RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Minnesota Lynx 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52636



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/17/19 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When a player signs a contract extension with a team, it’s a clear indication that they want to stay with that team.

Fowles wasn’t her MVP self this year, but it’s more about the uncreative Pokey-style way Reeve was trying to get Fowles the ball. Forced and telegraphed lob passes into a double team. Fowles was always better with Maya there. Maya makes her teammates better. Collier isn’t there yet. May never get there. We’ll see.

But this doesn’t mean Fowles should be traded. It just means they have to stick together and figure it out. Just with rebounding and defense alone, Fowles is better than what’s out there to replace her.... although McCowan is looking mighty good. Remember who was all excited about the thought of McCowan learning from Fowles? Sweet pre-draft dreams they were.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7862
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's about better guard play. They did try to get creative with Fowles, as they worked all off season to try and extend her range a bit. And it did work to some extent. She was much better farther out than she has ever been in her career.

But really, they need guards that can both space the floor and deliver smart, on time passes.

1) Floor spacing. Teams have been focused on clogging the paint. When DRob and Sims are on the floor together, they know that along with Fowles 3/5 of the players' are limited when not inside the paint. Collier also is most comfortable posting up and making cuts, though she did really come on strong with her 3pt shot, which is something that helped dramatically. There is a reason why Dantas might have been the most effective person at getting the ball to Syl, as teams had to respect her shot, and it freed up space. Brown could help do this if she could develop the ability to create her own shot, but as of now she is still very much a catch-and-shoot and most of the time she was paired up with Sims who does not have the best court awareness.

2) On time passes. The Lynx guards, and the Lynx in general tended to be late on passes into the post. The schemes were fine, and there would be opportunity, but the guard would not see the post up or the cut until the passing lane had closed or the help defender had reacted. This led to much tougher shots, or just straight up turnovers. They need to identify the open player quicker, and make the pass while they are still in optimal position.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9426



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Moore returns, would it work to go "positionless" starting Dantas, Collier and Moore along with Sims and whoever else Lynx can find to play the point? Use Fowles off the bench and for matchups where needed.

BTW - what happened to the big announcement?



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52636



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/17/19 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If Moore returns, would it work to go "positionless" starting Dantas, Collier and Moore along with Sims and whoever else Lynx can find to play the point? Use Fowles off the bench and for matchups where needed.


Can’t see them starting that way but using it in those times when Fowles is on the bench. Dantas-Shepard-Collier worked well early in the season. Doesn’t mean you should overuse it. Surprise teams with it before they can adjust.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7862
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/17/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The announcement was her Facebook message about Mr. Irons. As expected.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52636



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/01/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0w5J77lnnDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 825



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/01/19 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geez - indefinitely is a strong word - but do we trust they know what they're talking about. its not like ESPN did the story.

hard to fault maya, but at the same time its not.


adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1729
Location: East Grand Forks, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/19 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://m.startribune.com/cheryl-reeve-agrees-to-new-three-year-contract-with-minnesota-lynx/563074422/

Quote:
After a year of significant change, Cheryl Reeve sees a bright future for the Lynx and she wants to see it through.

Reeve, the general manager and coach of the Lynx — she was named the WNBA’s basketball executive of the year after her remade roster made it into the playoffs for a ninth straight season in 2019 — has agreed to terms with Lynx/Wolves owner Glen Taylor on a three-year contract that will take her through the 2022 season.



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9426



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
http://m.startribune.com/cheryl-reeve-agrees-to-new-three-year-contract-with-minnesota-lynx/563074422/

Quote:
After a year of significant change, Cheryl Reeve sees a bright future for the Lynx and she wants to see it through.

Reeve, the general manager and coach of the Lynx — she was named the WNBA’s basketball executive of the year after her remade roster made it into the playoffs for a ninth straight season in 2019 — has agreed to terms with Lynx/Wolves owner Glen Taylor on a three-year contract that will take her through the 2022 season.


Perhaps she should have won the "Most Improved WNBA Executive" award instead.



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52636



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not sure how much pride she should have being named Executive of the Year. The reason the roster needed as much help as it did was because of her disastrous first season as GM. Not a single good move. I believe the only 2018 acquisition that held over to 2019 was DRob, and it’s debatable how good of a move that was.

Quote:
Reeve said she is convinced that, had Christmas-Kelly and Shepard stayed healthy, the Lynx would have been a top four team in the league.


Shepard would have helped post depth, but I’m not convinced Christmas would have been much of a factor. She would have started and held back Collier. Had Talbot for depth.

I noticed Reeve didn’t mention Augustus being out most of the season as a factor in losing. Sign of Augustus not coming back?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
herna220



Joined: 26 Sep 2016
Posts: 66



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odyssey Sims plead guilty. 10 days under house arrest. Imagine suspension will be coming at some point during the off season.

https://kstp.com/sports/minnesota-lynx-guard-odyssey-sims-pleads-guilty-to-dwi-will-serve-10-days-under-house-arrest/5525117/?fbclid=IwAR2qiuTsy7iRBhCRon6pq0dVBL01oitMojl62QyEzLWKUQJz5e7wFLIVKQQ


snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 825



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/19 4:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i saw this about collier in regards to the national team college tour, re: january time-frame...

'but Collier won’t be joining them because she’s signed to play professionally for Fenerbache S.K. in Turkey.'


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59836
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herna220 wrote:
Odyssey Sims plead guilty. 10 days under house arrest. Imagine suspension will be coming at some point during the off season.

https://kstp.com/sports/minnesota-lynx-guard-odyssey-sims-pleads-guilty-to-dwi-will-serve-10-days-under-house-arrest/5525117/?fbclid=IwAR2qiuTsy7iRBhCRon6pq0dVBL01oitMojl62QyEzLWKUQJz5e7wFLIVKQQ


Also four years probation, which could interfere with her playing overseas



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 328
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
herna220 wrote:
Odyssey Sims plead guilty. 10 days under house arrest. Imagine suspension will be coming at some point during the off season.

https://kstp.com/sports/minnesota-lynx-guard-odyssey-sims-pleads-guilty-to-dwi-will-serve-10-days-under-house-arrest/5525117/?fbclid=IwAR2qiuTsy7iRBhCRon6pq0dVBL01oitMojl62QyEzLWKUQJz5e7wFLIVKQQ


Also four years probation, which could interfere with her playing overseas


Well, if she somehow can't play overseas the next four years, there's always joining the coaching staff of a college team to get that income Twisted Evil


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17948
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/19 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m not sure how much pride she should have being named Executive of the Year. The reason the roster needed as much help as it did was because of her disastrous first season as GM. Not a single good move. I believe the only 2018 acquisition that held over to 2019 was DRob, and it’s debatable how good of a move that was.


It will definitely make a good talking point in response to comments you likely (based on past history) will make about her moves next year. Wink


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9426



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/19 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
herna220 wrote:
Odyssey Sims plead guilty. 10 days under house arrest. Imagine suspension will be coming at some point during the off season.

https://kstp.com/sports/minnesota-lynx-guard-odyssey-sims-pleads-guilty-to-dwi-will-serve-10-days-under-house-arrest/5525117/?fbclid=IwAR2qiuTsy7iRBhCRon6pq0dVBL01oitMojl62QyEzLWKUQJz5e7wFLIVKQQ


Also four years probation, which could interfere with her playing overseas


Well, if she somehow can't play overseas the next four years, there's always joining the coaching staff of a college team to get that income Twisted Evil


It seems like it would be tough to match overseas income which is likely more than her WNBA pay (100k+). If she really can't leave the country then her DUI could cost her a lot of $. If she gets another DUI in four years then she probably has to go to jail for this offense as well as the next one. Pretty costly DUI.



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
herna220



Joined: 26 Sep 2016
Posts: 66



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/19 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27873847/odyssey-sims-suspended-two-games-dwi-case

Sims suspended for two games to start 2020. Have not seen whether it was the team or the league who decided that number.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin