under new coaching.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/02/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon received waivers to play immediately for Louisville this year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 12 of 19

Jump to: