RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/01/19 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope she can fully recover. I don't think it's that common to re-do the same one. She may be a grad student before she's able to play. Crying or Very sad

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/01/19 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I asked Sabrina recently (yes, Shades, a personal conversation, not speculation) how good Nyara was, and she said "Really good" -- and Sabrina is not one to throw around praise.

She said Nyara was a much different player than her sister, much more an inside player and stronger.

That's very sad for Nyara and a big blow for Oregon ...

PostPosted: 09/01/19 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That really bites for her.

PostPosted: 10/01/19 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and don't forget the advantages of the Oregon project.......let alone the money......

drugs and money...yahoo.....

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
and don't forget the advantages of the Oregon project.......let alone the money......

?????????????

Drugs?

PostPosted: 10/02/19 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
elsie wrote:

?????????????

Drugs?

Certainly. Didn't you know Guzman and his cartel were all Oregon grads?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/03/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elsie is so in love with Oregon....

and she can't forgive Graves for leaving Gonzaga.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/04/19 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Elsie is so in love with Oregon....

and she can't forgive Graves for leaving Gonzaga.

It just isn't possible imo for even the greatest head coach in NCAA WBB to build a WBB title-contending program at any school that isn't in a Power-5 conference. I'm guessing if it were, Graves would've stayed and his Oregon program would - generally speaking - be what it is at Gonzaga; and they'd be something of a mirror image of Gonzaga's MBB team.

People say reducing the # of WBB scholarships from 15 to 13 like the men would really help with spreading out the Division I talent from the top down. I tend to agree & support that idea (as well as the idea that the more parity in WBB there is, the better it is for growing the game).

pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/19 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
It just isn't possible imo for even the greatest head coach in NCAA WBB to build a WBB title-contending program at any school that isn't in a Power-5 conference.

UConn

PostPosted: 10/04/19 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
It just isn't possible imo for even the greatest head coach in NCAA WBB to build a WBB title-contending program at any school that isn't in a Power-5 conference.

UConn

UConn was *built* in the Big East, no?

PostPosted: 10/04/19 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a few questions, re: Oregon. I've clearly seen them play, but I don't know enough about the roster.

1. Who replaces Cozorla? Obviously Ionescu is/was the star, but Maite was a pretty good running mate and a senior with a ton of experience. She took a lot of the pressure off Sabrina by being the player that brought the ball up the floor and was a secondary facilitator of the offense. Who will be in the second starter at guard?

2. How will the defense improve? That's always been what I've seen with Oregon. They play beautiful offense and well, not so beautiful defense.

3. How will they handle the pressure? Because they have the ENTIRE WCBB world sitting on their shoulders. Has a team with zero titles had this much pressure on them? Sabrina is, IMO, a media darling the women's game hasn't seen since Candace Parker.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/19 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

UConn

The Big East is not and has never been a Power-5 Conference

PostPosted: 10/04/19 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I have a few questions, re: Oregon. I've clearly seen them play, but I don't know enough about the roster.

1. Who replaces Cozorla? Obviously Ionescu is/was the star, but Maite was a pretty good running mate and a senior with a ton of experience. She took a lot of the pressure off Sabrina by being the player that brought the ball up the floor and was a secondary facilitator of the offense. Who will be in the second starter at guard?

2. How will the defense improve? That's always been what I've seen with Oregon. They play beautiful offense and well, not so beautiful defense.

3. How will they handle the pressure? Because they have the ENTIRE WCBB world sitting on their shoulders. Has a team with zero titles had this much pressure on them? Sabrina is, IMO, a media darling the women's game hasn't seen since Candace Parker.

Grad transfer Minyon Moore (USC) will take over at the point. She's from the East Bay, where Ionescu is from, and she's a very good player (may even be drafted next spring).

She's not the same kind of player as Cazorla, but she's known for her competitive fire and has plenty of skills.

As for defense, I think the idea will be to outscore the other team more than shut them down. And barring injury, Oregon has a lot of ways to score.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

REALLY? Not even in the days when it had UConn, ND, L'ville, DePaul, Rutgers, etc., all banging around together?

ClayK wrote:
As for defense, I think the idea will be to outscore the other team more than shut them down. And barring injury, Oregon has a lot of ways to score.

Oregon is quite capable on the defensive end of the floor. Last season, they beat Mississippi State and Miss McCowan. Twice. And schlocked Stanford. (once)

Yer probably not gonna get to the FF without some proficiency at defense. And in the final four, they played Baylor tougher than ND did, though ND had the benefit of Lauren Cox going down in the final. I think it's more a case of Oregon being better known for their offense, but they pull out defense when/as needed.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

REALLY? Not even in the days when it had UConn, ND, L'ville, DePaul, Rutgers, etc., all banging around together?

Not even. The P5 are the same five big football conferences they have been since forever.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Grad transfer Minyon Moore (USC) will take over at the point. She's from the East Bay, where Ionescu is from, and she's a very good player (may even be drafted next spring).

She's not the same kind of player as Cazorla, but she's known for her competitive fire and has plenty of skills.

Thanks, Clay. So-do you think this season is just a coronation? Or can they be beaten?

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/04/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ClayK wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Thanks, Clay. So-do you think this season is just a coronation? Or can they be beaten?

There's no such thing as a sure thing, especially with a six-game single-elimination tournament involved.

It's safe to say Oregon, barring injury, will be very, very good, and no one will want to play them in the tournament, but the Ducks are far from perfect and will be vulnerable any night that they don't shoot well.

Last edited by ClayK on 10/04/19 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/04/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I'd like to think we all can recognize that even though the Old Big East wasn't a Power-5er in writing, it was the equivalent to one as far as WBB's concerned. But even with UConn moving back into it, it still won't be what it was. As it is now, a top program really can't be built at a non-Power-5 school.

ClayK wrote:

Grad-transferring to Oregon was a genius move from Moore, both in the present and for her basketball future. I have her on my draft board in the 2nd round - staying at USC would've kept her stock from rising too much. Even despite Moore likely being a much worse shooter, her complementary speed and defensive presence on the perimeter will I think make her a slight upgrade from Cazorla, and thus make them even better as a team (I'm sure glad my Huskies only have to play this juggernaut once this year Razz ). They won't go undefeated given the Pac-12 being what it is, but in the least, I don't see a Baylor rematch getting in their way of a title this year.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/04/19 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Not even. The P5 are the same five big football conferences they have been since forever.

Okay. Apparently, if it's all about Football, that makes sense (?). But the BEast, back then, was every bit as powerful as any of the others in most years.

PostPosted: 10/04/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

UConn

When was OBE women's basketball considered a P5-level conference? The BE was probably the best basketball conference in it's era. But the womens side wasn't close. Hell, The "weak schedule" comments started long before the AAC.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/04/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

UConn

When was OBE women's basketball considered a P5-level conference? The BE men was probably the best basketball conference in it's era. But the womens side wasn't close. Hell, The "weak schedule" comments started long before the AAC.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/04/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Okay. Apparently, if it's all about Football, that makes sense (?). But the BEast, back then, was every bit as powerful as any of the others in most years.

More than most in it's era. But the men, not the women. Louisville was a so so women's program till McCaughtry arrived. Rutgers and Notre Dame were good at different times. There were several decent programs and I would argue that several P5 conferences have 2-3 top programs and a steep dropoff halfway down the standings. But P-5 conference means football money and today a mid-major simply doesn't have the resources to offer athletes.

In 1985 UConn was paying 25K. That was about what I made in my petty state job. No way does Geno get hired today with no HC experience (and a white male "furiner" to boot). Laughing

linkster

PostPosted: 10/04/19 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

More than most in it's era. But the men, not the women. Louisville was a so so women's program till McCaughtry arrived. Rutgers and Notre Dame were good at different times. There were several decent programs and I would argue that several P5 conferences have 2-3 top programs and a steep dropoff halfway down the standings. But P-5 conference means football money and today a mid-major simply doesn't have the resources to offer athletes.

In 1985 UConn was paying 25K. That was about what I made in my petty state job. No way does Geno get hired today with no HC experience (and a white male "furiner" to boot). Laughing

WCBBFanz

PostPosted: 10/09/19 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Agreed Clay.

Minyon Moore slides into the starting PG spot IMO. She will bring something different to the Ducks than Carzola. Moore will be able to get inside the lane easier (and she is very shifty). When that happens her choices are (a) drive in for a layup or get fouled. (b) pass out to Sabrina/Erin/Satou for 3 or dish to Hebard. Defenses will have to decide who and where to guard.

Oregons defense could be slightly better just because of Minyon Moore. She has averaged over 2 steals for her career at USC. She also was a 77% free throw shooter while going to the line almost 200x last season (186).

Oregon will be tough IMO. Beatable-yes, but tough out for a lot of teams

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/10/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big question I have is 1) will Sedona Prince be eligible after transferring from Texas? and 2) if she's available, how ready is she and how much can she contribute, even defensively/rim protection with her 6'7 height?

I feel like we know Moore will be a key piece to their championship run, but Prince (and the other freshmen Cochrane) might be keys in terms of post depth and rim protection.

If Prince is ready and GOOD, then watch out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: