Chicago Sky 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Max salaries should be reserved for the elite players of the league. There is nothing about Dolson's game that is elite. If she believes that she deserves a max contract she can go elsewhere and get it. Chicago should offer her $105,000 dollars, MAX.

That's not how the max salaries in this league work. There is such a narrow range allowed that bench players make max.

And 105k is pretty damn close to it anyway. Might as well go all the way if you're going that far.

I would remind everyone that the CBA runs out in a month. We have no idea what the salary structure might look like next season, what kind of exceptions there might be, or on a basic level how tight they might make the cap in the first season even if the structure's virtually the same. 7 max/virtual-max deals on a roster has certainly been done in the past (and Phoenix had 8 highly-paid vets this season), but we just don't know what'll be possible next year.

Well I will change the structure of my statement. The Sky should prioritize signing N'dor and Copper over Dolson. If they can't afford Dolson then goodbye Dolson. Adios.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be wary of Copper, personally. She may well get the big offer zune69 suggests - after all, Betnijah Laney and Karima Christmas-Kelly both got overpaid last offseason, illustrating how in-demand long wings can be. But she essentially plays the same position and does a lot of the same stuff as DeShields, who's always going to be in front of her in Chicago. And she's spent four years in Chicago, under a bunch of different coaches, producing virtually the same meh numbers throughout.

While it was an impressive performance, last night's Copper game was startling for how unusual it was, more than how great it was. It might make sense for both halves of that equation to part ways.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson seems to be getting very underrated these days

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/16/19 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I would be wary of Copper, personally. She may well get the big offer zune69 suggests - after all, Betnijah Laney and Karima Christmas-Kelly both got overpaid last offseason, illustrating how in-demand long wings can be. But she essentially plays the same position and does a lot of the same stuff as DeShields, who's always going to be in front of her in Chicago. And she's spent four years in Chicago, under a bunch of different coaches, producing virtually the same meh numbers throughout.

While it was an impressive performance, last night's Copper game was startling for how unusual it was, more than how great it was. It might make sense for both halves of that equation to part ways.

Last night she was used for significant minutes at the SG position on the floor beside Diamond. I think we are moving towards larger SGs so I wouldn't discount that.

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/16/19 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Now that the Sky have finally tasted some success and have a good coach, I think it is more likely the players stick together. As for Dolson heading home to NY - maybe, but not everyone wants to live close to home. So do and some don't.

If NY doesn't leave that arena, it'll become the Chicago of old and nobody will want to play there. There will be forced trades left and right. That building is a dump and the only think that should be there is community theater, job fairs, and indoor festivals during the winter months.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/19 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Randy wrote:
Now that the Sky have finally tasted some success and have a good coach, I think it is more likely the players stick together. As for Dolson heading home to NY - maybe, but not everyone wants to live close to home. So do and some don't.

If NY doesn't leave that arena, it'll become the Chicago of old and nobody will want to play there. There will be forced trades left and right. That building is a dump and the only think that should be there is community theater, job fairs, and indoor festivals during the winter months.

If you’re talking about Westchester, it’s good enough for the G League Westchester Knicks. They didn’t get all that fancy lighting and balcony scoreboards for just the Liberty.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/16/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Then maybe Diamond should stop throwing up so many bad shots. Benching the most efficient guard in the league would be extremely shortsighted.

Rolling Eyes

How come Coach Wade didn't call the final play for Chicago's most efficient guard?... He called it for Diamond and DD made the right play... I wish DD would've taken the final shot, but she made the high i.q play by passing the ball to Ndour...Diamond took 20 shot vs LV.....19 of the 20 were quality shots. DD had 3 of her shots blocks and was probably fouled on another 3 or 4 shots. Diamond didn't shoot the ball well but she stayed aggressive and got to the FT line 8 times.............Diamond also had to guard McBride because Quigley couldn't handle the defensive assignment. Diamond was doing such a good job on McBride that Lainbeer had to go big. Hamby scored a couple of buckets on Diamond in the first half but Diamond settled down and did a better job on Hamby in the 2nd half.

I'm not saying that Chicago should definitely move Quigley to the bench. Only that I would consider doing it. Quigley's a great shooter but she can't create offense in pressure situations nor can she guard the more athletic/offensive sg's. Asking Diamond to guard the best scorer, create offense at the end of games, and be the best transition player is a heavy load to carry. I think this is probably why Coach Wade has Diamond standing behind the 3 pt line on so many of possessions. He's trying to get DD some rest.

You keep making all these excuses for Diamond... She's not the player you seem to think she is yet.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/16/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

You keep making all these excuses for Diamond... She's not the player you seem to think she is yet.

Diamond's not the player I want her to be, yet. She still has holes in her game that need to be filled. But she's better than what you're giving her credit for.

greg5222

PostPosted: 09/16/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Diamond's not the player I want her to be, yet. She still has holes in her game that need to be filled. But she's better than what you're giving her credit for.

DD is a heck of a player. Would love her as a Mystic.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

Last edited by greg5222 on 09/16/19 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sloot is not perfect but she is Chicago's best player. She is priority number one for the Sky. Every other free agent signing will come after her. I'm not going to squabble over numbers but Chicago should not over pay players who are not the best in the league at their respective positions.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

DD is a heck of a player. Would love her as a Mystic.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

I second this and insert Wings instead of Mystics here!

PostPosted: 09/17/19 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Maybe Dolson tries to go back to Washington if she isn't cored. Sanders isn't the most punctual of players year in & year out, and Meesseman seems to have settled into her bench role. Plus, why do I remember Meesseman and Dolson being friends and once going to a Katy Perry concert?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/17/19 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Chicago has entered a new reality which has it's own problems to contend with.

On the good side with the new coach and emergence of Deshields as a star (sorry nay sayers Deshields is right there with Sloot as to why this team was in 5th this season as opposed to the lottery) and some decent role players the Sky have now entered decent playoff team level and if the keep Sloot, Quigley, DD and some decent posts and role players they will stay there for a while.

The problem is (and I like all these players) a post rotation of Dolson, Ch. Parker, N'Dour and Lavender just doesn't sound like the post rotation of a serious contender or championship team, maybe if everyone plays to their top potential from players 1-8 that team could get to the finals but it just seems like that front court rotation just needs a little more umph to get to the next level.

So Chicago can stay the course be really good and hope to have that perfect kind of season to go all the way, or Chicago may need to consider a trade to upgrade their post rotation. IMO if they had one post that was better than anyone they have now and kept most of the rest of the team they would be a top team, I am just not sure where that post is coming from and what the price would be.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/17/19 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Maybe Dolson tries to go back to Washington if she isn't cored. Sanders isn't the most punctual of players year in & year out, and Meesseman seems to have settled into her bench role. Plus, why do I remember Meesseman and Dolson being friends and once going to a Katy Perry concert?

Dolson would be a needless luxury in Washington. She would be a big upgrade on Sanders offensively but a huge downgrade on defense. Thibault would have to scrape his current defensive scheme because Dolson simply wouldn't be able to handle it.

I do think it's probably the correct decision to let Dolson go, but it will be a big loss and the team will feel it big time, on and off the floor.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/17/19 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I think Chicago has entered a new reality which has it's own problems to contend with.

On the good side with the new coach and emergence of Deshields as a star (sorry nay sayers Deshields is right there with Sloot as to why this team was in 5th this season as opposed to the lottery) and some decent role players the Sky have now entered decent playoff team level and if the keep Sloot, Quigley, DD and some decent posts and role players they will stay there for a while.

The problem is (and I like all these players) a post rotation of Dolson, Ch. Parker, N'Dour and Lavender just doesn't sound like the post rotation of a serious contender or championship team, maybe if everyone plays to their top potential from players 1-8 that team could get to the finals but it just seems like that front court rotation just needs a little more umph to get to the next level.

So Chicago can stay the course be really good and hope to have that perfect kind of season to go all the way, or Chicago may need to consider a trade to upgrade their post rotation. IMO if they had one post that was better than anyone they have now and kept most of the rest of the team they would be a top team, I am just not sure where that post is coming from and what the price would be.

They need to find the next Howard, an underused player who will break out if given the chance. Ndour might just be that player.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/14/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could Candace Parker accelerate Sky's ascension?

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20191011/could-candace-parker-accelerate-skys-ascension

Quote:
Maybe making a change? Maybe bringing home a familiar face?

PostPosted: 10/14/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Parker a UFA?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/19 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Is Parker a UFA?

No

PostPosted: 10/14/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Could Candace Parker accelerate Sky's ascension?

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20191011/could-candace-parker-accelerate-skys-ascension

Quote:
Maybe making a change? Maybe bringing home a familiar face?

Would be funny if (as "wished for" in the article) if Parker demanded a trade to Chicago. Probably the Sparks would want Diamond but settle for Copper (+FRP, and a few other cheap spare parts).

toad455

PostPosted: 10/14/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker to Chicago for DeShields & their first rounder? Parker's not getting any younger.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/14/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Parker to Chicago for DeShields & their first rounder?

Confused Laughing

PostPosted: 10/14/19 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Parker to Chicago for DeShields & their first rounder? Parker's not getting any younger.

She's 33 with dodgy knees, a burgeoning media career and an undoubtedly limited list of places she'd show up to play. There's no way you give that much up if you're Chicago.

PostPosted: 10/14/19 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Neither is DeShields...

PostPosted: 10/14/19 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Candace was five years younger I would be okay with making a trade for her. But she is 33 and I would not give away Diamond for a player that is a year or two away from retirement. Confused

PostPosted: 10/14/19 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
If Candace was five years younger I would be okay with making a trade for her. But she is 33 and I would not give away Diamond for a player that is a year or two away from retirement. Confused

_______ If i were Chicago I’d make LA throw in “18” as well!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: