RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SI's All-Decade Team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 09/27/19 10:32 am    ::: SI's All-Decade Team Reply Reply with quote

SI's WNBA All-Decade Team: First and Second Team

Quote:
Gathering an initial list of candidates for the WNBA’s all-decade team was very easy. By looking at the players who were named first-team All-WNBA and had won at least one championship and an MVP award, a group of 14 players clearly stood out from the rest.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, justintyme.

And thanks for not posting the decade team and allowing the site to generate some traffic. Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/27/19 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Thanks for posting, justintyme.

And thanks for not posting the decade team and allowing the site to generate some traffic. Very Happy

Yeah, that was intentional. These things need clicks. Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/27/19 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good lost in general, I would personally reverse two players.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Fowles over Catchings is tough to swallow.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/27/19 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

It wasn't Fowles over Catchings. Fowles is a center, Catchings a forward.

At first I questioned Fowles on that list too, but then I asked myself what other center I would put there?

My issue was them not including Whalen. She should have been first team, imo.

If I were ranking players on an all-time list, Bird is undoubtedly ahead of Whalen. But if we just are talking about this last decade? Whalen was the best PG in the league over that time bases upon consistency and health. Year in and year out she was at the top or near the top of the league. Bird got hit by the injury bug and missed significant time, or was a shell of herself for big chunks over that span.

Same question for EDD. She came into the league in 2013. She missed multiple seasons with injury. Were the couple of absolutely phenomenal seasons enough to really grant her a place on the best of the *entire decade*? I'd move Nneka up and EDD out.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

At first I questioned Fowles on that list too, but then I asked myself what other center I would put there?

Parker has played enough 5 that putting her at center would have been totally reasonable. And Catchings over Fowles.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/27/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Parker has played enough 5 that putting her at center would have been totally reasonable. And Catchings over Fowles.

I see what you mean. Yeah, I agree with that. Parker at 5 is a fair hedge here, imo. Fowles moves to second team, Catchings up to first.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Same question for EDD. She came into the league in 2013. She missed multiple seasons with injury. Were the couple of absolutely phenomenal seasons enough to really grant her a place on the best of the *entire decade*? I'd move Nneka up and EDD out.

If you look at the entire decade, Elena Delle Donne won 2 MVP Awards, notwithstanding the fact she did not enter the league until 2013. Overall, she has 2 of the 10 MVP Awards for the decade; in terms of years played, she has won 2 of 7 (and won ROY in another year).

In terms of a "phenomenal" season, shooting 50/40/90 and averaging the points and rebounds that she did while maintaining that level of shooting qualifies for a "phenomenal" season (at least in my book)>

pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles did play 88 more games than Catchings in the decade.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

First, Delle Donne did not miss any seasons due to injuries. She did have injuries and illness. However, she played in 80% of her games.

On those grounds you could certainly move Taurasi to the second team - she sat out one entire season (2015), she played 8 games in 2012 as her team tanked for the lottery, she played in only 6 games in 2019 (getting ejected and t's along the way.) In fact, she played in only 70% of her games in the decade, compared to Delle Donne's 80%.

Further, Taurasi's team under performed much of the time. They won only 1 championship despite having a great supporting cast that included Griner, Taylor, Bonner and Dupree during those years.

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/27/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen should have definitely made 1st team. Best guard of the decade.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

If you look at the entire decade, Elena Delle Donne won 2 MVP Awards, notwithstanding the fact she did not enter the league until 2013. Overall, she has 2 of the 10 MVP Awards for the decade; in terms of years played, she has won 2 of 7 (and won ROY in another year).

In terms of a "phenomenal" season, shooting 50/40/90 and averaging the points and rebounds that she did while maintaining that level of shooting qualifies for a "phenomenal" season (at least in my book)>

Yeah, I'm not arguing that she wasn't incredible those years. My argument was about it being "all-decade", meaning I would give precedence to "constantly great" throughout the entire decade a over a peak-and-valley player--even if those peaks were some of the best seasons in WNBA history.

And yes, EDD did not miss full seasons, but those seasons she was sick her performance was hampered. She would not have been listed as one of the "best players" in the league those seasons. So compared to Nneka, who every year in this decade since she came into the league in 2011 would have been considered "one of the best" was it really the right call between those two? This is a list with a specific time frame, not a "who's the better overall player" list.

Or put another way: "Which players had the best decade?", not "Who were the best players who happened to play at some point during the last decade?".

And yes, there is a solid argument about whether DT belongs on first team as well on this, with her missing as much time as she has. Is there a player that we think has a better case?

PostPosted: 09/27/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
And yes, there is a solid argument about whether DT belongs on first team as well on this, with her missing as much time as she has. Is there a player that we think has a better case?

What do we value? Championships? Whalen and Augustus are both way ahead of her. Points? The player who scored the second most points in the decade isn't on the team and hasn't been mentioned in the thread. Assists? Vandersloot had 279 more than the second place player for the decade and has also not been mentioned. Defense? Laughing

It's not hard to make the case that, based strictly on the 2010's, Taurasi shouldn't be on the team at all.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's an experiment for you. Look at the numbers of these two guards from the 2010's:

Player A's teams made the playoffs seven of the ten seasons, including one trip to the finals (which they won). Player B's teams made the playoffs nine of the ten years, including three trips to the finals (two of which they won). Neither player is regarded as a particularly strong defender.

Which would you say has a stronger case to make the all decade team? Is the difference so great that one should make first team while the other isn't seriously considered?

Last edited by pilight on 12/05/19 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/27/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is Player B?

EDIT: Never mind, it’s Kristi Toliver.

PostPosted: 09/27/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:

What do we value? Championships? Whalen and Augustus are both way ahead of her. Points? The player who scored the second most points in the decade isn't on the team and hasn't been mentioned in the thread. Assists? Vandersloot had 279 more than the second place player for the decade and has also not been mentioned. Defense? Laughing

It's not hard to make the case that, based strictly on the 2010's, Taurasi shouldn't be on the team at all.

I assume the player who scored the 2nd most points this decade is Angel?

I wonder why SI didn't have three teams like they did for the NBA.

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/27/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Player B Toliver?

PostPosted: 09/27/19 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Is Player B Toliver?

The point of the exercise isn't to identify the players, it's to compare them without their reputations clouding things.

Davis4632 wrote:
I assume the player who scored the 2nd most points this decade is Angel?

Yeah. I'm not going to make a case for her inclusion, as the team is already front court heavy.

PostPosted: 09/29/19 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else find it odd that this starts with Taurasi and includes her MVP of finals in the header, but then they don't do that for all other players who also were MVP of finals?
Is there something about Taurasi's MVP that differentiates it from others?

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/29/19 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
Anyone else find it odd that this starts with Taurasi and includes her MVP of finals in the header, but then they don't do that for all other players who also were MVP of finals?
Is there something about Taurasi's MVP that differentiates it from others?

Hahaha. Nice catch. It wasn't included in Fowles', Moore's, or Augustus' header.

PostPosted: 09/29/19 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It also forgets that Fowles has the record for double doubles and is about 2-3 games away from being the career leader in rebounds.

Sue Bird's entry also lists her as both winning the championship last year and being out with an injury for last year.

PostPosted: 09/29/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:
It also forgets that Fowles has the record for double doubles and is about 2-3 games away from being the career leader in rebounds

Considering they left out the actual career leader in rebounds, who has more championships than anyone, that's not that strong of a selling point.

Also, Fowles doesn't have the most double-doubles in the decade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: