RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/10/19 8:52 pm    ::: Connecticut Sun 2020 Reply Reply with quote

The were my preseason pick to win it all... What can they do to get back to the Finals? Question 3-pt shooting would be nice..

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/10/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, somewhat early. Laughing

PostPosted: 10/10/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Damn, somewhat early. Laughing

I need a drink Razz They were my pick! Exclamation

toad455

PostPosted: 10/10/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can they keep their starting 5? They have to improve their bench.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/10/19 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To hell with Connecticut. If they couldn't stop Washington from winning, they're of no use to me; I hope they don't ever win a championship, now. #HateHard

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/10/19 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Can they keep their starting 5?

My question is, should they? Looking at J. Thomas and how she’s just so inconsistent as a shot-maker. And now she’s 30 lol. As long as she’s still starting for the Sun, she’ll never come up clutch in any Finals they get to & prevent them from winning it all imo.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/10/19 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1) Get Stricklen on a diet. 2) They need a good backup who can play the 4 so AT doesn't have to play so many minutes. 3) It wouldn't hurt to have more 3 shooters. 4) The only bench player to keep is Holmes. Tuck and Banham can retire to make way. (or Banham can go to the Lynx to make Shades happy) Not sure about Clarendon. Can she get healthy? If she's healthy will she be any good? B. Jones could also be replaced if they find a good backup post.

so yeah, they need some bench help.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/10/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
1) Get Stricklen on a diet. 2) They need a good backup who can play the 4 so AT doesn't have to play so many minutes. 3) It wouldn't hurt to have more 3 shooters. 4) The only bench player to keep is Holmes. Tuck and Banham can retire to make way. (or Banham can go to the Lynx to make Shades happy) Not sure about Clarendon. Can she get healthy? If she's healthy will she be any good? B. Jones could also be replaced if they find a good backup post.

Damn Myrtle, you’re savage about Strick’s weight & the implied notion about Tuck & Banham retiring Laughing Even if Strick lost weight, I think she is who she is on both sides of the ball. Clarendon should be a free agent next year & unless Miller makes it clear she can compete for the starting PG job, I’m personally skeptical she’d want to return as a bench player. She’s only two years removed from a 10+ PPG 6+ APG season. She was cleared to play in these Finals, but just didn’t. Yeah, they should bring back Hiedeman (if she’s a FA) before Tuck, Banham, or B. Jones for sure.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/11/19 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Damn Myrtle, you’re savage about Strick’s weight & the implied notion about Tuck & Banham retiring Laughing Even if Strick lost weight, I think she is who she is on both sides of the ball. Clarendon should be a free agent next year & unless Miller makes it clear she can compete for the starting PG job, I’m personally skeptical she’d want to return as a bench player. She’s only two years removed from a 10+ PPG 6+ APG season. She was cleared to play in these Finals, but just didn’t. Yeah, they should bring back Hiedeman (if she’s a FA) before Tuck, Banham, or B. Jones for sure.

I'm not saying Strick needs to lose all her extra weight, but if she lost even 15 pounds it should increase mobility and conditioning. She's been a huge part of their success this year. I just think she could be even better. Not 'implying' that Tuck and Banham should go away - rather flat out stating it. Tuck has been slightly better than I thought she'd be but that isn't saying much and she's too undersized to play in the post. Banham has been worse - she's not been able to hit shots, which is what she's paid to do, and she's also wearing too many pounds. Clarendon was a decent PG when healthy but she's never been able to shoot. I think it's becoming harder to contribute a lot for a PG that doesn't shoot well.

I think Connecticut did a great job with the personnel they have. Kudos to the coach and to the players. They came really close to winning it all.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/11/19 5:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun have two first-round picks(#10 & #11). Banham & Plaisance get replaced here. Hiedeman should be a keeper over Clarendon(& cheaper). Tuck probably returns as their flex 3/4 player.
If they can keep their starting 5:

PG: JThomas/Hiedeman
SG: Williams/#10 pick
SF: Stricklen/Holmes
PF: AThomas/Tuck/#11 pick
C: JJones/BJones

Shades

PostPosted: 10/11/19 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guaranteed contract
AThomas
JThomas
Plaisance

Non-guaranteed contract
BJones
Hiedeman
#10 pick
#11 pick

Unrestricted free agent
Clarendon
Stricklen

Restricted free agent
Banham
Holmes
JJones
Tuck
CWilliams

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/11/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun are in a weird position where it's hard to see how they get better. They aren't going to get a high draft pick any time soon. Their players are really maximized in their system, which is better than the sum of the parts, so it's hard to imagine a trade that gets them what they would consider value and actually improves things. It's hard to see how a free agent good enough to improve the team would end up in CT.

This might have been their peak.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/11/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
The Sun are in a weird position where it's hard to see how they get better. They aren't going to get a high draft pick any time soon. Their players are really maximized in their system, which is better than the sum of the parts, so it's hard to imagine a trade that gets them what they would consider value and actually improves things. It's hard to see how a free agent good enough to improve the team would end up in CT.

This might have been their peak.

Good point ... Stricklen is an adequate starter, at best, and she's not going to get better (unless she improves her conditioning significantly) and the bench is non-existent.

So how do you a) find a starting small forward so Stricklen can come off the bench, and b) locate reserves who can give you 15 minutes in the frontcourt without the team collapsing?

The Sun might be able to answer one of those questions, but both is pushing it ...

Last edited by ClayK on 10/11/19 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/11/19 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C. Williams is the starting shooting guard.. Confused

PostPosted: 10/11/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the pretty straightforward alternative perspective to "the bench is non-existent" is "the bench has nowhere to go but up". The thing that happens sometimes when your bench has been a waste of space is that you try out a load of people in camp, and you fall into a Mercedes Russell, or an Erica Wheeler, or a Tierra Ruffin-Pratt. Or you just actually play a Brionna Jones or Kristine Anigwe and eventually find that they're fine as 15mpg backups against the vast majority of the league.

JJones and CWilliams both still have room to improve, and maybe Alyssa Thomas does too if she ever gets surgery to fix those shoulders. There's your potential growth. Keep the core together, fill in around the edges with whatever's available, and go again. This team's still got lots of talent, and unless the new CBA brings huge changes there's no reason that any of the important pieces should be going anywhere.

PostPosted: 10/11/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And the pretty straightforward alternative perspective to "the bench is non-existent" is "the bench has nowhere to go but up". The thing that happens sometimes when your bench has been a waste of space is that you try out a load of people in camp, and you fall into a Mercedes Russell, or an Erica Wheeler, or a Tierra Ruffin-Pratt. Or you just actually play a Brionna Jones or Kristine Anigwe and eventually find that they're fine as 15mpg backups against the vast majority of the league.

JJones and CWilliams both still have room to improve, and maybe Alyssa Thomas does too if she ever gets surgery to fix those shoulders. There's your potential growth. Keep the core together, fill in around the edges with whatever's available, and go again. This team's still got lots of talent, and unless the new CBA brings huge changes there's no reason that any of the important pieces should be going anywhere.

All true ... and I corrected my earlier post to "small forward." Coffee must not have kicked in yet ...

PostPosted: 10/11/19 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham isn't worth bringing back. Tuck probably gets re-signed. Didn't realize Plaisance was under contract. That likely means B. Jones is gone.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/12/19 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Not 'implying' that Tuck and Banham should go away - rather flat out stating it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

myrtle wrote:
Tuck has been slightly better than I thought she'd be but that isn't saying much and she's too undersized to play in the post. Banham has been worse - she's not been able to hit shots, which is what she's paid to do, and she's also wearing too many pounds. Clarendon was a decent PG when healthy but she's never been able to shoot. I think it's becoming harder to contribute a lot for a PG that doesn't shoot well.

I still think they deserve a chance on other teams in totally different (bigger?) roles. Clearly they'll never be the type of lottery-pick players we're used to seeing, but being end-of-bench fodder helps neither them nor the Sun team. Maybe Banham & Tuck both go back to their Lynx & Sky hometown teams, respectively - both would be used more there than in CON imo.

As for Clarendon, I think she deserves another chance as a starting PG; she didn't really do anything in particular to lose that title in Atlanta - just wasn't a fit once Collen came to town. Sun don't need her anymore now that they have Hiedeman who to me looks like she's worth developing. New York would be a particularly interesting place for both parties (then Ionescu who is still more of a SG than PG at least to me wouldn't have to scramble so much to be a PG in the early-goings). Or maybe Minnesota doesn't re-sign D-Rob and wants to try a different veteran presence at PG. Otherwise, LA and Phoenix could use the guard depth... god, I just wanna see everyone in this league find success, I'm such a softy Embarassed

Last edited by Stormeo on 10/12/19 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/12/19 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
god, I just wanna see everyone in this league find success, I'm such a softy Embarassed

I'm with you there. And I would like to see what Clarendon can do...somewhere.

- Amanda Gorman
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 10/12/19 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, the primary thing that the Sun need to do to win it all at this point is develop more mental toughness. The are young and as they experience the playoffs, they are getting better. But their mental toughness is the reason why Phoenix beat them at home two years running in a one game elimination and why they couldn't pull it out against Washington.

Some are born mentally tough (Taurasi) and some need to experience it to have it or it comes and goes, and some never get it.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/12/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Miller thinks Clarendon and Tuck are good enough for Team USA, why wouldn’t he think they’d be good enough for his own team?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/12/19 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Maybe Banham & Tuck both go back to their Lynx & Sky hometown teams, respectively - both would be used more there than in CON imo.

How would Tuck be used more on than Sky?

PostPosted: 10/12/19 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Maybe Banham & Tuck both go back to their Lynx & Sky hometown teams, respectively - both would be used more there than in CON imo.

She can be used to pass out clean towels and Gatorade.

PostPosted: 10/12/19 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

She can be used to pass out clean towels and Gatorade.

Laughing nah, I was thinking she could be that 3/4 player they’re missing (whether they even need one can be up for debate), more so a 4. And she supposedly has a good basketball IQ - Geno really appreciated that back then - so she could be a fit within their offense. I’m sure the Sky or any team would be able to get her for cheap; all I know is, the Sun would be fools to match any sort of contract she signs elsewhere. Not a perfect fit, but imo it’s worth a try(out).

toad455

PostPosted: 10/12/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If Miller thinks Clarendon and Tuck are good enough for Team USA, why wouldn’t he think they’d be good enough for his own team?

Salary cap issues(depending on the new CBA). If Miller wants to keep his starting five, he may be forced to keep Hiedeman over Clarendon & one of his picks over Tuck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: