RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ACC-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 08/25/19 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I believe Syracuse has already announced that Mangakahia is sitting out this year to battle cancer.

They have? I live in Syracuse and I haven't heard a thing....

http://dailyorange.com/2019/08/tiana-mangakahia-miss-next-season-amid-battle-breast-cancer/

I wake up every day and watch the local news and I really hope I missed this announcement, because if they didn't report it, I'll be pissed.

A 6th year senior PG in Mangakahia and a junior Emily Engstler is going to be very dangerous in 2021.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/25/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i hope the ACC network shows a shitload of live WCB. Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/16/19 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Media and Coaches preseason picks.
http://theacc.com/news/2019/10/16/louisville-selected-2019-20-acc-womens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

Top three in both polls:

1. Louisville
2. North Carolina State
3. Florida State

All ACC team
https://mobile.twitter.com/accwbb/status/1184530097694490625/photo/1

Mompremier is player of the year.

And the newcomers of the year as predicted by coaches

River Baldwin Florida State
Sam Brunelles Notre Dame
Anaya Peoples Notre Dame
Jakia Turner Brown North Carolina State
Nyah Green Louisville

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/16/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Q feels the Quse omission in top 10 preseason polls a sign of disrespect.

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2019/10/coach-irked-by-lowered-expectations-for-syracuse-womens-basketball-its-insulting.html

Kiana Lewis readies to take over the Quse drivers seat.

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2019/10/kiara-lewis-takes-over-show-for-syracuse-womens-basketball-im-ready-for-it.html?outputType=amp

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/16/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want to see if Amanda Butler can continue her improvements at Clemson. I know some key players graduated but I believe some of her former Gator players are now eligible after transferring.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/16/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get a chuckle that the rest of the ACC thinks this is the year to finally get a chance to knock ND down a peg or two.

We'll see. Maybe they're right.

ND is certainly lacking experience -- an unprecedented lack of experience -- but ND still has better talent and better coaching than any other team in the league. How far will that carry them? Interesting experiment.

BTW, I think they are overlooking Miami too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both ND and Miami in the top 3 at season end.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 10/16/19 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I get a chuckle that the rest of the ACC thinks this is the year to finally get a chance to knock ND down a peg or two.

ND is certainly lacking experience -- an unprecedented lack of experience -- but ND still has better talent and better coaching than any other team in the league. How far will that carry them? Interesting experiment.

BTW, I think they are overlooking Miami too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both ND and Miami in the top 3 at season end.

Although I've grown to dislike Muffet, I still have a certain respect for her and the program to know never to count them out! Plus you are right, they have a very good class coming in and if they gel quickly, they could easily be a Top 25+ team. A "down" year at ND is a banner year for most programs in the country!

ridor

PostPosted: 10/16/19 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I love Virginia Cavaliers, I still monitor the program from afar. I'm in Idaho. I guess I should start cheering for Montana or Utah. LOL. Virginia's schedule is insane. I don't know what Tina was thinking but she's good pals with Tony Bennett who did do the fantastic job for MBB, winning the national championship much to my delight. I must have faith in Tina. But that schedule is ... brutal.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/16/19 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Q feels the Quse omission in top 10 preseason polls a sign of disrespect.

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2019/10/coach-irked-by-lowered-expectations-for-syracuse-womens-basketball-its-insulting.html

Legit complaint or not, it's a good motivator for a team. I'm looking forward to seeing them play in NY next month.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I think you are seriously underestimating the lack of experience and depth (don't forget that).

ND is returning only 257 of the 3454 points they scored last year (that's 7.4%, BTW. Granted, there are two incoming senior transfers as well). There are only 9 scholarship players, and one of those is a player who was upgraded from walk-on status.

Of the 9 scholarship players on the roster, two are freshmen, one is a sophomore who played in only 7 games before injury last year, another played in only 4 games last year (at another team, and didn't play the year before due to injury), and two others missed all of last season due to injury. That's 9 before any injuries have happened.

I know people love to fixate on talent, but experience (both overall playing experience and experience playing together) matter a lot more than many people think. It's why, IMO, that you have more midmajor teams breaking through in Men's Basketball (the more talent teams often have larger turnover, while less talented teams can rely on experience to counter that. Few of the female players leave early for the WNBA).

Keep in mind that even with a team that returned almost everyone from a NC run and 5 starters who had over 1000 career points (and 3 who had over 2,000 career points. If you count Shepard's points from Nebraska, 4 of ND's starters were in the top 9 all time in ND scoring), ND still lost 2 ACC games last year.

There are too many variables to do too much in the way of predictions this year for, but the overall makeup of the team wouldn't be cause to predict the "reload instead of rebuild" type of years ND has recently had. I've been following ND for a very long time (One of the freshmen on this year's team (a walk-on) is the daughter of a player I watched back in the day. Man I feel old... Wink ), and I don't recall anything close to this kind of rebuild. 1997-98 still had Peirck, Henderson, and Ivey coming back. 2001-02 had Haney and Ratay.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/19/19 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good article on Florida states Kia Gillespie and how she matured during her redshirt year after transferring from Maryland.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/2019/10/18/kiah-gillespie-florida-state-fsu-womens-basketball-seminoles-sue-semrau-menace-leader-acc-maryland/3893648002/

She was kicked out of practice as a member of the practice squad for being too intense.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/19/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lea Odom interview Duke.

https://goduke.com/index.aspx?path=wbball

Either this girl or her coach are delusional.

Her ideal position is the three "but I never get to play there, it's always the one or the four".

She's 0-4 from 3 PT land in three years at Duke!

She thinks she'll primarily be pointguard this season, a roll she played last season when Kira Lambert and Mik Boykin were out. And that went sooo well. Last season she was 79 assists to 94 turnovers

I think Duke can make the NCAA tournament if they have Lambert back and at the point. If not, it will be more of the same.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/19/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Lea Odom interview Duke.

https://goduke.com/index.aspx?path=wbball

Either this girl or her coach are delusional.

Her ideal position is the three "but I never get to play there, it's always the one or the four".

She's 0-4 from 3 PT land in three years at Duke!

She thinks she'll primarily be pointguard this season, a roll she played last season when Kira Lambert and Mik Boykin were out. And that went sooo well. Last season she was 79 assists to 94 turnovers

I think Duke can make the NCAA tournament if they have Lambert back and at the point. If not, it will be more of the same.

Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/19 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Aiyeotan’s basketball career is over.
https://virginiasports.com/news/2019/10/26/womens-basketball-open-letter-to-wahoo-nation-from-felicia-aiyeotan.aspx

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/26/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://virginiasports.com/news/2019/10/26/womens-basketball-open-letter-to-wahoo-nation-from-felicia-aiyeotan.aspx

Diagnose with Marfan Syndrome. Best thoughts and prayers going to this young woman.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/26/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Matt5762 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I believe Syracuse has already announced that Mangakahia is sitting out this year to battle cancer.

They have? I live in Syracuse and I haven't heard a thing....

http://dailyorange.com/2019/08/tiana-mangakahia-miss-next-season-amid-battle-breast-cancer/

I wake up every day and watch the local news and I really hope I missed this announcement, because if they didn't report it, I'll be pissed.

A 6th year senior PG in Mangakahia and a junior Emily Engstler is going to be very dangerous in 2021.

Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi is going to be a beast by then as well. And they only lose 1 rotation player after this season. 2021 is looking like a powerhouse.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/26/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Shades wrote:

Diagnose with Marfan Syndrome. Best thoughts and prayers going to this young woman.

How sad for a talented young athlete. I hope she is afforded the opportunity to complete her degree and find fulfillment in a career away from The Game.

PostPosted: 10/26/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's going to stay at school, UVA is going to honor the promise. UVA is not like any school where others would rescind the scholarships or aid for its student-athletes.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/26/19 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
She's going to stay at school, UVA is going to honor the promise. UVA is not like any school where others would rescind the scholarships or aid for its student-athletes.

that's great. Hope she can make the best of a bad situation.

and there are quite a few schools who would in fact continue to honor the scholarship.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/27/19 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ridor wrote:

and there are quite a few schools who would in fact continue to honor the scholarship.

Not to get off topic on this thread, but the only situation I can think of that involved athletes getting their scholarships taken away was the Tricia Stafford-Odom thing at North Carolina Central University in which she purposely cleaned house players-wise once she got there. At least in that case, NCCU tried to step in for those players' sake.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/27/19 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ridor wrote:

Not to get off topic on this thread, but the only situation I can think of that involved athletes getting their scholarships taken away was the Tricia Stafford-Odom thing at North Carolina Central University in which she purposely cleaned house players-wise once she got there. At least in that case, NCCU tried to step in for those players' sake.

Dang. I don't remember hearing that story before. It appears she learned a lot under coach P.... Razz

PostPosted: 11/01/19 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I want to see if Amanda Butler can continue her improvements at Clemson. I know some key players graduated but I believe some of her former Gator players are now eligible after transferring.

Saw where Clemson lost in their exhibition game to Lander 74-72. I know often exhibition games are run like official scrimmages, where the staff will try unique lineup combinations and rotations to see what works and what doesn't. Teams have lost bad in exhibitions and went on to great seasons, and won huge in them, and went on to mediocre seasons.

But I checked out the statbroadcast stats and refused to accept it. their stats aren't typically the most official stats, but they come pretty close most often. But surely there was an error. I went to Clemson's official athletic website, and nope - it was correct:

Lander won the game, but had 29 turnovers for the game. One player had 10 TOs and another had 9. But they won, and I found out how:

Clemson had forty two turnovers. 42. Wow.......they shot at a decent rate (46%), but they took around 20 fewer shot attempts than Lander did, because they just couldn't take care of the ball well enough to give themselves more shot opportunities....

ridor

PostPosted: 11/01/19 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you check Lander, you would know that they're Division II school - and they finished 24-9 including the trip to Sweet Sixteen in NCAA Division II Tournament ... and Lander virtually returns 3 players who led Lander ... one of them scored 30 against Clemson.

So this team is going to be very good in Division II.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/01/19 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke's roster has a Jada, a Jayda, a Jaida, and a Jade

That's got to be confusing

PostPosted: 11/01/19 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Duke's roster has a Jada, a Jayda, a Jaida, and a Jade

That's got to be confusing

Coach P will undoubtedly call them by their NUMBERS, though, right? Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: