1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 65

pilight

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:34 am    ::: ROY Reply Reply with quote

Final Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.bball-index.com/wnba-rookie-of-the-year-collier-ogunbowale/

This is an extremely well done and balanced look at the ROY race.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

That was good.
The author seemed to highlight a lot of positives of both players, which was quite a strange and unique approach. The article was also lacking in disparaging comments towards the player who wasn't the author's personal favourite. Other than that obvious failing it was well worth a read.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

That's a good article. I'm with Collier, but I don't think Ogunbowale is an unreasonable choice.

FWIW, Five previous rookies have scored 600+points. Four of them won ROY, the fifth one finished second behind a rookie who scored 700+ points.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FWIW, Five previous rookies have scored 600+points. Four of them won ROY, the fifth one finished second behind a rookie who scored 700+ points.

My guess (without doing any research) is that this is Cappie Pondexter, who finished behind Seimone Augustus in 2006.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/11/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

My guess (without doing any research) is that this is Cappie Pondexter, who finished behind Seimone Augustus in 2006.

That's correct

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Collier and knowledgeable rebkell members.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Congrats to Collier and knowledgeable rebkell members.

Someone needs to check up on 09.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Why so? I’m great I still would keep arike over any rookie this season . 5 years from now I’ll have the smirk prepared. Congrats the Napheesa btw she’s legit !

Collier with 8 votes
Arike got 6 votes so 1 person made the difference in CO-ROY . Damn you Pam Ward Laughing

PostPosted: 09/11/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I must say that I am surprised. I thought the voters would place points above everything else. No offense to Arike or the people who supported her, but I think that this was a special example where they were justified in doing so.

I think supporters of both players will have a smirk on their faces 5 years from now. This argument of who is better might well be raging still.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/11/19 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think McCowan will end up having the greatest impact out of all the current rookies, but I see many of these rookies having great careers.

I still don't have a clue as to who of the 2017 class will have the, uhh, "greatest" impact. Almost all of those players have had messy careers thus far, other than probably Allisha Gray. Still pulling for my fellow UW alum Plum to come through, but it's just not gonna happen in Vegas unless she really embraces a 6th-man role (which would be much to my chagrin - any former #1 Pick really shouldn't spend the bulk of their career off the bench Evil or Very Mad ).

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/11/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Laughing Why so? I’m great I still would keep arike over any rookie this season . 5 years from now I’ll have the smirk prepared. Congrats the Napheesa btw she’s legit !

Collier with 8 votes
Arike got 6 votes so 1 person made the difference in CO-ROY . Damn you Pam Ward Laughing

But it won't matter since the Sky will probably win the title every year because they have KLS.

Pam Ward isn't part of the AP voting panel, so what did she do? Or are you blaming her for other people voting for Collier? Smile

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/11/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the AP award, not the league award. The league award still had not been announced.

And WNBA 09 had the right of it, because no matter who wins what when it comes to ROY it's always good to remember..

Lauren Jackson didn't win Rookie of the Year.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

Pam Ward isn't part of the AP voting panel, so what did she do? Or are you blaming her for other people voting for Collier? Smile

How do you know she isn’t. Do you have the list of voters for both?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 09/11/19 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
This is the AP award, not the league award. The league award still had not been announced.

And WNBA 09 had the right of it, because no matter who wins what when it comes to ROY it's always good to remember..

And Arminti Price did.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/11/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:

And Arminti Price did.

I feel like the major difference between those two is that you can look back in hindsight, and say that Jackson got cheated. Nobody got cheated by Price being named ROY; that was arguably the weakest draft class of all time.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/11/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:

And Arminti Price did.

I feel like the major difference between those two is that you can look back in hindsight, and say that Jackson got cheated. Nobody got cheated by Price being named ROY; that was arguably the weakest draft class of all time.

You have to really stretch to say Jackson was cheated

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie led Portland by herself . Jackson had Bird . Eye test wise at the time Jackie deserved the Win. She had some incredible performances her rookie year in the garden!

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Jackie led Portland by herself . Jackson had Bird . Eye test wise at the time Jackie deserved the Win. She had some incredible performances her rookie year in the garden!

We're talking about rookie seasons here. In Jackson's rookie season she did not have Bird.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

We're talking about rookie seasons here. In Jackson's rookie season she did not have Bird.

I forget she came first sorry Arrow

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

No, her leading the team to the worst record in the league got them Bird.

LoJack's poor shooting and missing the end of the season made her an unlikely ROY candidate.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

No, her leading the team to the worst record in the league got them Bird.

LoJack's poor shooting and missing the end of the season made her an unlikely ROY candidate.

Stiles being the media darling is actually what made LJ an unlikely ROY candidate. On playing merit it could easily have gone either way.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

You have to really stretch to say Jackson was cheated

Disagree. I think a case could be made that Jackson, Abrosimova and Ferdinand all had better rookie seasons than Stiles; I certainly feel like most of the arguments that people are making in 2019 for Collier over Ogunbowale could have been applied to Ferdinand over Stiles. And, just like this season, if you're saying that Stiles was the rightful ROY, you're basically saying that PPG is the only thing that counts. I don't truck with that.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ's fieldgoal % was ugly. But even if her FG % was decent i still think that she wouldnt have won ROY

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: