RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 07/11/19 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva out indefinitely due to a knee injury she suffered during EuroBasket.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 07/11/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks will only have 9 for their next game with Parker and Jones still out. Have to believe if Williams gets suspended that they'll get a hardship exemption and bring back Ashley Walker.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/11/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Candace Parker, averaging her least shots/40 minutes and lowest USG% in a decade, is too ball dominant? Chelsea Gray, who is shooting more than she ever has at a career low FG% and 3P% and has taken as many or more shots than Parker in each of the three games Parker has played, needs to have the ball in her hands more?

Gray:

Last 3 gms: 7.3 ppg on 25% fg shooting (games with Candace)

3 prior gms: 20 ppg on 55% fg shooting

Gray was shooting 44% from 2 and 45% from 3 before Candace made her return, Damn good for a #1 option pg....Your focusing on Candace's usage rate while I'm focusing on who's facilitating the offense, two totally different things....I have no issue with Candace's usage rate. She should be the #1 offensive scoring option. My problem is the role of facilitator. Gray is an all-star caliber top 3 pg. She should have the ball in her hands at least 70% of the time.

Chelsea Gray was a legit MVP candidate before the 3 game dumpster fire. And Chiney (subtract game 1) was fitting in nicely. The entire team has imploded. Just. Like. That. Worst coaching job ever.

Fisher did such a poor job with the Knicks that my eyebrows raised when I saw the Sparks hired him. The argument that he was hamstrung by Phil Jackson has merit, but there too many instances where things were going wrong both on the court and off and I felt that a better coach would have made them better (please don't ask for specifics--I don't remember any, but I vividly remember the thoughts).

With that in mind, I look at the talent on the Sparks and what they've done so far this year, and my reaction is "Yup, Derek Fisher."

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/11/19 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have always contended that sometimes Parker is more of a liability than an asset. If she just stuck to doing what she does best it would not only help her production but the team as well. She sees herself as a facilitator. Perhaps on a team that lacks other options that might be true, but not on the sparks the last couple of years.

Parker will have games where everything clicks and she is able to everything. Problem is that those games are fewer and in between. Every player has off games, but on those days, they need to recognize their limitations more than ever. She is good on the break when there are multiple passing lanes open, but in a half court offense she does not have good enough handles to create offense off the dribble, often getting herself into double teams and turnovers. She is good at playing a two-man game with a post player, especially Nneka.

She is a good passer, but her decision making is often suspect. I sometimes suspect that she attempts to maintain her reputation as a good facilitator at the expense of effectiveness. She was a unique player in her time, but their are many more players coming into the league her size who have similar skils they just don't show them as much.

In respects to Fisher. His abilities aside, he got the job because of Parker. Parker has a huge amount of influence onf the Sparks. This is why Fisher started her instead of of easing her into the offense. While I have never really been a big fan of Sims, she can be a very effective player when she is allowed to play her game. Her first season with the Sparks was an example of that. Last season Parker handled the ball so much that someones ball handling time had to be reduced and it became Sims. I often suspect that that Parker was a mitigating factor in Sim's trade------- Or perhaps I am getting really over the top with my speculative conspiraciy theories.

The most expendable player combined with relatively huge trade value was Parker. She was the one that should have been traded, but she has so much pull with the Sparks that would never ever happen unless she requested it. They probably could have worked out a trade for Cambage involving another team using Parker. ------

PostPosted: 07/16/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well with the Williams 10 game suspension coupled with the injuries, we are especially thin and any hopes of getting it together this season look bleak. Too many injuries or absences to key players have resulted in lack of chemistry. We have been coasting along as a (barely) + .500 team. That being said, here's what we have left right now:

Gray/Mabrey
Wiese
TRP/Beard
N. Ogwumike
C. Ogwumike/Brown

INJURED: Jones, Parker, Vadeeva
SUSPENDED: Williams

I feel like starting Beard leads to offensive stagnation, especially coupled with TRP. We saw that during the first game of the season. That leaves Mabrey or Wiese in the first unit. Mabrey is more gifted offensively and a better passer, but her defense is atrocious and makes Wiese look like All Defense 2nd Team! Not that bad, but Wiese can (somewhat) stay in front of someone. Mabrey hasn't remotely learned that yet.

If we can take two of three games before the All Star break (DAL, @NYL, ATL) and get at least a couple players back after the break, we can stay afloat. Come on Sparks!
toad455

PostPosted: 07/16/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling they're bringing back Ashley Walker. If not her, possibly Karlie Samuelson.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/16/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beard didn't play in their last game, so I wonder if she'll play Thursday. That would leave them with 7. I have to imagine they're asking for a hardship exemption now. Again, likely Ashley Walker or Karlie Samuelson.

Gray/Mabrey
Wiese
Ruffin-Pratt
N. Ogwumike
C. Ogwumike/Brown

QUESTIONABLE: Beard
INJURED: Jones, Parker, Vadeeva
SUSPENDED: Williams

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/16/19 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can a team use a suspended player (particularly when they already knew of her transgression before signing her) as a reason to justify a hardship exemption?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/16/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Can a team use a suspended player (particularly when they already knew of her transgression before signing her) as a reason to justify a hardship exemption?

Wouldn’t make sense to allow it, but if they have three injuries, that should be enough.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/17/19 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any updates on CP3’s ankle? I didn’t see it or hear anything about it other than ‘Out’ Confused

toad455

PostPosted: 07/17/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

apparently, Karlie Samuelson was at the Sparks practice today. I'm guessing she'll be signed tomorrow under a hardship contract and play tomorrow.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/18/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks sign Karlie Samuelson to a 7-day contract. Odd that it's not a hardship contract.

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/sparks-sign-karlie-samuelson-2/

Shades

PostPosted: 07/18/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/25cZ5A81fbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JeFDc5Bl_Q4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SZqSxPWgIb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On Riquna Williams, Fisher said “nobody’s perfect”. Chiney said “things happen”. So there seems to be some acknowledgement that they know something happened.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 07/18/19 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 07/18/19 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post gam interview sounds painful

PostPosted: 07/18/19 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

This is Karlie's third time with the Sparks. Who holds the WNBA record for being cut and re-signed with the same team?

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/19/19 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
pilight wrote:

This is Karlie's third time with the Sparks. Who holds the WNBA record for being cut and re-signed with the same team?

I'm thinking Karlie may have the record (at at least in recent years) and it is frustrating for many of us to see her go through this. I really, really REAAALLY hope she gets a solid chance to show what she has and gets a spot on the team. Going from a coach who really favors vets to one who either by style or out of necessity is open to giving the entire squad time on the floor, should help with that. I know it's awkward but I love that she's positive and open and is aware of the path that many great players like Quigley (Breland, heck TRP and Wheeler) have taken. I've always wondered about the "hitch" she has in her jumper but she looked pretty good in the Eurobasket Qualifer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoI8qW2Qp9E

In light of everything with Bay.. and I'm not sure about Alexis's injury ( I hope she gets a chance too), hopefully things work out. We shall see!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/24/19 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Karlie …

Play-by-play breakdown: Karlie Samuelson’s performance on Ryan’s Mystery Playdate
https://highposthoops.com/2019/07/24/karlie-samuelson-ryans-mystery-playdate/

PostPosted: 08/07/19 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are 2.5 games out of first place. We are getting healthy at last. Barring a major injury (or injuries), we can climb into one of the top two spots and really make some serious noise.

PostPosted: 08/07/19 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
We are 2.5 games out of first place. We are getting healthy at last. Barring a major injury (or injuries), we can climb into one of the top two spots and really make some serious noise.

Completely agree. In terms of losses, #1 CON has 6 losses, # 2 WAS has 7 losses, and # 3 LVA has 8 losses, same as the Sparks. I predict/hope WAS will move up to # 1, LAS to # 2, LVA stays at # 3, and CON drops to # 4. We'll see. We have one game left against each of the three teams above us. We need to win each one so we have the tiebreaker (currently tied 1-1 vs. CON and WASH, 2-1 vs. LVA, with one more game to come).
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 08/09/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may have enjoyed the second video a little too much! lol!

https://twitter.com/ballislife/status/1159824810794524674

https://twitter.com/LA_Sparks/status/1159904577396699136

HBD Fish!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/19 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Lisa Leslie statue at Staples?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-04/sparks-lisa-leslie-statue-at-staples-center

Quote:
“We look forward to sitting down with Sparks ownership to negotiate a new lease for the 2020 WNBA season and beyond,” said Lee Zeidman, president of Staples Center, Microsoft Theater and LA Live. “In addition, we plan to discuss the timing and placement of a permanent statue at Staples Center honoring one of the great all-time WNBA players, Lisa Leslie.”

PostPosted: 09/05/19 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will it have her Olympic gold medals draped around her neck? Otherwise it wouldn't be authentic.

- Amanda Gorman
jap

PostPosted: 09/05/19 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Will it have her Olympic gold medals draped around her neck? Otherwise it wouldn't be authentic.

Don't forget the purple ribbons!

PostPosted: 09/05/19 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle and Zap both hilarious and appropriate Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/05/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or maybe a smaller piece a few feet away of the extension Lauren Jackson pulled out and left on the baseline ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: