RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SAD DAY: elijah cummings dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 10/17/19 5:12 am    ::: SAD DAY: elijah cummings dies Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/us/politics/elijah-cummings-dead.html

PostPosted: 10/17/19 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RIP to a legend.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad

Thank you for your service, Mr. Cummings. Rest well.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/17/19 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/17/19 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/17/19 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/17/19 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

this nearly drove me to create a twitter account just so i could post "fuck you, tripe!" it's clear someone with language comprehension above second grade was called on to write that. and that trump had to hold his nose while he posted it.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

this nearly drove me to create a twitter account just so i could post "fuck you, tripe!" it's clear someone with language comprehension above second grade was called on to write that. and that trump had to hold his nose while he posted it.

That was going to be my post - who wrote this for him?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
justintyme

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Okay, that's unfair. As president it is expected that he say something. If he didn't say anything he would have been rightfully blasted in the media and on Twitter.

Him having someone else write the Tweet is actually the wise move here as he's proven to not be able to be trusted to stay on task and not throw in some garbage with it.

And if I'm Cummings? I'd rather it be the Office of the President recognizing me rather than the person currently occupying it.

For once, Trump did the right thing (probably by passing it off) and made sure he wasn't the story here.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Okay, that's unfair. As president it is expected that he say something. If he didn't say anything he would have been rightfully blasted in the media and on Twitter.

Him having someone else write the Tweet is actually the wise move here as he's proven to not be able to be trusted to stay on task and not throw in some garbage with it.

And if I'm Cummings? I'd rather it be the Office of the President recognizing me rather than the person currently occupying it.

For once, Trump did the right thing (probably by passing it off) and made sure he wasn't the story here.

yeah, i get all that, and i don't disagree (except the part about it being unfair). however, it's not genuine, and there are many ways he/writer could've acknowledged cummings' passing, as would be expected, without the pretend plaudits.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

EVERYONE knows that he didn't write it, so why put it on HIS twitter page?

That's the problem with him having a twitter account. It's hard to separate the OFFICE from the man.

By posting it on his page, he kind of DID become the story.

His twitter statement could have been as simple as "Melania and I wish to pass along our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Cummings. May they find peace and comfort in the coming days."

"Wish to" could even be eliminated if it would make it more realistic.

"Deepest" would be left up to the reader's interpretation. Some (most?) find him to be a pretty shallow person, so....

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
justintyme

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

yeah, i get all that, and i don't disagree (except the part about it being unfair). however, it's not genuine, and there are many ways he/writer could've acknowledged cummings' passing, as would be expected, without the pretend plaudits.

That's what I think is unfair. Knowing the history, is there anything that he really could have written that would have actually felt genuine and at least plausible that could have come from the President himself? The Tweet's author was already straining credulity here.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

That's what I think is unfair. Knowing the history, is there anything that he really could have written that would have actually felt genuine and at least plausible that could have come from the President himself? The Tweet's author was already straining credulity here.

yeah, and ex-ref gave us an example that would've been better than the drivel that was delivered. it could've been even more, shall we say, non-committal, and still served the need to acknowledge his passing.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-ref, his Twitter page is the official page of the POTUS. If he would have used something other than his Twitter account, people would have read into that as well, since everything is done through Twitter.

Look, I think the man is disgusting and beyond unfit for the office, but sometimes it's okay to look at something and say "well, at least he didn't fuck that one up". And while perhaps there was a perfect statement that could have sounded both genuine and heartfelt while still allowing people the suspension of disbelief that he actually wrote it--but I really don't see it. We know too much about Trump's shit personality and how he actually felt about Mr. Cummings from previous comments. Put it this way, when I heard of Mr. Cummings' passing, one of my earliest thoughts drifted to what sort of shitshow of a tweet Mr. Orange would make.

So, yeah, unfair as if this tweet is unacceptable then I don't see one that would have been--and the old "then refuse to play the game" wasn't even an option here as not acknowledging it all would have been a terrible choice. Granted it is an unfairness of his own making due to the reputation he has legitimately cultivated, but unfair nonetheless.

/shrug

PostPosted: 10/17/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

yeah, and ex-ref gave us an example that would've been better than the drivel that was delivered. it could've been even more, shall we say, non-committal, and still served the need to acknowledge his passing.

Honestly both Trump's and the one Ex-ref wrote read similarly to me. Six of one half-dozen of another.

They both follow fairly standard forms.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RIP, sir. A courageous American.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A most remarkable man, who exemplified the nobility of service to his country despite the adversities he faced, along with high standards of honesty and integrity.

PostPosted: 10/24/19 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/24/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/25/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/25/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="606" height="342" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bAdNaeFl5H8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/bAdNaeFl5H8

PostPosted: 10/25/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
<embed><iframe width="606" height="342" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bAdNaeFl5H8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/bAdNaeFl5H8

that's what you get, mofo. don't even try to front.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: