RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/11/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If NY gets the #1 pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they retained Katie.
"Thank you for the tank job. Now win us a championship in Brooklyn!"

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/11/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw nothing that made me think the Liberty weren't trying to win games this season. They lost because they're a bad team. The only question is how much blame do we place on the players and how much goes to the coach or management.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I saw nothing that made me think the Liberty weren't trying to win games this season. They lost because they're a bad team. The only question is how much blame do we place on the players and how much goes to the coach or management.

Yes on all counts.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder when the lottery will be.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

This will either be during playoffs or we know it's CBA dependent and in case of B who knows

PostPosted: 09/11/19 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

This will either be during playoffs or we know it's CBA dependent and in case of B who knows

New CBA is changing it to Alphabetic Order by franchise names.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 09/11/19 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

New CBA is changing it to Alphabetic Order by franchise names.

Effective immediately, the Liberty shall be known as the Astoria Liberty. . Ionescu, come on down! (It was either Astoria or Alibaba, as the Atlantic Ave that Barclays is on isn’t ahead of Atlanta. Astoria was the first thing that popped up on the map in the greater Mew York area.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/12/19 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Effective immediately, the Liberty shall be known as the Astoria Liberty. . Ionescu, come on down! (It was either Astoria or Alibaba, as the Atlantic Ave that Barclays is on isn’t ahead of Atlanta. Astoria was the first thing that popped up on the map in the greater Mew York area.

The Astoria Liberty sounds great! If we can only have 12 home games in Brooklyn in 2020, how about having the other five outdoors in Astoria Park rather than the Nassau Coliseum? Swim in Astoria Pool before the game. Wonderful Greek food, Egyptian food, and Czech food nearby. And Astoria is easy to reach by subway.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/12/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1172157112153268225

Quote:
The day the @WNBA semifinals start is the day we'll find out who has the No. 1 pick in the 2020 draft.
@WNBA draft lottery is Sept. 17 during halftime of first semifinal game, which is at 6:30 p.m. ET.

PostPosted: 09/12/19 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got it...glad to see but crossing fingers and toes for Tuesday I know I'll be there early

PostPosted: 09/13/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/nyliberty/status/1172530680573628416?s=19

Great PR

Unity day is great for this

Now keia and Tina on CNN

GREAT JOB

Make all the on court changes you want but off court promotion

In with Keia Clarke!!!

PostPosted: 09/13/19 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
https://twitter.com/nyliberty/status/1172530680573628416?s=19

Great PR

Unity day is great for this

Now keia and Tina on CNN

GREAT JOB

Make all the on court changes you want but off court promotion

In with Keia Clarke!!!

Terrific to speak out on these crucial issues. Thanks for posting this.

Angus24

PostPosted: 09/13/19 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody remember the 2004 season?

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/13/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:

That was the year I got drunk and passed out.

PostPosted: 09/13/19 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:

Why you say that not doing radio City again lollollol

PostPosted: 09/13/19 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have an old tape of home opener at the Garden 2004. Comets in town to play the Libs. Hammon running the point with VJ, Crystal, Barranova, Phillups, etc. Big guns for the Comets were Swoopes and Thompson. Thompson career high 33 and Hammon 23 were top scorers. Libs won by 2 or 3 points.Fun game to watch.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/13/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
I have an old tape of home opener at the Garden 2004. Comets in town to play the Libs. Hammon running the point with VJ, Crystal, Barranova, Phillups, etc. Big guns for the Comets were Swoopes and Thompson. Thompson career high 33 and Hammon 23 were top scorers. Libs won by 2 or 3 points.Fun game to watch.

You should post on youtube ! WNBA Classics , i love watching them online .

PostPosted: 09/13/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Angus24 wrote:

You should post on youtube ! WNBA Classics , i love watching them online .

Yes Angus24 pleas post it on you tube Im sure lots of fans
would love to watch the game

Its nice to see you posting again

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/14/19 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here we are, 3 days away from what is potentially the most significant moment in NY Liberty history. Yes, it's that big...and yes I am that much of a combo of nervous and excited.

I've read the critiques in various places about Ionescu's relative lack of athleticism. All I have to say about that is to me Ionescu's floor is being a 5'10" version of Courtney Vandersloot with a better outside shot and more ability to get her own shot. Literally, that's her floor. She would make the Libs better in scoring, passing and rebounding...all 3 by a considerable amount. If her floor is a taller, better scoring version of the best passing guard in the league, then sign me up, man.

We have the obvious 44% of getting the top pick. Then there's Dallas, who would have a considerable PG logjam if they get #1...and Cox (who they have a major need for) is probably close enough to Ionescu in terms of value that they'd actively consider a trade involving a 1-2 flip flop.

Otherwise trying not to get ahead of myself. But a scenario where either of the above two outcomes don't happen would be a major disappointment. Indiana might be on the fence about Cox/Ionescu as well, but they don't really need Cox any more than Ionescu from a positional standpoint.

When you really think about it, Ionescu would be the best all-around offensive player the Liberty have ever had. In spite of a fairly strong history of performance, the Liberty have had only 2 elite scorers (Tina, Cappie) in their history. And both were acquired at a time where they were just entering their prime years.

So...here's hoping. I'm really, really glad we don't have to wait long for our draft position. No matter what happens Tuesday we can foresee some potential scenarios. I'd love to be able to end all speculation and possible scenarios with #1 though. Not having to wonder where a major part of our offseason is going would be great.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
So here we are, 3 days away from what is potentially the most significant moment in NY Liberty history. Yes, it's that big...and yes I am that much of a combo of nervous and excited.

This is the second time this year for NY basketball fans. Remember the "Zion or bust" Knick fans? Of course, even though the Knicks finished last, they had to share the best odds with Cleveland and it was only 14% for #1. The Knicks ended up with #3 and RJ Barrett.

The really lucky people are metro area hockey fans. In a draft where Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko were head and shoulders above everybody else, the Devils jumped up from third-best odds to get #1 and the Rangers leapfrogged over four teams to get #2. A double dose of great fortune. However, did the NHL teams use up all our metro area good luck?

Since who NY picks at #1 or #2 looks like a no-brainer, I've been focused on #3. My gut feeling is that Chennedy Carter comes out early. From what I've read, she is all basketball. I would guess someone like that wants to start her career as soon as possible. You and I have debated this for the last couple of months. You think Carter would be a bad fit. I think she would be the clear best player available (assuming Sabally doesn't come out), and the fact that USA Basketball has chosen her three times indicates Carter is not necessarily the problem child fans make her out to be.

Obviously, the opinion that actually counts belongs to Liberty management. If Katie Smith is still here, it would be an interesting decision. I can see her preferring someone with a more conservative profile like Dangerfield. Crystal is also the better playmaker and defender. Her size is a concern, but with Leilani Mitchell and Jordin Canada both having good seasons, this is the year to make your case if you're an undersized player. Even Ogunbowale is no giant at 5-8, and teeny-tiny Brooke McCarty survived a full season in the WNBA. So, Dangerfield is looking more viable now than just four months ago. As for Carter, Katie has been saying she needs a scorer at PG, and she particularly wants "creative guards" which I interpret as people who can create their own shot. That would certainly favor taking Carter.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going purely by the numbers, NY gets the No. 1. If there are some lucky ping pong balls involved then:

1.) NY wins - because it has a new owner and lucky ping pong balls like new owners (see the Aces.)
2.) Dallas wins - because it is a West team and lucky ping pong balls like West teams. (Too many examples to bother listing.)
3.) Atlanta wins - because it lucky ping pong balls love the undeserving team - (Sparks w Parker, Nneka, Lynx w Moore, Mercury w Griner, Storm 2x winners, Aces 3x winners) and Atlanta is the only team to win before.
4.) Winning pick will be traded to a team like the Sparks, Storm, Lynx or Mercury. Lucky ping pong balls love these teams and hate the 4 in lottery now.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/14/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

This is the second time this year for NY basketball fans. Remember the "Zion or bust" Knick fans? Of course, even though the Knicks finished last, they had to share the best odds with Cleveland and it was only 14% for #1. The Knicks ended up with #3 and RJ Barrett.

The really lucky people are metro area hockey fans. In a draft where Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko were head and shoulders above everybody else, the Devils jumped up from third-best odds to get #1 and the Rangers leapfrogged over four teams to get #2. A double dose of great fortune. However, did the NHL teams use up all our metro area good luck?

Since who NY picks at #1 or #2 looks like a no-brainer, I've been focused on #3. My gut feeling is that Chennedy Carter comes out early. From what I've read, she is all basketball. I would guess someone like that wants to start her career as soon as possible. You and I have debated this for the last couple of months. You think Carter would be a bad fit. I think she would be the clear best player available (assuming Sabally doesn't come out), and the fact that USA Basketball has chosen her three times indicates Carter is not necessarily the problem child fans make her out to be.

Obviously, the opinion that actually counts belongs to Liberty management. If Katie Smith is still here, it would be an interesting decision. I can see her preferring someone with a more conservative profile like Dangerfield. Crystal is also the better playmaker and defender. Her size is a concern, but with Leilani Mitchell and Jordin Canada both having good seasons, this is the year to make your case if you're an undersized player. Even Ogunbowale is no giant at 5-8, and teeny-tiny Brooke McCarty survived a full season in the WNBA. So, Dangerfield is looking more viable now than just four months ago. As for Carter, Katie has been saying she needs a scorer at PG, and she particularly wants "creative guards" which I interpret as people who can create their own shot. That would certainly favor taking Carter.

The thing about Carter that I don't like with the height is her approach to the game in general. At her height, you have to be willing to distribute the ball, which is something that both Lei and Canada do extremely well. I can't say that Carter is a problem child or whatever, but her approach to the game is one of a player who thinks she is far and away the best option on the floor at all times. She shoots 30% of her team's FG attempts at a rate of 40% makes. This is mitigated somewhat by her ability to get to the foul line, but now if you combine FGA and shooting attempts that lead to FT, she's probably close to 40% of her team's offense. That's while having slightly more turnovers than assists. On NY, Tina's going to need her looks. You'd like for Durr and Nurse to get their touches. In Durr's case. you'd like her to be a more significant part of the offense next year. If Carter is the pick, will Durr touch the ball with any kind of consistency? I think that's a fair question. On the Liberty, Carter would become the team's fourth-best player. Will she be willing to perform in that type of role? From what I see I think there's no chance at all.

Atlanta has that miniscule chance of #1. In the extremely unlikely event that Atlanta gets it and NY falls to #3, I could see a scenario where Atlanta would value Carter. Yes, Atlanta has some high-volume shooters, but Carter would fit their pace of play and approach.

The other piece being, if Katie is still the coach, I'd strongly feel she'd want a PG who's a willing passer with an approach that is more facilitator than scorer.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 09/14/19 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/14/19 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Going purely by the numbers, NY gets the No. 1. If there are some lucky ping pong balls involved then:

1.) NY wins - because it has a new owner and lucky ping pong balls like new owners (see the Aces.)
2.) Dallas wins - because it is a West team and lucky ping pong balls like West teams. (Too many examples to bother listing.)
3.) Atlanta wins - because it lucky ping pong balls love the undeserving team - (Sparks w Parker, Nneka, Lynx w Moore, Mercury w Griner, Storm 2x winners, Aces 3x winners) and Atlanta is the only team to win before.
4.) Winning pick will be traded to a team like the Sparks, Storm, Lynx or Mercury. Lucky ping pong balls love these teams and hate the 4 in lottery now.

Screw the ping-pong balls! Get a giant-sized lottery machine and use basketballs instead.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is a brilliant idea. The (W)NBA should do that and hold the lottery in a public park somewhere.

BTW NYL_....- Atlanta takes Ionescu at 1 probably Cox at 2. If Carter comes out then I'd be happy if we could get her at 4. Dream need some excitement.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta's not getting the #1 pick

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 3 of 111

Jump to: