RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/18/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like a second-rate NWSL logo.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/18/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I did look up the Gateway Center to see about Marta access. It looks like you have to start at the airport:

From Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
Via the ATL SkyTrain (automated people mover):
Follow the overhead signs and hallway placards toward the Rental Car Center. Proceed out of the west end of the terminal under the covered walkway. Take the escalator up to the station and board the ATL SkyTrain for the free, short ride to the Gateway Station.

This is very good news, having easily accessible public transportation from north Atlanta to Buckhead to midtown to the airport...and to the arena.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/18/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3,500 is awfully small, though. In general, I like the idea of the W playing in smaller arenas, but 3,500 isn't that much bigger than some high school gyms. Obviously, it will be nicer, but still ...

PostPosted: 10/18/19 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta gets clowned for playing in an arena that’s too big with low attendance that gets brought up in almost every Dream game thread.

They move to a smaller arena to try and resolve that issue but the arena is considered too small.

Laughing

PostPosted: 10/18/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington's only holds 4,200 and that's generally been considered a success. Atlanta have been playing in cavernous arenas for years on end and drawing tumbleweeds; it's time to try the opposite approach.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was really hoping for GSU as they'll have a new arena by 2022 and it's capacity will be higher. Maybe the Dream can move there by 2022. The rebranding does give hope that the Dream owners are here for awhile.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/18/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
3,500 is awfully small, though. In general, I like the idea of the W playing in smaller arenas, but 3,500 isn't that much bigger than some high school gyms. Obviously, it will be nicer, but still ...

The arena will seat 3,500 and expandable up to 5,000 for concerts.

I am curious if there is a way to expand it over 4000 for basketball (adding a SRO area, adding a kids' area, etc.).

Even if capacity is only 3500, if the venue is sold out for every game and tickets go for good prices (good for the organization), Atlanta will be much closer to having a viable franchise than it has been in the previous decade.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 10/18/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can I cop new gear anywhere (caps, tees, etc.), like at 101 Marietta (Dream HQ), or will it have to wait until the season kicks off?

~lw3

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 10/18/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was able to get into the press event at College Park with an invited guest - it was AWESOME! Owners are engaged, the new logo(s) are really cool and the arena is going to be small, but great for this team. Great food (they had samples at the press conference) and everyone there went out of their way to say how amazing the experience will be for fans. Agree with earlier statement - who cares if it is a big or a small arena - us fans need to go to the games. If they start to sell out ALL THE TIME - then you move to a new arena. So how about us going to games, supporting the team that is the only one around, rather than say "that is all they announced?" It is a big deal - new arena and new logo is big. And the logo is cool!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/18/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Yeah it definitely looks more like a soccer logo than a basketball one. Maybe cuz of that square top-curved bottom design with the font, the use of all those lines (I thought the gray ones were supposed to be the shape of a bell, but now I'm thinking they're of an incomplete basketball??), the "Dream" part being so small... heck, it looks more like a soccer logo than Atlanta's actual pro soccer team's logo. Interesting too that they in fact called it a badge - a little too "boy scouts"-esque for me Rolling Eyes But, meh, I've seen worse. The fact that they took out the twinkly stars, despite still keeping one, automatically makes it marginally better than the previous logo imo (better than looking worse, I suppose), and the heavier incorporation of red makes it seem like they really want that Hawks partnership down the line...

Randy

PostPosted: 10/18/19 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Yeah it definitely looks more like a soccer logo than a basketball one. Maybe cuz of that square top-curved bottom design with the font, the use of all those lines (I thought the gray ones were supposed to be the shape of a bell, but now I'm thinking they're of an incomplete basketball??), the "Dream" part being so small... heck, it looks more like a soccer logo than Atlanta's actual pro soccer team's logo. Interesting too that they in fact called it a badge - a little too "boy scouts"-esque for me Rolling Eyes But, meh, I've seen worse. The fact that they took out the twinkly stars, despite still keeping one, automatically makes it marginally better than the previous logo imo (better than looking worse, I suppose), and the heavier incorporation of red makes it seem like they really want that Hawks partnership down the line...

Hawks though want no part of the Dream - they refused to even make an offer on letting them continue in the Hawks arena. As for the logo looking like Soccer team - there seems to be a lot more soccer fans in Atlanta than basketball fans.

They may have gotten lucky in the Hawks pushing them out the door. Gateway seems like the best choice of the available options, and looks pretty nice. McCammish has lousy parking and has already been a failure, GA state's arena is outdated and just as small. One things worth noting is that there are 60,000+ people working at the airport, and many more in the surrounding area. Those people are just a few minutes away from the arena when they get off work.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/18/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Hawks though want no part of the Dream - they refused to even make an offer on letting them continue in the Hawks arena. As for the logo looking like Soccer team - there seems to be a lot more soccer fans in Atlanta than basketball fans.

They may have gotten lucky in the Hawks pushing them out the door. Gateway seems like the best choice of the available options, and looks pretty nice. McCamish has lousy parking and has already been a failure, GA state's arena is outdated and just as small. One things worth noting is that there are 60,000+ people working at the airport, and many more in the surrounding area. Those people are just a few minutes away from the arena when they get off work.

Seems like things are looking up for the Dream, all in all, somewhat like the Liberty Smile Yeah, I didn't realize Atlanta's soccer team had as large a following as it does... until I read this fascinating article from Sports Illustrated about the Braves, Atlanta United FC, and the local socioethnic topography as it relates to the teams.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/18/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta United is in talks for a NWSL team likely to begin in 2021. Wonder if that would hurt the Dream?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/18/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Washington's only holds 4,200 and that's generally been considered a success. Atlanta have been playing in cavernous arenas for years on end and drawing tumbleweeds; it's time to try the opposite approach.

Heck this may be a trend. Dallas started with the 7,000 seated arena and it worked out well . Glad other teams are starting to find more ways to improve revenue costs.

PostPosted: 10/19/19 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Response to Skylar Diggins statement of non-support from her organization

https://twitter.com/angel_35/status/1185516366436208646

Quote:
I know the feeling! And us women will fight for better ! We deserve nothing less 🙏🏾

PostPosted: 10/19/19 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh Angel the liar - had surgery, then did not do what she needed to do; had to have a second surgery; then still didn't rehab to play this season as she was supposed to do; Still has not gone overseas to play, just travels the world living in the past; complained about management, then had to retract it; I am sure she believes things in her head, but the reality there is different than the reality in the real world. Dream paid her a full salary and waited on her to do her part of the job - train and heal. Hey, maybe the Dream wanted to trade her - that is their right - its pro sports, get over it. We have all seen Stewie is almost back - Angel has been 14 months and counting - she wants it all, but does not want to put in the effort. She likes the attention because her star is fading fast. And by the way, her ice cream business sucks. If she opens others she will be bankrupt before she can spell U H - O H H H. We should welcome Skylar to the ATLANTA family as soon as possible!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/19/19 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
Oh Angel the liar - had surgery, then did not do what she needed to do; had to have a second surgery; then still didn't rehab to play this season as she was supposed to do; Still has not gone overseas to play, just travels the world living in the past; complained about management, then had to retract it; I am sure she believes things in her head, but the reality there is different than the reality in the real world. Dream paid her a full salary and waited on her to do her part of the job - train and heal. Hey, maybe the Dream wanted to trade her - that is their right - its pro sports, get over it. We have all seen Stewie is almost back - Angel has been 14 months and counting - she wants it all, but does not want to put in the effort. She likes the attention because her star is fading fast. And by the way, her ice cream business sucks. If she opens others she will be bankrupt before she can spell U H - O H H H. We should welcome Skylar to the ATLANTA family as soon as possible!

#DatTribalism

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 10/21/19 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, Angel, thank YOU!

https://twitter.com/angel_35/status/1186324690324856832

~lw3

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/21/19 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t see any scenario where McCoughtry is playing in Atlanta for 2020.

PostPosted: 10/21/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

short article from Oct 14
https://www.postupzone.com/post/mccoughtry-set-to-explore-free-agency-move

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/21/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:

So, do you think Angel delayed rehab intentionally as a way to get back at the team for looking to trade her in the off-season? Do you think that's why she'd mention exploring free agency? Or is she just ready for a change?

Lots to unpack here it seems like. It will be interesting to see what the Dream look like in 2020. I'd like to think they will make moves to try to be title contenders again since they will be playing in that new arena. I had hoped Angel would be the core of that, but it looks like that is unlikely.

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/21/19 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn’t mind seeing Angel in Minny.

PostPosted: 10/21/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Wouldn’t mind seeing Angel in Minny.

Why? That position is overloaded.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Vegas needs a 3.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry to Vegas, Parker to Chicago & Diggins to Brooklyn!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 6 of 30

Jump to: