RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

RIP Aron Eisenberg, Star Trek Actor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 09/22/19 7:52 am    ::: RIP Aron Eisenberg, Star Trek Actor. Reply Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/aron-eisenbergwho-played-nog-in-star-trek-deep-space-nine-dies-at-age-50/ar-AAHFGuK

I just watched an episode of DS9 featuring him last night. Just stunned.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
justintyme

PostPosted: 09/22/19 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I alway felt Nog was one of the better developed characters in Star Trek (though that was true for a lot of DS9, which remains my favorite Star Trek from a story perspective).

PostPosted: 09/22/19 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I alway felt Nog was one of the better developed characters in Star Trek (though that was true for a lot of DS9, which remains my favorite Star Trek from a story perspective).

. . . and it's the least re-run of the treks, i've found. even in the foreign countries i've surveyed. bbc america shows "next generation" and "voyager" all the time, but never ds9. the ds9 storylines, as a whole, were better developed - but darker, less fanciful.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TNG and Voyager were more episodic, which re-runs better. DS9 is more serialized, which plays better for binging.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TNG and Voyager were more episodic, which re-runs better. DS9 is more serialized, which plays better for binging.

point taken. btw, i don't remember how they play in the states, but brasil and portugal are notorious for playing two-part episodes . . . apart. so annoying, especially when they've got a marathon going on and part 2 just isn't in the lineup.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

And better for characters development, story arcs, pacing, etc. I love many of the iconic characters (and actors that played them) of TOS, TNG, and Voyager, but when it comes to what I felt was the best written Trek (and thus what I'm naturally the most drawn to) it's DS9, hands down.

For instance, I felt I learned more about Worf, and became much more attached to him as a character, during his run on DS9 than I ever did on TNG.

I've gotten so many of my Star Trek fan friends to go back and watch the whole series on Netflix and to a one they came back and were "How did we miss this, DS9 is lowkey the best Trek".

PostPosted: 09/22/19 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May Aron rest easier knowing he has a lot of great fans.

I'm currently watching DS9 by purchasing episodes from iTunes. I'm in the middle of season 5. Sorry to say, but it didn't grab me back in the day and it still isn't my favorite Star Trek series. (Discovery season 1 is my least fav.) I think DS9 overused the "Runabout passes through a strange anomaly" plot device more than any other series in the Star Trek universe, though every series used the same device more than once. But to me, that got a bit tedious on DS9. They seemed to go through their fair share of runabouts or shuttle more than other shows.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/22/19 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was a real shock to me. Huge fan of Deep Space Nine and I think Nog had one of the best character evolutions throughout the series.

RIP to Aron Eisenberg.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/23/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

One of the things I love about "Discovery" is the fact that it is completely serialized.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/23/19 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nog was such an interesting character.

One of my friends runs the Gaaays In Space social group for Star Trek fans (https://www.gaaaysinspaaace.org/#homepage). He got to meet and become friends with Aron (and Aron's girlfriend and later wife). He said that Aron frequently showed up to events because he was the type of person who was appreciative of all of Star Trek's diverse fans.

Just a devastating loss.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/19 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a place for both serialized and episodic series

With serialization you risk turning your show into a soap opera. Plenty of shows have gotten so bogged down in the interrelationship of the characters that they lose track of what the show is supposedly about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: