RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Carol Diahann Johnson (July 17, 1935 – October 4, 2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 10/04/19 12:14 pm    ::: Carol Diahann Johnson (July 17, 1935 – October 4, 2019) Reply Reply with quote

Diahann Carroll, Pioneering Actress on 'Julia' and 'Dynasty,' Dies at 84

Quote:
Carroll died at her home in Los Angeles after a long bout with cancer, her daughter, producer-journalist Suzanne Kay, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Carroll was known as a Las Vegas and nightclub performer and for her performances on Broadway and in the Hollywood musicals Carmen Jones and Porgy & Bess when she was approached by an NBC executive to star as Julia Baker, a widowed nurse raising a young son, on the comedy Julia.

She didn't want to do it. "I really didn't believe that this was a show that was going to work," she said in a 1998 chat for the website The Interviews: An Oral History of Television. "I thought it was something that was going to leave someone's consciousness in a very short period of time. I thought, 'Let them go elsewhere.' "

However, when Carroll learned that Hal Kanter, the veteran screenwriter who created the show, thought she was too glamorous for the part, she was determined to change his mind. She altered her hairstyle and mastered the pilot script, quickly convincing him that she was the right woman.

Carroll thus became the first African-American female to star in a non-stereotypical role in her own primetime network series. (Several actresses portrayed a maid on ABC's Beulah in the early 1950s.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/diahann-carroll-pioneering-actress-on-julia-and-dynasty-dies-at-84/ar-AAIigez?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

Thank you for the building blocks for those of us who follow, Ms. Carroll. Sleep in Heavenly Peace.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:24 pm    ::: Re: Carol Diahann Johnson (July 17, 1935 – October 4, 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Thank you for the building blocks for those of us who follow, Ms. Carroll. Sleep in Heavenly Peace.

A few more notes about the incomparable Diahann Carroll:

--- Ms. Carroll was the first black woman to win a Tony Award for best actress.

--- She was nominated for an Academy Award.

--- In 1968, she became one of the first black actors to star in a sitcom as a professional (she was a nurse in a doctor’s office at an aerospace company), not as a Hollywood typecast of a domestic worker (which was common for Hollywood to do to black women).

--- She was the first African/American nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award.

--- And finally, Carroll was a founding member of the Celebrity Action Council, a volunteer group of celebrity women who served the women's outreach of the Los Angeles Mission, working with women in rehabilitation from problems with drugs, alcohol or prostitution.

sambista

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my memory of her has endured, thanks to her role as the local voodoo woman in "eve's bayou," still in my top five of all-time great flicks.

one more note:
she was an official member of the lena horne club (for famous black women whose beauty defied time).

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:25 pm    ::: Re: Carol Diahann Johnson (July 17, 1935 – October 4, 2019 Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
She was nominated for an Academy Award

Claudine is a highly forgettable, extremely dated, unusually preachy, 70's RomCom. Carroll was good in it, but there's no reason to see it more than once.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10/05/19 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was a gem, rest her soul!

PostPosted: 10/17/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W73fnWmh98Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Ignore the title -- this is Diahann Carroll's appearance on the Wendy Williams show from November 13, 2009.

Wendy Williams: "Ms. Carroll, I'm sorry for being tacky, but that's the kind of show this is. Is that all of your own hair?"

Diahann Carroll: "Yes, yes, it is. It's my SIB hair."

Wendy Williams: "What is that?"

Diahann Carroll: "Some I bought."

She is a legend and an icon, and she will be missed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: