Los Angeles Sparks 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mayajustwins

PostPosted: 09/30/19 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mayajustwins wrote:
Regarding Parker to Minnesota and Shades response.

Problem 3 would be how many of the alleged 3000 STH (per Carley Knox in preseason) would demand their money back for having the Princess on the roster. Only Diana Taurasi has a chance to be more hated in Minnesota.

The answer is none. People hate players until they are on their own team.

X______

Hello, if Sims can do it Shocked Laughing Wink

But Sims was only with the Sparks for a short time. She was respected when she was with the Shock.

I still couldn't stand Larkins and Kizer when they became Lynx, because of how dirty the played all those years with the Fever. So embracing Taurasi or Parker is not even on the map. Just like when Jim McMahon and Brett Favre became Vikings late in their careers. Couldn't do it, unlike Randall Cunningham or Jeff George.

PostPosted: 09/30/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:

I still couldn't stand Larkins and Kizer when they became Lynx, because of how dirty the played all those years with the Fever.

What about Pierson?

Wiseone1

PostPosted: 09/30/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mayajustwins wrote:
Regarding Parker to Minnesota and Shades response.

Problem 3 would be how many of the alleged 3000 STH (per Carley Knox in preseason) would demand their money back for having the Princess on the roster. Only Diana Taurasi has a chance to be more hated in Minnesota.

The answer is none. People hate players until they are on their own team.

X______

Hello, if Sims can do it Shocked Laughing Wink

But Sims was only with the Sparks for a short time. She was respected when she was with the Shock.

I still couldn't stand Larkins and Kizer when they became Lynx, because of how dirty the played all those years with the Fever. So embracing Taurasi or Parker is not even on the map. Just like when Jim McMahon and Brett Favre became Vikings late in their careers. Couldn't do it, unlike Randall Cunningham or Jeff George.

Don't know who you were watching, Kizer has never been a dirty player.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/30/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mayajustwins wrote:

I still couldn't stand Larkins and Kizer when they became Lynx, because of how dirty the played all those years with the Fever.

What about Pierson?

Yeah she was the final straw in my abandoning NY as my favorite team.

- Amanda Gorman
bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/30/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1178369365361606656

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow

Wonder when this "piece" gets revealed?

I know, the day is almost over and I haven't seen any revealing piece yet .

toad455

PostPosted: 09/30/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:
Be prepared for a revealing piece on a West coast WNBA team to be dropped tomorrow

I'm guessing whoever Tweeted this jumped the gun on something they probably weren't supposed to.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 09/30/19 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I'm guessing whoever Tweeted this jumped the gun on something they probably weren't supposed to.

Maybe she was fooled by a Megdal or Barcoff tease.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 10/01/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

"Tomorrow" is now yesterday...... Razz

toad455

PostPosted: 10/01/19 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, never really seen this person tweet valid info before. So this one just falls into the "gotcha" pile again.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 10/01/19 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Not on the west coast. Very Happy Wink

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/02/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, never really seen this person tweet valid info before. So this one just falls into the "gotcha" pile again.

Ouch!

Sue Favor has done a lot for the game as an advocate with her blog and the media coverage she aggregates on her Twitter feed, but it often gets...petty and frankly, misinformed. I was done giving her credibility after she posted old stats on Pac 12 attendance (honey that's last year!) and then went after Geno on his 1,000 wins, lauding Sylvia Hatchell's 1,000 as more impressive, saying he had Chris Dailey to help him the whole time but somehow failed to acknowledge Hatchell also had help as she had Andrew Calder as her top aide the whole time. Felt...not journalistic. You have an axe to grind here.

There is a lot lacking in terms of professionalism and she goes after folks on Twitter who disagree with her. It's not a cute look.

So I'm not surprised her attempt at a "scoop" backfired.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/19 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Ouch!

Sue Favor has done a lot for the game as an advocate with her blog and the media coverage she aggregates on her Twitter feed, but it often gets...petty and frankly, misinformed. I was done giving her credibility after she posted old stats on Pac 12 attendance (honey that's last year!) and then went after Geno on his 1,000 wins, lauding Sylvia Hatchell's 1,000 as more impressive, saying he had Chris Dailey to help him the whole time but somehow failed to acknowledge Hatchell also had help as she had Andrew Calder as her top aide the whole time. Felt...not journalistic. You have an axe to grind here.

There is a lot lacking in terms of professionalism and she goes after folks on Twitter who disagree with her. It's not a cute look.

I agree ... Sue has done a lot for women's basketball but she gets personal for no apparent reason too often.

PostPosted: 10/02/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Ouch!

I agree ... Sue has done a lot for women's basketball but she gets personal for no apparent reason too often.

Clay, the weird/reactive tweets make my skin crawl! So awkward.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/02/19 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Ouch!

Clay, the weird/reactive tweets make my skin crawl! So awkward.

I’ve actually been a part of that. I questioned someone’s comment from a question she asked on Twitter and she basically told me to shut up. I was merely trying to have a discussion about it. Also saw someone question something she said and it wasn’t even offensive and she responded shut up or I’ll block you. 😳

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/03/19 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is presumably the story that we were supposed to be waiting for: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27736398/racial-epithets-star-benched-coach-questioned-la-sparks-chaotic-finish

PostPosted: 10/03/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
This is presumably the story that we were supposed to be waiting for: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27736398/racial-epithets-star-benched-coach-questioned-la-sparks-chaotic-finish

Ouuuch the Sparks could see a major turnover next season .

PostPosted: 10/03/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang. That is not a good look for Toler.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Several Sparks players told ESPN the speech made them feel uncomfortable and showed "total disrespect" as Toler called them "m-----f-----s" and suggested she'd replace them next year if they got swept by the Sun.

"You can't say that in 2019," one player told ESPN.

Pat Summitt is back! I hate heresay comments. There should be a name to people making these comments or no comment at all.

Quote:
Sparks players often asked him to bring in men for them to practice against, which is common in the sport, sources said, but not a practice Fisher showed a comfort level with.

That would be odd.

Quote:
There were also frequent player requests to install new offensive plays and looks -- Fisher tended to preach better effort and execution instead of new strategies and plays.

A mix of both would probably be best.

Quote:
several players said they didn't feel Fisher took that feedback well, often seeming "defensive," as one player put it, when he was challenged.

Quote:
Sparks managing partner and governor Eric Holoman told ESPN he feels "good about Derek as our coach next season, excited to see what our core players will do, and confident that we will have a winning culture in and out of the locker room."

He’s the boss.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
shontay33

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Dang. That is not a good look for Toler.

Not a good look for anyone in that organization. I think that once free agency starts or even around the draft, LA may have to move some players if Fisher stays on a coach.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Pat Summitt is back! I hate heresay comments. There should be a name to people making these comments or no comment at all.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "hearsay". We use hearsay all the time in our lives and make decisions based upon it constantly. The only time it matters is in a court of law in regards to the rules of evidence (and even then it isn't as big of a deal as most people think--there are a ton of exceptions where it becomes admissible).

In this case, these players are first hand witnesses with a high degree of credibility since there were multiple sources that all echoed the same story. And they have very good reason why they wouldn't want to put their names out there as backlash from their employer is a real and serious concern.

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have all winter to smooth things over, and you really can't trade Parker, the Flopsy twins or Gray unless they want to go. Williams may not be around to be traded. So what they going to do? Trade Brown, Vadeeva or Mabry?

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA is a players' league, and Fisher knows that -- and professional basketball players have experience and knowledge, which means they are worth listening to.

This is pure speculation on my part, but underneath all this I get a sense that Fisher may not value the women's experience as much as the men's, and the refusal to use male practice players is, in a way, evidence. The only reason not to do it is that there's some feeling on his part that the male players "shouldn't" be used against women, or that the game is so different between the genders that no value is added by bringing in men.

Both make little sense, and are countered at every level of girls' and women's basketball, as males are used to make the females better pretty much up and down the spectrum.

And to ignore the input of Parker and Ogwumike, two intelligent and experienced women, is troubling as well. If nothing else, install the play and then don't use it, rather than just stonewalling the suggestions.

Again, all speculation, just as my earlier speculation that Fisher had to adjust to a level of coaching and play higher than he had expected to encounter in the women's game was based on limited data.

Regardless, very troubling, and would seem to require some kind of response from the Sparks' upper management (above Toler).

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Several Sparks players told ESPN the speech made them feel uncomfortable and showed "total disrespect" as Toler called them "m-----f-----s" and suggested she'd replace them next year if they got swept by the Sun.

"You can't say that in 2019," one player told ESPN.

Quote:
Sparks players often asked him to bring in men for them to practice against, which is common in the sport, sources said, but not a practice Fisher showed a comfort level with.

That would be odd.

Quote:
There were also frequent player requests to install new offensive plays and looks -- Fisher tended to preach better effort and execution instead of new strategies and plays.

A mix of both would probably be best.

Quote:
several players said they didn't feel Fisher took that feedback well, often seeming "defensive," as one player put it, when he was challenged.

Quote:
Sparks managing partner and governor Eric Holoman told ESPN he feels "good about Derek as our coach next season, excited to see what our core players will do, and confident that we will have a winning culture in and out of the locker room."

He’s the boss.

If I am not mistaken, almost every WNBA team has male practice players. According to some of the players, it helps to keep them fresh. Not sure why Fisher was against that.

2. Fisher did not understand that he was coaching a veteran team and that the players have more understanding than he thought. There were definitely times were his coaching decisions were questionable. May people on here agreed that Parker should have been coming off of the bench after sitting out with an injury. Her being placed back in the starting 5 disrupted the flow of things.

3. Still don't understand why you bench your starters when they could have made a run. Not all of this falls on the players because he was the one who sat his starters at a point in the game where they could have made a run. He set the tone of giving up by doing this instead of calling a timeout.

4. With this story, Toler may be on her way out. Players talk and it might be very tough to get anyone to sign there.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn’t expecting that much tea on this Thursday afternoon. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 10/03/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't blame D.Fisher for getting frustrated. Sparks players wanting to give strategic advice after showing no effort in gm 2. I bet that's one of the reasons why Agler decided to resign.

My prediction for this offseason:

Fisher- Stays on as the HC...He has the backing of Toler and Holoman.

Toler gets fired or Parker get's traded.

What I would do?

Have a team meeting( Fisher,Toler,Parker,Nneka,Gray)...keep the big 3 together and add 2 wings and a backup PG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: