RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Are We Officially Desensitized To These Mass Shootings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/31/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another weekend, same bullshit.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/odessa-shooting/index.html

PostPosted: 08/31/19 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

This is so old it's exhausting. Yet still, nothing will change. There will be more next week, and the week after and the following month. And still, nothing will change.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/31/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

This is so old it's exhausting. Yet still, nothing will change. There will be more next week, and the week after and the following month. And still, nothing will change.

The NRA family members could be victims and they still wouldn't budge on background checks.

PostPosted: 09/01/19 2:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here's a headline for you:

Fifty-one people died in mass shootings in the U.S. this August alone.

PostPosted: 09/01/19 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andddd....TX this month begins allowing folks to carry guns to church, keep guns in their cars at school, etc.

I'm curious: Can Texans carry their guns right on into a Trump Rally? Can they carry their guns into an NRA rally? I really wish they could, but....something makes me think that's not allowed. THOSE PEOPLE couldn't have anyone shooting up THEIR party, eh? But, go ahead....bring 'em on into your churches and schoolyards.

PostPosted: 09/03/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is this nonsense about not having background checks? Every time I buy a gun there is a mandatory background check that happens. For yours truly that included the most recent purchase I made last week, which was a USED AR15 on a private sale in CT. Same check was done when I bought a new firearm. These checks ars federally mandated. Would it kill some of you to have a clue what you were talking about?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/03/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
What is this nonsense about not having background checks? Every time I buy a gun there is a mandatory background check that happens. For yours truly that included the most recent purchase I made last week, which was a USED AR15 on a private sale in CT. Same check was done when I bought a new firearm. These checks ars federally mandated. Would it kill some of you to have a clue what you were talking about?

A background check is also required to get a gun license in the first place

PostPosted: 09/03/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not all sales require background checks. There are many loopholes. Gun shows, and many private one to one sales especially. This opens up straw purchasing.

There is also the problem that there is little consistency in the background checks that do exist, with some locals having extremely lax standards on who qualifies for ownership.

PostPosted: 09/03/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

"Gun licence"? As if the NRA would allow the federal government to require those. Some states require a permit to buy or own, but many (most even?) do not.

PostPosted: 09/03/19 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

"Gun licence"? As if the NRA would allow the federal government to require those. Some states require a permit to buy or own, but many (most even?) do not.

A license to carry a gun is what pilight meant by a gun license

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/03/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I know what he means. My point was the non sequitur. A background check may be required to get a "gun license" but "gun licences" are not required in many/most states.

The key word in universal background check legislation is "universal". 100% of gun sales should be checked. No one falling through cracks. The way the laws are right now, it is nowhere near 100%.

PostPosted: 09/03/19 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I know what he means. My point was the non sequitur. A background check may be required to get a "gun license" but "gun licences" are not required in many/most states.

The key word in universal background check legislation is "universal". 100% of gun sales should be checked. No one falling through cracks. The way the laws are right now, it is nowhere near 100%.

What good would more background checks do? Most of the perps out there either obtain their firearms illegally, or would pass a bg check anyways based on having no priors. I would go as far as to say that less than a small fraction of a percent guns in legal sales are used in a murder. Going after the most law-abiding group of people (statistically) wouldn't change a thing for the better.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/03/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What good do any laws do? Only good people follow them!

While there are surely bad actors that could/would find their way to guns, many of the gun deaths that happen occur in the spur of the moment. Keeping mentally unstable people, or people with violent histories from easily purchasing a gun will make a positive impact there. Buying a black market gun isn't exactly easy for someone not connected to that world, and except in the most extreme of circumstances isn't going to be worth the risk/effort.

You also then force people to buy illegal firearms, which gives the police something to arrest them for before they hurt someone with their weapon. Like the abusive husband who shouldn't be able to buy a gun. Universal Background Checks makes his family much, much less likely to become murder victims.

PostPosted: 09/03/19 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1865" height="769" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PuLUhyCy9To" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/PuLUhyCy9To

PostPosted: 09/03/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1865" height="769" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OlTgCuKFYgw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTgCuKFYgw

PostPosted: 09/03/19 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This specious argument continues to go round 'n round....but some things remain abundantly clear:

*TOO many people that should NOT have access to guns, DO.
*TOO many weapons of mass killing (Assault rifles, for example) are readily available.
*TOO many people die from gun violence.

If 51 people were killed by Muslims or Mexicans this past month, the political screeching would be unbearable. Yet white men kill with impunity, as far as the authorities are helpless to stop them. It is domestic terrorism. In other countries, car bombs take out 10 or 20 people. Here, we do it with the Good Ol' American Institution, The Gun....preferably with an assault rifle to maximize the killing. (you don't wanna use them on deer or elk--messes 'em up too bad!)

The blame for this rests squarely on the NRA, as the largest lobbyist on this front, and all the congressional members who sit like silenced lambs and do not speak out, for fear of their political futures.

My biggest wish? IFFF there must be another mass shooting, please let it be in a crowded NRA rally, or at a Trump rally. They are the only ones that come closest to deserving this. Yet, even that might not change their minds. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/04/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The obsession and love that people have for their guns truly terrifies me.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/04/19 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
This specious argument continues to go round 'n round....but some things remain abundantly clear:

*TOO many weapons of mass killing (Assault rifles, for example) are readily available.
*TOO many people die from gun violence.

If 51 people were killed by Muslims or Mexicans this past month, the political screeching would be unbearable. Yet white men kill with impunity, as far as the authorities are helpless to stop them. It is domestic terrorism. In other countries, car bombs take out 10 or 20 people. Here, we do it with the Good Ol' American Institution, The Gun....preferably with an assault rifle to maximize the killing. (you don't wanna use them on deer or elk--messes 'em up too bad!)

The blame for this rests squarely on the NRA, as the largest lobbyist on this front, and all the congressional members who sit like silenced lambs and do not speak out, for fear of their political futures.

My biggest wish? IFFF there must be another mass shooting, please let it be in a crowded NRA rally, or at a Trump rally. They are the only ones that come closest to deserving this. Yet, even that might not change their minds. Rolling Eyes

SQUARELY on the#OutlawGOP!

PostPosted: 09/05/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

TOO bad for you we have something called the Bill of Rights so people like you don't get to say SHIT about who gets to have what.

In fact, I just bought another firearm. Because I felt like it and for no other reason.
Howee wrote:

You know that the number of people killed by Mexicans is easily into the triple digits every month right?
Howee wrote:

Would probably be better if it just happens to you instead of all the people you want to die. Less casualties that way, and plus nobody would care.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/05/19 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Howee wrote:

TOO bad for you we have something called the Bill of Rights so people like you don't get to say SHIT about who gets to have what.

In fact, I just bought another firearm. Because I felt like it and for no other reason.
Howee wrote:

You know that the number of people killed by Mexicans is easily into the triple digits every month right?
Howee wrote:

Would probably be better if it just happens to you instead of all the people you want to die. Less casualties that way, and plus nobody would care.

Moderators: This poster just called for another poster to die. Surely that is against the rules, right?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/05/19 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When we open the door of which people we wish will be shot next, it's no surprise that it leads to an unpleasant place.
Can we be just slightly better than that?
I don't know that a bar can even be set lower than that. Come on.

PostPosted: 09/05/19 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
When we open the door of which people we wish will be shot next, it's no surprise that it leads to an unpleasant place.
Can we be just slightly better than that?
I don't know that a bar can even be set lower than that. Come on.

Really? Rolling Eyes C'mon Luc....you/jammer/whomever can do WAY better than that. Let's have a "First Class" solution. Do we possibly have a poster on our boards that qualifies for a Red Flag investigation? I certainly see the 'mentally imbalanced' part on full display.

PostPosted: 09/05/19 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, as the mod "whomever" Wink I'd echo Luuuc in saying that the best place to start in any community is not making references to anyone getting shot, no matter how distasteful that group or their policies may be.

And there is definitely no circumstance where even a veiled suggestion that harm should come to another member is acceptable.

So I'd call this my one and only warning I'll ever give on this subject, and count myself as a little sad that it has to be said.

PostPosted: 09/06/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I'd echo Luuuc in saying that the best place to start in any community is not making references to anyone getting shot, no matter how distasteful that group or their policies may be.

My quote:
Quote:
My biggest wish? IFFF there must be another mass shooting, please let it be in a crowded NRA rally, or at a Trump rally. They are the only ones that come closest to deserving this. Yet, even that might not change their minds.

....does have the qualifier "IFFF". And we all know it's not even a matter of "if", but WHEN there will be another mass shooting.

If, say, Hezbollah was in charge of handing out assault rifles to Americans committing mass murders, might we not fairly wish THEM to be the recipients of the bullets, rather than the innocents. Is THAT okay to wish?

Well, fuck the PC tone here. The NRA is every bit as complicit in sponsoring domestic terrorism, as far as I'm concerned, and yes....IFFF there is to be more bloodshed, let it NOT be that of The Innocents, but those that deserve it by their actions. The perpetrators of innocent bloodshed go beyond the trigger-pullers, and extend out to the legislators and lobbyists that refuse to intervene.

PostPosted: 09/06/19 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee. Please. Just stop.

I understand what you are trying to say, but it has nothing to do with PC. There are just certain bars that shouldn't be crossed, as Luuuc noted. Just because we start couching things with "ifs" doesn't give us carte blanche to start saying this group or that should be the victims of violence.

I know you see the NRA as a great evil complicit in deaths, but when we start mixing politics and this sort of rhetoric it leads to comments like the one that followed it, because others don't see it that way and feel personally attacked because of membership in the group referenced. And so it escalates. And eventually it forces mods to step in and the community is the less for it.

I mean, as an example, flip this narrative around and imagine how you (or I) would feel if someone said "If there is to be another murder, I hope it is someone from planned parenthood, not one of those innocent unborn babies they murder". Can't you see why it's just better for the community as a whole to not go down this road at all? PC notwithstanding?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: