Sun
25%
 25%  [ 13 ]
Mystics
74%
 74%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 51

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/19 10:18 pm    ::: Sun @ Mystics - 9/29/19 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Playoffs - Finals Game 1
Washington, DC - 3:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN

ESPN stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch?id=6f9c0ac4-28bd-425d-b0ea-312d3355c249&rb=true

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20190929/CONWAS/

ESPN Gamecast:
http://www.espn.com/wnba/game?gameId= 401165807

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/24/19 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Help me, Obi Wan Jonquel. You're my only hope.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/24/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How refreshing. No Sparks. No Lynx. No Mercury. No Storm. No team from west or south of the Potomac River.
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/24/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 1 – Sun at Mystics, Sunday, 9/29 at 3:00 PM on ESPN

Game 2 – Sun at Mystics, Tuesday, 10/1 at 8:00 PM on ESPN

Game 3 – Mystics at Sun, Sunday, 10/6 at 3:30 PM on ABC

Game 4 – Mystics at Sun, Tuesday, 10/8 at 8:00 on ESPN

Game 5 – Sun at Mystics, Thursday, 10/10 at 8:00 PM on ESPN2

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/24/19 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
How refreshing. No Sparks. No Lynx. No Mercury. No Storm. No team from west or south of the Potomac River.

... No interest west of I-95...

tbinta

PostPosted: 09/25/19 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics in 4..

Unless they want to hoist trophy at home...

Mystics in 5

PostPosted: 09/25/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One team will win its first championship. The irony of this series is that Coach Mike T. will have to defeat the team that fired him years ago. Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/25/19 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love that we'll be getting a first-time champion!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/25/19 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who has the smaller championship window? I used to think it was the Sun because of their impending free agency situation. But it looks like they'll always have a shot as long as they have their starters (Jasmine Thomas, the team's oldest player, still won't be 30 for another few days). Unless someone wants out, I doubt any of them change teams in the offseason given that they'll all be able to get (near-)max contracts. It doesn't really matter if they can afford to keep much of their bench, since they've underperformed and are replaceable anyway. Alyssa Thomas might take some/all of a season off to get her two labrums in her shoulders fixed, but it didn't sound like she knew when she could fit that surgery in.

Washington's window on the other hand seems very erratic. EDD hasn't had a good record of being healthy at this time of year. Meesseman will probably be unavailable for a couple more full seasons in the future. Sanders has entirely skipped 5 seasons since she came into the league in 2008. Hard to say when Toliver calls it quits and feels like really starting her career within the NBA. And Mike Thibault is currently the oldest head coach in the league at 68...

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/25/19 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't help but wonder: what is MartiniMan thinking? How is he feeling? What is he drinking?
lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/25/19 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I can't help but wonder: what is MartiniMan thinking? How is he feeling? What is he drinking?

And whitedudeloveswnba...

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/26/19 5:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Who has the smaller championship window? I used to think it was the Sun because of their impending free agency situation. But it looks like they'll always have a shot as long as they have their starters (Jasmine Thomas, the team's oldest player, still won't be 30 for another few days). Unless someone wants out, I doubt any of them change teams in the offseason given that they'll all be able to get (near-)max contracts. It doesn't really matter if they can afford to keep much of their bench, since they've underperformed and are replaceable anyway. Alyssa Thomas might take some/all of a season off to get her two labrums in her shoulders fixed, but it didn't sound like she knew when she could fit that surgery in.

Washington's window on the other hand seems very erratic. EDD hasn't had a good record of being healthy at this time of year. Meesseman will probably be unavailable for a couple more full seasons in the future. Sanders has entirely skipped 5 seasons since she came into the league in 2008. Hard to say when Toliver calls it quits and feels like really starting her career within the NBA. And Mike Thibault is currently the oldest head coach in the league at 68...

EDD is our window.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/28/19 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DisrespeCT Fuels Sun To WNBA Finals

A rare Good Article straight from the .com summing up the "role players" storyline. Impressed with the Sun org really capitalizing on it within the marketing. #DisrespeCT

Ironic how it all started with the help of a former Sun great Laughing unless it was all planned out that way & everyone's in on it hehe not to sound like a pro-Trump conspiracy theorist or anything

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/28/19 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article in the Washington Post today about all the former Terps playing on the Mystics and Sun:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/27/wnba-finals-pits-mystics-vs-sun-bunch-terps-vs-each-other/

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/19 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Great article in the Washington Post today about all the former Terps playing on the Mystics and Sun:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/27/wnba-finals-pits-mystics-vs-sun-bunch-terps-vs-each-other/

I’m surprised they didn’t mention Cloud’s one year at Maryland.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/28/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

It's quite possible that the writer spoke with Cloud, and that Cloud, a proud graduate of Saint Joseph's, wants to be known for that and not her brief connection to the Terps. There's no question that everyone here in the DC-area who pays attention to the Mystics and to WCBB knows that Cloud started out as a Terp.

Edited to add this from today's New York Times:

Quote:
“I was just a kid from a mid-major trying to stay in the league,” Cloud said, referring to her college tenure at St. Joseph’s of the Atlantic 10.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/27/sports/basketball/in-the-wnba-finals-a-battle-of-true-believers.html

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Shades wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

It's quite possible that the writer spoke with Cloud, and that Cloud, a proud graduate of Saint Joseph's, wants to be known for that and not her brief connection to the Terps.

That’s a silly notion since the point of the article is the pride of being from the University of Maryland, a local school. Her year with Maryland undoubtedly caught the eye of Thibault. It’s easy for him to scout Maryland.

Using that line of reasoning also implies that Kiara Leslie wasn’t a “proud graduate” of NCSU, since they revealed that she spent two years at Maryland. It’s usually not a matter of choice in these informative articles whether your or not school history is revealed. I think the author may have just missed it.

CourtsideTix wrote:
There's no question that everyone here in the DC-area who pays attention to the Mystics and to WCBB knows that Cloud started out as a Terp.

So why even bother writing this article if all the people that really matter already knows everything in this article? These people are actually probably wondering the same thing I am: Why was Cloud left out? 🤔

On a different note, Thibault used to scout heavily at UConn when he was with the Sun. Now he scouts heavily at the DC area schools. Either he realizes the value of local ties to sports and player performance OR he’s a lazy scout... or maybe a little bit of both? He just finds what he needs locally.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/28/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Won't this be the first time ever that two WNBA East teams meet in the Finals, and the first time since 2012 that an East team wins the finals?

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/28/19 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I think the author may have just missed it.

. . .
On a different note, Thibault used to scout heavily at UConn when he was with the Sun. Now he scouts heavily at the DC area schools. Either he realizes the value of local ties to sports and player performance OR he’s a lazy scout... or maybe a little bit of both? He just finds what he needs locally.

I really doubt that the Washington Post's Ava Wallace "just missed it."

As for Thibault being lazy, Rolling Eyes

(But it's interesting to learn that he must have just found Emma Meesseman locally. Thanks for letting us know.)

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/28/19 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Won't this be the first time ever that two WNBA East teams meet in the Finals

This is only the fourth year of this format, so that's barely even statistically significant, IMO. Although, if you want to be pedantic about it, the 1997 Houston Comets were technically in the eastern conference.

Quote:
, and the first time since 2012 that an East team wins the finals?

Of more interest to me is that, if you don't count the inaugural season, this will be the first time that the WNBA Finals is contested between two teams seeking to win their first championship, in which an eastern conference team is going to win, and only the second time (2008 Shock) that an eastern conference team is going to win a championship without dethroning the defending WNBA Champion.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/28/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One team will win their first championship and also one head coach will win their first. I hope it's Thibault, who I believe they announce as having the most wins in WNBA history.

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 09/29/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was a big fan of Coach Collen in CT and what she has done now in ATL. She, and Sianko should get kudos for CT progressing as far as they have. She installed the defense in her 2 years there. Sianko - not Miller - was responsible for drafting/trading for all 5 starters (JJ, JT, AT, CW, SS) and 4 on the bench (RB, MT) - two of which he sent while in ATL (BH, LC). Hope CT remembers this when they win it all. And if they don't, forget that Sianko and Collen were a part of that team and hope they can get the Dream back on track next year!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh Jas, you're never gonna get that call against EDD

PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both teams living by the 3 already. Sun 3-3, Mystics 4-7.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PicknLOL

PostPosted: 09/29/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics – every one of them – seem to be starting this game better than they did their first and third game against Vegas. On the other end, Courtney Williams is shining early too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: