RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Looks like Alleyne was released on 8/20 and wasn’t re-signed.
Now it appears they have signed Bridget Carleton to a seven-day contract.

She probably won’t contribute much on the court this season but they can lock in reserve rights for her if they decide to keep her.

Reeve worrying about the SF position again, although I suppose she can be used as a big guard like Talbot, Augustus. 🤔

Positions don't mean anything anymore! We're going to have a team of all 5-10 to 6-2 players next year! Very Happy
Or since Minnesota is almost Canada and almost Iowa, we have to try having a Canadian from one of the Iowa schools on the team. Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 6 games remaining for Lynx....

Season series won
CON 2-1
NYL 2-1
ATL 2-1
CHI 2-0 | Remaining game on 8/27
PHX 2-0 | Remaining game on 9/06

Season series lost
WAS 0-3
SEA 1-3 (4-gm series)
LVA 0-2 | Remaining game on 8/25
LAS 0-2 | Remaining game on 9/08

Season series to be decided
DAL 1-1 | Remaining game on 8/22
IND 1-1 | Remaining game on 9/01

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/19 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great interview with both Collier and Wolves first round pick Jarrett Culver at the Minnesota State Fair.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAix56jNXvE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/19 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 4 games remaining for Lynx....

Season series won
CON 2-1
NYL 2-1
ATL 2-1
DAL 1-2
CHI 2-0 | Remaining game on 8/27

Season series lost
WAS 0-3
SEA 1-3 (4-gm series)
LVA 1-2

Season series to be decided
IND 1-1 | Remaining game on 9/01

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/05/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being A WNBA Center Is Harder Than Ever. So Sylvia Fowles Adapted Her Game.
Howard Megdal (FiveThirtyEight)

Quote:
But while the statistics — at least the topline numbers — would indicate that Fowles is simply the same great center she’s been since her rookie season in Chicago back in 2008, a closer look at how she’s been scoring her points in 2019 reveals the change she made to enhance her game.

Fowles is 19-for-34 on shots 15 to 19 feet away from the basket, a 55.9 percent clip that ranks her among this season’s elite midrange shooters. For reference, Fowles was 2-for-6 from that distance in 2018.

That didn’t happen by accident. Lynx head coach Cheryl Reeve told Fowles in their exit meeting at the end of 2018 that she wanted her to diversify her game, and Fowles worked with Lynx assistant Walt Hopkins all offseason. The daily routine was punishing: Fowles would shoot at the rim, in the paint, from the free-throw and three-point lines, and couldn’t advance to the next spot until she made five in a row, all swishes.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/being-a-wnba-center-is-harder-than-ever-so-sylvia-fowles-adapted-her-game/

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/19 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 2 games remaining for Lynx....

Season series won
CHI 3-0
ATL 2-1
CON 2-1
DAL 2-1
IND 2-1
NYL 2-1

Season series lost
WAS 0-3
SEA 1-3 (4-gm series)
LVA 1-2

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/08/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles signed to a multiyear contract extension.

PostPosted: 09/08/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice to see player loyalty to their team is alive and well. Razz

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/08/19 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Positions don't mean anything anymore! We're going to have a team of all 5-10 to 6-2 players next year! Very Happy
Or since Minnesota is almost Canada and almost Iowa, we have to try having a Canadian from one of the Iowa schools on the team. Smile

I always thought Gustafson would be worth a look for the Lynx if the Wings ever let her go again. Reeve would appreciate her work ethic, Fowles could take her under her wing & teach her some post moves, and the Lynx have less backup post competition than the Wings do. Plus, Minny’s the closest team to Gustafson’s northwestern Wisconsin hometown Smile
If Shepard had gotten injured even earlier than she did, it might have happened... Shepard got injured in her 6th game, & iirc Gustafson was brought back after the Wings’ 4th game.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/08/19 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn’t even realize Fowles was signed to an extension until after today’s game. I would have hoped for more inspirational play.

Seems like any extension for Augustus will be negotiated as a backup role. Reeve will have to find a way to set aside her maternal feelings towards Augustus.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/23/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the 144

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/naphessa-collier-wnba

This is a long article, and this smaller part at the end is about the WNBA.

Quote:
This first year playing in the WNBA has probably been the craziest of my life. Just sharing the court with the very best in the world — being able to say I’m one of the 144 who are part of this sisterhood that is that WNBA — is something that means more than I can really express.

In the end, I can look back at my time at UConn and say that I’m kind of glad my freshman year was so difficult. In fact, it’s probably a big reason why my transition to the W as a rookie has been pretty natural. Yeah, there’s definitely been a ton of learning experiences, no question. But I’ve been ready for everything that’s come at me because I’ve been preparing to play at this level every day for the past four years.

I’m trying to stay in the moment, but I’m also really excited about what’s ahead. And even though so much about me and my life has changed since that first year of college, when I’m not on the court I still really am the same person.

So to all my book readers out there, and to all my athletes out there, and to all my multidimensional people out there, I’ll say it loud and proud for you….

Yes, I am a woman who gets in the zone by reading mystery novels.

Ruth Ware! Lock in! Let’s go!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/19 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Risky. Remember this list of the oldest players on opening day rosters:

How many of those players were healthy and productive all season?

PostPosted: 09/23/19 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Risky. Remember this list of the oldest players on opening day rosters:

How many of those players were healthy and productive all season?

Why did you cut Angel McCoughtry off the list? She must be pretty close to the top. McCoughtry played almost one full season in the last three. Would it be risky to sign her to a multi year deal? Would you let her walk or just sign her to a one year deal for less “risk”?

The worst thing that happens if an injury would happen is a veteran player who has great mentor value drops down to the #12 spot and everybody else bumps up. Next man up. Apparently, it didn’t work out great for ATL, but look at SEA. Canada stepped up for Bird. SEA fans no longer fear going on without Bird. Russell and Howard both stepped up to fill the Stewart void. Russell evolving is probably a pleasant surprise.

So I suppose Fagbenle stepping up big with more minutes is as inconceivable as Russell doing it. Dantas used to be the center before Fowles arrived. That was working out well, and it might give a chance for Shepard to step up in a starting role.

So I’d say the risk of signing a recent MVP who is enthusiastic to be there for another couple years is pretty minimal. In fact, the greater risk is not to sign her.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Why did you cut Angel McCoughtry off the list? She must be pretty close to the top. McCoughtry played almost one full season in the last three. Would it be risky to sign her to a multi year deal? Would you let her walk or just sign her to a one year deal for less “risk”?

I did the top 10. Angel was 14th.

I would consider it risky to sign her to a multi-year deal.

PostPosted: 09/23/19 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
One of the 144

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/naphessa-collier-wnba

This is a long article, and this smaller part at the end is about the WNBA.

love this article and especially her talking about the UConn experience. thanks for posting.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 09/30/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Napheesa Collier Tells Us What She Learned From Growing Up Tall

https://www.bustle.com/p/napheesa-collier-tells-us-what-she-learned-from-growing-up-tall-18790808

Quote:
In first grade, I remember we would all have to sit next to each other crisscross applesauce. I would have to cross my legs, but I’m also not very flexible. I remember there was so much space between me and the next person because my legs are so much longer — I laughed about that with my friends.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Page 31 of 31

Jump to: