RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/19 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stokes', who wasn't a starter even when playing, trade value after sitting out a year is definitely not enough to trade for a starter unless the starter is demanding out...JMO

Strongly agree.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, Liberty fans, we are very near the end of a gloomy, disappointing 2019 season. Our second consecutive year of torture. But I believe interesting times are ahead, perhaps as early as Monday.

In the previous 88 pages of this thread, there's a name that's been mentioned remarkably few times: Jonathan Kolb. In case anyone has forgotten, he's our general manager. I know next to nothing about him. And SO little has been said about him by Liberty fans far more knowledgeable than I am.

My guess is that Kolb was told he had to stick with Katie at least for 2019. Now all bets are off. Sometimes GMs dump coaches on the very first day of a team's offseason. Kolb could take longer, but I don't believe Katie will be back.

We've talked a lot about possible roster moves. Presumably most of us know nothing about where Kolb stands on draft options, our current roster, possible free agents. But we're about to find out. And we may find out some of the answers quite soon.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/05/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before all that Lets See where the GM wants to play in 2020 !

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/05/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was not that impressed with our new GM at the Tuesdays STH meet and greet.
were you Bob ?

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/05/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
were you Bob ?

I'm impressed that you met him. So, Jonathan Kolb really exists? I tried a Google search and couldn't find a picture of him anywhere.

PostPosted: 09/05/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

Is this him?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/05/19 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
were you Bob ?

was anything said about next season?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 09/05/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RE: Johannes, Raincock-Ekunwe & Han next season. In regards to the Olympics, they're scheduled for July 22 - August 9. The league took a three-week break in 2016, so we're likely looking at no games from July 20 - August 9. These players will likely opt to show up after the games if they want to. I'm convinced Han stays home all season. Raincock sat all of 2018 for the Worlds and really is easily replaceable. So do we have a temp filler if Johannes opts to play come August 2020?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/05/19 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
were you Bob ?

was anything said about next season?

Other than the "we want the same thing you want"
there were no details...smiles and no details
said nothing ...even with the elephant in the room as to where we
will play ..."still meeting on it "

Not Impressed with him but that is IMO

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/05/19 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem is, Kolb might be the GM but the decision on where they'll play is likely being made above his pay grade. So he probably can't do much more than smile and nod and say nothing much until a decision is made.

PostPosted: 09/05/19 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Problem is, Kolb might be the GM but the decision on where they'll play is likely being made above his pay grade. So he probably can't do much more than smile and nod and say nothing much until a decision is made.

The classic "Yes Man" we have all worked with in business

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/05/19 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The classic "Yes Man" we have all worked with in business

Not necessarily. He may have full control of roster moves and coaching hires and all that stuff (or may not - hard to know from the outside). But where they play is in large part a decision on how much money they're willing to potentially lose. At some point that decision has to be made by the person spending the money.

But yeah, sometimes the job of a high-level sports executive is to be the face of decisions that they didn't necessarily have a lot to do with. Especially the ones that people above them don't want to be directly associated with.

PostPosted: 09/05/19 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised that anyone expects Jonathan Kolb to say anything meaningful at a Meet and Greet. Kolb should be judged on the decisions he makes, not on whether he's candid at the kind of event where almost no one is ever candid.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/19 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Not necessarily. He may have full control of roster moves and coaching hires and all that stuff (or may not - hard to know from the outside). But where they play is in large part a decision on how much money they're willing to potentially lose. At some point that decision has to be made by the person spending the money.

But yeah, sometimes the job of a high-level sports executive is to be the face of decisions that they didn't necessarily have a lot to do with. Especially the ones that people above them don't want to be directly associated with.

Exactly right on all counts.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/05/19 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We haven't talked about Kolb because he's kept a low profile. He has barely been quoted by the news media. He is minimally mentioned in press releases. I haven't noticed him on social media. I've watched about 90% of the game broadcasts, but as far as I know Kolb hasn't been on TV. Nor have I seen him on any web videos. Joe Tsai, Katie Smith, and even Keia Clarke have been profiled. We've seen T-Spoon, Charmin Smith, and Herb Williams in various media. But no Jonathan Kolb. As we discussed before, it's hard to know exactly what Kolb's responsibilities are. GMs have a different amount of clout on different teams. So, right now Kolb is a mystery man.

It also seems like an odd time to do a meet and greet. You're at the end of the season. You don't know or can't say where you're playing next year. Obviously, talking about a new coach is off-limits. Too early to discuss player moves. Can't rave about the great season you're having. PR events are supposed to be positive. What kind of positive conversations could Kolb have with the fans at this time?

PostPosted: 09/05/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
We haven't talked about Kolb because he's kept a low profile. He has barely been quoted by the news media. He is minimally mentioned in press releases. I haven't noticed him on social media. I've watched about 90% of the game broadcasts, but as far as I know Kolb hasn't been on TV. Nor have I seen him on any web videos. Joe Tsai, Katie Smith, and even Keia Clarke have been profiled. We've seen T-Spoon, Charmin Smith, and Herb Williams in various media. But no Jonathan Kolb. As we discussed before, it's hard to know exactly what Kolb's responsibilities are. GMs have a different amount of clout on different teams. So, right now Kolb is a mystery man.

It also seems like an odd time to do a meet and greet. You're at the end of the season. You don't know or can't say where you're playing next year. Obviously, talking about a new coach is off-limits. Too early to discuss player moves. Can't rave about the great season you're having. PR events are supposed to be positive. What kind of positive conversations could Kolb have with the fans at this time?

I'm full season and didn't even know there was a meet and greet

PostPosted: 09/05/19 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Thats what I thought ...so heard the "we want the same thing you want" line over and over ...with out any details ...it was strange and like I said before
didn't have a positive feel about him

Would like to hear anyone else if you were there last Tuesday

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/19 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

My guess: the point of having a "meet and greet" at what you view as "an odd time" wasn't to have positive conversations with fans. I believe someone above Kolb said: you've got to come out of hiding now. Suppose Katie Smith will be fired on Monday, or next week, or soon thereafter. It may take Kolb a while to hire a new coach. Till then, this rather unknown guy has to be the face of the franchise.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/05/19 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob, I seem to remember you saying your are a Season Ticket Holder.
Did you attend the Meet and Greet?

What was your opinion ?

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/05/19 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I believe someone above Kolb said: you've got to come out of hiding now.

Joseph Tsai: "Jonathan, man up! Time to put on your big boy pants!"

PostPosted: 09/05/19 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Johnathan Kolb: " But what can I say when they ask if we are going to play in Brooklyn next year" ?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/19 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Bob, I seem to remember you saying your are a Season Ticket Holder.
Did you attend the Meet and Greet?

What was your opinion ?

I'm not a season ticket holder and I did not attend the Meet and Greet.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/19 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

LOL

LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/07/19 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on what she's looking for in the offseason: "We still need scorers...We probably need a PG. We're not sure what Tanisha's doing at the end of the season, so probably a lead guard type of action...I think Durr and JoJo, Nurse and Bec are solid at the wing spots" #WNBA

No more Wright. Let her retire please. I'm cool wit letting her be a assistant coach

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith: "We need to find another big. I know Stokes will be coming back, hopefully. Zahui, Han will have another under her belt. I think we have to get better in that area too and just find more production, find playmakers overall" #WNBA #LibertyLoud

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on Kiah Stokes: "We want her back and w always stay connected with the players, always have a good rapport. Just want to make sure she's taking care of herself. Ready to rock and roll next year" #WNBA #LibertyLoud

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on if having the top lottery odds is a silver lining: "I guess. I will think it later, possibly, if we get the 1st pick. But right now I'd much rather win some games. There are some pieces out there that I think would be an asset for us." #WNBA #LibertyLoud

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/07/19 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on what she's looking for in the offseason: "We still need scorers...We probably need a PG. We're not sure what Tanisha's doing at the end of the season, so probably a lead guard type of action...I think Durr and JoJo, Nurse and Bec are solid at the wing spots" #WNBA

No more Wright. Let her retire please. I'm cool wit letting her be a assistant coach

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith: "We need to find another big. I know Stokes will be coming back, hopefully. Zahui, Han will have another under her belt. I think we have to get better in that area too and just find more production, find playmakers overall" #WNBA #LibertyLoud

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on Kiah Stokes: "We want her back and w always stay connected with the players, always have a good rapport. Just want to make sure she's taking care of herself. Ready to rock and roll next year" #WNBA #LibertyLoud

@GeoffMags5490: Katie Smith on if having the top lottery odds is a silver lining: "I guess. I will think it later, possibly, if we get the 1st pick. But right now I'd much rather win some games. There are some pieces out there that I think would be an asset for us." #WNBA #LibertyLoud

This is A good list but part of me is like I don't care what you rhombus first thing we need is a new coach!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 89 of 91

Jump to: