2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/08/19 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
2020 WNBA Mock-Draft: Volume 1
https://winsidr.com/2019/10/03/2020-wnba-mock-draft-volume-1/

Winsidr dipping their toe into the mock draft game.
Look at the link for explanations. They offer lengthier summaries than most.

1) New York – Sabrina Ionescu
2) Dallas – Lauren Cox
3) Indiana – Beatrice Mompremier
It’s becoming a habit seeing her this high. The author says it becomes unpredictable after the first two picks. If Carter declares, for me at this point she rates as the better player. Sabally rates higher too, but they fail to recognize her as draft eligible.
4) Atlanta – Chennedy Carter
5) Phoenix – Crystal Dangerfield
6) Minnesota – Mikayla Pivec
Not feeling this pick for Minnesota. I’m not sure I’d even like her at #14, tbh. #6 is a tricky spot where you miss out on the good stuff, and the rest rates about the same through the first round. I’ve always like Slocom if she comes out. I’m intrigued by Alarie. Charles could be a possibility. It’d be a good year to trade the pick if it was a worthwhile deal.
7) Seattle – Tynice Martin
Talent-wise maybe she rates this high, but she’s been getting into trouble lately. There was the getting busted with a controlled substance last year. This year she’s had domestic violence issue. She could be the next Riquna Williams and drop to the second round because of it.
Cool Chicago – Ruthy Hebard
9) Dallas – Kitija Laksa
Not really seeing the fit. I’d have a hard time passing on Alarie art this point.
10) Connecticut – Bella Alarie
11) Connecticut – Kaila Charles
12) Washington – Mikiah Herbert-Harrigan
Thibault likes to make weird picks and sometimes he gets lucky, so this pick would fit his m.o. Sorry to the Herbert-Harrigan fan out there, but this is too high.

Other potential first-round picks:
Erica Ogwumike - No way
Japreece Dean - No way
Tyasha Harris - Maybe
Te’a Cooper - Maybe
Joyner Holmes - Maybe

If Sabally does come out, I think Indy should pick her #3 and trade to fit her in, if that't not what they need. To me, she is the 3rd best player in this draft and has the best pro game of anyone not named Ionescu...and it's not close.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/08/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I've heard, Sabally is coming out ... no direct info, though.

PostPosted: 10/08/19 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Sabally's the obvious early entry. Oregon's the favorite to win the title. Ionescu, Hebert & Minyon Moore will be gone. Why not join her teammates in the W as well? Sabally should be a lock in the lottery. Does she possibly go #2 over Cox? Have Dallas go big with Harrison-Stevens-Sabally-Thornton-Diggins.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 10/08/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Sabally's the obvious early entry.

She would be my least obvious.

toad455 wrote:
Oregon's the favorite to win the title.

If they actually win, maybe it will be a factor.

toad455 wrote:
Ionescu, Hebert & Minyon Moore will be gone.

It’s “Hebard”, and I hope she wouldn’t be basing a decision on Minyon leaving. Not sure she’s much better than what they’re recruiting.

toad455 wrote:
Why not join her teammates in the W as well?

Why not stay with family at Oregon? Her sister is at Oregon, and they won’t have a chance to actually play together until next year. It would take a cold German heart to abandon family if you didn’t have to do it.

Of course, like I’ve intimated before, if the new CBA bumps rookie lottery pick salaries up to the $80K-100K range, that might be hard to pass up.

There’s the degree aspect too. Will she earn her degree after three years, and if not, how much is it worth to her?

toad455 wrote:
Sabally should be a lock in the lottery.

That’s not always enough. Sabally witnessed Ionescu showing loyalty to Oregon, and now Ionescu might be paying for that loyalty by going to the Liberty instead of the Aces. But that’s my cynical fan view. The only thing Sabally sees is loyalty.

ATL would be a beautiful fit for Sabally. McCoughtry might be on the way out or soon will be, and Cazorla might still be there. 🤔 But there’s no guarantee that she would go #4.

toad455 wrote:
Does she possibly go #2 over Cox?

Cox even goes to the Wings games. I know we’re talking about Bibb here, but what sensible GM is gonna say “no” to that? Take your prominent local player.

toad455 wrote:
Have Dallas go big with Harrison-Stevens-Sabally-Thornton-Diggins.

Not feeling Thornton as a guard, especially since Dallas is loaded at guard already. Cox makes more sense, even if it’s a bench role. Cox is kinda like a better version of Plaisance. IMS will probably be gone. GJohnson, not sure. Gustafson, not sure.

Sabally backing up Thornton and then Davis moving on works too.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/08/19 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Sabally's the obvious early entry. Oregon's the favorite to win the title. Ionescu, Hebert & Minyon Moore will be gone. Why not join her teammates in the W as well? Sabally should be a lock in the lottery. Does she possibly go #2 over Cox? Have Dallas go big with Harrison-Stevens-Sabally-Thornton-Diggins.

No, Toad please dont start this offseason . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/08/19 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Not feeling this pick for Minnesota. I’m not sure I’d even like her at #14, tbh. #6 is a tricky spot where you miss out on the good stuff, and the rest rates about the same through the first round. I’ve always like Slocom if she comes out. I’m intrigued by Alarie. Charles could be a possibility. It’d be a good year to trade the pick if it was a worthwhile deal.

#6 is also where Minnesota drafted Napheesa Collier, the 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year.

And perhaps the projects for Minnesota turn out better than you think, given your analysis of projected players from 2019 WNBA Mock Drafts:

Shades wrote:
AP WNBA mock draft from GM/Coaches
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/wnba-coaches-gms-tab-mccowan-for-top-pick-in-mock-draft/2019/03/29/5f82abec-51ee-11e9-bdb7-44f948cc0605_story.html?utm_term=.9153e4894f5d
Check out explanations at the link.
My comments in red.

6. Minnesota: Napheesa Collier, Connecticut
I personally think Collier would be a project for the Lynx, and Reeve hates projects. But I concede Collier could be the tough choice here given the options. I hope Reeve would prefer someone with three point acumen. The team will be REALLY hurting for three point shooting.

Shades wrote:
The latest mock draft from Voepel
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26425117/wnba-mock-draft-2019-predicting-all-three-rounds

6. Minnesota: Napheesa Collier, UConn, 6-2 forward
Looks like UConn updated Collier's height, but is Reeve going to buy it? She's still on the skinny side for my tastes.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/08/19 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oop ....Thats ROY you talking about there !

PostPosted: 10/08/19 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

#6 is also where Minnesota drafted Napheesa Collier, the 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year.

And perhaps the projects for Minnesota turn out better than you think, given your analysis of projected players from 2019 WNBA Mock Drafts:

Shades wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/wnba-coaches-gms-tab-mccowan-for-top-pick-in-mock-draft/2019/03/29/5f82abec-51ee-11e9-bdb7-44f948cc0605_story.html?utm_term=.9153e4894f5d
My comments in red.

I personally think Collier would be a project for the Lynx, and Reeve hates projects. But I concede Collier could be the tough choice here given the options. I hope Reeve would prefer someone with three point acumen. The team will be REALLY hurting for three point shooting.

Shades wrote:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26425117/wnba-mock-draft-2019-predicting-all-three-rounds

Looks like UConn updated Collier's height, but is Reeve going to buy it? She's still on the skinny side for my tastes.

This is one of the greatest posts in board history.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/08/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shades wrote:
My comments in red.

Shades wrote:

Pull out those receipts, baby! Laughing Razz

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/08/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

toad455 wrote:

Not feeling Thornton as a guard, especially since Dallas is loaded at guard already. Cox makes more sense, even if it’s a bench role. Cox is kinda like a better version of Plaisance. IMS will probably be gone. GJohnson, not sure. Gustafson, not sure.

Sabally is quite capable at guard though.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/08/19 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

toad455 wrote:

Sabally is quite capable at guard though.

Like Delle Donne? They list Sabally at 6’4, so if she’s anywhere near that height, you’d want to use it for rebounding. SF is probably her ideal spot.

I noticed Sabally is missing the first three games of the season for her German team. I wonder how devoted she’ll be long term internationally.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/08/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Oop ....Thats ROY you talking about there

It’s not terrible analysis on Collier. I’m not ashamed of it. Any analysis is better than no analysis. That’s what this thread is for, right? I should know. As Bernie would say, I wrote the damn thread.

What did I know before the draft? I knew Christmas was slated to start at SF and signed to a 3 year max contract. Maya is signed to come back next year. Therefore there wasn’t a big known need at SF long term. Dantas was signed as a post, but wasn’t sure if the Lynx would get the old MIN version of Dantas or the ATL version. So I considered the Lynx needy at the post. I wanted a post player.

What I didn’t know would happen is Christmas would be basically out for the whole season, changing opportunities for whoever would come in as an SF. Nobody knew Shepard would realistically be available at #16. That helped ease the need for a post, even if it was only temporary.

So what did I say?
Is Collier less than 6’2? Yes, she is.
Is she skinny? Most definitely.
Is she proficient at the three? She needs to get better to the point that she’s scoring a lot of them.
I even conceded she might be the best choice given what might fall to them. Nobody else seeing that?
Collier didn’t end up being a project because Reeve didn’t have much choice but to throw her in the deep end and hope she stayed afloat. She swam. Good for her.

Now it’s a time for 2020 draft analysis. Anybody else up for it? Got an opinion on Pivec as a #6 pick? Don’t be scared.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/08/19 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Is she skinny? Most definitely.

Disagree on that one. Collier looks pretty strong to me. WNBA.com lists Napheesa at 182 lbs and USA Basketball is similar at 183 lbs. That's not skinny for 6-1.

Shades wrote:
Now it’s a time for 2020 draft analysis. Anybody else up for it? Got an opinion on Pivec as a #6 pick? Don’t be scared.

Pivec is a good college player, but I need to see more to figure out if she's athletic enough for the next level. As for Destiny Slocum, at the end of last season and through both the Pac-12 and NCAA Tournaments, she was regularly benched at crucial moments in favor of Aleah Goodman. Slocum's defense is glaringly subpar even at the college level. Also, the little that I saw of the Pan Am Games trials, Destiny looked very ordinary against the better guards in college basketball.

PostPosted: 10/08/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its all good shades ! You are appreciated lol just memorable to see when someone points out your faults as you like to do to everyone else on the board. Its all fun Cool Cool Razz Razz

PostPosted: 10/08/19 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:

Pivec is a good college player, but I need to see more to figure out if she's athletic enough for the next level. As for Destiny Slocum, at the end of last season and through both the Pac-12 and NCAA Tournaments, she was regularly benched at crucial moments in favor of Aleah Goodman. Slocum's defense is glaringly subpar even at the college level. Also, the little that I saw of the Pan Am Games trials, Destiny looked very ordinary against the better guards in college basketball.

I have Pivec at #7 to her hometown team, and I highly doubt she goes higher than that unless she takes a significant step forward - but I don't think she will, mostly cuz I don't know what that would look like.

She's upper-body strong, physical on both ends of the floor, a great rebounder, experienced in running an offense & distributing efficiently, someone who can get to the rim & either finish or get fouled quite a bit, and good at making her open and/or close-range shots (over 50% FG, over 40% 3PT last year). And yet, I see her as a bit more of a project with a lower ceiling than most first-rounders. I am convinced her shot will not translate at least in her first year (she doesn't take many mid-range shots, and she's very much a toe-to-the-line 3PT shooter so the farther-back arc will really challenge her imo). She's not that athletic, not particularly quick, and can't really play fast with the ball in her hands (which is why she and others thrive in Rueck's slow-tempo methodical offense). To get to the rim in the pros, one really has to have those attributes in some capacity, and a big problem is, most of her game is predicated on that. I think she will need more time than most to attune her game to the pro style, à la her former teammate Sydney Wiese, but since she doesn't have the shooting prowess Wiese has, I do think she'll flame out early (I'm guessing after her rookie contract's up). And that's IF she's drafted in the first round where she'd get a real chance. If she has a worse year than last year and is drafted in the second round (or later), she ain't making it in this league.

Allllllll that said, I've said it before that I think she'd be a good long-term replacement for Shavonte Zellous on the Storm as they both have similar skill sets. I highly doubt she ever gets good enough to start, but she may not ever have to depending on how long Canada and Loyd's careers are, and thus she'd get time to develop. I'd be really surprised if the Lynx really went with her at 6, but I could see Reeve liking her work ethic and experience at PG. Realistically, I could see Connecticut picking her if they keep both their first-round picks, especially since Curt Miller has picked a few Pac-12 prospects before.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/08/19 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pivec reminds me quite a bit of Shatori Walker Kimbrough. I think she'll be ok if she gets enough of a chance. Maybe not in year one, but I think she can develop into a steady 6,7,8 player.

Slocum has nice passing but I think is too slow for the W. IMO her best season so far was her Freshman year at Maryland.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/08/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Pivec reminds me quite a bit of Shatori Walker Kimbrough. I think she'll be ok if she gets enough of a chance. Maybe not in year one, but I think she can develop into a steady 6,7,8 player.

Slocum has nice passing but I think is too slow for the W. IMO her best season so far was her Freshman year at Maryland.

See, to me, I think Slocum is only slow because of being at Oregon State. It's too bad she wasn't happy at Maryland, cuz it was a great fit for her. Ironically, she could learn a lot watching and emulating someone like Kristi Toliver.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/08/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Pivec and SWK are very different athletes. Pivec is extremely strong because of her training as a javelin thrower. My concern is that she looks slow. SWK has always been on the thin side. However, as one would expect, she's pretty quick.

I agree with both you and Stormeo that Slocum looked much better at Maryland.

PostPosted: 10/08/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shades wrote:
My comments in red.

Shades wrote:

This is one of the greatest posts in board history.

Agree 100%

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 10/08/19 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Pivec reminds me quite a bit of Shatori Walker Kimbrough. I think she'll be ok if she gets enough of a chance. Maybe not in year one, but I think she can develop into a steady 6, 7, 8 player.

Pivec is that small? I was thinking like she was more like a poor man’s Bridget Carleton, who won the national SF of the year award. Despite the accolades, she seems pretty marginal at the WNBA level so far. The Lynx already own the rights to Carleton. They have Talbot. They have Lexie Brown. Why on earth would they want to add Pivec? Too random of a pick. They could use a PG with some unseen potential, or somebody unique like Alarie. I don’t want to waste the pick on a garden variety SG.

If the Lynx could trade #6 for Powers, I’d do it in a heartbeat. I’d start her as the SG.

myrtle wrote:

Nice passing is good for the team who had the most turnovers. Sometimes speed just means you turnover the ball faster. Slocum has the best dribbling through a crowd I’ve ever seen.

It’s a bit harsh to say her freshman year was her best and it’s been downhill ever since. She’s only played two seasons, and she was the real national freshman of the year, while Ionescu was the ESPNW version.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/09/19 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Pivec reminds me quite a bit of Shatori Walker Kimbrough. I think she'll be ok if she gets enough of a chance. Maybe not in year one, but I think she can develop into a steady 6, 7, 8 player.

Pivec is that small? I was thinking like she was more like a poor man’s Bridget Carleton, who won the national SF of the year award. Despite the accolades, she seems pretty marginal at the WNBA level so far. The Lynx already own the rights to Carleton. They have Talbot. They have Lexie Brown. Why on earth would they want to add Pivec? Too random of a pick. They could use a PG with some unseen potential, or somebody unique like Alarie. I don’t want to waste the pick on a garden variety SG.

If the Lynx could trade #6 for Powers, I’d do it in a heartbeat. I’d start her as the SG.

myrtle wrote:

Nice passing is good for the team who had the most turnovers. Sometimes speed just means you turnover the ball faster. Slocum has the best dribbling through a crowd I’ve ever seen.

It’s a bit harsh to say her freshman year was her best and it’s been downhill ever since. She’s only played two seasons, and she was the real national freshman of the year, while Ionescu was the ESPNW version.

Pivec is currently listed at 5'10, though I have seen her listed at 5'9. That's another thing about her that I didn't mention in my analysis - like Asia Taylor, I feel as if she's positionless in a bad way. At the next level, she doesn't really have a good enough feel for the PG spot to be a real PG, she doesn't have the pure shooting or the kind of creative moves a typical SG has, and she's not really big enough to be a true SF (though like I said, she's physical and rebounds well). Her success will really depend on the team that drafts her and what they want her to be. She's best off being molded into that "Point Forward"-type player imo (PG on offense, SF on defense), which Zellous and Noelle Quinn both did/do for the Storm.

And Myrtle was not being harsh and did not imply that it's been downhill for Slocum ever since she left Maryland Question All Myrtle said was Slocum looked her best in her one year at Maryland, to which I agree. Like you said, she's only played two seasons with two more years of eligibility; she'll likely improve as she learns more of the vast Rueck playbook and gets further integrated into their sets.

And fwiw, I personally don't see Slocum early-declaring since she likes being close to her family, and there's really no WNBA franchise close to her suburban Boise, ID hometown (although neither is Oregon State, but she certainly has more of a capacity to visit her family while in college than as a constantly traveling professional in a city that probably won't be Seattle or Las Vegas).

toad455

PostPosted: 10/13/19 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Lynx pick at #6 is all dependent on whether Moore returns. She returns and they have Moore, Collier, Christmas-Kelly, Augustus(maybe), Zandalasini, Talbot & Sims to share the SG/SF spots. Makes me think they go for a post at #6, even if Moore doesn't return.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/16/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s an article from March 2019 (before Nyara got an ACL injury in August).

https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20190327/sister-act-oregon-ducks-standout-satou-sabally-is-looking-forward-to-playing-with-nyara-sabally-next-season

Quote:
"Having my sister here is amazing. I can go to her and we can speak in German, which is crazy," Satou Sabally said. "It's just like being away from home with a piece of home.”

"Family is everything to me, so having her is great."

Quote:
After making recruiting visits to Oregon and Oregon State with her mom and younger brothers, Satou Sabally decided to fly with the Ducks.

That meant Nyara would also be packing her bags for Eugene.

"It was kind of like a package deal," Satou Sabally said. "We knew we didn't want to be in America as separated siblings, especially as foreign people. She trusted my decision. We didn't really have a big basketball family, and I basically did the recruiting, like a lot of it myself. She trusted me because we didn't know anything. ...

"She knew I would choose a family atmosphere. This is what Oregon gave me, and I chose Oregon."

Randy

PostPosted: 10/16/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arrow NVM

toad455

PostPosted: 10/16/19 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her sister may never play again. Isn't this twice she's torn her ACL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 10 of 59

Jump to: