RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/18/19 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About 100 protesters at Barclays Center wear "Stand With Hong Kong" shirts. (See photo.) Also nine with shirts saying "Free Tibet."

https://nypost.com/2019/10/18/protesters-at-barlcays-center-wear-we-stand-with-hong-kong-shirts/

pilight

PostPosted: 10/19/19 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Katie Smith Out, New York Liberty Seek ‘Family Atmosphere’ As They Begin Coaching Search

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendonkleen/2019/10/18/katie-smith-out-new-york-liberty-coaching-search-jonathan-kolb/#1af17b6b6ea5

Quote:
“Since ownership has come aboard, they’ve created a real family atmosphere amongst everybody, and I think that’s what we’re trying to instill culturally in our team,” Kolb said.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
With Katie Smith Out, New York Liberty Seek ‘Family Atmosphere’ As They Begin Coaching Search

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendonkleen/2019/10/18/katie-smith-out-new-york-liberty-coaching-search-jonathan-kolb/#1af17b6b6ea5

Quote:
“Since ownership has come aboard, they’ve created a real family atmosphere amongst everybody, and I think that’s what we’re trying to instill culturally in our team,” Kolb said.

Exactly what is a "family atmosphere" in their minds because that remark could be interpreted a couple of different ways.
Randy

PostPosted: 10/20/19 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Exactly what is a "family atmosphere" in their minds because that remark could be interpreted a couple of different ways.

Yeah - what's the deal - didn't Katie share their "family values"?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/20/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Yeah - what's the deal - didn't Katie share their "family values"?

Seriously, what is this - a college program? Where every program & their mother seem to claim the importance of “family values”? This is the pros. I hate when the pros try to claim this particularly cuz this sh!t is a business. Players aren’t there necessarily to grow as a person & bond with your teammates. Number 1 priority for all involved is to get paid & WIN!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/20/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Seriously, what is this - a college program? Where every program & their mother seem to claim the importance of “family values”? This is the pros. I hate when the pros try to claim this particularly cuz this sh!t is a business. Players aren’t there necessarily to grow as a person & bond with your teammates. Number 1 priority for all involved is to get paid & WIN!

It's hype for fans. Yes, it can be valuable if there's a good feeling among teammates and among teammates and others in the organization. But we all know of examples of winning teams where some players hated each other, where there were definite cliques, etc.

Ever watch an actor on a TV series get interviewed? Virtually every one, on any nighttime or daytime series, says of the cast "We're all a family!" It's hilarious b.s. Except that in some cases the cast may be like a dysfunctional family. Smile

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/20/19 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

It's hype for fans. Yes, it can be valuable if there's a good feeling among teammates and among teammates and others in the organization. But we all know of examples of winning teams where some players hated each other, where there were definite cliques, etc.

Ever watch an actor on a TV series get interviewed? Virtually every one, on any nighttime or daytime series, says of the cast "We're all a family!" It's hilarious b.s. Except that in some cases the cast may be like a dysfunctional family. Smile

I can understand actors saying that more so than athletes, though. They’re under a lot less pressure from a results standpoint - I’d argue the writers are the ones under pressure - and too I’d argue a basketball season is a lot more emotionally dynamic than like a tv show season. More of a capacity to be an easygoing environment than a sports team, so I’m personally more inclined to believe actors that say their set is like a family than a professional athlete. As you said though, some actors are definitely lying about their circumstances to avoid public drama Laughing

I personally don’t care if the players on my teams like or hate each other. I’d prefer they like each other, but it’s not a dealbreaker. So long as they perform well, haven’t committed violence on anyone, and avoid doping, I’m good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A team by its nature functions better when people actually like each other. You can't always make it so, but you can see attempts within every organization to at least reduce outright dis-like which can totally disrupt team chemistry. Team chemistry is a real thing and makes a difference in the W-L column.

- Amanda Gorman
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/20/19 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"family values" sounds like a "dog whistle"
and I don't like it !
SMH Rolling Eyes

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/20/19 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be fair, he said 'family atmosphere', not 'family values', which is a significantly less loaded phrase. A lot of teams talk about how important unity and 'playing for each other' and all that stuff is. Hell the Mystics just won a title and went on about how much they were 'playing for the person next to you' and felt like a family at length in their post-championship interviews. Plus Dolan always felt like the distant master on high, so Kolb may have just been comparing the current state to that. I wasn't too impressed by some of the other quotes just from a basketball management perspective, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on any potential secondary meanings from that line.

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever the wording in the interview or any other public statements by Jonathan Kolb, he's one-for-one in my book. He fired Katie Smith. Let's hope that when a new coach is announced Kolb will be two-for-two.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Whatever the wording in the interview or any other public statements by Jonathan Kolb, he's one-for-one in my book. He fired Katie Smith. Let's hope that when a new coach is announced Kolb will be two-for-two.

Teams 3-3 in my book

Inoescu

Barclays

Fired Katie

Im watching this diggins situation closely...not as an FA im not thrilled by her for ball and position reasons but if AGLER either takes the fall...walks out or otherwise looks elsewhere if grab in a split second!!!!

PostPosted: 10/21/19 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People beginning to view Agler as a mercenary. Makes me think of the old TV western: Have Gun, Will Travel. Smile

PostPosted: 10/21/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
People beginning to view Agler as a mercenary. Makes me think of the old TV western: Have Gun, Will Travel. Smile

Great show, great work by Richard Boone as Paladin, great theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/21/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Great show, great work by Richard Boone as Paladin, great theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s

Yes it was a good show and song, thanks for posting ...

I would not mind having Agler as our Coach next year !

Randy

PostPosted: 10/21/19 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry - but Agler always makes me think of Don Knotts, not Richard Boone.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/21/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

I would not mind having Agler as our Coach next year !

If Agler had a choice between New York and Indiana, I would think he’d chose Indy because:
1. They have a more promising roster imo.
2. The GM position is supposedly included. Has he ever been the GM?
3. His home base is neighboring Ohio.

But as I pointed out before, Indy has always had women in charge as far as I can remember. Would Catch break the girl’s code and let a man take over?

Interesting enough, Katie Smith also comes from Ohio, but I’m not sure she still considers Ohio home.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/21/19 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 10/21/19 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see no evidence to suggest that Agler is going anywhere. That said, when the music stops Agler will always have a chair.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/21/19 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think next season playing at Barclay Center, having the first pick in
the draft, and having some good young players already, the Liberty will
be able to attract free agents and good coaches . We could not
do that at WCC

toad455

PostPosted: 10/22/19 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
I think next season playing at Barclay Center, having the first pick in
the draft, and having some good young players already, the Liberty will
be able to attract free agents and good coaches . We could not
do that at WCC

Opposing teams voiced their displeasure in playing at WCC. Cheryl Reeve was quoted in saying how poor the conditions were there. Locker rooms on the fourth floor. No elevators. A long commute from their hotel & airport. I'm not surprised we didn't get any free agents this past season. Now looking ahead, the Barclays is one of the top basketball arenas in the country and adding the #1 pick should entice a free agent or two to come play in Brooklyn.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SDHoops

PostPosted: 10/22/19 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll voice my minute opinion once again. I think Tina should go to another team. The Libs are getting younger..Tina has some years left in her, but not many. She could still be an all star and have an impact like say...Fowles was this past year for the Lynx. If she stays then I hope the fans fully back her.....!

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/23/19 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I've said it before and I'll voice my minute opinion once again. I think Tina should go to another team. The Libs are getting younger..Tina has some years left in her, but not many. She could still be an all star and have an impact like say...Fowles was this past year for the Lynx.

It's pretty much Tina's decision if she stays or goes. I'm sure if Charles wanted to force a trade, she could.

SDHoops wrote:
If she stays then I hope the fans fully back her.....!

What does that mean? It's not like Tina gets booed at home games. I don't follow social media that much, but as far as I know she hasn't been heavily criticized on Facebook or Twitter. And based on the press coverage for Charles, you'd think nothing has changed. Tina still gets the star treatment as far as I can tell.

If you're referring to comments on Rebkell, well, we're a discussion board. People truthfully pointed out that Charles had a lot of bad games this past season. It's not like we did it with malicious intent. In fact, most of us felt bad about having to report her decline in performance. But if we're assessing what's wrong with the Liberty, then we have to be honest. There were times Charles hurt the team more than she helped. That's a problem that has to be addressed. For the most part, people suggested adjustments to the offensive system or that Charles be given a modified role. No one advocated benching her or getting rid of Tina. If the only way to "back" Charles is to lie or pretend there is no problem, then sorry, I guess we're not going to back Tina. But does it even matter? I've seen no indication that Charles reads Rebkell.

PostPosted: 10/23/19 4:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles ain't switching teams anytime soon, as even throughout the Westchester mess it seems she really takes pride in playing for her native New York team - even if she may never get a 'ship out of it by not moving. Still, it'd be smart of her to use up all her core years (should coring still exist by next season) to keep her own options open. The next 2-3 years should be enough time to see where this next Liberty era goes anyway.

As for her career, I think she'll age gracefully so long as she's not the #1, 2, & 3 option like she had been in 2019. She doesn't have to start transforming into a low-usage player per se. But, the new coach must get her out of the mindset that she has to create whenever she touches the ball in/around the post, and into one where she makes decisive passes if she thinks for even a second that the shot/matchup isn't there. And she should have much better help both with getting efficient shots and finding someone to pass to once Ionescu is drafted. Just as well, the new coach will have to figure out which post player best fits alongside her in the starting lineup - if that player's even on the roster right now.

Last edited by Stormeo on 10/23/19 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/23/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The implication that Liberty fans don't fully back Tina Charles is ridiculous. Everything that root_thing has written above is right on the mark. I also agree with what Stormeo has said.

And I highly doubt that Tina Charles will leave New York.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/23/19 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
"family values" sounds like a "dog whistle"
and I don't like it !
SMH Rolling Eyes

Wait-

Every single athlete refers to teammates as "my brother" or "my sister" and the word family is thrown around CONSTANTLY in sports now. Why is this bad? Maybe the players were distant from the Katie and there needs to be a closeness for success to be achieved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 16 of 111

Jump to: