RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Francis Ford Coppola Says Marvel Movies Are ‘Despicable’

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 10/20/19 10:26 pm    ::: Francis Ford Coppola Says Marvel Movies Are ‘Despicable’ Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration…I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again,” the 80-year-old filmmaker said, according to Yahoo! News. “Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.”

Quote:
“The Irishman” director Martin Scorsese dragged the Marvel Cinematic Universe films out to pasture last weekend when he said, “Theaters have become amusement parks,” according to CNET. “That is all fine and good but don’t invade everything else in that sense. … That is fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film and, by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. It’s not my kind of thing; it simply is not. It’s creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that.”

Coppola’s claims further underscore Scorsese’s recent rant wherein the Academy Award-winning director said, “It’s not cinema, it’s something else,” regarding the MCU movies. “We shouldn’t be invaded by it. We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/francis-ford-coppola-says-marvel-movies-are-despicable/ar-AAJ4trA?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 10/20/19 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/21/19 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

I guess if one needs to pretend these cartoons are "cinema", and that comic books are graphic "novels", this type of slander has meaning.

PostPosted: 10/28/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Viola Davis Defends Marvel, DC Storytelling: "Art Lives in That World of Imagination"

Quote:
She continued: “Art lives in that world of imagination. It’s a playground there. It’s God’s playground. It’s not up to anyone to say what deserves to be there and what doesn’t deserve to be there. It’s anything that you want to be in that place can live there. And that is why we have some of the greatest painters, some of the greatest actors, some of the greatest writers, and that’s why we live. So I do believe that there’s a place for all of it.”

Davis did qualify that she loves all of Scorsese’s films. “I think he was voicing his opinion. I think it’s valid,” she said. “Everyone had a place, an opinion. But I like a good Marvel movie.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/viola-davis-defends-marvel-dc-storytelling-art-lives-in-that-world-of-imagination/ar-AAJrk4t?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: