RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Cathy Engelbert: League will investigate GM Penny Toler’s behavior after ESPN Report
Jackie Powell (High Post Hoops)
https://highposthoops.com/2019/10/04/cathy-engelbert-league-will-investigate-gm-penny-tolers-behavior-after-espn-report-wnba/

WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert on LA Sparks' GM Penny Toler allegedly using a racial slur in a profanity laced tirade.
Outside the Lines (ESPN)
https://twitter.com/OTLonESPN/status/1179827598064570368

If the 'investigation' is as speedy and comprehensive as the ones into, say, Sims and Howard, we might hear something around 2021.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler's gone. https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1180199142137745408?s=20
Quote:
The Los Angeles Sparks informed GM Penny Toler Friday that she has been relieved of her duties, a team source told ESPN. Coach Derek Fisher is expected to remain in his position next year, the source said.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Toler's gone. https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1180199142137745408?s=20
Quote:
The Los Angeles Sparks informed GM Penny Toler Friday that she has been relieved of her duties, a team source told ESPN. Coach Derek Fisher is expected to remain in his position next year, the source said.

Wow that was fast

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
From the Sparks: A national search will begin immediately to identify the next Sparks GM. Managing Partner and Governor Eric Holoman will assume the duties in the interim.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't surprised at the swiftness of this. The players were upset, there had been criticisms of this year's team, there'd been criticism of her (at least on here), and it made national news. Once it went national, I didn't see any way they would be able to keep her and have anyone want to play there.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler gets the boot.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27767909/los-angeles-sparks-part-gm-penny-toler-amid-turmoil?fbclid=IwAR0ae79fz-qoXjbF5fHNtVWv35eaqdqxCK8tmD2xJPJQV2YiaBxaYQIHwZ0

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Quote:
From the Sparks: A national search will begin immediately to identify the next Sparks GM. Managing Partner and Governor Eric Holoman will assume the duties in the interim.

May be a long search because clearly looks like the Sparks are a mess.

Candidates? It's not like GM's grow on tress.....Pokey has been a GM. Angela Taylor anyone? Michael Cooper? That Stone Kolb Killer in NY? (Liberty fans wondered how safe his job was in spite of being a very recent hire.)

pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angela Taylor is the GM the Sparks deserve Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Penny is my all time favorite female basketball player. I hope she recovers from this. But you can't use language like that in 2019.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
May be a long search because clearly looks like the Sparks are a mess.

They'll have it wrapped up in a week, after a "comprehensive search"

PostPosted: 10/04/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Penny, for anything other than her thoughts.

~lw3

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an unabashed Sparks hater, this has been an enjoyable tragedy. I'm sorry this chapter ended so swiftly.

Will the new GM fire Fisher or is the blood-letting over?

Eventually Parker's talent won't be enough cover for her. If she had Catch's mindset she probably would have been the greatest female basketball player of all-time.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 4:23 pm    ::: Change Reply Reply with quote

Some coaches are pretty good at understanding that times change and how they were treated back in the day is not necessarily the best way or even a decent way.

And then there are the people who are woefully stuck in a past decade somewhere.

Human beings have this awful tendency to swing wildly from too far one way to too far the other way. We go from whupping our kids with belts and switches to never punishing them at all, when there is a lot of acreage in-between those two places. And clearly Toler couldn’t find a decent middle ground between “abuse your employees like a villain” and “don’t ever criticize your precious star players.”

Glad she is gone. I am not a Sparks fan but LA deserves better basketball.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Leslie for GM? Tina Thompson? Parker retires and becomes GM?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
flojojr2007

PostPosted: 10/04/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Parker was adamant that she's not retiring.

Here's hoping Fisher will be out once they make their new hire.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/04/19 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Here's hoping Fisher will be out once they make their new hire.

grumbles state he will return next season unfortunately , but thats a long ways away so hopefully it changes.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler had to take heat inside the organization for signing "All 18" Riquna, and then when this happened, it would seem to be a pretty easy call.

My guess is that Fisher will be back in 2020, citing lessons learned, and the new GM will wait a season before making a move -- unless of course it all goes south early.

But there's nothing like some good Sparks' drama to excite the peanut gallery ...

PostPosted: 10/04/19 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
As an unabashed Sparks hater, this has been an enjoyable tragedy. I'm sorry this chapter ended so swiftly.

Will the new GM fire Fisher or is the blood-letting over?

Eventually Parker's talent won't be enough cover for her. If she had Catch's mindset she probably would have been the greatest female basketball player of all-time.

I am by no means a Sparks fan but I think the language Toler used was awful!

So what happened between CP and Fisher. One picture has her looking at him with baby doll eyes and another picture with her looking like she is pissed.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/04/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even as a Long Beach state player, Penny Toler exuded hostility and contempt for opponents. Good riddance!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/04/19 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I probably have a different attitude towards that language than everyone else here; while I don't use such language in "mixed company" (read: people who are not also black), it is part of my regular lexicon, and I make no apologies for it... BUT, that being said, you can't talk like that at work, especially not to people who ostensibly work for you.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/04/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler for WBB HOF!

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/04/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

With as little energy that she expends during games Parker should be able to play well into her 60's.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who are the candidates? You can't just look at former Sparks players - Penny was the only one currently in the role in the league - but you need WBB knowledge. Just because you are a former player doesn't make you a great coach or a great GM. Her skill was aided by the players and the luck of the draft. A few #1 picks always helps. Right now, the longest serving GM in the league is Sianko - 14 in Connecticut (built the current Finals team) and two in ATL. It is about understanding the players, the coaches, the W brass and the player agents. That being said, I don't think you can take from another team - should be new blood in the league.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/04/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder about Kelly Krauskopf. She was with the Fever for 17 years, and the Pacers organization for longer, but was moved out the GM role. She spent a bit of time in e-sports (???) and is currently an assistant GM of the Pacers. In some ways being in the NBA is a step up, but after so many years of being the top banana, I wonder how she feels about being an assistant.

She made some bone-headed moves (trading away the chance to draft Lindsay Whalen being the worst) but also built the teams around Catchings that had so much success. If I was LA, she would be my first phone call.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/04/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Ruth Riley? Was GM for a year with the Stars before they left San Antonio. Don't recall any great moves and the team was in the lottery. Still not a lot of people out there with GM experience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 8 of 18

Jump to: