RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, now I'm gonna try to shut up about all that off-the-court stuff from here on out (unless critical new developments occur) and stick to the basketball.

It's wildly unlikely now any of Howard, Russell, or Stewart gets traded, so I do wonder how that post rotation will be going forward assuming Russell heads back to the bench. It'll be interesting to see how she does off the bench - hopefully her level of engagement from the bench is the same as being a starter. We know Canada will eventually fully take over for Bird. Russell's path to being a long-term starter is much trickier, unless the Howard-Stewart tandem stops being effective. That's the big question, given neither are true centers. Very hard to say how long that'll work out. And Stewart herself is a slight question mark at least for 2020 due to how she recovers from her achilles tear. Then you add in Magbegor and her relatively unknown potential... I don't even know what position in the W best suits her. At 6'4, I'm putting her down as a PF unless someone with more knowledge convinces me otherwise.

I'd love to trade Langhorne to Phoenix for the 17th (and/or 18th?) Pick - absolutely realistic for both sides considering Tanisha Wright in her final year was technically worth this year's 14th Pick. I'd offer KML to Dallas for Davis and either the 15th or 21st Pick (Davis being a low-risk reclamation project). Or KML to Atlanta for Cazorla (back-up PG with size to guard SGs) or Coffey (that good-sized physical SF we've been looking for).

Regardless of how the draft goes, we better not be content with how our bench looks now, even minus Paris plus Magbegor. Teams like the Sparks and Mystics will be contending next year, and we need a bench to at least sort of match up with theirs if the starters falter/get hurt (like someone randomly breaking their nose again) Embarassed

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep forgetting Magbegor and #7 added to the previously listed players is great

Come playoff time when rotation is shorter and even most of the season Howard and Stewart each playing 30 with Russell who can play with either getting 20 works fine regular season add in Magbegor 10 a night and extend Russell to 25 you can work Stewart back slowly and have more time for rest you can also go big with Stewart and Howard at the 3 and 4 Howard can guard mist 3s and either can go to the 3 sit on offense a few plays a night

Maybe get Pivec , Alaska or Martin at 7 bird Canada Loyd and whitcomb is enough coverage for the 1 and 2 Clark and running a big line up is enough coverage at the 3 the rookie won't get much time but regular season the 7 pick can develop as can Magbegor in certain situations.

If worried I am sure a quality fa vet would love to jiib a stacked championship contender

Seattle is in great shape imo

(must remeber to not post from phone unless I am ok with tons of errors in the post, thanks auto-correct and clumsy fingers).

Last edited by J-Spoon on 09/16/19 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo - KML to Atlanta for Cazorla or Coffey? Atlanta could use a shooter, so maybe. Coffey kind of seemed to get lost on the bench this season, but was Dream's best 3 point shooter (37.9% 22-58 on limited minutes). I guess I would want her more than KML because she can do other things and makes less. A lot of people seemed to like Cazorla, but the stat sheet doesn't. Only Bentley shot worse - but not by much. Bentley (hard as this is to believe) was the Dream's best passer 3.0 APG, 2:1 A:TO and better than Cazorla. So Cazorla for KML is ok by me (until the other Dream/Cazorla fans shoot me.)

Would the Storm like Montgomery back?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I keep forgetting Magbegor and #7 added to the previously listed players is great

Come playoff time when rotation is shorter and even most of the season Howard and Stewart each playing 30 with Russell who can play with either getting 20 works fine regular season add in Magbegor 10 a night and extend Russell to 25 you can work Stewart back slowly and have more time for rest you can also go big with Stewart and Howard at the 3 and 4 Howard can guard mist 3s and either can go to the 3 sit on offense a few plays a night

Maybe get Pivec , Alaska or Martin at 7 bird Canada Loyd and whitcomb is enough coverage for the 1 and 2 Clark and running a big line up is enough coverage at the 3 the rookie won't get much time but regular season the 7 pick can develop as can Magbegor in certain situations.

If worried I am sure a quality fa vet would love to jiib a stacked championship contender

Seattle is in great shape imo

Yeah our post play should be great next year with those four - the team can work with whatever level of health Stewart's at so long as she doesn't suffer any setbacks. At 7, I like the idea of local-product Pivec taking Zellous' spot (similar profiles imo). Laksa (unless you meant someone else... Ruthy Hebard's from Alaska Laughing ) being another pure shooter is a bit redundant given Whitcomb, regardless of KML being there imo. As for Martin... not worth the baggage Neutral Nevertheless, as long as we don't trade that pick, I'll probably be excited for whoever it is tbh. In terms of free agents, I'd rather keep a young player with some potential on the roster rather than a more expensive player that probably won't get much playing time anyway. I'd only go after a good free agent if one of our starters is injured long-term at the start of the year, god forbid.

Randy wrote:
Stormeo - KML to Atlanta for Cazorla or Coffey? Atlanta could use a shooter, so maybe. Coffey kind of seemed to get lost on the bench this season, but was Dream's best 3 point shooter (37.9% 22-58 on limited minutes). I guess I would want her more than KML because she can do other things and makes less. A lot of people seemed to like Cazorla, but the stat sheet doesn't. Only Bentley shot worse - but not by much. Bentley (hard as this is to believe) was the Dream's best passer 3.0 APG, 2:1 A:TO and better than Cazorla. So Cazorla for KML is ok by me (until the other Dream/Cazorla fans shoot me.)

Would the Storm like Montgomery back?

I'd even do KML + our 2nd rounder for one of the Dream players I mentioned at this point haha. To me, it would be worth it. Be warned though: KML can't seem to get many shots off at a time, and the ones she does get off she makes them a bit less than she should Laughing If she ever had to start alongside someone like McCoughtry though, they imo would be really interesting perimeter complements to each other... and we all know now how McCoughtry makes everyone around her better Wink

Getting Montgomery back? I know she and Bird are friends, but didn't she sign with Atlanta cuz she bought a house there? So nah, she and her career 38% from the field & 34% from 3 can stay put Very Happy

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/17/19 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KML's value is zero ... please.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird
Loyd
Howard
Stewart
Russell

Doubt Hughes would try it though..

PostPosted: 09/17/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Canada, Whitcomb, Zellous, Langhorne and Russell would be one of the best benches in the league

That's an average bench.....Langhorn and Zallous should follow Paris out the door.

Canada and Russell are both options to win 6thplayer of the year next season. To have them come off the bench next year is pretty cool Cool i wouldnt call that average
I also think Sami will benefit from the return of Bird and Stewie

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 09/18/19 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Regardless of how the draft goes, we better not be content with how our bench looks now, even minus Paris plus Magbegor. Teams like the Sparks and Mystics will be contending next year, and we need a bench to at least sort of match up with theirs if the starters falter/get hurt (like someone randomly breaking their nose again) Embarassed

It is pretty clear from the playoffs this year that the top teams have deep benches. You can keep up with them when you play your starters vs theirs, but when the benches come out, their bench crushes yours, and then when their starters are nicely rested AND have a lead given by their bench, they start to crush the other team's starters who have had to play long minutes. The key to a championship in 2019 and beyond is a deep bench with players that could start on other teams.

The Storm will have that next year. Both Canada and Russell have shown that they could start. Perhaps Sami as well. If you can keep Stewart, Bird, Howard, Clark and Lloyd playing less time but more quality time, then the Storm will be quite potent.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

It is pretty clear from the playoffs this year that the top teams have deep benches. You can keep up with them when you play your starters vs theirs, but when the benches come out, their bench crushes yours, and then when their starters are nicely rested AND have a lead given by their bench, they start to crush the other team's starters who have had to play long minutes. The key to a championship in 2019 and beyond is a deep bench with players that could start on other teams.

That makes this a pretty unusual season, though. Seattle's bench wasn't great last year when they won the title, Reeve has often only had one or two bench players that she actually trusted on Minnesota's title teams, Agler barely used his bench when LA won a couple of years ago, Phoenix's title teams were rarely deep - the list goes on. Typically you've needed seven at most who the coach is going to play to any meaningful extent in big games.

Decent reserves obviously does help guard against injuries and absences, but history in this legue also tends to suggest that if anyone meaningful gets hurt for the year and/or during the playoffs, you're screwed regardless.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You need that 6th and 7th player off the bench that maybe could start on other teams.
In 2010 the Storm had Svetty and Le'coe Willingham and not much else

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 09/19/19 4:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that in the past, you didn’t need the bench strength to win a championship, but I think those times are changing and this year might very well be the bellweather of that change.

PostPosted: 10/31/19 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Golden State Warriors held LGBTQ Night with a panel following the game featuring Golden State COO Rick Welts -- the first openly gay NBA executive -- WNBA and Olympic champion Sue Bird of the Seattle Storm and her partner, Megan Rapinoe, of the World Cup-winning U.S. women's soccer team.

https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401160707

craigmont

PostPosted: 11/29/19 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Bird
Loyd
Howard
Stewart
Russell

Doubt Hughes would try it though..

I love everything about that except that it takes Clark off the floor.

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 11/29/19 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I don't expect to see the same starting line-up as we had back in 2018, I can't see any rush to make any particular changes to it either. Natasha's absolutely in. Steward as well. I can't see one removing Lloyd or Clark right now, and I'd certainly object to it until I'm wowed by the player who comes in for them. Bird is in, until we see some progress in transitioning Canada into her alleged replacement in the PG position, or really until Bird really thinks about retirement. That didn't work out this well this year, and I say that as a Canada fan, but a lot can happen in a year, and from what I can tell it's the only change the Storm are officially planning for, but in time. I also want to watch Sue Bird play, I'm sorry. Laughing

Russell will probably be a kick coming from the bench.

Maybe if the league finally makes some conclusion in regards to DV allegations against Howard, and that's not in favour of Howard, Howard may sit for 10 games, moving Stewie to the 4th spot, and putting Russell in. Is that a sane line-up?

Maybe we'd see a lot less from Langhorne, not as an indictment of her play, but there's an overload of good F/C players - Steward, Howard, Russell, Magbegor will play in the frontcourt, Clark, KML, and even Howard and Sami can play in the 3rd spot. With a lot minutes from all of those players, there might be games where we don't see Langhorne at all.

I wonder, with the way the Storm suffered many games without a player suitable for the PG spot, and no Jewell in the SG spot, will the Storm be looking for a guard with their 7th first round pick, even with Bird healthy?

I haven't seen Magbegor play, though. Just heard that's she's good.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/29/19 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
While I don't expect to see the same starting line-up as we had back in 2018, I can't see any rush to make any particular changes to it either. Natasha's absolutely in. Steward as well. I can't see one removing Lloyd or Clark right now, and I'd certainly object to it until I'm wowed by the player who comes in for them.

Keep the status quo.

PicknLOL wrote:
Bird is in, until we see some progress in transitioning Canada into her alleged replacement in the PG position, or really until Bird really thinks about retirement.

Not a very bold prediction, but the Bird retirement should happen after the next WNBA season.

PicknLOL wrote:
That didn't work out this well this year, and I say that as a Canada fan, but a lot can happen in a year, and from what I can tell it's the only change the Storm are officially planning for, but in time. I also want to watch Sue Bird play, I'm sorry. Laughing

You must be the second coming of Michelle.

PicknLOL wrote:
Russell will probably be a kick coming from the bench.

You don’t have to abuse her.

PicknLOL wrote:
Maybe if the league finally makes some conclusion in regards to DV allegations against Howard, and that's not in favour of Howard, Howard may sit for 10 games, moving Stewie to the 4th spot, and putting Russell in. Is that a sane line-up?

There is nothing to those allegations, nothing to substantiate them other than unverified accusations made over social media. No arrests were made, probably because making a false police report can get you into big trouble.

PicknLOL wrote:
Maybe we'd see a lot less from Langhorne, not as an indictment of her play, but there's an overload of good F/C players - Steward, Howard, Russell, Magbegor will play in the frontcourt, Clark, KML, and even Howard and Sami can play in the 3rd spot. With a lot minutes from all of those players, there might be games where we don't see Langhorne at all.

You won’t see Langhorne a lot of games because she won’t be on the team, unless somebody else like Russell gets traded.

PicknLOL wrote:
I wonder, with the way the Storm suffered many games without a player suitable for the PG spot, and no Jewell in the SG spot, will the Storm be looking for a guard with their 7th first round pick, even with Bird healthy?

A guard will probably be it, since there’s really no room for any other position. Zellous is replaceable.

Maybe a player from Oregon St would be a fitter?

PicknLOL wrote:
I haven't seen Magbegor play, though. Just heard that's she's good.

I have been hearing tings.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/29/19 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see this reported anywhere else:

Quote:
Allen played for three seasons with both players and has backed Westbeld to fit with the Lightning who had to let WNBA import Crystal Langhorne head back to the US for knee surgery.

https://www.newsline.com.au/2019/11/21/boomers-work-to-boost-spirits-of-heartbroken-tall-fern-teammates/

Quote:
ADELAIDE Lightning have signed talented US “big” Kathryn Westbeld as their replacement WNBL import for injured Crystal Langhorne, who is recovering from knee surgery.

http://wnbl.basketball/adelaide/news/lightning-secures-us-college-champion/

I was looking at the WNBL stats, and I noticed that Langhorne has played only one game. So, I went searching for more information and those are the two entries I found.

PostPosted: 11/29/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, i wouldn't expect Langhorne back in a Storm uniform in 2020 as long as Magbegor shows up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/29/19 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Well, i wouldn't expect Langhorne back in a Storm uniform in 2020 as long as Magbegor shows up.

She was the 7th player in their rotation in 2019. Plenty of dross to cut off the end of the bench before you get to her, if she's healthy.

Magbegor currently getting pretty comfortably overshadowed by the immortal Cayla George on her WNBL team, by the way. She's still very much a project.

PostPosted: 11/29/19 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

She was the 7th player in their rotation in 2019. Plenty of dross to cut off the end of the bench before you get to her, if she's healthy.

Magbegor currently getting pretty comfortably overshadowed by the immortal Cayla George on her WNBL team, by the way. She's still very much a project.

Agreed.
Although I'll qualify that by adding that Magbegor's game won't be hurt as badly by the step up from WNBL to WNBA caliber as George's is. But yeah she is hardly tearing the league up. Size advantage was a large part of her dominance at junior level, and she doesn't have that anymore.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Although I'll qualify that by adding that Magbegor's game won't be hurt as badly by the step up from WNBL to WNBA caliber as George's is.

Yeah, that's fair. All they'll really ask her to do is rebound, be athletic and play defense - similar to what they ask of Russell. But if someone was really going to make a meaningful immediate impact in the WNBA you'd like them to be more impactful in the WNBL.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Keep the status quo.

Status quo 2018 or 2019? Smile

If we start

Bird
Loyd
Clark
Howard
Stewart

with a bench of

Canada
Russell
Whitcomb

that's a pretty strong core rotation right there.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/30/19 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Shades wrote:

Keep the status quo.

Status quo 2018 or 2019? Smile

If we start

Bird
Loyd
Clark
Howard
Stewart

with a bench of

Canada
Russell
Whitcomb

that's a pretty strong core rotation right there.

Assuming reasonably healthy - Title contender if not favorite.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/01/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm can possibly be deeper in 2020 than they were in 2018. They can let KML go elsewhere.

PG: Bird/Canada
SG: Loyd/Whitcomb
SF: Clark/#7 pick/Zellous?
PF: Stewart/Magbegor/Langhorne?
C: Howard/Russell

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/01/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
They can let KML go elsewhere.

Guaranteed money if you believe Megdal's sheet. So not necessarily.

PostPosted: 12/04/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Stewie a UFA? How do we know for sure that she's coming back to Seattle?

Was her contract somehow suspended or extended for a year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: