RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:58 pm    ::: Phoenix Mercury 2020 Reply Reply with quote

So depending on what Mitchell’s contract looks like after the Merc cut-and-re-signed her at the start of the season, it looks like Phoenix would only have five or six signed players through next season: Taurasi, January, Cunningham, Smith, and B. Turner. Camille Little AND Sancho Lyttle are now retired. Everyone else is some kind of free agent before coring/restricted/reserved statuses come into play: Bonner, Carson, Griner, and Y. Turner. If Coring still exists after the new CBA goes into effect, the Merc would still only be able to choose one player, and it would likely be between Griner and Bonner.

Phoenix’s roster IF the aforementioned re-signs:

PG: Mitchell/January
SG: Taurasi/Y. Turner
SF: Carson/Cunningham
PF: Bonner/Smith
C: Griner/B. Turner

Phoenix will have the 5th, 17th, 18th (from MIN), and 29th Picks. There are open spots as it is, and more could open up if others aren't re-signed.

Since it’s an Olympic year, Mitchell & Smith (Australia) may not be fully available. If Mitchell is indeed a free agent, maybe she doesn't re-sign with the team this season, or waits until after the Olympics to do so.

Brondello also still coaches the Australian National Team, and so long as she returns to the Merc for 2020, she’ll have a make-or-break year as a coach imo. Phoenix will surely need its main core as healthy as possible to make another title run, but they'll still need to add some complementary talent - particularly of the scoring variety.

Last edited by Stormeo on 09/14/19 1:39 am; edited 4 times in total
toad455

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lyttle should retire. If Griner tore her ACL, they need to draft a post at #5. Maybe Sabally enters early? Otherwise it'll be between Mompremier or Hebert.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If Griner tore her ACL.

It looked like knee to knee contact, doubt it’s an ACL.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
toad455 wrote:
If Griner tore her ACL.

For her and honestly everyone's sake, let's hope not. I tend to always assume the worst Confused

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
toad455 wrote:
If Griner tore her ACL.

For her and honestly everyone's sake, let's hope not. I tend to always assume the worst Confused

And I would at least hope the Mercury wouldn’t put a player back in the game that just tore her ACL. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
toad455 wrote:
If Griner tore her ACL.

And I would at least hope the Mercury wouldn’t put a player back in the game that just tore her ACL. Laughing

Oh F#&%! I totally missed the beginning of the third quarter and didn't see that!!!

Embarassed I'M BOO BOO THE FOOL Embarassed

OK I'm gonna edit out all that ACL sh!t at the top here so that I don't scare anyone...

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
toad455 wrote:
If Griner tore her ACL.

You mean like the Warriors did with Klay Thompson? Razz

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/11/19 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
toad455 wrote:
If Griner tore her ACL.

You mean like the Warriors did with Klay Thompson? Razz

Touché. Laughing

Warriors had so many damn injuries I lost count.

PostPosted: 09/12/19 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Postgame Presser (at the 11:07 mark), Brondello said when Quigley ran into Griner's knee, it "moved her kneecap", and she also went to say "it's not an ACL, but something's going on there, it's quite painful". Glad the staff's convinced it's not an ACL, hopefully it's nothing more than like a bone bruise.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/12/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
In the Postgame Presser (at the 11:07 mark), Brondello said when Quigley ran into Griner's knee, it "moved her kneecap", and she also went to say "it's not an ACL, but something's going on there, it's quite painful". Glad the staff's convinced it's not an ACL, hopefully it's nothing more than like a bone bruise.

Could be meniscus, but that’s nice to hear.

I don’t think it’s all that uncommon for players to go back into games. I remember Jessica Moore went back in and played well in a championship game. Sometimes players are tight when they do the test and the test is inaccurate.

We need a post anyway.

Assuming we’re trying to win now, and Taurasi is good to go (and Father Time hasn’t gotten her) Phoenix will still be in win now. DT/Mitch/January/Turner are a good backcourt.

I think B. Turner and Cunningham have promise. Would like to see Cunningham develop as a Talbot type player.

But we really need to focus on the 3/4 spot.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 09/12/19 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I was Phoenix, I would...

Offer Chicago the #5 pk for Lavender, Samuelson and Chicago's 1st rd pk (8th)

The Mercury get a starting PF and sharpshooter off the bench.....Chicago moves 3 slots up the draft board from #8 to #5

G-Mitchell/January
G-Taurasi/Y.Turner
C-Griner/B.Turner
F-Lavender/B.Turner/Samuelson
F-Bonner/Carson/Cunningham

OR

Offer Ndour a max deal and keep the 5th overall pick. (Chicago should match, but I'm not sure they will)

G-Mitchell/January
G-Taurasi/Y.Turner
C-Griner/B.Turner
F-Ndour/#5 pk/Smith

Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me the biggest question for the Mercury is how long do they try to keep chasing a championship with a roster full of old and increasingly injury prone players. Taurasi, January and Mitchell appear to be under contract for next season, so I guess those 3 (and I assume Griner and Bonner) are locked in place. I'd not bring Lyttle or Carson back, unless there are no suitable replacements. When Lyttle was healthy a few years ago, she was a great fit, so I'd look for a younger player in the same mold.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/12/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/jeffmetcalfe/status/1172244796078985221

Quote:
Diana Taurasi says she is definitely returning for 2020 #wnba season and wants to play in her fifth Olympics

PostPosted: 09/12/19 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
If I was Phoenix, I would...

Offer Chicago the #5 pk for Lavender, Samuelson and Chicago's 1st rd pk (8th)

The Mercury get a starting PF and sharpshooter off the bench.....Chicago moves 3 slots up the draft board from #8 to #5

G-Mitchell/January
G-Taurasi/Y.Turner
C-Griner/B.Turner
F-Lavender/B.Turner/Samuelson

OR

Offer Ndour a max deal and keep the 5th overall pick. (Chicago should match, but I'm not sure they will)

G-Mitchell/January
G-Taurasi/Y.Turner
C-Griner/B.Turner
F-Ndour/#5 pk/Smith

Samuelson's mom would approve of this trade. The drawback is that she comes along.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/12/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also the drawback that Chicago would laugh them off the phone.

PostPosted: 09/12/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
There's also the drawback that Chicago would laugh them off the phone.

I'm not so sure about that...I don't think Chicago has enough cap space to sign Ndour/Copper and keep Lavender. Plus they still need to sign Dolson,Sloot and Quigley.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/12/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about a simple 3-way trade: PHO gets Kelsey Plum, CHI gets the #5, and LVA gets Katie Lou Samuelson. Why would the Merc do this? If they want an additional scorer off the bench, and then eventually as a starter after 2020, and don’t feel they can get one in the upcoming draft. Phoenix’s ballhandlers are all several years past 30, so Plum would take over for whichever starter retires first. The Merc might prioritize adding a pure scorer as opposed to just getting another backup post. #5 might seem like too much for Plum, but to me that seems about right, as the draft pool is now.
...But it does feel too early to seriously speculate on Phoenix’s roster, given how many unsigned players there are and the fact that it seems anyone could retire at a moment’s notice.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/12/19 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
How about a simple 3-way trade: PHO gets Kelsey Plum, CHI gets the #5, and LVA gets Katie Lou Samuelson. Why would the Merc do this? If they want an additional scorer off the bench, and then eventually as a starter after 2020, and don’t feel they can get one in the upcoming draft. Phoenix’s ballhandlers are all several years past 30, so Plum would take over for whichever starter retires first. The Merc might prioritize adding a pure scorer as opposed to just getting another backup post. #5 might seem like too much for Plum, but to me that seems about right, as the draft pool is now.
...But it does feel too early to seriously speculate on Phoenix’s roster, given how many unsigned players there are and the fact that it seems anyone could retire at a moment’s notice.

If Chicago re-signs Copper I think they would make this trade. Not so sure about Phoenix and LV.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/12/19 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

If Chicago re-signs Copper I think they would make this trade. Not so sure about Phoenix and LV.

To me it almost makes the least sense for Chicago, in the sense that they’re trying to contend now & not get younger. But a contending team would also want to eliminate the most potential distractions... and if Ndour spends even part of 2020 prepping for the Olympics, Chicago will need another actual post player (or two). No more using true wings from UCONN in the trenches!
As for Vegas, they’d get their future starting SF who has the length and shooting they’d need. And maybe Colson & Prince would give them enough backcourt depth to spell the starters. Tamera Young won’t be around forever (she should barely be around now imo) so Vegas’ll really need to get a SF at some point.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/12/19 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

To me it almost makes the least sense for Chicago, in the sense that they’re trying to contend now & not get younger. But a contending team would also want to eliminate the most potential distractions... and if Ndour spends even part of 2020 prepping for the Olympics, Chicago will need another actual post player (or two). No more using true wings from UCONN in the trenches!
As for Vegas, they’d get their future starting SF who has the length and shooting they’d need. And maybe Colson & Prince would give them enough backcourt depth to spell the starters. Tamera Young won’t be around forever (she should barely be around now imo) so Vegas’ll really need to get a SF at some point.

Even if Ndour did not show up in 2020 the Sky would still have Dolson,Parker,Lavender and the option of re-signing Alexander. Post depth would not be an issue. I really like Samuelson's upside. I just don't think there are enough minutes to keep Copper and Samuelson satisfied. Samuelson on LV would be a great fit. The Aces could definitely use a catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. Plum is most effective when the ball is in her hands. She's more efficient shooting the ball off the dribble. I'm not sure this trade works for Phoenix. Plum would basically be getting traded to the same situation.

That being said, we still need to see how this season plays out. I for one think Plum can thrive in her new bench role. If LV gets to the finals with Plum being a major contributor off the bench, I think she stays with LV.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/12/19 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Even if Ndour did not show up in 2020 the Sky would still have Dolson,Parker,Lavender and the option of re-signing Alexander. Post depth would not be an issue. I really like Samuelson's upside. I just don't think there are enough minutes to keep Copper and Samuelson satisfied. Samuelson on LV would be a great fit. The Aces could definitely use a catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. Plum is most effective when the ball is in her hands. She's more efficient shooting the ball off the dribble. I'm not sure this trade works for Phoenix. Plum would basically be getting traded to the same situation.

That being said, we still need to see how this season plays out. I for one think Plum can thrive in her new bench role. If LV gets to the finals with Plum being a major contributor off the bench, I think she stays with LV.

Indeed, Plum’s postseason play will be very telling of her Vegas future. But Vegas realistically has no other tradeable assets, and even now they need a solid SF. It’s very possible a free agent will fit that, though I can’t think of any obvious candidates. I doubt they trade J. Young or McBride (for different reasons), and it’s harder to get a true 3 than a combo guard.
I also wonder if Plum would be content coming off the bench for what might be the rest of her Vegas career. She might be. She also might start anyway one year if a starting guard (god forbid) gets injured for a whole season. It’s just as possible Laimbeer of all coaches shops her & sees what he can get. It’d be nice for her sake if she stayed on the west coast, and in Phoenix, she’d have a good chance to start after 2020.

As for Chicago, I don’t see Alexander as anything more than a result of Lavender’s injury. She just wouldn’t add anything dynamic to the existing 4 posts. What Chicago could use is a quicker true PF. In terms of Copper... maybe Vegas throws a guaranteed near-max at her & see if Chicago dares to match. Copper won’t be leaving the bench anytime soon for the Sky imo, so unless Chicago thinks otherwise, matching a contract like that makes little sense.

But yeah, def too early to get real into it, at least until after the playoffs. I even said as much earlier, yet... here I am not following my own advice & getting real into it Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/13/19 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Indeed, Plum’s postseason play will be very telling of her Vegas future. But Vegas realistically has no other tradeable assets, and even now they need a solid SF. It’s very possible a free agent will fit that, though I can’t think of any obvious candidates. I doubt they trade J. Young or McBride (for different reasons), and it’s harder to get a true 3 than a combo guard.
I also wonder if Plum would be content coming off the bench for what might be the rest of her Vegas career. She might be. She also might start anyway one year if a starting guard (god forbid) gets injured for a whole season. It’s just as possible Laimbeer of all coaches shops her & sees what he can get. It’d be nice for her sake if she stayed on the west coast, and in Phoenix, she’d have a good chance to start after 2020.

As for Chicago, I don’t see Alexander as anything more than a result of Lavender’s injury. She just wouldn’t add anything dynamic to the existing 4 posts. What Chicago could use is a quicker true PF. In terms of Copper... maybe Vegas throws a guaranteed near-max at her & see if Chicago dares to match. Copper won’t be leaving the bench anytime soon for the Sky imo, so unless Chicago thinks otherwise, matching a contract like that makes little sense.

But yeah, def too early to get real into it, at least until after the playoffs. I even said as much earlier, yet... here I am not following my own advice & getting real into it Laughing

Why would Chicago want a pick instead of just getting Plum outright? She is one her rookie scale for one more season, and then who knows what happens in the next contract.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/13/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Why would Chicago want a pick instead of just getting Plum outright? She is one her rookie scale for one more season, and then who knows what happens in the next contract.

I dpn't think Chicago is going to have the cap space

Max/near max players:
Sloot
Quigley
Dolson
Parker
Lavender

Ndour/Copper(UFA) will be FA after this season.....Diamond/Gabby will be URF after the 2021 season.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/13/19 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/13/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Max/near max players:
Sloot
Quigley
Dolson
Parker
Lavender

Ndour/Copper(URF) will be FA after this season.....Diamond/Gabby will be URF after the 2021 season.

But they have cap space now, because she is on the rookie scale. They want to win. Take the good player, and figure the contracts out later.

If nothing else they get a better player next year than anything they would expect at No. 5 (especially given the nonsense Chicago usually drafts).

zune69

PostPosted: 09/13/19 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Max/near max players:
Sloot
Quigley
Dolson
Parker
Lavender

Ndour/Copper(URF) will be FA after this season.....Diamond/Gabby will be URF after the 2021 season.

But they have cap space now, because she is on the rookie scale. They want to win. Take the good player, and figure the contracts out later.

If nothing else they get a better player next year than anything they would expect at No. 5 (especially given the nonsense Chicago usually drafts).

I honestly don't see where Plum fits on Chicago's current roster. Sloot is a 30 mpg player. Playing Sloot/Plum together would negatively effect Chicago's defense. Plum becoming an UFA after next season would also be an issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: