RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin Indicted in Alleged Scheme
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/04/19 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm going to just start calling this woman 'the great' Caitlin Flanagan. Because she and I see things so very much alike, but she's about a thousand times the writer I am. And this is a trend I think inherent in the combination of the unique times we live in and the talents of some of the great journalists out there, but THIS is another one of those jammer's best things ever written articles.

It's also, ahem, another one of those windows into California that, heretofore, you weren't really privy to all that much. Unless you read my stuff on Rebkell's and somehow found it inside yourself to believe me. Everyone should read things like this about California and try very hard to understand what people who live here are trying to tell you. I would hope that someone like this writer would put together a 300 page indictment of this place and the limousine liberals who inhabit it.

One thing, as she recounts her days as a college counselor at one of LA's most exclusive private high schools, notice how often she uses the word 'powerful' in discussing the parents she had to deal with.

The Atlantic: They Had It Coming

The parents indicted in the college-admissions scandal were responding to a changing America, with rage at being robbed of what they believed was rightfully theirs.

Caitlin Flanagan

Contributing writer at The Atlantic and author of Girl Land

(excerpts)

"Every parent assumed that whatever alchemy of good genes and good credit had gotten his child a spot at the prep school was the same one that would land him a spot at a hyper-selective college. It was true that a quarter of the class went to the Ivy League, and another quarter to places such as Stanford, MIT, and Amherst. But that still left half the class, and I was the one who had to tell their parents that they were going to have to be flexible. Before each meeting, I prepared a list of good colleges that the kid had a strong chance of getting into, but these parents didn’t want colleges their kids had a strong chance of getting into; they wanted colleges their kids didn’t have a chance in hell of getting into. A successful first meeting often consisted of walking them back from the crack pipe of Harvard to the Adderall crash of Middlebury and then scheduling a follow-up meeting to douse them with the bong water of Denison.

The new job meant that I had signed myself up to be locked in a small office, appointment after appointment, with hugely powerful parents and their mortified children as I delivered news so grimly received that I began to think of myself less as an administrator than as an oncologist. Along the way they said such crass things, such rude things, such greedy things, and such borderline-racist things that I began to hate them. They, in turn, began to hate me. A college counselor at an elite prep school is supposed to be a combination of cheerleader, concierge, and talent agent, radically on the side of each case and applying steady pressure on the dream college to make it happen. At the very least, the counselor is not supposed to be an adversary.

I just about got an ulcer sitting in that office listening to rich people complaining bitterly about an “unfair” or a “rigged” system. Sometimes they would say things so outlandish that I would just stare at them, trying to beam into their mind the question, Can you hear yourself? That so many of them were (literal) limousine liberals lent the meetings an element of radical chic. They were down for the revolution, but there was no way their kid was going to settle for Lehigh.

Some of the parents—especially, in those days, the fathers—were such powerful professionals, and I (as you recall) was so poor, obscure, plain, and little, that it was as if they were cracking open a cream puff with a panzer. This was before crying in the office was a thing, so I had to just sit there and take it. Then the admissions letters arrived from the colleges. If the kid got in, it’s because he was a genius; if he didn’t, it was because I screwed up. When a venture capitalist and his ageless wife storm into your boss’s office to get you fired because you failed to get their daughter (conscientious, but no atom splitter) into the prestigious school they wanted, you can really start to question whether it’s worth the 36K."

PostPosted: 04/08/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I am ashamed of the pain I have caused my daughter, my family, my friends, my colleagues and the educational community. I want to apologize to them and, especially, I want to apologize to the students who work hard every day to get into college, and to their parents who make tremendous sacrifices to support their children and do so honestly.

"My daughter knew absolutely nothing about my actions, and in my misguided and profoundly wrong way, I have betrayed her. This transgression toward her and the public I will carry for the rest of my life. My desire to help my daughter is no excuse to break the law or engage in dishonesty," she said in the statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/08/us/felicity-huffman-guilty-admissions/index.html

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lori Loughlin Rejected Plea Deal Before New Charges, Says Source: 'Not Seeing How Serious This Is'

Quote:
But Loughlin and her husband, fashion designer J. Mossimo Giannulli, have not entered pleas — and a source close to them tells PEOPLE that they have resisted any agreements that would result in jail time. Under federal guidelines, both of them would have gotten between 18-24 months in jail under a plea agreement.

“They weren’t ready to accept that,” says the source, who is familiar with the legal discussions in the case. “They’re really not seeing how serious this is.”

On Tuesday, things got worse for Loughlin and Giannulli, who were each hit with money laundering charges. They now face up to 20 years in prison for each charge.

“They were offered the carrot and the stick,” the source tells PEOPLE. “The carrot was that this can all go away and you can serve your time and put it behind you. Remember, they were facing 20 years, even before the latest charges. The stick was that [the prosecution] would and could pile on more serious charges.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/lori-loughlin-rejected-plea-deal-before-new-charges-says-source-not-seeing-how-serious-this-is/ar-BBVMneK?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Please make an example of these sociopaths.

PostPosted: 04/15/19 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
(CNN)Actress Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli have pleaded not guilty to two conspiracy charges in the college admissions scandal, according to federal court filings entered Monday.

They also waived their right to appear in court for an arraignment on a money laundering charge, according to the signed documents.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/us/lori-loughlin-not-guilty/index.html

PostPosted: 04/15/19 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what they’re thinking is this, and, of course, in this case even I would give a side eye to the odds that I’m right. But I think they could be thinking something like, if we take a deal we’re going to jail for a long time. And we don’t know what they’ve been offered, right? But I’m hearing that it could be a really long time like over five years? So they could be counting that as the end of their happy lives on this earth. I don’t know. And so they’re like, no, we’re going to fight this and if we lose and get ten what’s the difference between that and five? You admit nothing. But you give yourself a chance to potentially shoot enough holes in the case etc. And, probably most importantly, you drag this thing out for as long as possible, delay sentencing potentially for years? I mean, it’s not like that’s never been done before.

PostPosted: 05/13/19 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Felicity Huffman’s Guilty Plea Could Bring 4 Months in Jail

Quote:
BOSTON — The actress Felicity Huffman stood facing the judge, looking somber and subdued, in a gray dress and gray sweater. She wanted to make a few things clear, she said. Her daughter was not involved in the scheme to cheat on the SAT. And neither was a neuropsychologist who had treated her daughter since she was 8 years old. The responsibility, Ms. Huffman seemed to say, should only fall on her.

“I just didn’t want — I’m sorry, your honor,” she said, her voice breaking. “I just didn’t want to create the impression that the neuropsychologist had any part in this.”
'

Quote:
The complaint said that, in exchange for Mr. Singer’s arranging the cheating on their older daughter’s SAT, Mr. Macy and Ms. Huffman paid $15,000 to a fraudulent charity run by Mr. Singer. In a phone conversation recorded by investigators, Mr. Macy was on the line along with Ms. Huffman and Mr. Singer when plans — in the end, never carried out — were discussed for falsifying the SAT scores of their younger daughter as well.

“Are we all O.K. with the financial side and the actual operational side of it?” Mr. Singer asked Mr. Macy and Ms. Huffman in that phone call.

“Cool,” Mr. Macy responded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/us/felicity-huffman-guilty-college-admissions-scandal.html

PostPosted: 05/13/19 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody *get* why Felicity is always seen going in/out of the courthouse holding her lawyer's hand?? Appears a bit odd, to me. Shocked

PostPosted: 05/13/19 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Anybody *get* why Felicity is always seen going in/out of the courthouse holding her lawyer's hand?? Appears a bit odd, to me. Shocked

I actually don't mind if she gets a light sentence. Aunt Becky, on the other hand, should be made an example of. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/15/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lori Loughlin Thinks She’ll ‘Return to Work’ After Scandal Blows Over

Quote:
“[Lori] reads everything that’s written about her and it’s killing her that her squeaky-clean reputation has done a total 180,” a source says exclusively in the new issue of Us Weekly. “She thinks she’s not going to serve jail time and [will] return to work.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/lori-loughlin-thinks-shell-return-to-work-after-scandal-blows-over/ar-AABoDqQ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 05/15/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope she knows how to fold laundry.

PostPosted: 05/15/19 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm sure she'll fall under the care of *Bertha* the prison laundress, and be well-cared for. Razz

PostPosted: 05/16/19 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the bribery first came to light when a guy named Morrie Tobin offered information to investigators in order to get them to go lighter on him for some other crime:

The bizarre story of the L.A. dad who exposed the college admissions scandal

Quote:
“Our first lead in this came during interviews with a target of an entirely separate investigation, who gave us a tip that this activity might be going on,” he said.

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/16/19 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm sure she'll fall under the care of *Bertha* the prison laundress, and be well-cared for. Razz

PostPosted: 09/13/19 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Felicity Huffman sentenced to 14 days in prison

Quote:
Huffman also received a $30,000 fine, 250 hours of community service and one year supervised release, federal court Judge Indira Talwani said today in Boston.

Before announcing the sentencing, Talwani said Huffman knew what she did was wrong, saying, “She knew it was a fraud it was not an impulsive act.”

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/felicity-huffman-sentencing-college-scandal/index.html

PostPosted: 09/13/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone go check on Aunt Becky!! I bet she wished she took the plea now.

PostPosted: 09/13/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's why Lori Loughlin is facing up to 40 years in prison in the college-admissions scandal while Felicity Huffman, who pleaded guilty, was sentenced to 14 days

Quote:
Loughlin, meanwhile, is facing up to a 40-year sentence.

The difference comes down to their plea decisions: Huffman pleaded guilty, while Loughlin pleaded not guilty.

The actresses are also accused of investing vastly different amounts of money in the scheme: $15,000 for Huffman and $500,000 for Loughlin.

Quote:
Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, are accused of paying Singer $500,000 to guarantee their daughters, Isabella and Olivia, admission to the University of Southern California.

The affidavit said Giannulli and Loughlin used bribes to facilitate Isabella's admission to USC by having her pose as a recruited crew coxswain, though she had never participated in the sport. As part of the scheme, Giannulli sent Singer a photo of Isabella on a rowing machine, the court document said.

Giannulli and Loughlin repeated the scheme for Olivia, the court document said.

Loughlin and Giannulli were charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest-services mail fraud, and they were among several parents later charged with conspiracy to commit money laundering.

While Huffman pleaded guilty, Loughlin and Giannulli have pleaded not guilty and now face up to 20 years in prison for each charge, for a maximum sentence of 40 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/heres-why-lori-loughlin-is-facing-up-to-40-years-in-prison-in-the-college-admissions-scandal-while-felicity-huffman-who-pleaded-guilty-was-sentenced-to-14-days/ar-BBW2vZd?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 09/30/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Desperate Housewives Co-Star Weighs In

PostPosted: 10/25/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lori Loughlin's husband emailed accountant, 'I had to work the system,' new indictment alleges

Quote:
BOSTON – Fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, husband of actress Lori Loughlin, told his accountant that he had to "work the system" to get his older daughter accepted into the University of Southern California, prosecutors alleged in a new indictment this week bringing additional bribery charges against the celebrity couple.

Giannulli made the comment in an April 2017 email in which he forwarded a $200,000 invoice passed along to them by Rick Singer, the mastermind of a nationwide admissions scheme, according to prosecutors. The invoice, which thanked the couple for their pledge to Singer's nonprofit, notified them that their "private contribution" of $200,000 was now due.

Quote:
That also includes an August 2016 email from Singer to Giannulli and Loughlin in which Singer asked for their older daughter's transcript, test scores and to get her pictured on a rowing machine in workout clothes "like a real athlete." Singer sought to use the photo to create a fabricated coxswain portfolio for her.

"Fantastic," Giannulli replied back. "Will get all."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/lori-loughlins-husband-emailed-accountant-i-had-to-work-the-system-new-indictment-alleges/ar-AAJhTx0?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 10/25/19 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Felicity Huffman Released From Prison Before End of 14-Day Sentence

Quote:
The actress was sentenced to 14 days after she pleaded guilty in the nationwide college admission cheating scandal. The actress was sentenced to the short stint in September, as she was among the first parents ensnared in FBI dubbed operation Varsity Blues to plead guilty.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/felicity-huffman-released-from-prison-before-end-of-14-day-sentence/ar-AAJlcrj?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 01/16/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Send me a 50k check": College admissions scam emails released

Quote:
Prosecutors have released emails and call recording logs between Mossimo Giannulli, Lori Loughlin and Rick Singer, the mastermind of the college admissions cheating scandal, shedding new light on the alleged scheme.

Quote:
"The question is, is the government presenting this as a conspiracy where everyone was in on this together in order to defraud someone else," she said. "Or is the government presenting this as Mossimo and Lori trying to defraud USC? That's the question — and that's the question the government really hasn't answered yet."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/send-me-a-50k-check-college-admissions-scam-emails-released/ar-BBZ1etX?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 05/21/20 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BREAKING NEWS: Lori Loughlin will serve two months and her husband Mossimo Giannulli will serve five months in prison after changing their pleas to GUILTY in college admissions scandal

Quote:
The Justice Department on Thursday announced they had changed their plea to guilty on a range of conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud.

As part of their plea deal, Lori will serve two months in prison and pay $150,000 and Mossimo will serve five months in prison.

Both will plead guilty to a single count of conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years behind bars.

Both had been facing two additional charges - conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery; conspiracy to commit money laundering - that have been dropped.

Had they been convicted on all counts at trial, they could have faced 40 years in prison each.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8344189/Lori-Loughlin-Mossimo-Giannulli-plead-GUILTY-college-admissions-scandal.html

This is complete bullshit. 2020 continues to be a year of tragedy.

PostPosted: 05/21/20 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus H. Jesus.

PostPosted: 05/21/20 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being in prison during this pandemic is not the place to be. I could see them letting her off for non-violent offense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 05/21/20 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully, she'll fall under the care of Bertha, The Large, Matronly Prison Laundress. Cool

PostPosted: 05/21/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's more jail time than I expected

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: