RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mentally abusive culture within UCR's women's hoops
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/30/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Maybe someone should ask #31 whether she minds being called #31 in a press conference, rather than us getting all hostile on her behalf.

Oh, I forgot, the game is to bash Coach McCallie for any and all reasons possible, real or imagined.

Perhaps you should focus on the macro, not the micro.

Or do you believe the allegations, investigation, W/L record, etc. do not seem to matter?

Or did you miss where I stated multiple times above that the reference to a player's jersey is not even close to her biggest offense?

Or is this simply another GlennMacGrady post, where hyperbole supplants facts/evidence and it is the spectacle that matters? That seems to be closer to the case...

Howee

PostPosted: 08/30/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oh, I forgot, the game is to bash Coach McCallie for any and all reasons possible, real or imagined.

Yes. For ANY and ALL reasons. Rolling Eyes

Hey....if the shoe fits..... Razz

PostPosted: 08/30/19 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Maybe someone should ask #31 whether she minds being called #31 in a press conference, rather than us getting all hostile on her behalf.

Perhaps you should focus on the macro, not the micro.

Or do you believe the allegations, investigation, W/L record, etc. do not seem to matter?

Or did you miss where I stated multiple times above that the reference to a player's jersey is not even close to her biggest offense?

Or is this simply another GlennMacGrady post, where hyperbole supplants facts/evidence and it is the spectacle that matters? That seems to be closer to the case...

"Perhaps" I can focus on any aspect of the topic that I, not you, feel like.

In fact, I was not even responding to your post, but to FrozenLVFan's on the specific micro issue of using jersey numbers in press conferences, which is what Clay, Howee, Frozen and even you in one post had specifically been discussing in posts immediately prior to mine.

If I were interested in responding to the "macro" bashing of Coach McCallie by you and handful of other disgruntled Duke posters, repetitively and approximately 2877 times since 2008, I would have done so. I've "preferred" not to -- as you are highly intelligent enough to realize were you not more interested, it seems, in hyperbole and spectacle and feeling huffy.

Very simply, I find it ironic and amusing that a bunch of people who hide behind anonymous and often goofy phony names, and habitually converse with unintelligible acronyms, punctuation marks and and cartoon faces, expect others to feel outrage when a coach occasionally uses a jersey number during a post-game analysis. Other than that, Cam, your analysis was, I'm sure, macroscopically brilliant.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/30/19 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Very simply, I find it ironic and amusing that a bunch of people who hide behind anonymous and often goofy phony names, and habitually converse with unintelligible acronyms, punctuation marks and and cartoon faces, expect others to feel outrage when a coach occasionally uses a jersey number during a post-game analysis. Other than that, Cam, your analysis was, I'm sure, macroscopically brilliant.

I find it ironic and amusing that a person who can write thousands of words of "hyperbolic word salad" is criticizing someone else for hyperbole, completely overlooking the facts/evidence presented multiple times in this thread.

But as you said:

Certainly true.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/30/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
I think that using jersey numbers during games to indicate defensive assignments, etc is fine. However, calling opposing players "Number 31" during post-game interviews is pretty rude and unprofessional.

Off with her head!

Who?

P.

P? That's disrespectful.

Geno Auriemma frequently calls his players "guys" and sometimes refers to the other team's star player as something like "their main guy" or "their key guy". Is he being disrespectful, rude, unprofessional, sexist, homophobic? You decide. I think he's just adopting a speech affectation, that of the eternal Philly schoolyard guy.

Maybe P just likes to affect the speech of professorial analyst.

I hope not, given that we all have criticized WCBB commentators and analysts for referring to players by the wrong name or by number when they just can't be bothered to get the name right.

I made my comment because Howee and Clay seemed to be talking about different things, that of using numbers to refer to players during games and later during interviews. I couldn't care less about bashing McCallie or not bashing McCallie. I have no dog in the hunt of Duke's basketball program. I think the failure to address other people by name in a work-related setting, particularly one that is televised, is both unprofessional and rude when one clearly knows their name. I couldn't get away with sitting in a meeting and referring to a colleague (or competitor) as "the guy/woman in the blue shirt" instead of Mr. or Ms. Smith. She's supposed to be a professional adult.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/31/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I hope not, given that we all have criticized WCBB commentators and analysts for referring to players by the wrong name or by number when they just can't be bothered to get the name right.

I made my comment because Howee and Clay seemed to be talking about different things, that of using numbers to refer to players during games and later during interviews. I couldn't care less about bashing McCallie or not bashing McCallie. I have no dog in the hunt of Duke's basketball program. I think the failure to address other people by name in a work-related setting, particularly one that is televised, is both unprofessional and rude when one clearly knows their name. I couldn't get away with sitting in a meeting and referring to a colleague (or competitor) as "the guy/woman in the blue shirt" instead of Mr. or Ms. Smith. She's supposed to be a professional adult.

In sports numbers are a clear identifier of the person, in your example “blue shirt” is not a clear identifier of the person unless he is only allowed to wear blue and no one else is allowed to wear blue. In sports athletes often times put their number their autographs, in locker rooms and on equipment often times just their numbers will be up and the athletes know exactly what is there’s and where to go.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 09/04/19 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
A most unfortunate, sad story; very reminiscent of Renee Portland, McCallie, et.al. WHY do coaches even begin to imagine those tactics are productive?

I'll be interested to see any updates, if anybody here finds them.

Or Lavonda Wagner. She just lost her mind and her players bore the brunt of her psychotic abuse.

PostPosted: 09/12/19 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UC Riverside women’s basketball coach John Margaritis placed on unpaid leave
University reacts to allegations from former players, as well as current, of emotional and verbal abuse; Seyram Bell is the interim coach
https://www.pe.com/2019/09/12/uc-riverside-womens-basketball-coach-john-margaritis-placed-on-unpaid-leave/

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 09/13/19 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riverside coach on leave amid 2nd investigation

Mechelle Voepel
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27603933/riverside-coach-leave-amid-2nd-investigation

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/13/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If even half of what's said about Margaritis is true. he should be fired immediately and should never coach again, especially should never coach women. He's an awful person, period, never mind an awful coach.

PostPosted: 09/13/19 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"If even half of what's said about Margaritis is true. he should be fired immediately and should never coach again, especially should never coach women. He's an awful person, period, never mind an awful coach."

The allegations against Sheryl Swoopes were just as bad if not worse and you had no problem defending her.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 09/14/19 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The pattern of alleged abuse that forced John Margaritis out as UCR coach
Several former women’s basketball players describe verbal and mental abuse by the 15-year coach, who resigned Friday
https://www.pe.com/2019/09/14/the-pattern-of-alleged-abuse-that-forced-john-margaritis-out-as-ucr-coach/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/14/19 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
"If even half of what's said about Margaritis is true. he should be fired immediately and should never coach again, especially should never coach women. He's an awful person, period, never mind an awful coach."

The allegations against Sheryl Swoopes were just as bad if not worse and you had no problem defending her.

She didn't get away with it for 15 years either. And if you want to go back and dig that up....also not sure that they were "just as bad." Did you read the whole article, not the Voepel one but the original one? I don't think Swoopes did anything like what Margaritis did to his player that had the C-section. Not even close.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
The pattern of alleged abuse that forced John Margaritis out as UCR coach
Several former women’s basketball players describe verbal and mental abuse by the 15-year coach, who resigned Friday
https://www.pe.com/2019/09/14/the-pattern-of-alleged-abuse-that-forced-john-margaritis-out-as-ucr-coach/

Would they consider re-hiring Mendiola? Would she return?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: