Dallas Wings 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/19/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

For whatever reason, I notice alot of fans in other cities seem to have a "personal" issue with my city in general when a particular "player or players" wish to leave for a different organization for whatever reason or another.

I don't sense the negativity has anything to do with the city of Dallas. I think the skepticism is directed toward the Wings organization. The only team where the location is regularly questioned by fans is the Connecticut Sun. People view Uncasville as being in the middle of nowhere.

As for NY trading the #1 pick, forget it. Contrary to what many posters on this board think, most of the basketball world seems to view Ionescu as a sure thing. That being the case, it makes no sense to trade a 23-year-old star for one who is 30. Jonathan Kolb, being an analytics guy, would certainly take that into consideration. Besides, the only one trading SDS to NY right now is Alan Barcoff. Consider the source.

I based that on reading MANY comments under other topics on the board which don't always make it to the "Dallas" thread specifically.

Is that many comments by many posters or a lot of comments by one or two people? There's one poster who makes a lot of negative remarks about cities that struggle with attendance. However, high volume from one person doesn't make it representative of the whole board. I often see people generalize that Liberty fans want this or that, but it never reflects what I'm thinking. Usually, it's based on what a couple of posters said, ignoring the fact that there are roughly 15 active Liberty fans on this board.

PostPosted: 10/19/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Thank you....FINALLY, a rational and open-minded observer! If Skylar wants out of Dallas, by all means, tear yo ass boo!!!

Every time I read remarks like this, I feel validated by my decision to stop rooting for teams in sports. Dat Tribalism is something else...

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/19/19 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="root_thing"]
DFWub2018 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

For whatever reason, I notice alot of fans in other cities seem to have a "personal" issue with my city in general when a particular "player or players" wish to leave for a different organization for whatever reason or another.

I don't sense the negativity has anything to do with the city of Dallas. I think the skepticism is directed toward the Wings organization. The only team where the location is regularly questioned by fans is the Connecticut Sun. People view Uncasville as being in the middle of nowhere.

As for NY trading the #1 pick, forget it. Contrary to what many posters on this board think, most of the basketball world seems to view Ionescu as a sure thing. That being the case, it makes no sense to trade a 23-year-old star for one who is 30. Jonathan Kolb, being an analytics guy, would certainly take that into consideration. Besides, the only one trading SDS to NY right now is Alan Barcoff. Consider the source.[/qu

I based that on reading MANY comments under other topics on the board which don't always make it to the "Dallas" thread specifically.

Is that many comments by many posters or a lot of comments by one or two people? There's one poster who makes a lot of negative remarks about cities that struggle with attendance. However, high volume from one person doesn't make it representative of the whole board. I often see people generalize that Liberty fans want this or that, but it never reflects what I'm thinking. Usually, it's based on what a couple of posters said, ignoring the fact that there are roughly 15 active Liberty fans on this board.
ktr

I can't remember how many exactly, however, I do know it's more than one or two people! Either way, it doesn't matter at the end of the day, if some people hate this city or continue to wish for us to lose our WNBA team to another city...tell me you haven't read those comments before; that's their problem, not ours!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/19/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Thank you....FINALLY, a rational and open-minded observer! If Skylar wants out of Dallas, by all means, tear yo ass boo!!!

Every time I read remarks like this, I feel validated by my decision to stop rooting for teams in sports. Dat Tribalism is something else...

You're taking it the wrong way, it's just that every time one of our athletes seem unhappy, getting feelings hurt about something, etc, etc, whatever the case may be, I get so tired of people assuming the city or the organization is not doing what it should do or that they simply don't care, then all the "leave Dallas," "the Wings organization ain't this or that," " come to my city because it's a better place," yada..yada...yada, shit gets old man!!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/19/19 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA09,

Can you believe this bs!!!

toad455 wrote:
Dallas can be a candidate for relocating. Only made the playoffs once since in Dallas. If Diggins wants out, it could be one of those franchises that no one wants to play for. Their attendance did go up this past season despite being terrible. I think we're okay with Indiana for now since they announced their alternative venue for the next two seasons. Gotta see where they stand come 2022 once they're back at the Fieldhouse.

Comments like this boggles my mind, trying to comprehend them or make sense of it....I swear!!!

Toad has prayed on our demise since day 1, disregard him we’re not going anywhere with or without Skylar. Once again I stated the whole she wants out was being overblown as her frustration is with the league of course not the team. Toad feeling more vocal since his team finally got out of that shelter. .

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 10/19/19 6:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/19/19 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, uhh... does the mutual unfollowing between the IGs of Skylar & the Wings not mean anything?
Also, idk who would be advocating for this Wings team to relocate Question They seem to have a good arena setup and a decent & growing fan base/attendance. If Skylar does want out, hopefully they get a good deal for her in return & both parties can begin to flourish. On that note, hopefully her mental health too isn’t in a bad place. Twitter rants, I’ve learned circa Nov. 2016, may not be indicative of good mental health though Confused

Quietstorm1124

PostPosted: 10/19/19 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27882225/skylar-diggins-smith-says-played-2018-pregnant-expresses-lack-team-support

PostPosted: 10/19/19 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone should just calm down.

Many people have said it already -- this is professional sports and every athlete thinks they have a pedestal to posterize on. Management does not have that, nor will they ever, nor will they comment. So really, hearing HER STORY, will never really be substantiated when the franchise truly can't comment. Commenting would truly be death for the franchise as other players would not trust them.

Bibb seems like a very honest and straight forward guy. He cant comment on HIPPA issues and mental health; He did say he paid her a FULL salary versus half. The teams cant walk the athletes to the doctors and hold their hands during appointments. In college, yes. In pro sports - grow up.

All that said, send her to ATL!

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/19/19 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Women's Basketball 247 reported that Skylar is a UFA, I believe. Is that accurate?

EDIT: I thought she had posted the part about the UFA, but either I am wrong or it was taken down. I don't see it now.

PostPosted: 10/19/19 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Women's Basketball 247 reported that Skylar is a UFA, I believe. Is that accurate?

EDIT: I thought she had posted the part about the UFA, but either I am wrong or it was taken down. I don't see it now.

According to the ESPNW article, linked a couple posts back (the fact that this article even exists raises the seriousness of whatever this situation is, to me), that is accurate. Which means, if the next CBA gets rid of coring, she would be free to just sign with another team.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh ok. I saw it on WNBA Fans' Nation, not Women's Basketball 247.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA09,

Can you believe this bs!!!

toad455 wrote:
Dallas can be a candidate for relocating. Only made the playoffs once since in Dallas. If Diggins wants out, it could be one of those franchises that no one wants to play for. Their attendance did go up this past season despite being terrible. I think we're okay with Indiana for now since they announced their alternative venue for the next two seasons. Gotta see where they stand come 2022 once they're back at the Fieldhouse.

Comments like this boggles my mind, trying to comprehend them or make sense of it....I swear!!!

LMAO!!!

Toad has prayed on our demise since day 1, disregard him we’re not going anywhere with or without Skylar. Once again I stated the whole she wants out was being overblown as her frustration is with the league of course not the team. Toad feeling more vocal since his team finally got out of that shelter. .

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/20/19 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So, uhh... does the mutual unfollowing between the IGs of Skylar & the Wings not mean anything?
Also, idk who would be advocating for this Wings team to relocate Question They seem to have a good arena setup and a decent & growing fan base/attendance. If Skylar does want out, hopefully they get a good deal for her in return & both parties can begin to flourish. On that note, hopefully her mental health too isn’t in a bad place. Twitter rants, I’ve learned circa Nov. 2016, may not be indicative of good mental health though Confused

"Decent fan base!" What exactly do we have to do in order to meet the approval of the rest of the WNBA cities to be excepted?

I'm not sure what it is you'll are seeing on your TV, internet or apps that suggest we don't show up for this team, because I'm there live and in person every single night, and we are without question one of the BEST fan bases in this league....it's amazing to me how some of the cities in this league that won championships before, have crowds EQUAL to our "unworthy" franchise, instead of sellouts each night...but everybody has something to say about Dallas, shit is hilarious!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/20/19 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

That is correct, she is an UFA for 2020.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/20/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bibb paid her a full salary while she sat out the entire season and yet this will still end up his fault once she leaves . Loyalty doesn’t exist in Dallas obviously. Lately she’s only played every other season here in dallas anyway so if we need to move on I’m not gon cry Mary J. I’d love to have her , but MoJeff Arike Lauren and whomever are a team I’d like to grow with going forward if I’m Snoopy and Bibb. Skylar is a assett to that group albeit a major all star assett would make this team better sooner without her it’s not the end of the world.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

If the coring rules change with the new CBA, she may be able to play for whatever team she likes.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

If the coring rules change with the new CBA, she may be able to play for whatever team she likes.

It's possible, but for what it's worth I don't think they'll do that. Even in previous CBAs, which generally haven't bothered with much 'transition' between the different sets of rules, there's been a bridge between the previous core situations and the new ones. So even if the new CBA ultimately dumps coring, I'd expect some method of shifting from the current state to the new one - rather than just deleting the concept immediately.

I think the general feeling would be that a team like Dallas was getting too screwed by just changing the rule to any UFA with 6+ years in the league being an immediate true UFA.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But if Skylar makes it clear she doesn't want to play for Dallas, and she's 29, and her level of play is uncertain, why core her?

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Bibb paid her a full salary while she sat out the entire season and yet this will still end up his fault once she leaves . Loyalty doesn’t exist in Dallas obviously. Lately she’s only played every other season here in dallas anyway so if we need to move on I’m not gon cry Mary J. I’d love to have her , but MoJeff Arike Lauren and whomever are a team I’d like to grow with going forward if I’m Snoopy and Bibb. Skylar is a assett to that group albeit a major all star assett would make this team better sooner without her it’s not the end of the world.

I actually like the idea zune69 came up with: Vivian's, Wheeler and the #3 pk from Indiana for Skylar....I'd do it a heartbeat, plus you still have picks#2 &9 in the first round!!!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

"Decent fan base!" What exactly do we have to do in order to meet the approval of the rest of the WNBA cities to be excepted?

Good lord, I didn't mean it to be a backhanded compliment of any sort - chip on the shoulder, I see Laughing Guess I should've said "young" instead or something. While Dallas was one of the teams to somehow bump their attendance numbers from last year, they still were 8th in the league and averaged 5,000 per game. To me, that's "decent", but in a good way! Dallas has only had a team for a few years - never a title contender, at that - and still finds itself above the bottom third instead of in it with rising attendance. They'll probably get to that 7,000 capacity once they enter contending years (which they will, so long as Agler commits to raising that young team imo. The last two teams he coached for got a title!).
I'm gonna put it out there that, including me, more fans than not do want to see Dallas & any other WNBA city succeed, I'm sorry that you've seen otherwise.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
But if Skylar makes it clear she doesn't want to play for Dallas, and she's 29, and her level of play is uncertain, why core her?

Because she's one of the, ooh, 20 most-valuable assets in the league? Why on earth would you let her walk for nothing when you don't have to?

PostPosted: 10/20/19 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
so long as Agler commits to raising that young team imo. The last two teams he coached for got a title!

Those were both teams with established stars and a track record of success. Dallas no record of success and the stars have either gotten out or are looking to get out. Agler has never successfully built up a young team.

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Good lord, I didn't mean it to be a backhanded compliment of any sort - chip on the shoulder, I see Laughing Guess I should've said "young" instead or something. While Dallas was one of the teams to somehow bump their attendance numbers from last year, they still were 8th in the league and averaged 5,000 per game. To me, that's "decent", but in a good way! Dallas has only had a team for a few years - never a title contender, at that - and still finds itself above the bottom third instead of in it with rising attendance. They'll probably get to that 7,000 capacity once they enter contending years (which they will, so long as Agler commits to raising that young team imo. The last two teams he coached for got a title!).
I'm gonna put it out there that, including me, more fans than not do want to see Dallas & any other WNBA city succeed, I'm sorry that you've seen otherwise.

Stormeo,

I promise I'm not trying to argue with you, but you just actually proved my point for me....if we are averaging over 5,000 in an arena with a capacity of 7,500 I'd say that's better than the MAJORITY of the league, most of whom have arenas seating 10,000 or more, but filling up only a fraction of the space, even those with championship banners hanging from the rafters!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

WNBA09,

Help me out, now Stormeo is coming for us too 😎😎😎

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/20/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I actually like the idea zune69 came up with: Vivian's, Wheeler and the #3 pk from Indiana for Skylar....I'd do it a heartbeat, plus you still have picks#2 &9 in the first round!!!

Dfdub were on the same page. #WFFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22

Jump to: