RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 2019-2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/08/19 12:58 am    ::: Pac-12 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12 WBB Media Day was yesterday! Here are some links as to what went on there as well as other content. Ready for another strong year out of each of these teams (possibly the strongest one yet) Very Happy

THE PRESEASON WBB COACHES POLL

PROSPECTUS (each team's current roster & stats from last year along with a Season Review of last year)

TEAM PRESSERS:

Arizona, featuring Coach Adia Barnes and players Aari McDonald & Tee Tee Starks

Arizona State, featuring Coach Charli Turner Thorne and players Robbi Ryan & Taya Hanson

California, featuring Coach Charmin Smith and players CJ West & Sara Anastasieska

Colorado, featuring Coach JR Payne and players Quinessa Caylao-Do & Mya Hollingshed

Oregon, featuring Coach Kelly Graves and players Sabrina Ionescu & Satou Sabally

Oregon State, featuring Coach Scott Rueck and players Destiny Slocum & Mikayla Pivec

Stanford, featuring Coach Tara VanDerveer and players Kiana Williams & DiJonai Carrington

UCLA, featuring Coach Cori Close and players Japreece Dean & Michaela Onyenwere

USC, featuring Coach Mark Trakh and players Kayla Overbeck & Stephanie Watts

Utah, featuring Coach Lynne Roberts and players Dru Gylten & Kiana Moore

Washington, featuring Coach Jody Wynn and players Amber Melgoza & Missy Peterson

Washington State, featuring Coach Kamie Ethridge and players Borislava Hristova & Chanelle Molina

Having fun doing karaoke and playing "What's in the box?" Laughing

Michelle Smith writes about some storylines from the day

Presser with Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott

Media Day 2019 Photo Gallery

Other content via the Pac 12 WBB Media Day Hub

Pac 12 WBB Home Page

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/08/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks. good info.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/09/19 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The clearest (and most painful) part of this report is just how far the Cal Bears have fallen. In what can only be seen as a total reversal of their meteoric rise in 2005, Cal is now picked 11th. Even more revealing, the two Cal players at Media Day were CJ West (Sr Center who has averaged 4ppg in her first 3 years) and Sara Anastasieska. Sara A. started her college career at UTSA and transferred to Cal in 2016. She has played only 10 games at Cal, scoring 28 points.

Hopefully Charmin Smith can create another turnaround, but this will be a long season at Haas.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/09/19 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The clearest (and most painful) part of this report is just how far the Cal Bears have fallen. In what can only be seen as a total reversal of their meteoric rise in 2005, Cal is now picked 11th. Even more revealing, the two Cal players at Media Day were CJ West (Sr Center who has averaged 4ppg in her first 3 years) and Sara Anastasieska. Sara A. started her college career at UTSA and transferred to Cal in 2016. She has played only 10 games at Cal, scoring 28 points.

Hopefully Charmin Smith can create another turnaround, but this will be a long season at Haas.

Curious about Charmin Smith, I watched all of Cal's presser. I pretty much liked all of what she said and how she said it, particularly wanting people who are "willing" to be present and put in the work. She seems like she'll be a very even-keel presence as a head coach, but as always, the biggest question will be how she develops as a strategist (and) in the x's and o's.

She did mention that Jaelyn Brown was supposed to be there (presumably instead of Anastasieska) but was battling "concussion-like symptoms" and thus couldn't make the trip. Hopefully Brown gets and stays healthy, as she will probably be y'all's go-to player, though CJ West was good in her limited minutes last year and will certainly be the leader in the post. Hopefully Smith gets Chen Yue's 6'7 self in on the rotation. To me, Cal's biggest question will be how much they can get out of their young guard play. Overall, I think Cal will go as far as Charmin Smith herself can take them, as there is still enough talent imo to avoid finishing in 11th or 12th place (fwiw). Though yeah, it wouldn't be surprising to see Cal finish last this year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/09/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One other note about Cal: Charmin Smith had quit to join Katie Smith with the Liberty when Lindsay Gottleib got the job with the Cavs. There's a little disconnect there with "wanting to be present," but I'm sure Charmin is totally committed now.

As far as I can tell, Cal will be a very bad P5 team this year, but you never know. As for the future, so far that have been no earth-shaking commitments, but it's always possible.

Bottom line: With the Pac-12 on the rise, and arguably the best conference in the country, it's not a good time for Cal to be going through a down cycle.

PostPosted: 10/09/19 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm already predicting AZ will present the most improvement in team accomplishments over last season. Anybody heard, is OK transfer Pellington possibly eligible to play?

PostPosted: 10/09/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'm already predicting AZ will present the most improvement in team accomplishments over last season. Anybody heard, is OK transfer Pellington possibly eligible to play?

Watching the Arizona presser, Barnes said 14 of her 15 players are eligible this year with one sitting out. Arizona had two players transfer in this past offseason, with one of those being a grad transfer (Amari Carter from Penn State) and the other being Pellington, so it looks like Pellington is the one player sitting out the year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/10/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With their current roster, Charmin will have to be a magician to get wins in conference. OTOH expectations will be low so she should have time to settle in. The real question is can she/her staff recruit. THat will be crucial for their future.

- Amanda Gorman
insidewinder

PostPosted: 10/12/19 1:26 am    ::: Might be a tough sell Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
With their current roster, Charmin will have to be a magician to get wins in conference. OTOH expectations will be low so she should have time to settle in. The real question is can she/her staff recruit. THat will be crucial for their future.

Seems to me she has a tough sell. Cal underperformed relative to expectation most of the past few seasons. Smith was Associate Head Coach for years so she owns Cal's performance in those years to some degree. Hard to sell recruits that things are brand new and better when you were part of what went on before.

I'm no coach but either Smith had good ideas to help Gottlieb and the team but did not get Gottlieb to buy in to any of them (which would be odd for a long time assistant) or she had no great ideas to help, so why should she now? I realize this is simplistic and being the head coach is much different than being an assistant. Still, this is not exactly a fresh start for the program.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/12/19 2:50 am    ::: Re: might be a tough sell Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
myrtle wrote:
With their current roster, Charmin will have to be a magician to get wins in conference. OTOH expectations will be low so she should have time to settle in. The real question is can she/her staff recruit. That will be crucial for their future.

Seems to me she has a tough sell. Cal underperformed relative to expectation most of the past few seasons. Smith was Associate Head Coach for years so she owns Cal's performance in those years to some degree. Hard to sell recruits that things are brand new and better when you were part of what went on before.

I'm no coach but either Smith had good ideas to help Gottlieb and the team but did not get Gottlieb to buy in to any of them (which would be odd for a long time assistant) or she had no great ideas to help, so why should she now? I realize this is simplistic and being the head coach is much different than being an assistant. Still, this is not exactly a fresh start for the program.

I think recruiting-wise, Smith should be okay; Cal-Berkeley will always be a top, if not the top public university in the country so it'd be an easy sell in that regard. To me, it'll all depend on what her coaching shows to recruits.

On one hand, I think about Smith's previous stop - under another Smith at the professional level. Bill Laimbeer may have coached the team well in his time with the New York Liberty, but he didn't seem to pass much of his learnings off to Katie Smith when he left (that, or she chose not to utilize them). This is an example of an assistant that took over for a good coach and a good program and made it bad.

On the other hand, look at my UW Huskies when Kevin McGuff left an NIT-level program to coach at Ohio State and left the keys to one Mike Neighbors, who like Charmin Smith had also never been a head coach at the college level before. That one coaching change, along with just enough talent (our rotations never really went more than 6- or 7-deep), got us to the Final Four and then the Sweet Sixteen the year after. This is an example of an assistant that took over for a mediocre coach and a mediocre program and made it great. Yeah, he would go on to leave for his alma mater a year later, but if Charmin Smith ever took the reins at Stanford, well, that probably means she will have showed she was worthy of that job by then.

The point is, history doesn't show much evidence of anything concrete; it's all pretty much a crapshoot and I won't make any determinations until I see the coaching. It's possible that Charmin Smith The Assistant isn't the type to make waves in the actual coaching and just sticks to what the coach she operates under tells her to do. It's just as possible she tried and failed to implement what her head coach wanted her to do each of her last two stops', significantly contributing to those programs' shortcomings. Hard to say either way. Like I said though, I do predict her program will still be able to get a Top 50 kid or two every year due to Cal being a desirable place as-is.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/12/19 3:10 pm    ::: Re: might be a tough sell Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I think recruiting-wise, Smith should be okay; Cal-Berkeley will always be a top, if not the top public university in the country so it'd be an easy sell in that regard. To me, it'll all depend on what her coaching shows to recruits.

True. It seems like they used to always get a top recruit or two just from the Bay Area but that hasn't been happening lately. Of course, I also haven't seen, on Hoopgurlz anyway, that the Bay Area has been putting out many top recruits. Stanford has gotten a couple but that means they were academically qualified. But if Cal loses kids to St. Mary's for instance, then that's a problem. Maybe, as Clay has been saying, the best athletes are moving more to volleyball in the Bay Area. Since that's his area of purview I assume he knows about it there.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/13/19 9:25 am    ::: Re: might be a tough sell Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

True. It seems like they used to always get a top recruit or two just from the Bay Area but that hasn't been happening lately. Of course, I also haven't seen, on Hoopgurlz anyway, that the Bay Area has been putting out many top recruits. Stanford has gotten a couple but that means they were academically qualified. But if Cal loses kids to St. Mary's for instance, then that's a problem. Maybe, as Clay has been saying, the best athletes are moving more to volleyball in the Bay Area. Since that's his area of purview I assume he knows about it there.

Though volleyball is an issue, I think it's just as much the nature of the cycles of talent in a particular area. This year, for example, California and Texas are down in terms of individual talent and national level high school teams. That will change over time, of course, but anywhere you look, you see the talent pool shrink and expand from year to year.

PostPosted: 10/13/19 12:29 pm    ::: Re: might be a tough sell Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Though volleyball is an issue, I think it's just as much the nature of the cycles of talent in a particular area. This year, for example, California and Texas are down in terms of individual talent and national level high school teams. That will change over time, of course, but anywhere you look, you see the talent pool shrink and expand from year to year.

It seems the issue is also that USC is suddenly recruiting well the last few years, Stanford has regained footing with recruiting and bringing in the top national (and Bay Area) recruits and the Oregon schools have no problem getting California talent lately, either. It's just a tough time in the Pac 12.

That said, Charmin Smith was the obvious candidate for the Cab job and will need 5 years to get her thing going in Berkeley.

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/13/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While all the pre-mentioned things are factors, the sell that the University of California had in respect to its academic reputation has taken a hit in WCBB. Many of the best players are more interested in a Program that elevates there professional basketball resume rather than their academic degree. Before those women's professional opportunities materialized, the primary focus was using your basketball talent to get a valuable degree. Now it seems to have drifted more into use the university as a means to play professionally somewhere. If a program is seen as inferior, it's academics are less likely to influence a player's decision to commit.

PostPosted: 10/14/19 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
While all the pre-mentioned things are factors, the sell that the University of California had in respect to its academic reputation has taken a hit in WCBB. Many of the best players are more interested in a Program that elevates there professional basketball resume rather than their academic degree. Before those women's professional opportunities materialized, the primary focus was using your basketball talent to get a valuable degree. Now it seems to have drifted more into use the university as a means to play professionally somewhere. If a program is seen as inferior, it's academics are less likely to influence a player's decision to commit.

And athletics is a viable career option for elite athletes, either in coaching or apparel or athletic administration, so getting a B.A. in English, say, from Cal or Duke or Northwestern doesn't really do as much for potential earnings as playing on a top 25 team and getting to the WNBA, or even overseas.

Of course a degree in engineering or a STEM major is a different story, but not many athletes go in that direction, if only because the demands of being a Division I athlete are so great. The employees, er, players can't take certain classes because of practice schedules, and miss lots of time due to travel, limiting their ability to compete academically at top level schools.

PostPosted: 10/14/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The employees, er, players can't take certain classes because of practice schedules, and miss lots of time due to travel, limiting their ability to compete academically at top level schools.

I know little-to-nothing of this, having graduated back in Medieval times, but I'm curious....with all the most modern technology available, and people getting entire degrees 'online', isn't it possible for athletes to stay abreast of even the most challenging classes via the internet?

PostPosted: 10/15/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Of course a degree in engineering or a STEM major is a different story, but not many athletes go in that direction, if only because the demands of being a Division I athlete are so great. The employees, er, players can't take certain classes because of practice schedules, and miss lots of time due to travel, limiting their ability to compete academically at top level schools.

That is not true at all schools. Maybe there are schools that tell players not to major in certain things, but not all do that, which you can see if you look at the majors of athletes in a variety of sports at those places.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/15/19 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen a number of engineering and computer science degrees at multiple P12 schools. I don't know if it is still true, but in my day Human Biology was pre-med and one of the most difficult undergrad majors at Stanford and I see several of the players on the roster currently are majoring in that.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/16/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are always exceptions, but in general scholarship athletes have their academic options limited by practice time and travel. Not to say it can't be done, but the boss, er, head coach definitely wants those who pay her six-figure salary available as much as possible.

PostPosted: 10/16/19 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a good friend who majored in history as an undergraduate. Took zero pre-med courses...instead completed she those requirements with post baccalaureate classes and ended up at Harvard Med. Having a non-science major as an undergrad actually made her a more attractive candidate.

For those students who won’t be playing pro-ball, they have other academic options that could allow them to both play basketball during college, then pursue their career goals. Undergraduate studies offer the opportunity to explore and “learn to learn.” A college major ultimately doesn’t matter that much.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/16/19 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara Lawson was a finance major. Kellie Harper was a math major. Both were on the dean's list all the way through. I don't think playing and traveling affected their studies one bit.

At one time something like 60% of the Lady Vol basketball team was on the dean's list, and it wasn't all "easy" majors by any means.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Kara Lawson was a finance major. Kellie Harper was a math major. Both were on the dean's list all the way through. I don't think playing and traveling affected their studies one bit.

At one time something like 60% of the Lady Vol basketball team was on the dean's list, and it wasn't all "easy" majors by any means.

No question it can be done ...

But I've talked with more than a few scholarship athletes who were told they shouldn't or couldn't take certain classes (afternoon labs, for example) or should avoid certain majors.

It all depends, but the person controlling the one-year scholarships -- with transfer limitations on top of that -- definitely has the power in this situation.

PostPosted: 10/17/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

No question it can be done ...

But I've talked with more than a few scholarship athletes who were told they shouldn't or couldn't take certain classes (afternoon labs, for example) or should avoid certain majors.

It all depends, but the person controlling the one-year scholarships -- with transfer limitations on top of that -- definitely has the power in this situation.

It probably depends on the school, too. Some schools are just not all that academically oriented. They'd rather their athletes just played ball (UNC is a good example). Others are not that way at all. Stanford, for one.

PostPosted: 11/05/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not good at these, but here are my season predictions, with my predicted NCAA Tourney bids in bold:

1. Oregon
2. Stanford
3. Oregon State
4. UCLA
5. Arizona
6. Arizona State

7. Utah
8. Washington State
9. USC
10. Washington
11. California
12. Colorado

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/05/19 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The teams not named Stanford, Oregon, and OrSU will need to win almost all of their OOC games to look good for a bid because those three teams are going to be hard to beat in conference.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: