Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 4:56 pm    ::: Atlanta Dream 2020 Reply Reply with quote

Well, what needs to be done?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:01 pm    ::: Re: Atlanta Dream 2020 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Angel needs to come back otherwise this is what you will be watching again next year Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:08 pm    ::: Re: Atlanta Dream 2020 Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Randy wrote:

Angel needs to come back otherwise this is what you will be watching again next year Laughing

Just a wild guess but I expect that's what the owners are thinking.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/AtlantaDream/status/1170805083191296000

Quote:
Something BIG is coming soon Dream fans

Guess they’ll start the offseason with this.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Wonder what this could be? Something "BIG"? new ownership keeping them in Atlanta? BIG3 owner Ice Cube buying the team?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:23 pm    ::: Re: Atlanta Dream 2020 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Randy wrote:

Just a wild guess but I expect that's what the owners are thinking.

You asked for an answer, so I gave you an answer! Razz Sometimes the easiest solutions are the most simple Laughing

So I guess Dream fans hope she remains in Atlanta.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Quote:

Wonder what this could be? Something "BIG"? new ownership keeping them in Atlanta? BIG3 owner Ice Cube buying the team?

That would be good I think. Maybe it is just something like Renee Montgomery will be doing a local TV show (already been mentioned a few places). I doubt it is anything all that spectacular.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Quote:

inb4 it's McCoughtry's Ice Cream coming to State Farm Arena next year Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or maybe Angel gets her statue next to Dominique Wilkins.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/08/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Or maybe Angel gets her statue next to Dominique Wilkins.

I like your thinking.

Also Dream fans, we gotta keep this up. You are already beating the Liberty thread. Don't let them take over the number of pages again! Razz

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or maybe Art Blank is buying the Dream for his next wife (whoever she may be) and they will be playing in Mercedes Benz Stadium next year.

shontay33

PostPosted: 09/08/19 7:45 pm    ::: Re: Atlanta Dream 2020 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Trade Bentley for a true point guard.
Angel Returns or traded for another all star caliber player

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 7:46 pm    ::: Re: Atlanta Dream 2020 Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Bentley is a UFA if Megdal's spreadsheet is correct so she can go where she wants. Dream should let her go.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/19 8:07 pm    ::: Re: Atlanta Dream 2020 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Bentley is a UFA if Megdal's spreadsheet is correct so she can go where she wants. Dream should let her go.

Bentley may be done then. Realistically, who would want or even need her?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What worries me is the way Collen kept on playing her even at the end of close games when she was throwing up bricks at every chance. Makes me fear they will bring her back.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of roster, the Dream aren't looking good. They may be forced to bring back Bentley. What if Angel does go elsewhere?

PG: Montgomery/Cazorla
SG: Hayes/lottery pick/Bentley?
SF: Sykes/Coffey
PF: Breland/Billings
C: Williams/Gulich/Coates

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming we get No. 4, I'm keeping my eye on Dangermouse this year. She's probably "too small"" but Canada and Mitchell seemed to do alright and Montgomery is not that big either. If anything it seems that the shorter PG's are still making a living in the WNBA.

As far as Angel goes, I think they will try to keep her and I doubt most other teams are going to be willing to take a chance on her coming back until she shows she can still play at a high level overseas. My guess is the Dream will figure the best thing to do is to build around Angel and tweak the roster a little. I don't think it will work though. Angel will be 33 going on 34 so do the math.

Last edited by Randy on 09/08/19 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/08/19 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IF McCoughtry re-signs:

SG: Hayes/Sykes
SF: McCoughtry/Coffey
C: Williams/Gülich

Maybe their last two spots go to their lottery pick and Coates? They also have two 3rd-round picks. Other than McCoughtry, Bentley, and maybe Coates, everyone appears to be signed through at least 2020. If any one of the veteran players wants out sooner, it'll likely only happen via trade...

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
IF McCoughtry re-signs:

SG: Hayes/Sykes
SF: McCoughtry/Coffey
C: Williams/Gülich

Maybe their last two spots go to their lottery pick and Coates? They also have two 3rd-round picks. Other than McCoughtry, Bentley, and maybe Coates, everyone appears to be signed through at least 2020. If any one of the veteran players wants out sooner, it'll likely only happen via trade...

This roster does not excite me in the least. Assuming that is where they start:

First priority, after helping Bentley pack would be to find a new address for Williams. She is too small and doesn't make up for it with heart and effort anymore. She has been on a long decline since 2016 and needs to go.

Next trade either Sykes or Hayes - whoever can get us the most. I'd love to see K. Brown in a Dream uniform so the Dream need to figure out what that would take.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/08/19 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Next trade either Sykes or Hayes - whoever can get us the most. I'd love to see K. Brown in a Dream uniform so the Dream need to figure out what that would take.

Sykes is five years younger, and can still get better. Hayes is as good as she's going to get, and it ain't good enough. If nothing else, you know that Sykes will at least still work the glass, when her shot isn't falling. You can't even say that much about Hayes; she's a total liability, when she's not getting buckets.

You guys realistically should have gotten rid of Tip two years ago, when she had peak value, i.e., before she got exposed as not being a legitimate first option.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/09/19 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that Angel needs to come back. I do believe she is VERY underrated on this board for whatever reason. But, she is an elite scorer as well as an excellent passer and defender. I think what we found out this year (but should have discovered before this year) is that Angel is a great pressure release valve for players and makes her team better. With defense double/triple teaming her, that leaves others open for easier shots (they just have to make them). That's why Hayes had such a great 2018, she made the most of those opportunities. They made her look like the top scoring option/player when she was really Pippen to Angel's Jordan. But, it worked. This year, with all the focus on Hayes, it made it much tougher since she's not the creator for others' shots that Angel is.

Now, for her supporting cast, I think Renee is fine to keep. I love EWill but she may be better off the bench than starting. She has some games where she looks amazing and then others, not so much. Either her or Breland has to be a consistent offensive threat. Billings I think will be a wonderful bench option. She has come in and given some great minutes and great hustle.

Now, I think Hayes is an excellent player and plays well alongside Angel. But, if you can get good value for her, get it. If not, start her and have Sykes as your top 6th woman.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/09/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2019/09/08/dreams-final-game-embodiment-season/

Quote:
Next year, this team may well look very different. McCoughtry may be in Atlanta, she may be with a different team or she may be out of the league entirely. Dream assistant coach Mike Petersen says that the goal of offseason moves is simple: Atlanta needs to draft players who can shoot, sign players who can shoot and trade for players who can shoot.

The question then becomes who will remain of this squad. Many of the Dream’s players are capable of — and have exhibited — better shooting seasons than they showed this year. But when making moves this offseason, the priority has to be on fixing the offense.

“We’re in an analytical league,” Collen said. “We have to make layups and threes, and we didn’t do either well this season. At least going into today, we were second to last in the league in making shots within five feet of the basket and we were last in the league in three-point percentage. When you think about the takeaways, we were able to weather not being a great three-point shooting team last year with our defense. I think we have to understand that we have to be better offensively and we have to be able to make open threes and score within five feet.”

Perhaps the most significant thing is they didn't say "getting Angel back" is the highest priority. Instead, Dream are going after shooters in the off-season. I've been hearing that for about 10 years now.......They never seem to get them. Maybe they should hire a shooting coach.

Scarab

PostPosted: 09/09/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got an email from the Dream this evening. Looks like the rumor was true: the Dream will NOT be returning to State Farm Arena.

Text of email:

"ATLANTA DREAM STATEMENT:

In an effort to keep you informed, there will be an article online this evening and in tomorrow’s Atlanta Journal-Constitution regarding the Dream and State Farm Arena. At the sole discretion of the management of State Farm Arena and the Atlanta Hawks, we will not be returning to State Farm Arena in 2020. However, we are speaking with multiple locations with a decision to be made in the coming weeks. 

We are committed to our fans, our sponsors and the Atlanta community and are excited to continue to bring the best women’s basketball to our city. 

Your continued support of the franchise has been second-to-none. We believe the future is bright for the Atlanta Dream! Beyond the arena announcement, we will have more exciting news to share in the coming month - so stay tuned!"

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the article.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/dream-owners-look-future-that-doesn-include-state-farm-arena/Cj8a2omttvjnSCF1nwMMdO/

Wow - there is a lot there. Says Angel is a free agent, Dream won't be back to SF, seems as though they are saying the Hawks don't want to share the arena.....

Randy

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the article:

Quote:
“Playing at State Farm was a tremendous opportunity for our fans to experience really a world-class arena,” Loeffler said. “We’re really grateful to have been able to offer that experience to our fans. But we unfortunately won’t be able to return. We understand that’s a business decision. The good news is there is a lot of venues interested in hosting the Dream – that’s our focus right now.”

It does occur to me that this could be a negotiating ploy - walk away from the table and say there are other options.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: