RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPNW Season Awards (+ more)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:16 am    ::: ESPNW Season Awards (+ more) Reply Reply with quote

If others find any offical ballots out there link them in this thread and I'll update the OP.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/27559573/elena-delle-donne-espnw-wnba-mvp-headlines-all-league-first-team

MVP: Delle Donne

And Matt Ellentuck of SB Nation's offical ballot:

MVP: Delle Donne

Last edited by justintyme on 09/10/19 2:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Randy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Collier got off to a big start, with 27 points and six rebounds in her first regular-season game....

From the article. Pretty much sealed the deal in the first game.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The position bending for All-WNBA Laughing

zune69

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These clowns really voted L.Mitchell on to the All-League 2nd team?.....Mitchell had a good season but there are more worthy candidates. Candidates who are primary offensive options and play better defense.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
These clowns really voted L.Mitchell on to the All-League 2nd team?.....Mitchell had a good season but there are more worthy candidates. Candidates who are primary offensive options and play better defense.

Did these players even sniff Mitchell's scoring efficiency?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/10/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elena Delle Donne is espnW's unanimous WNBA MVP
Minnesota's Napheesa Collier is Rookie of the Year
Chicago's James Wade is Coach of the Year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Sims and Gray are primary options. I don't expect their efficiency to be as good as a player who takes mostly wide open shots. Sims and Gray carried their teams offensively at certain points during the season......Two all league players on a team that finished 4 games under .500 is pushing it. I can understand making a case for Bonner, but Mitchell?

Sims- 14.5/5.4 and great defense on a 18 win team
Gray- 14.5/5.9 on a 22 win team
And don't forget about Toliver.

If Phoenix had Sims or Gray instead of Mitchell, they would've finished above .500

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Code:

MVP   Delle Donne* (8)

ROY   Collier (7), Ogunbowale (1)

COY   Wade (4), Thibault (3), Reeve (1)

All-league   
                Delle Donne* (6)
                DeShields (1)
                C. Gray (1)
                Griner (4)
                Howard (2)
                J. Jones (4)
                L. Mitchell (1)
                N. Ogwumike (5)
                Vandersloot* (6)
          *Denotes unanimous vote

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Sims and Gray are primary options. I don't expect their efficiency to be as good as a player who takes mostly wide open shots. Sims and Gray carried their teams offensively at certain points during the season......Two all league players on a team that finished 4 games under .500 is pushing it. I can understand making a case for Bonner, but Mitchell?

If Phoenix had Sims or Gray instead of Mitchell, they would've finished above .500

I disagree with that last part. Don't get me wrong, I like Sims a lot, but Phoenix needed a floor spacer to make room for Griner with DT being out. Sims is...not good...from deep. If DT were playing at full strength, I agree Sims would fit much better.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Phoenix had 2.5 capable offensive players this season, Mitchell single handedly saved their season. Having 50% TS players as primary options is one of the reasons why every non-Mystics offense sucked this season. Let's not glorify chuckers.

shontay33

PostPosted: 09/10/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Phoenix had 2.5 capable offensive players this season, Mitchell single handedly saved their season. Having 50% TS players as primary options is one of the reasons why every non-Mystics offense sucked this season. Let's not glorify chuckers.

As someone stated previously, Mitchell got wide open shots because of those two players. She is best as a catch and shoot player than off of the dribble.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/10/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Offense is 50% of the game. Sims led her team in pts and asst all while being one of the better defensive pg's in the league.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/10/19 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Offense is 50% of the game. Sims led her team in pts and asst all while being one of the better defensive pg's in the league.

Of course the team was better defensively with her off the court, according to on/off splits. DRob was the defensive stopper at the guard position for the Lynx.

Now, I do agree she is better defensively than Mitchell, but she wasn't lights-out this year on that end. She was good, not great.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Mitchell also led her team in assists, scored only 1.7 points per game less than Sims and comitting only about half as many turnovers as Sims. If my goal is to win basketball games I'm taking Leilani any day of the week.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Code:

MVP   Delle Donne* (8)

ROY   Collier (7), Ogunbowale (1)

COY   Wade (4), Thibault (3), Reeve (1)

All-league   
                Delle Donne* (6)
                DeShields (1)
                C. Gray (1)
                Griner (4)
                Howard (2)
                J. Jones (4)
                L. Mitchell (1)
                N. Ogwumike (5)
                Vandersloot* (6)
          *Denotes unanimous vote

Most of the six that bothered to vote for all-WNBA didn't pay a blind bit of notice to the actual rules for voting, of course. There are only 8 total votes for guards, when there should be 12, so I guess one had DeShields as a guard and three people put Delle Donne there? At least two people had both Griner and JJones on their team, despite both being centers, and every other vote was for someone who's either been a forward or center (depending on how you feel) all season long.

Why even bother 'voting' if you're just going to make up the rules? Okay, my team's Kristi Toliver, Elena Delle Donne, Michael Jordan, Condoleezza Rice, and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeShields is listed on WNBA.com and the Sky roster as a guard. Delle Donne is listed as G-F, which presumably means guard-forward. Jonquel Jones is F-C.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/wnba/2019/9/10/20857211/wnba-mvp-rookie-of-the-year-awards

Matt Ellentuck adds his offical ballot

PostPosted: 09/10/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When will the WNBA announce season award winners?

PostPosted: 09/10/19 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

They usually do it during the playoffs, starting with MVP and culminating with the All WNBA teams during the finals.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
DeShields is listed on WNBA.com and the Sky roster as a guard. Delle Donne is listed as G-F, which presumably means guard-forward. Jonquel Jones is F-C.

Which is thoroughly meaningless compared to actually watching the games. Delle Donne's played as many minutes at guard in the WNBA this season as I have.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Which is thoroughly meaningless compared to actually watching the games. Delle Donne's played as many minutes at guard in the WNBA this season as I have.

Yes, but the actual rules for voting are to go by their listed position

PostPosted: 09/10/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

They usually do it during the playoffs, starting with MVP and culminating with the All WNBA teams during the finals.

They announce the winner before the player/coach's home playoff game if they are in the playoffs, so tomorrow they'll announce one of both of Howard DPOTY and Wade COTY if they won. EDD's MVP will be announced before the Mystics' first home playoff game.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/10/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes, but the actual rules for voting are to go by their listed position

The minimal ballot instructions used to say something about voting for players at the position they start at, but they may have fiddled with the wording since I was told that. If the letters someone arbitrarily shoved on a roster page several years ago are being used to mean anything then that's as stupid as anything else in this process.

PostPosted: 09/10/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:

As someone stated previously, Mitchell got wide open shots because of those two players. She is best as a catch and shoot player than off of the dribble.

Actually,
Quote:
Related: Leilani Mitchell was among the league’s most efficient off-the-dribble shooters (116 possessions, 1.034 Points Per Possession). For reference, the 2019 median halfcourt offense managed 0.847 PPP (0.891 PPP last year).

Source

PostPosted: 09/11/19 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Of course the team was better defensively with her off the court, according to on/off splits. DRob was the defensive stopper at the guard position for the Lynx.

Now, I do agree she is better defensively than Mitchell, but she wasn't lights-out this year on that end. She was good, not great.
Sims has always been over rated defensively because she is quick and gets steals. I voted for her as most improved, but if you really watch her- she does have defensive liabilities that do not always show up. I have mentioned before that she will often lose her player on switches or in bound srums. Her problem has never been effort, because she always hustles, rather its a peripheral vision problem. One can always learn to adjust, but she will never be an elite defeneder because of that.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: