RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 09/23/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, my.

I couldn't go past 5:20. Your optimism is duly noted, but this kid is not an elite player....I can't imagine how she made it onto Geno's radar screen. Shocked

PostPosted: 09/23/19 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
From the 2020 Commitments thread:

Davis4632 wrote:
[Piath] Gabriel is low risk, high reward player. She's can be use for height when UConn needs her, and she's not ranked high enough to "scare" higher ranked posts from coming to UConn.

That's a perceptive analysis. I hope it's true.

Here's a full game video of Piath Gabriel (#32 in white):

<iframe width="466" height="262" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8qNqIdkjoys" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately, there's not much ranked height left in 2020 to scare away. I like 6-3 Angel Reese a real lot, but she fancies herself a guard and seems not to be interested in UConn. 6-6 Kamilla Cardosa is being recruited, I think, but she might be hard to get out of Tennessee and doesn't really impress me with scoring ability or mobility in the videos I've seen.

Vertical hopes may rest on 6-5 Amari DeBerry in 2021, who is characterized as a UConn lean by some, but who also seems rather raw and inconsistent in videos.

It's hard to find a really good (or even watchable) big in high school.

UConn made Cardosa's final list of schools and Tennessee didn't make the cut. The last three years made Geno realize he needs to have the top ranked post player to go along with having the top ranked guards and top ranked forwards.

Last edited by Davis4632 on 09/26/19 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/25/19 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Oh, my.

I couldn't go past 5:20. Your optimism is duly noted, but this kid is not an elite player....I can't imagine how she made it onto Geno's radar screen. Shocked

Well, she made it onto Jeff Walz’s as well, so she must be showing something.

linkster

PostPosted: 09/25/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL This reminds me of the thread about a Kia Nurse video as a rising HS senior. One video and she was relegated by a couple here (I really don't remember who and it doesn't matter) to 4 years at the end of UConn's bench.

Prospect Nation has her at #88 so there is something there. The only thing she is short of seems to be skills. Skills can be learned. 6'5" and big can't.

Besides, Paige can make anyone better. Laughing

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/25/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping no more than 3 losses this season.

PostPosted: 09/25/19 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't ever recall a UConn team about which so much is unknown a few weeks before practice.

Dangerfield has had some sort of surgery and no one knows how fast her recovery will be.

No one knows if ONO, the only real height, will improve her scoring and rebounding from her tentative freshman season.

No one knows how good the relatively unknown Aubrey Griffin will be, Geno's only U.S. high school recruit.

No one knows if transferee Evina Westbrook, an inconsistent player at UTK, will be allowed to play or, if so, how well recovered she will be from some sort of surgery.

No one knows much about Adebayo, an obscure graduate transfer from London, Gardner-Webb and Murray State.

No one knows much about Makurat, an even more obscure recruit from Poland.

If Geno can get this crew into the FF or even the E8, it might become his greatest coaching performance.

(Obscurity continues in 2020-21, notwithstanding the certifiably magical Pistol Paige Bueckers, with unranked players coming in from basketball coldbeds such as Croatia and New Hampshire.)
Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/26/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
Oh, my.

Well, she made it onto Jeff Walz’s as well, so she must be showing something.

She also was offered by Tennessee, Ohio St, UNC, Kentucky, Miami (FL), West Virginia, LSU, and Pitt. All those coaches or their AC's must have been on the same beach when they noticed her.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/26/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I don't ever recall a UConn team about which so much is unknown a few weeks before practice.

Dangerfield has had some sort of surgery and no one knows how fast her recovery will be.

No one knows if ONO, the only real height, will improve her scoring and rebounding from her tentative freshman season.

No one knows how good the relatively unknown Aubrey Griffin will be, Geno's only U.S. high school recruit.

No one knows if transferee Evina Westbrook, an inconsistent player at UTK, will be allowed to play or, if so, how well recovered she will be from some sort of surgery.

No one knows much about Adebayo, an obscure graduate transfer from London, Gardner-Webb and Murray State.

No one knows much about Makurat, an even more obscure recruit from Poland.

If Geno can get this crew into the FF or even the E8, it might become his greatest coaching performance.

(Obscurity continues in 2020-21, notwithstanding the certifiably magical Pistol Paige Bueckers, with unranked players coming in from basketball coldbeds such as Croatia and New Hampshire.)

What we do know is this:

If CD is 100% healthy, her and Christyn Williams could be the best back court in the country.

linkster

PostPosted: 09/26/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

You are forgetting Saylor Poffenberger, ESPN #17, 6'2" guard. Just the sort of lanky 3 pt shooter you love. Wink

Add in Ms Fudd and you got a No 1 class.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/28/19 3:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You are forgetting Saylor Poffenberger, ESPN #17, 6'2" guard. Just the sort of lanky 3 pt shooter you love. Wink

No, I confused classes by saying 2020-21.

The UConn recruits with #1 Pistol in the graduating class of 2020 are unranked Muhl from Croatia and Gabriel from New Hampshire, plus HoopGurlz #21 Mir McLean. Gabriel can be interpreted as just a backup player to Geno's real 2020 post target Kamilla Cardosa or, alternatively, as a last ditch take because he already knows Cardosa has said no.

Poffenbarger, Fudd and DeBerry are all in the class of 2021, which could be a rich haul if UConn gets all three along with a guard such as Olivia Miles, Saniya Rivers or Sonia Citron.
linkster

PostPosted: 09/28/19 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

No, I confused classes by saying 2020-21.

The UConn recruits with #1 Pistol in the graduating class of 2020 are unranked Muhl from Croatia and Gabriel from New Hampshire, plus HoopGurlz #21 Mir McLean. Gabriel can be interpreted as just a backup player to Geno's real 2020 post target Kamilla Cardosa or, alternatively, as a last ditch take because he already knows Cardosa has said no.

Poffenbarger, Fudd and DeBerry are all in the class of 2021, which could be a rich haul if UConn gets all three along with a guard such as Olivia Miles, Saniya Rivers or Sonia Citron.

I doubt that another elite guard would want to spend 3 years subbing in for Bueckers & Fudd (if Fudd were to sign) but a quality post is always welcome.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 10/14/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ACSUC99 checking in for another season of WIMIN'S BASKETBALL! (RIP Slewbopper)

One thing has stuck out to me early.

Auriemma returned to practice with a MASSIVE gut. I mean Jesus. Looks like he can barely move. His mind is already working slower (as was evident in the Final Four the last 3 years) but physically he does not look well. What type of message does this send to the team? Lay off the carbs Coach!

Will we ever find out Evina Waiverbrook's status? More importantly will the second rate Kelli Stacy that the Courant rag hired whose doing a rather poor job so far with the coverage bother to ask?

Geno is already in woe is me status. "this year is in flux" " we lost too much scoring with no good options" "so and so has to be great every night for us to have a chance."

Does this sound like the young hungry and physically fit man that led 5 slugs with mullets to the 1991 Final Four? Waiving the white flag already? Reminder you are starting 2 #1 ranked players, a Senior PG, and a rising 6'4 freak. You MAY have to actually coach this year but geez BUCK UP, old man!

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/14/19 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's funny. And within the past couple days I read an old article where Meghan Culmo referenced that 91 team as a bunch of slugs.

Are you Meghan Culmo?

acsuc99

PostPosted: 10/14/19 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
That's funny. And within the past couple days I read an old article where Meghan Culmo referenced that 91 team as a bunch of slugs.

Are you Meghan Culmo?

Thankfully no! When acsuc99 laughs, I giggle like a school girl. When Meg Patty Culmo laughs she lets out a forced...YUCK YUCK YUCK. Hence the nickname, the Yuckster.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/14/19 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm ready for a season of who knows wtf to expect, 99!

PostPosted: 10/15/19 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

AAC Token lady interviewer- "Geno when was the last time you went into a season with a team of no All Americans...what situation would you say this most reminds you of."

Geno- "I would have to say......2005."

ACSUC99 looks to the sky and lets out a primal scream- "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/15/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

AAC Token lady interviewer- "Geno when was the last time you went into a season with a team of no All Americans...what situation would you say this most reminds you of."

Geno- "I would have to say......2005."

ACSUC99 looks to the sky and lets out a primal scream- "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

oh dear....Geno calling for the Return of the Dark Days. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 10/15/19 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Italians do love them their pasta.......

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/17/19 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

PostPosted: 10/18/19 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...aaaaand 1st night kicks off the season.

Molly Bent drills the final 5th ball on the rack- the 2pter-, at the buzzer, to win the 3 pt contest over Anna Meerkat, by 1.

PostPosted: 10/18/19 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Molly Bent drills the final 5th ball on the rack- the 2pter-, at the buzzer, to win the 3 pt contest over Anna Meerkat, by 1.

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY! I can just imagine our shock or dismay if she is the 5th starter!

Why didn't Squeaks participate?

Anna Maka-RAT has a very funky shooting form and I for one can't wait for GlennMacgraddy's manifesto examining it. Is Glennmac still around? The Rat looks like one of those sound skilled European white chicks that Oregon has. Nice!

ONO has to be one of the better female dunkers in a while. She dunks with ease and is not labored doing it. I hear Geno always whining about fans and attendance...well...let the ONO dunk Geno and maybe palpable buzz will follow!

Audrey Griffin tried a dunk and like most wimin's players looked foolish attempting it. She seemed to be goated into it by Dangerfield so that's not encouraging that CD has improved her decision making.

Aaliyah Edwards seemed to be enjoying herself. So no Crystal Langhorne sour puss face visit from hell to worry about.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/19/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY! I can just imagine our shock or dismay if she is the 5th starter!

Anna Maka-RAT has a very funky shooting form and I for one can't wait for GlennMacgraddy's manifesto examining it. Is Glennmac still around? The Rat looks like one of those sound skilled European white chicks that Oregon has. Nice!

ONO has to be one of the better female dunkers in a while. She dunks with ease and is not labored doing it. I hear Geno always whining about fans and attendance...well...let the ONO dunk Geno and maybe palpable buzz will follow!

Audrey Griffin tried a dunk and like most wimin's players looked foolish attempting it. She seemed to be goated into it by Dangerfield so that's not encouraging that CD has improved her decision making.

Aaliyah Edwards seemed to be enjoying herself. So no Crystal Langhorne sour puss face visit from hell to worry about.

I don't like that the Meerkat shot is released from the nose/mouth area- vulnerable to blockage? But she seems to be a quick thinker/shooter, and is 6', so maybe it doesn't matter.

HAHAHA re Langhorn sour puss. That was the most obvious HELL NO! ever.

PostPosted: 10/19/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so...none of you UConn'ers want to put your money where your mouth is? fantasy land is available: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97130
c'mon over and join the fun.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/19/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantasy sports isn't my bag, baby.

Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/19/19 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I don't like that the Meerkat shot is released from the nose/mouth area- vulnerable to blockage? But she seems to be a quick thinker/shooter, and is 6', so maybe it doesn't matter.

HAHAHA re Langhorn sour puss. That was the most obvious HELL NO! ever.

Okay, I missed out on everything back then...but what was the story behind Langhorne?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 11 of 19

Jump to: