RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Do You Support Coring?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like the WNBA's coring concept?
No. I wish the WNBA didn't have it at all.
47%
 47%  [ 19 ]
I'd like it or like it more if significant changes were made to it.
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
Yes. I think it needs very little change, if any.
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 40

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/19/19 11:51 pm    ::: Do You Support Coring? Reply Reply with quote

Just kinda curious on what people think, as we near the expiration of the current CBA. In any sort of capacity - how it is now, a revised format of it, etc. - do you support the concept of the core designation?

For those unfamiliar with the W's core designation, a player can be cored a maximum of four times in their career. The team that cores them, which can only be the previous team that they finished their most recent contract on, receives exclusive negotiating rights. Only players that would otherwise go on to be free agents (generally of the unrestricted variety) can receive this designation.

For comparison, the NFL has this similar concept in "Franchise Tags." It remains to be seen if the NBA will ever have something like this; if you google "NBA franchise tags" there are articles and message-board discussions that consider and/or disavow it.

Swish Appeal had some discourse on it once before the 2014 season (was that when the W last needed a new CBA?) for those of you that want to read about opinions from others.

If anyone has more to add on the specifics/nuances of coring, by all means! Also, particularly if you think the concept needs significant changes, share your thoughts!

(No end date set for this poll)

Last edited by Stormeo on 10/20/19 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally I like having it but would probably:
a) limit it to 3 years, and
b) increase the compensation for it. (how much is another question)

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/20/19 9:13 am    ::: Re: Do You Support Coring? Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Only players that would otherwise go on to be Unrestricted Free Agents can receive this designation.

Just for the sake of accuracy, that's not actually true. It can also be applied to restricted free agents, it's just that as they're already restricted, it very rarely is. I have some long-distant memory of it hapening once, and going "what the hell?" at the time. I think that was probably before the teams really understood the rule, but that option is still in the CBA.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hate it. Always hated it.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:35 am    ::: Re: Do You Support Coring? Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Only players that would otherwise go on to be Unrestricted Free Agents can receive this designation.

Just for the sake of accuracy, that's not actually true. It can also be applied to restricted free agents, it's just that as they're already restricted, it very rarely is. I have some long-distant memory of it hapening once, and going "what the hell?" at the time. I think that was probably before the teams really understood the rule, but that option is still in the CBA.

Noted! I re-worded it above, hopefully it's correct now. Someone can let me know if it still isn't lol. Boy, was coring that hard to understand that a GM would actually be foolish enough to core a RFA? Laughing

As for my thoughts, I like Myrtle's 3-year idea. But more importantly, I think after a player has spent a certain amount of service years in this league (say, 9 or 10), they automatically should no longer be eligible to be cored. At that point, they're probably in their 30s and have a limited number of years left, so they should be free to either championship chase or go back home to a hometown team or what have you. Jmo.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted no.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smaller market teams need this so I’d expect the bigger city fans to vote yes while smaller market (Dallas,Conn) ect vote no. Remove coring and give the smaller market teams more cap than the larger markets then we have a deal! Crying or Very sad Laughing

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 10/20/19 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
UK1996

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m against if for the simple reason that I feel players should be able to choose their path once they have fulfilled their contracts. I think cored players demanding a trade are also made to look like the bad guy even more than if they just left.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voted no. The players have figured ways around it even when cored to be able to get where they want, so it feels useless now anyways. If organizations want to keep their talent, then they should figure out ways to entice them to stay or make them feel welcome/wanted.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I’d expect the bigger city fans to vote no while smaller market (Dallas,Conn) ect vote no.

Just to clarify - you meant you'd expect the smaller-market fans to vote yes?

Also, your cap idea is interesting... and makes me wonder, will we see any changes to the salary cap itself? Do teams that make a profit, or even just more money, deserve a bigger salary cap? Should it stay the same for all teams across the board? I wonder what the players think about that specific dynamic as it relates to compensation.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
I’d expect the bigger city fans to vote no while smaller market (Dallas,Conn) ect vote no.

Just to clarify - you meant you'd expect the smaller-market fans to vote yes?

Also, your cap idea is interesting... and makes me wonder, will we see any changes to the salary cap itself? Do teams that make a profit, or even just more money, deserve a bigger salary cap? Should it stay the same for all teams across the board? I wonder what the players think about that specific dynamic as it relates to compensation.

Yes sorry auto correct is my enemy. Yes to bigger market fans and no to smaller markets. Make it even and give smaller markets more cap space to pay more.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am against coring.

I also think the periods to RFA and UFA should be shorter.

I would do 3 year rookie contracts and 3 yearRFA that is basically a 6 year commitment to the team that drafted you if after 6 years a player wants to go somewhere else they should be able to.

Maybe offer the original team the ability to offer 10 percent above max without it counting against the cap, if that is not enough to convince a player to stay then so be it.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/20/19 1:38 pm    ::: Re: Do You Support Coring? Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely not.

As I've said before, I am not a "team" fan. I support players over teams. So I am vehemently against anything that gives teams more power over players.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/20/19 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Voted no. The players have figured ways around it even when cored to be able to get where they want, so it feels useless now anyways. If organizations want to keep their talent, then they should figure out ways to entice them to stay or make them feel welcome/wanted.

The problem is that this league gives teams very few ways to entice anyone to stay. Obviously you hope that you treat them right and develop a relationship that would make them want to stick around, but you can't really offer them much that any other team can't. And I think there's still a belief that keeping a core together is good for building your fanbase, even beyond the old stuff about wanting to control your players and keep your assets.

So if they dump coring, or restrict it a lot more than in the past, they probably have to bring in some increased alternative methods to keep players around. And without workarounds. Don't let players demand the big salary that a new clause could let you re-sign for, only to then demand to play for that salary somewhere else.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The problem is that this league gives teams very few ways to entice anyone to stay. Obviously you hope that you treat them right and develop a relationship that would make them want to stick around, but you can't really offer them much that any other team can't.

On a somewhat related subject, there was something made of the fact that Tolliver is getting lowballed as an assistant coach with the Wizards, because something about how the CBA is worded prevents them from paying her any more, but what if she were coaching for a different team, one that doesn't own the WNBA squad that she plays for?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: