RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 08/22/19 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad - McCamish was reported to have charged the same as Dream were paying at Philips in another thread and drew poorly. Gateway could probably provide all the seats actually needed this season. I think its unlikely to happen but more likely than Nashville, Louisville or the other South East US cities mentioned above, if in fact, the Dream are leaving.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/23/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will always and forever say no to going back to McCamish. Nothing against the arena itself or against Midtown or against Tech. But, getting TO McCamish is tough. Even if you take Marta, you still have about a 10 minute walk to and from the arena. Parking at the arena isn't plentiful (it's Midtown, parking is at a premium).

At least SFA has parking around, so that's good. I wouldn't mind College Park. I haven't been able to make any games this year sadly due to work and travel and such.

If I thought they would draw well there, I would even suggest Infinite Energy in Duluth. But McCamish, that's a big no.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/23/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Infinite Energy = Infinite Traffic jam on 85 and 285. I used to go to ECHL hockey games there. On a weeknight it took 2 hours to get there and a little over 30 minutes to return home after the game. Made the roughly 1 hour trip to SF look good. Seems like a no go for most fans who live inside the perimeter off of 400 on the west side, or anywhere of I-20. It would probably work mainly for fans that live near I-85 outside the perimeter.

McCamish saved me the last 15 minute at least compared to SF so I kind of like it. But i was apparently the only one. Once I went to the STH Select a Seat night at McCamish and I was the only STH there. Had a nice chat with Michael Cooper though. BTW - I could never see why the 10 minute walk for MARTA was such a problem, but it was.

The best I can figure College Park MARTA Station is about a 15 minute walk to the new arena. If you ride a few more minutes to the airport, you can take the Sky Train directly to the arena area. It would take me about an hour to get there from the north most MARTA station. East-West riders would have to change trains. N-S riders have to change trains for SF.

Gee - this is starting to sound like a NY thread now.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/23/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

The best I can figure College Park MARTA Station is about a 15 minute walk to the new arena. If you ride a few more minutes to the airport, you can take the Sky Train directly to the arena area. It would take me about an hour to get there from the north most MARTA station. East-West riders would have to change trains. N-S riders have to change trains for SF.

Gee - this is starting to sound like a NY thread now

Admit it, you studied our thread for style and presentation before putting up this post.

PostPosted: 08/23/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Knoxville. Louisville. Columbia itself. Small markets, but if any of these cities has just one rich person that’s interested in owning a WNBA team, the fan bases and venues are pretty built in already.

I think it is a misconception, or at least an assumption, that "built-in" fan bases exist in cities where there is strong fan support for NCAA sports. I know there are many determining factors for starting a franchise, but I would be wary about using this as one.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/23/19 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Infinite Energy = Infinite Traffic jam on 85 and 285. I used to go to ECHL hockey games there. On a weeknight it took 2 hours to get there and a little over 30 minutes to return home after the game. Made the roughly 1 hour trip to SF look good. Seems like a no go for most fans who live inside the perimeter off of 400 on the west side, or anywhere of I-20. It would probably work mainly for fans that live near I-85 outside the perimeter.

McCamish saved me the last 15 minute at least compared to SF so I kind of like it. But i was apparently the only one. Once I went to the STH Select a Seat night at McCamish and I was the only STH there. Had a nice chat with Michael Cooper though. BTW - I could never see why the 10 minute walk for MARTA was such a problem, but it was.

Gee - this is starting to sound like a NY thread now.

Well, I already live and work OTP so that's why I suggested Infinite Energy haha. But to succeed there, you'd have to have suburban fans since there is no good public transportation to Duluth from ITP (why do they vote down MARTA, actually, don't answer that)

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/23/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Knoxville. Louisville. Columbia itself. Small markets, but if any of these cities has just one rich person that’s interested in owning a WNBA team, the fan bases and venues are pretty built in already.

I think it is a misconception, or at least an assumption, that "built-in" fan bases exist in cities where there is strong fan support for NCAA sports. I know there are many determining factors for starting a franchise, but I would be wary about using this as one.

I agree, just because a town supports a women's college team doesn't necessarily mean they will support a WNBA team. The same goes with other sports, football for example. Towns will support college football, but not necessarily have a huge clamoring for NFL.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/23/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
And1 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I agree, just because a town supports a women's college team doesn't necessarily mean they will support a WNBA team. The same goes with other sports, football for example. Towns will support college football, but not necessarily have a huge clamoring for NFL.

This is because, for reasons that are incomprehensible to me, personally, many people root for college sports teams for reasons that have nothing to do with the sports, themselves.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel will not play in the season finale

https://twitter.com/AtlantaDream/status/1169256397038424064

Quote:
In lieu of live action, McCoughtry will wear her uniform and participate in a ceremonial aspect of the game on Sunday, September 8 at 4pm.

PostPosted: 09/04/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
In lieu of live action, McCoughtry will wear her uniform and participate in a ceremonial aspect of the game on Sunday, September 8 at 4pm.

Player of the decade or maybe the Inspiring Woman of the night?

Maybe announce the All-Time Dream Team:

Angel - MVP
Hayes
Erika
Sancho
Either, Sykes, Lehning, Price, Harding or Montgomery for the final spot? Tough because no one stands out.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/04/19 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Angel - MVP
Hayes
Erika
Sancho
Either, Sykes, Lehning, Price, Harding or Montgomery for the final spot? Tough because no one stands out.

Not B-Money?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B-Money?? Bentley? Sorry she is B-Counterfeit after this season.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
B-Money?? Bentley? Sorry she is B-Counterfeit after this season.

Betty Lennox haha. I went to a Dream game a few years ago when she was their "star" and that's how they referred to her lol

pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Angel - MVP
Hayes
Erika
Sancho

Izi Castro Marques should get the 5th spot

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh yeah - Izzy probably my all time favorite Dream player - how could I forget. I still have her autographed jersey. Lennox should have been on my list too, but she only played one season with the Dream.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/04/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the ALL Time Dream Team is:

MVP Angel
Tip
Erika
Sancho
Izzy

Now who is the coach? It seems like Meadors to me. Most wins, helped get the team off the ground and coached all of the above until Angel fired her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/04/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah Izzy was so fun to watch. She made amazing 'layups' from 6-8 feet out.

- Amanda Gorman
Angus24

PostPosted: 09/04/19 4:45 pm    ::: Hurricane Reply Reply with quote

Any problem for the game tomorrow?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/04/19 5:47 pm    ::: Re: Hurricane Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Any problem for the game tomorrow?

Not sure what you mean by problem, but it is on CBS Sports Network, so probably blackouts will be an issue.

uconNection

PostPosted: 09/04/19 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Tiffany Hayes?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AtlantaDream/status/1170805083191296000

Quote:
Something BIG is coming soon Dream fans

PostPosted: 09/08/19 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope it's a great arena deal ... if Atlanta can survive and thrive, it would be great for the league.

PostPosted: 09/08/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/AtlantaDream/status/1170805083191296000

Quote:
Something BIG is coming soon Dream fans

Dream will be the first Female Big 3 team..... Razz

Scarab

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also just posted this in the Dream 2020 thread. Got an email tonight that the Dream will not be returning to State Farm Arena.

"ATLANTA DREAM STATEMENT:

In an effort to keep you informed, there will be an article online this evening and in tomorrow’s Atlanta Journal-Constitution regarding the Dream and State Farm Arena. At the sole discretion of the management of State Farm Arena and the Atlanta Hawks, we will not be returning to State Farm Arena in 2020. However, we are speaking with multiple locations with a decision to be made in the coming weeks. 

We are committed to our fans, our sponsors and the Atlanta community and are excited to continue to bring the best women’s basketball to our city. 

Your continued support of the franchise has been second-to-none. We believe the future is bright for the Atlanta Dream! Beyond the arena announcement, we will have more exciting news to share in the coming month - so stay tuned!"

PostPosted: 09/09/19 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This exciting news seems quite mysterious......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: