Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/07/19 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on what she's looking for in the offseason: "We still need scorers...We probably need a PG. We're not sure what Tanisha's doing at the end of the season, so probably a lead guard type of action...I think Durr and JoJo, Nurse and Bec are solid at the wing spots" #WNBA

No more Wright. Let her retire please. I'm cool wit letting her be a assistant coach

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith: "We need to find another big. I know Stokes will be coming back, hopefully. Zahui, Han will have another under her belt. I think we have to get better in that area too and just find more production, find playmakers overall" #WNBA #LibertyLoud

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on Kiah Stokes: "We want her back and w always stay connected with the players, always have a good rapport. Just want to make sure she's taking care of herself. Ready to rock and roll next year" #WNBA #LibertyLoud

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on if having the top lottery odds is a silver lining: "I guess. I will think it later, possibly, if we get the 1st pick. But right now I'd much rather win some games. There are some pieces out there that I think would be an asset for us." #WNBA #LibertyLoud

This is A good list but part of me is like I don't care what you rhombus first thing we need is a new coach!

1000% agree !!!

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/07/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smith even regressed yesterday. I thought she learned her lesson about waiting too long to call timeouts., But in the 3rd Quarter, she let Indiana wipe out a 13 point lead before doing anything. Most coaches would have reacted after a 4-0 or 6-0 run to stop the momentum.

Katie is now treating Nurse, Allen, Hartley, and Johannes as equals. Nurse played 17 and 18 minutes in the last two games. Unless she feels Kia is tired, it's a nice way to devalue your 23-year-old All-Star.

PostPosted: 09/07/19 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really think they tanked last night. Why else would Han get 10 minutes? Boyd got a lot of minutes. They played very well in the first half and then took their foot off the gas peddle in the second half. Smith said after the game they need a solid lead guard for next season. She's clearly looking at Ionescu. Boyd's gone and Wright will be the new assistant coach.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/07/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next season? đź‘€

Sounds like somebody might have an assurance about returning in 2020. It would explain a few things about their approach. They’ve played with little to no urgency since the All-Star break.

PostPosted: 09/07/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Smith even regressed yesterday. I thought she learned her lesson about waiting too long to call timeouts., But in the 3rd Quarter, she let Indiana wipe out a 13 point lead before doing anything. Most coaches would have reacted after a 4-0 or 6-0 run to stop the momentum.

Katie is now treating Nurse, Allen, Hartley, and Johannes as equals. Nurse played 17 and 18 minutes in the last two games. Unless she feels Kia is tired, it's a nice way to devalue your 23-year-old All-Star.

It's horrible.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/07/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I really think they tanked last night. Why else would Han get 10 minutes? Boyd got a lot of minutes. They played very well in the first half and then took their foot off the gas peddle in the second half. Smith said after the game they need a solid lead guard for next season. She's clearly looking at Ionescu. Boyd's gone and Wright will be the new assistant coach.

There's no way the Liberty tanked. They gave up the 13-point lead in the 3rd, but then immediately regained the lead and pushed it back up to 9 with less than 6 minutes left in the game. Down the stretch, Katie brought back her starters. She even went offense/defense with Nurse and Allen, then brought back Nurse for Wright when a 3-point shot was needed. Smith also switched Zahui for Johannes to have four 3-point shooters on the floor. That's a lot of chess moves for someone who is tanking.

As for Han, she came in only after both Zahui and Gray got into foul trouble. Boyd earned her playing time. She shot 4-7 from the field with 7 assists in 18 minutes. Brittany had 2 turnovers, but one was the fault of her teammates for being spectators while she got trapped along the sidelines. Boyd finally threw a long desperation pass that was picked off. I've posted about this before. Liberty players make no attempt to help the ballhandler when she's trapped.

Last edited by root_thing on 09/07/19 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/07/19 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you think that Katie wanted to Tank...
then she did a great job in the 4th quarter

If you think Katie wanted to win this last home game of the season...
then she did a horrible job in the 4th quarter

The choice is yours to make

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/07/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The bench has been outplaying the starters recently. So, if you want to be cynical, one can interpret bringing back the starters as intentionally tanking. Personally, I don't think Katie has that much imagination.

PostPosted: 09/07/19 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn’t bring Johannes back in until it was basically too late.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/07/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
toad455 wrote:

There's no way the Liberty tanked. They gave up the 13-point lead in the 3rd, but then immediately regained the lead and pushed it back up to 9 with less than 6 minutes left in the game. Down the stretch, Katie brought back her starters. She even went offense/defense with Nurse and Allen, then brought back Nurse for Wright when a 3-point shot was needed. Smith also switched Zahui for Johannes to have four 3-point shooters on the floor. That's a lot of chess moves for someone who is tanking.

As for Han, she came in only after both Zahui and Gray got into foul trouble. Boyd earned her playing time. She shot 4-7 from the field with 7 assists in 18 minutes. Brittany had 2 turnovers, but one was the fault of her teammates for being spectators while she got trapped along the sidelines. Boyd finally threw a long desperation pass that was picked off. I've posted about this before. Liberty players make no attempt to help the ballhandler when she's trapped.

They didn't tank. They just played terribly down the stretch. Not the first time. And not helped by awful decisions by Smith about who to have on the court--and who to sit down--in the crucial minutes.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/07/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best job of Tanking is making people believe you didn't Tank...
Just had a 14-0 run against you to end the game and made horrible decisions in the 4th

NYSports56

PostPosted: 09/07/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Liberty wanted to tank, there's no way they would have led the game by so much so late. They were playing against a team who also had incentive to lose. The Fever could have easily missed some shots to let the Liberty have their win.

Maybe they did lose on purpose, but this game really didn't look different from any other Liberty loss. It played out exactly like so many Liberty games over the past two years: their offense disappeared down the stretch, and was not enough to get them the win.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/07/19 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
If the Liberty wanted to tank, there's no way they would have led the game by so much so late. They were playing against a team who also had incentive to lose. The Fever could have easily missed some shots to let the Liberty have their win.

Maybe they did lose on purpose, but this game really didn't look different from any other Liberty loss. It played out exactly like so many Liberty games over the past two years: their offense disappeared down the stretch, and was not enough to get them the win.

A good team finds ways to win down the stretch. A bad team finds ways to lose.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/07/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

You act like all the players would be in on this. It’s the coach who loses the game with their play-calling, substitutions, and benching.

Can you imagine the big blowup story in the Player’s Tribune “They Wanted Us to Lose”. Probably wouldn’t sit very well with most of the basketball community.

Katie Smith as the head coach probably isn’t too wrapped up in the odds in the draft and players for the future. That’s for somebody else to worry about. If there was a directive to lose the game, it most likely came from a higher up, like a GM or a president. Can you imagine Katie Smith taking it upon her self to decide to lose a game because she thought it would be best for the future of the club? I can’t.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no problem with Smith thinking ahead and planning as if she's going to be there long-term. You wouldn't want her coaching as if she's a dead woman walking. So I wouldn't say that that necessarily means she has any guarantee that she'll be there next season. I don't see why anyone would give her that.

Maybe he didn't get a decent answer and therefore didn't report it, but I do think it's a little ridiculous that one of the first questions didn't appear to be "do you worry that you'll be out of a job once the season is finished?"

PostPosted: 09/08/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I have no problem with Smith thinking ahead and planning as if she's going to be there long-term. You wouldn't want her coaching as if she's a dead woman walking. So I wouldn't say that that necessarily means she has any guarantee that she'll be there next season. I don't see why anyone would give her that.

Maybe he didn't get a decent answer and therefore didn't report it, but I do think it's a little ridiculous that one of the first questions didn't appear to be "do you worry that you'll be out of a job once the season is finished?"

Yes that was my thought. Geoff M. asked Katie a variety of questions about next year's team without asking the one obvious question. Seems strange.

PostPosted: 09/08/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yes that was my thought. Geoff M. asked Katie a variety of questions about next year's team without asking the one obvious question. Seems strange.

Why would you ask someone if they thought they would be fired? And what could she possibly say?

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Why would you ask someone if they thought they would be fired? And what could she possibly say?

Mike Woodson was asked that all the time when he was with the Hawks. Another possibility (sorry NY fans I have to bring this up as upsetting as it may be.) Maybe Katie has a 3 year deal.....

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's be reminded that the Liberty have never had a #1 pick.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/08/19 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Well we traded that pick before we knew it turned to a number 1

And got Sydney Spencer ....way to go Blaze Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/19 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wrong thread.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/08/19 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The Liberty have a No. 1 pick on their roster RIGHT NOW.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/08/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Wrong thread.

The topic is so scintillating that we have to discuss it on two threads simultaneously. Smile

So what do people think about Mother Jones or what it means to be physical in the low block? Wink

PostPosted: 09/08/19 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
Wrong thread.

The topic is so scintillating that we have to discuss it on two threads simultaneously. Smile

So what do people think about Mother Jones or what it means to be physical in the low block? Wink

You don't get to 90 pages without a few diversions along the way. It would interesting to see how many of those 90 pages (I suspect most) contained the words "fire Katie Smith."

Unfortunately, it probably won't get to 100 pages since the Liberty 2020 Thread should probably start later today - along with the Dream, Fever and Wings threads.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/08/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The Liberty have a No. 1 pick on their roster RIGHT NOW.

I think Toad meant a No. 1 pick in its raw, unpicked form Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 90 of 91

Jump to: