RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 10/06/19 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
Bernie's ideas are awesome, and his mind is still good, imo

His mind may be good now, but that can also go quickly when you're closing in on 80.

right now, bernie's mind is running circles around biden's.

Truth.

PostPosted: 10/06/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

His mind may be good now, but that can also go quickly when you're closing in on 80.

And every other (legit) candidate is running circles around both of their brains.

They are too old. It’s honestly selfish on their part.

PostPosted: 10/06/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
sambista wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

And every other (legit) candidate is running circles around both of their brains.

This is coming from Pelosi’s biggest fan?

If his doctors advised him that he can handle a campaign, that should be good enough. Again, he only needed a two-stent procedure. He’s probably on statins now if he wasn’t before.

I’d be more worried about Trump going down with his crappy diet than I am with Bernie.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/06/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

I don't see either of them as viable candidates. Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting tired of seeing OLD white guys as president (eight years of Obama notwithstanding). I'm sure hoping that someone else can break out and maintain.

I think (maybe hope is a better word) that the country is ready for young(er) blood.

I just saw Trump's campaign ad during the Packers/Cowboys game. Lots of people will buy into it, unfortunately.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/06/19 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This geezerocracy is getting old.

Trump was the oldest entering president ever at age 70. All of the top three Dems would be older than that upon inauguration -- 79, 77 or 71. Nancy Pelosi is 79, Mitch McConnell is 77, and both are running again. Justices Ginsburg and Breyer are 86 and 81. Sue Bird is 38.

Before Trump we had entering presidents who were 47, 54 and 46. JFK was 43. TR was 42. Joseph Story was appointed to the Supreme Court at 32 and was one of the all time greats.

Bernie is physically failing. Joe is mentally failing. And Liz is the scariest of all, because she has the absolute worst real world job preparation possible: a lifetime academic and spouse of a lifetime academic. Academics, I love them, and was one myself for a time, but the isolated, theoretical, totally artificial, tenure-protected, decision-free, and consequence-free bubble they live in is no preparation -- indeed, it's anti-preparation -- for real world executive leadership, management, negotiation and decision making.
Howee

PostPosted: 10/06/19 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Trump was the oldest entering president ever at age 70. All of the top three Dems would be older than that upon inauguration -- 79, 77 or 71. Nancy Pelosi is 79, Mitch McConnell is 77, and both are running again. Justices Ginsburg and Breyer are 86 and 81. Sue Bird is 38.

Before Trump we had entering presidents who were 47, 54 and 46. JFK was 43. TR was 42. Joseph Story was appointed to the Supreme Court at 32 and was one of the all time greats.

Bernie is physically failing. Joe is mentally failing. And Liz is the scariest of all, because she has the absolute worst real world job preparation possible: a lifetime academic and spouse of a lifetime academic. Academics, I love them, and was one myself for a time, but the isolated, theoretical, totally artificial, tenure-protected, decision-free, and consequence-free bubble they live in is no preparation -- indeed, it's anti-preparation -- for real world executive leadership, management, negotiation and decision making.

You've failed to credit her considerable time as a politician. She's earned her chops in that milieu, ANDDD....as an academic, she's capable of far greater intellectual reasoning and critical thinking skills, not to mention empathy: all sorely lacking in the current pick for prez. NO political experience, Sub-par intellect, and zero empathy for anything other than his own personal gain. Laughing

PostPosted: 10/07/19 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You've failed to credit her considerable time as a politician. She's earned her chops in that milieu, ANDDD....as an academic, she's capable of far greater intellectual reasoning and critical thinking skills, not to mention empathy: all sorely lacking in the current pick for prez. NO political experience, Sub-par intellect, and zero empathy for anything other than his own personal gain. Laughing

thank you! and i'd take an academician over a traditional politician. i'd expect an academician to duly consider all the information available and arrive at a conclusion based on being informed, above all the other bullshit. (stepping outside reality for a sec, my model is tom kirkman of "designated survivor." we should be so lucky.)

PostPosted: 10/07/19 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Read that as "current prick for prez" the first time. Laughing

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/07/19 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Trump personifies this life, in spades.

PostPosted: 10/07/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Good call. It's not like Elizabeth Warren has been a US Senator for 7 years.

Business experience is proving so beneficial right now.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/07/19 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
sambista wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

This is coming from Pelosi’s biggest fan?

If his doctors advised him that he can handle a campaign, that should be good enough. Again, he only needed a two-stent procedure. He’s probably on statins now if he wasn’t before.

I’d be more worried about Trump going down with his crappy diet than I am with Bernie.

Pelosi could lose speaker in a year, and then it's likely she steps down. (She might even step down if a Democrat wins the presidency).

It's not a campaign I'm concerned about, it's eight years of being President. Speaker isn't the same job. And regardless, Pelosi's brain also runs circles around Statler and Waldorf.

Again, it's selfish. If either of them wins, it's likely that the Dems will need to go through a primary process all over again, instead of having the advantage an incumbent President.

PostPosted: 10/09/19 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zvIgLlPdbVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 10/11/19 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden campaign plans to lose Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/465371-report-biden-campaign-plans-to-lose-iowa-new-hampshire-and-nevada

You may remember this as Rudy Giuliani's "Florida Strategy" from 2008

PostPosted: 10/15/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A new poll shows Elizabeth Warren leading the Democratic field, with 28 percent
That’s 7 percent ahead of Sanders and 10 percent ahead of Biden.

Quote:
In the most recent George Washington University Politics Poll, the senator from Massachusetts leads the Democratic field with 28 percent of the vote. Sanders is second at 21 percent, and Biden, the front-runner since his entrance into the race, is at 18 percent. South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Kamala D. Harris each draw 5 percent.

Although it’s just one survey, the findings suggest that Warren’s growing popularity, evident in other polls, comes from her increasing appeal beyond the party’s left wing. And with Warren also establishing herself as the second choice for many Democrats currently backing other candidates, she may be well-positioned to pick up more support as the field thins.

Quote:
But views about Warren may also be less crystallized. Seventy-two percent of Democrats say they have a favorable impression of her, trailing Sanders (79 percent) and slightly better than Biden (69 percent). But 12 percent don’t know enough to give her a rating, twice as many as her two main rivals. Assuming Warren continues to get lots of media attention, that number will almost certainly diminish.

The implication of all this is that among the three front-runners, Warren appears to be in the best position to pick up supporters when other candidates start to pull the plug.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/15/new-poll-shows-elizabeth-warren-leading-democratic-field-with-percent/

PostPosted: 10/15/19 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
A new poll shows....

This line has to be the most hackneyed phrase in our media.... Shocked And there's still a whole year to go! Razz Laughing

Re: tonight, I'm most interested in hearing Mr. Styer's take on things.

PostPosted: 10/15/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everybody is swiping at Warren, even Yang. Welcome to being a front runner.

Oh, and if you don't think Yang has moved the debate you're not paying attention. All the candidates (except Sanders, of course) are talking about UBI.

PostPosted: 10/15/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Everybody is swiping at Warren, even Yang. Welcome to being a front runner.

Oh, and if you don't think Yang has moved the debate you're not paying attention. All the candidates (except Sanders, of course) are talking about UBI.

Harris has had her tax credit plan from the beginning....

PostPosted: 10/16/19 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winners and losers from the October Democratic debate

Quote:
Winners

Elizabeth Warren, the front-runner: For the first time in one of these debates, Warren found herself under sustained attack. Through a combination of debate format, Joe Biden’s leads in early polls and Warren’s unique political Teflon, she had somehow avoided it. That changed Tuesday, though. Warren was the focal point, with the other candidates all but taking their focus completely off Biden. It wasn’t completely smooth sailing for Warren (which we’ll get to), but it was an affirmation that she is viewed as perhaps the front-runner now.

Amy Klobuchar: The Minnesota senator arguably made herself Warren’s chief foil in this debate, creating contrasts on taxes, Medicare-for-all and other issues. At one point, she rejected the charge that she was creating a Republican talking point by pressing Warren on whether her Medicare-for-all proposal would raise taxes on the middle class. “You are making Republican talking points right here in this room” by talking about getting rid of private insurance, Klobuchar charged. And she wasn’t wrong. At another point, she hit back at Warren by saying, “I think simply because you have different ideas doesn’t mean you’re [not] fighting for regular people.” All of this said, being the attacker in these debates hasn’t always meant much. See: Castro, Julian and Delaney, John. But Klobuchar needs to try something, especially since she’s fighting to make the fifth debate; we’ll see if voters are buying it. (One piece of advice, on behalf of all of Klobuchar’s fellow Minnesotans: the bad jokes need to stop.)

Quote:
Losers

Biden: Not only does he seem to no longer be the candidate his opponents fear most, but he was again somewhat off his game. He offered some odd figures on the middle-class costs of Medicare-for-all. He said “expidentially” instead of “exponentially.” He mixed up Iraq with Afghanistan. He said he never discussed his son’s Ukraine dealings with him, even though his son has said differently. And at the end of the debate, Biden said that he didn’t mean to disrespect his opponents, but that “I’m the only one on this stage who has actually gotten anything really big done.” His opponents bucked, with Warren pointing to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau -- and then suggesting that perhaps certain members of the Obama administration could have been more supportive. Biden hasn’t really dropped in the polls as Warren has risen, but he’s not showing the sharper version of himself that he probably needs to. And he seemed to be trying a little too hard at points on Tuesday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/winners-and-losers-from-the-october-democratic-debate/ar-AAIPTjQ?li=BBnb7Kz

Last edited by Genero36 on 10/16/19 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Genero36

PostPosted: 10/16/19 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WINNERS
* Pete Buttigieg:
The South Bend mayor had one clear goal in the debate: Hit Elizabeth Warren on her support for "Medicare for All," and make sure Democratic voters knew he had an alternate plan that would not eliminate the private health insurance market. Mission accomplished. And remember: The polling I've seen makes clear that voters prefer a plan that preserves the right to choose a private insurance plan than one that gets rid of the private market in favor of a government-run plan. Buttigieg didn't stop there. His response to Rep. Tulsi Gabbard's call to end "endless wars" was powerful, leaning heavily on his own military service. He slammed former Rep. Beto O'Rourke on gun control, with one of the lines of the night: "I don't need lessons from you in courage, political or personal." From beginning to end, Buttigieg was a dominant and commanding force. Yes, some will say he was "mean." But debates -- and primaries! -- are about drawing contrasts, and that is what Buttigieg did. And did very well.

* Amy Klobuchar: At the moment, the Minnesota senator hasn't qualified for the next debate in November. Knowing that, Tuesday night was her last best chance to make a real move. And to her immense credit, she went for it. Knowing that Warren is now the front-runner (more on that below), Klobuchar went right after her. "Your idea is not the only idea," Klobuchar told Warren at one point. At another, she tried to make clear that Warren had no monopoly on "bold" ideas. At yet another, she accused Warren of "making Republican talking points right now." I'm not sure it changes anything in her polling. But she deserves credit for taking her best shot(s).

Quote:
LOSERS
* Elizabeth Warren:
Welcome to being the front-runner! Although polling suggests that Warren and Joe Biden are co-front-runners, it was crystal clear Tuesday night that the other 11 candidates on stage viewed the Massachusetts senator as the top dog. Which, in theory, is a good thing for her! But in practice, it didn't work out well. Buttigieg started things off by attacking her on Medicare for All -- and Warren was unable to provide a clear answer on a) whether she would raise taxes on middle-class Americans and b) if not, how would she find the money to pay for the plan. The hits kept coming. By my count, at least seven candidates attacked Warren at some point in the night -- and while she remains a very able debater, she was unable to parry all of those attacks effectively. Also, Warren saying that she'd like to see the US military presence gone entirely from the Middle East is going to come back to haunt her.

* Joe Biden: I wrote today that Biden needed a performance that wasn't just "good for Biden" but good by any measure. He came close-ish but, to my mind, didn't do enough. (Worth noting: I thought this was Biden's best debate performance; his answer on his age and health was probably his best answer of the debate season.) His answer on his son, Hunter, and Ukraine was meh: "My son's statement speaks for itself" was the best he could do, knowing that question had to be coming? And maybe it will play differently on replay, but Biden's shout-y "I got you votes" move on Warren felt not so good in the moment. I get the argument that Biden didn't take any big punches in this debate and stayed off the canvas. But ask yourself: is that the right bar for a former vice president and front-runner in this race from the jump?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/15/politics/who-won-the-democratic-debate/index.html

PostPosted: 10/16/19 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/16/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe the polls for a minute. I think Biden's still got this in the bag.

Winners / Losers:

Losers: CNN / Anderson Cooper / Biden / Biden's opponents
When the moderator of the debate decided to go AWOL and invent his own "facts" about Joe Biden's criminal activity in China / Ukraine, those who were watching this debate who are not completely indoctrinated were able to see right through Cooper's declaration of innocence on behalf of the Bidens. Biden's opponents were also losers in this debate for not challenging this farce, proving that they don't have the backbone to call out corruption within the party, let alone run the country.

https://www.westernjournal.com/middle-dem-debate-anderson-cooper-declares-bidens-falsely-accused/

We'll see what AC has to say after the IG report is released.

Winner: Ron Reagan
Runs an ad sponsoring the debate on split screen pushing his religious beliefs, effectively alienating all people of faith, regardless of what said faith would be.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/16/ron-reagan-trends-after-atheist-group-runs-ad-during-democratic-primary-debate/

Winner: Tulsi Gabbard
Comes off as the only likeable candidate on stage. She also called out CNN and the NYT for their biased coverage of Syria as well as their rigged debates.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/15/democratic-debates-tulsi-gabbard-rips-hosts-cnn-new-york-times/

How much time did they spend talking about impeachment last night? Complete time waster. We don't even have an impeachment going on. Or a crime. Or an impeachable offense. In fact there won't even be a vote on impeachment. You don't need to take my word for it... Nancy Pelosi said it herself.

Another thing I'm wondering after watching the debate is who exactly are these candidates catering to? It seems that they are only reaching out to people who can't do anything for themselves because "the deck is stacked against them" and that the federal government is here to "help" them.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/16/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe the polls for a minute. I think Biden's still got this in the bag.

Winners / Losers:

Losers: CNN / Anderson Cooper / Biden / Biden's opponents
When the moderator of the debate decided to go AWOL and invent his own "facts" about Joe Biden's criminal activity in China / Ukraine, those who were watching this debate who are not completely indoctrinated were able to see right through Cooper's declaration of innocence on behalf of the Bidens. Biden's opponents were also losers in this debate for not challenging this farce, proving that they don't have the backbone to call out corruption within the party, let alone run the country.

https://www.westernjournal.com/middle-dem-debate-anderson-cooper-declares-bidens-falsely-accused/

We'll see what AC has to say after the IG report is released.

Winner: Ron Reagan
Runs an ad sponsoring the debate on split screen pushing his religious beliefs, effectively alienating all people of faith, regardless of what said faith would be.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/16/ron-reagan-trends-after-atheist-group-runs-ad-during-democratic-primary-debate/

Winner: Tulsi Gabbard
Comes off as the only likeable candidate on stage. She also called out CNN and the NYT for their biased coverage of Syria as well as their rigged debates.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/15/democratic-debates-tulsi-gabbard-rips-hosts-cnn-new-york-times/

How much time did they spend talking about impeachment last night? Complete time waster. We don't even have an impeachment going on. Or a crime. Or an impeachable offense. In fact there won't even be a vote on impeachment. You don't need to take my word for it... Nancy Pelosi said it herself.

Another thing I'm wondering after watching the debate is who exactly are these candidates catering to? It seems that they are only reaching out to people who can't do anything for themselves because "the deck is stacked against them" and that the federal government is here to "help" them.

MAGA World is a fascinating place.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/16/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantasy place? Laughing

PostPosted: 10/17/19 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Fantasy place? Laughing

It's called reality! You must have been thinking of the impeachment thread when you mentioned it.

And MSNBC's assessment of Buttigieg was spot on as well.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/17/19 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 23 of 43

Jump to: