Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/19 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's just go for expansion.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/20/19 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last two times we had expansion teams(Chicago Sky in '06 & Atlanta Dream in '08) resulted in contraction the following offseason(Charlotte Sting in '06 & Houston Comets in '08). So I think any expansion options will be put on hold until the league knows all 12 current teams are secure.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 10/21/19 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The last two times we had expansion teams(Chicago Sky in '06 & Atlanta Dream in '0Cool resulted in contraction the following offseason(Charlotte Sting in '06 & Houston Comets in '0Cool. So I think any expansion options will be put on hold until the league knows all 12 current teams are secure.

It does seem like the league is as stable as it's ever been.

Atlanta, the redheaded stepchild, has a new arena deal and the owners appear committed.

Indiana is out of its arena for a couple years but there's been no talk of folding or relocating.

New York has returned from the wilderness.

Folks point at Dallas, but that franchise is in a good location and if indeed is drawing 5,000 a night, is doing fine.

Maybe expansion could be in the works for 2021? I still believe the Warriors would take a team in SF if the circumstances were right, but I don't know of any other prospective owners -- and it would seem adding two teams would make more sense than one, in terms of scheduling, etc. (I won't go down the talent rabbit hole because it's really all about prospective owners ...)

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
toad455 wrote:
The last two times we had expansion teams(Chicago Sky in '06 & Atlanta Dream in '0Cool resulted in contraction the following offseason(Charlotte Sting in '06 & Houston Comets in '0Cool. So I think any expansion options will be put on hold until the league knows all 12 current teams are secure.

It does seem like the league is as stable as it's ever been.

Atlanta, the redheaded stepchild, has a new arena deal and the owners appear committed.

Indiana is out of its arena for a couple years but there's been no talk of folding or relocating.

New York has returned from the wilderness.

Folks point at Dallas, but that franchise is in a good location and if indeed is drawing 5,000 a night, is doing fine.

Maybe expansion could be in the works for 2021? I still believe the Warriors would take a team in SF if the circumstances were right, but I don't know of any other prospective owners -- and it would seem adding two teams would make more sense than one, in terms of scheduling, etc. (I won't go down the talent rabbit hole because it's really all about prospective owners ...)

ClayK,

There is no "if," we are indeed averaging 5,000 a game with a capacity of 7,500 because I'm there to see it with my own eyes each and every night.

I'm always amazed at some of the comments on here that are always including Dallas when it comes to anything negative: ownership, relocation, etc, etc., but I assure you despite what people wish on us, my team isn't going anywhere but up, believe that!!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Maybe expansion could be in the works for 2021? I still believe the Warriors would take a team in SF if the circumstances were right, but I don't know of any other prospective owners -- and it would seem adding two teams would make more sense than one, in terms of scheduling, etc.

But then, until it was announced that teams were heading there, did anyone have any clue that there were owners for teams in Dallas and Las Vegas? The ones that actually happen often seem to come pretty much out of the blue, rather than be the ones with whispered rumours or articles about how a local group is investigating getting a team. Maybe expansion would be a little different, but that's been the case with relocation in recent times.

PostPosted: 10/21/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Maybe expansion could be in the works for 2021? I still believe the Warriors would take a team in SF if the circumstances were right, but I don't know of any other prospective owners -- and it would seem adding two teams would make more sense than one, in terms of scheduling, etc.

But then, until it was announced that teams were heading there, did anyone have any clue that there were owners for teams in Dallas and Las Vegas? The ones that actually happen often seem to come pretty much out of the blue, rather than be the ones with whispered rumours or articles about how a local group is investigating getting a team. Maybe expansion would be a little different, but that's been the case with relocation in recent times.

Aren't the Wings' owners the same owners of the Tulsa Shock? They opted to move the team to Dallas as they felt the women's bball fan base wasn't strong enough in Tulsa.

But the MGM group buying the Stars did come out of the blue as did the Detroit Shock moving to Tulsa. And the Sky & Dream expansion teams both came out of nowhere. There were no reports during the previous WNBA season that either ownership group existed.

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/21/19 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bay Area, Toronto - those have been the rumors.

Personally, would love to see Portland, Cleveland and especially Houston back in the mix.

14 teams doable by 2023? 16 is ideal.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/21/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of [women's] basketball hotbeds that are without teams: Des Moines, Knoxville/Nashville, Louisville & Columbia, SC. And former WNBA cities that did well in their first venture: Houston, Sacramento & Cleveland. Not sure where a WNBA team would play in South Carolina. And clearly 20 teams is too many. But if they were to grow to 16 teams, I'd like to see Houston & Portland return and adding teams in Sacramento/Bay Area & Nashville.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/21/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have always suspected that the only ones who don't want the WNBA to expand are (ironically) the W's Board of Governors...which is actually the other WNBA team owners! Whenever there's expansion, the other teams have to give up at least one of their players for the expansion draft. I'm not sure if the other team's owners/general managers/coaches want to lose a player or two.

Earlier this year, there was talk of potential owners of a Toronto franchise. But when it was reported that the new WNBA commissioner had said that the league had no plans to expand right now. Also, there were concerns about at least one of the two potential Toronto investors' business practices with eSports, such as not paying his employees. In other words, a deadbeat! Surprised

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Toronto thing was fake. They claimed to have everything set get a team for 2020 and now its the offseason and their social media accounts have gone quiet.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/22/19 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we're all just putting out our dream scenario at this point: I want our current 12 teams/cities + Houston, Detroit, and Sacramento regaining their respective legacies + Portland getting another chance. If a team isn't doing well, then it can move to a Toronto/Bay Area/Cleveland/Southeast location.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/22/19 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream scenario with 20 teams:

EAST
New York
Connecticut
Washington
Atlanta
Toronto

CENTRAL
Chicago
Indiana
Cleveland
Nashville
Louisville

MIDWEST
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix
Minnesota
Las Vegas

PACIFIC
Seattle
Portland
Bay Area
Los Angeles
Sacramento

PamelaT

PostPosted: 10/25/19 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Denver is a relatively small city but has managed to support long-standing teams in all four of the traditional major men's sports plus MLS. Maybe there is opportunity there with the city growing like mad and no major women's teams yet...

SDHoops

PostPosted: 10/25/19 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PamelaT wrote:
Denver is a relatively small city but has managed to support long-standing teams in all four of the traditional major men's sports plus MLS. Maybe there is opportunity there with the city growing like mad and no major women's teams yet...

Denver also had one of the best Final Four experiences for WBB, imho. I went to the Colorado State vs. UConn game during the 2004-05 as well and that place was packed. Seems like that would be a good market.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/25/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Denver is such an outdoors-focused city, though, I think getting folx to spend their summer leisure time inside an arena could be a challenge. If the league was in the winter, it would be a different story.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/25/19 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Colorado team from the NWBL drew well for a minor league team.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/25/19 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adam Silver wants a WNBA team in the Bay Area.

https://t.co/eanvw428n8?amp=1

Randy

PostPosted: 10/25/19 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is still hope ClayK.... Smile

tfan

PostPosted: 01/24/20 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

While the Warriors are back in San Francisco, a WNBA team might be on the way down the road. Stay tuned.

I found this article from 2014 when Lacob was ready to buy the Sparks. I remember the "somewhere in the Bay Area" had people talking about the Cow Palace. But it brings up the Knicks feeling that it was more profitable to put the Liberty in Westchester and use MSG for concerts in the summer. So a WNBA team may not play at the new San Francisco arena, even if owned by the Warriors.

Lacob said the Warriors organization is looking to become a year-round basketball operation -- with the NBA team, its successful D-League franchise in nearby Santa Cruz and a WNBA team "somewhere in the Bay Area."

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/10343828/golden-state-warriors-owner-joe-lacob-reiterates-interest-taking-los-angeles-sparks

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/24/20 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
toad455 wrote:

While the Warriors are back in San Francisco, a WNBA team might be on the way down the road. Stay tuned.

I found this article from 2014 when Lacob was ready to buy the Sparks. I remember the "somewhere in the Bay Area" had people talking about the Cow Palace. But it brings up the Knicks feeling that it was more profitable to put the Liberty in Westchester and use MSG for concerts in the summer. So a WNBA team may not play at the new San Francisco arena, even if owned by the Warriors.

Lacob said the Warriors organization is looking to become a year-round basketball operation -- with the NBA team, its successful D-League franchise in nearby Santa Cruz and a WNBA team "somewhere in the Bay Area."

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/10343828/golden-state-warriors-owner-joe-lacob-reiterates-interest-taking-los-angeles-sparks

This is very unnecessary.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
toad455

PostPosted: 01/24/20 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
toad455 wrote:

reposting a 6-year-old article... Come on! If Lacob really wanted a WNBA team it would have happened already. All he has to do is ask and he'd get one.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/24/20 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
reposting a 6-year-old article... Come on!

Come on, now, get it right: they bumped a thread that's been dormant for three months, to re-post a 6 year-old article.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
jmvcity

PostPosted: 01/25/20 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The San Francisco Fog

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/25/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lacobs are/were talking out of their ass. The perfect time to get into the WNBA was 2010 when they should have purchased the Monarchs and brought them to Oakland.

Golden State Monarchs would have been nice but that's all shoulda,woulda, coulda.

Still such a missed opportunity to not bring the WNBA to the Bay Area at launch when women's bball was very popular in the 1990s specifically in that region.

I defer to Clay on all things Bay Area WNBA but I do have a good contact at th Warriors and I've not heard this is a serious proposition now.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/25/20 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
The Lacobs are/were talking out of their ass. The perfect time to get into the WNBA was 2010 when they should have purchased the Monarchs and brought them to Oakland.

Golden State Monarchs would have been nice but that's all shoulda,woulda, coulda.

Still such a missed opportunity to not bring the WNBA to the Bay Area at launch when women's bball was very popular in the 1990s specifically in that region.

I defer to Clay on all things Bay Area WNBA but I do have a good contact at th Warriors and I've not heard this is a serious proposition now.

Chris Cohan owned the Warriors at that time, and he was an unlikable idiot. The Monarchs shut down in 2007, as I recall.

As for the future, we'll see how busy the Chase Center is after the new-car smell evaporates. There are three big arenas competing for events, and the Chase Center is the hardest to get to.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: