Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg5222

PostPosted: 08/26/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Or they could cut Hines-Allen before the playoffs and keep Peddy. Hines-Allen isn't getting minutes, either.

Hines-Allen has way more value than Mestdagh, both in a vacuum and to this team specifically. She plays a different type of game than our other posts, and we might face a matchup where that matters. The coaches are high on her too and just because she's not getting consistent playing time now doesn't mean she won't in a couple of weeks.

Hines-Allen is a keeper. AP is doing a great job! Mystics are guard heavy.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 08/27/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington Mystics could be one of the best WNBA teams ever
Kevin Pelton (ESPN Staff Writer)

Quote:
My simulations are built on teams' point differential, adjusted for schedule, because it has proved a better predictor of future success than record. Despite the benefit of home-court advantage, the team with the WNBA's best record has won the championship just 13 times in the league's 23 seasons. By contrast, the team with the best point differential has won 17 of 23 years, and all 23 champions have finished either first or second in regular-season differential.

When those are the same team -- the one with the best record also has the best point differential -- the predictive power is even stronger. Those teams have gone on to win the title 13 times in 17 opportunities, a 76% success rate. In that context, the Mystics look like overwhelming favorites. After all, Washington isn't just leading the league in point differential. The Mystics are lapping the field, outscoring opponents by 11.4 points per game. Nobody else in the WNBA has a differential of better than plus-4.0 per game (Las Vegas).

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27472878/washington-mystics-one-best-wnba-teams-ever

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/27/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And for what it's worth, Kevin has always followed women's basketball ...

PostPosted: 08/27/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think they're up there with the greatest teams. You can only play who's in front of you but the current league is undoubtedly very weak with the absence of so many star players this season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/27/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this time of year, every team is one injury away from getting beat. If it's a tight game, one bad call can be the deciding factor. And when it's a one game series, random 'stuff' can happen.

For the Mystics, ITM Toliver's absence is troubling.

- Amanda Gorman
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/27/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
At this time of year, every team is one injury away from getting beat. If it's a tight game, one bad call can be the deciding factor. And when it's a one game series, random 'stuff' can happen.

Please don't remind me of game 2 of last year's finals, I've been trying to get over it for almost a year Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 08/27/19 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Please don't remind me of game 2 of last year's finals, I've been trying to get over it for almost a year Laughing

Fans don't get over those things. I'm not the only Dream fan who gripes about the "monstrous moving screen".

PostPosted: 08/27/19 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Washington Mystics could be one of the best WNBA teams ever
Kevin Pelton (ESPN Staff Writer)

Quote:
My simulations are built on teams' point differential, adjusted for schedule, because it has proved a better predictor of future success than record. Despite the benefit of home-court advantage, the team with the WNBA's best record has won the championship just 13 times in the league's 23 seasons. By contrast, the team with the best point differential has won 17 of 23 years, and all 23 champions have finished either first or second in regular-season differential.

When those are the same team -- the one with the best record also has the best point differential -- the predictive power is even stronger. Those teams have gone on to win the title 13 times in 17 opportunities, a 76% success rate. In that context, the Mystics look like overwhelming favorites. After all, Washington isn't just leading the league in point differential. The Mystics are lapping the field, outscoring opponents by 11.4 points per game. Nobody else in the WNBA has a differential of better than plus-4.0 per game (Las Vegas).

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27472878/washington-mystics-one-best-wnba-teams-ever

This is a very good opinion piece, based as it is on multiple lines of historical statistical evidence, rather than just subjective, naked bias and agenda that characterize so many writings these days.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/27/19 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Fans don't get over those things. I'm not the only Dream fan who gripes about the "monstrous moving screen".

Question Question Question

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/27/19 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Classic LJ Laughing

PostPosted: 08/27/19 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The end of Game 1 of the 2010 finals. Sue Bird hit the gamer. She was wide open because Lauren Jackson executed the "monstrous moving screen" (as Bird herself called it in the Storm championship DVD) in which she literally pushed two Dream players away.

PostPosted: 08/27/19 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The end of Game 1 of the 2010 finals. Sue Bird hit the gamer. She was wide open because Lauren Jackson executed the "monstrous moving screen" (as Bird herself called it in the Storm championship DVD) in which she literally pushed two Dream players away.

Video here, should anyone want to see it: https://youtu.be/He6T2nnPQbs?t=144

PostPosted: 08/27/19 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

always a lot of woulda coulda shoulda...

- Amanda Gorman
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/03/19 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington Mystics Head Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault announced that the team has signed forward Tianna Hawkins to a contract extension through the 2020 season.

https://www.wnba.com/news/washington-mystics-extend-forward-tianna-hawkins-through-2020-season/

toad455

PostPosted: 09/03/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Washington Mystics Head Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault announced that the team has signed forward Tianna Hawkins to a contract extension through the 2020 season.

https://www.wnba.com/news/washington-mystics-extend-forward-tianna-hawkins-through-2020-season/

Wonder if it's a max deal? There goes any other team's hope of stealing her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 09/10/19 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the children love Pax

PostPosted: 09/10/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the ticketmaster website, wnba finals tix for the mystics say at “entertainment and sports arena”... oh my god would they actually consider putting the finals there??

PostPosted: 09/10/19 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
On the ticketmaster website, wnba finals tix for the mystics say at “entertainment and sports arena”... oh my god would they actually consider putting the finals there??

Not really any worse than having them out in Fairfax like they were last year. Traffic was so bad that I parked in a neighborhood and walked nearly a mile over after sitting in the car for two hours.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Why wouldn't they? It is the Mystics new home. Some other team(s) would probably love to have a place like that. Playoffs have recently been a hodgepodge of alternate arenas for games - including some pretty far away (e.g. the Storm playing in Tacoma one year).

toad455

PostPosted: 09/10/19 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Why wouldn't they? It is the Mystics new home. Some other team(s) would probably love to have a place like that. Playoffs have recently been a hodgepodge of alternate arenas for games - including some pretty far away (e.g. the Storm playing in Tacoma one year).

I would hope that for the Finals they'd draw better at Capital One Arena. Probably 10k or so. Keeping it at their basement arena will hike prices up for the 4,200 available tickets.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/10/19 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playoff games prior to the finals don't typically draw big crowds anyway, right?
The best place for the team to play in terms of familiarity and home court advantage would be the arena they have played in all season.

Last edited by Luuuc on 09/10/19 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/10/19 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Place would be rockin', though ...

PostPosted: 09/10/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

I would hope that for the Finals they'd draw better at Capital One Arena. Probably 10k or so. Keeping it at their basement arena will hike prices up for the 4,200 available tickets.

Styx just had the finals in DC last year and drew crickets. Keep them where they are its working for the team !

PostPosted: 09/10/19 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be beyond stupid to move the Mystics from their loud rockin packed (albeit small) home court during the playoffs to a half empty cavernous downtown arena. They love playing there and their fans love it too. It’s probably the best home court advantage in the WNBA.

If too small EASA sells out, what could be better for the W than some (non STHers) having to pay scalpers to get a seat for the playoffs. The WNBA being a hot ticket in Washington? I love it!!

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/11/19 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
It would be beyond stupid to move the Mystics from their loud rockin packed (albeit small) home court during the playoffs to a half empty cavernous downtown arena. They love playing there and their fans love it too. It’s probably the best home court advantage in the WNBA.

If too small EASA sells out, what could be better for the W than some (non STHers) having to pay scalpers to get a seat for the playoffs. The WNBA being a hot ticket in Washington? I love it!!

I've always felt that situations where people can't get a ticket help a franchise (or any business) in the long run. Now folks realize they have to plan ahead and buy ahead, which is much, much better than relying on walkups.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: